Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Rick posted:

Before but also I did not change it after.

loving brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. I'm kinda weaker on the design side, so I might hit you up on that. I originally started this thinking to myself "NBADraft.nets site looks like it was made by a high schooler in 2005, I wonder what a redesign would look like". I'm not sure what backend I'll use yet, most familiar with Django but I might try node since I need to learn it.

Just hit me with a name for now, ill throw some stuff together this weekend

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Chad Ford with a lot of crazy maybe bullshit rumors. Short version: Celtics might take Josh Jackson at No. 1, Lakers looking for trades, Kennard sneaking into the top 10

quote:

"There's no way he gets to us," one GM in the late lottery said. "I don't think there's any way he's out of the top 10. We think he's the best shooter in the draft. We think he's tough. He's more athletic than you think. He really thinks the game. He's the most underrated guy in this draft."

Please God

morestuff fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 16, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I kind of like Kennard top 10 too. He was the PPP pick and roll in college, he can hit the NBA three. If you're willing to accept that sometimes non-elite-athletes have a role in the league, then yeah maybe you pick him fairly high. And while he's non-elite athletic, he's probably more athletic than Korver.

I listened to the Woj podcast to hear what he had to say about Lebron, and of course people were way blowing his comments out of proportion, but he also talked about the draft and mentioned the Josh Jackson at #1 thing. But Woj is a PR agent not a reporter so that's not super trustworthy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

I kind of like Kennard top 10 too. He was the PPP pick and roll in college, he can hit the NBA three. If you're willing to accept that sometimes non-elite-athletes have a role in the league, then yeah maybe you pick him fairly high. And while he's non-elite athletic, he's probably more athletic than Korver.

I've come around on him, but I'd also rather Charlotte get a crack at any of the other top-10 guys

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

Chad Ford with a lot of crazy maybe bullshit rumors. Short version: Celtics might take Josh Jackson st No. 1, Lakers looking for trades, Kennard sneaking into the top 10

Please God

quote:

Latest NBA draft intel on Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Lonzo Ball, Josh Jackson and more
by Chad Ford on 2017-06-11 02:09:00 UTC (original: http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider...sh-jackson-more)

This year, draft talk is circulating even more than usual, especially at the top of the draft. NBA general managers, scouts and agents are putting the puzzle together, and I'm on the phone with them all day, every day, trying to sort out solid information from rumors.

Here are three major items from GMs with strong track records of truth-telling at this time of year, involving the No. 1 pick, the No. 2 pick and fast-rising Duke star Luke Kennard.

Celtics might pull a surprise at No. 1
Markelle Fultz has been atop my Big Board since version 2.0, and his only real challenger most of the year has been Lonzo Ball.

But Josh Jackson, who was No. 1 on Big Board 1.0, has emerged as an intriguing option for the Celtics and team president Danny Ainge (even though he canceled a workout with Boston this week, according to ESPN's Jeff Goodman and Marc Spears).

2017 NBA draft
Get ready for Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball and the 2017 draft, with analysis from Chad Ford and other ESPN experts.

• Mock Draft 6.2
• Big Board 7.2
• Who's in, who's out?
• Ford: Top 100 prospect rankings

"I've picked Danny's brain for years," one GM said. "Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor. If he's keeping the pick, Jackson just to me, far and away, is the most Celtics-type player for them to draft. From all my conversations with them, I'm convinced they'll take Jackson No. 1."

He's correct in that Jackson fits the prototypical Celtics mold. Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown all fit that description, and all were first-round selections by Boston (Rondo via trade).

Jackson has yet to work out for the Celtics, according to his agent, B.J. Armstrong, who said that Jackson has worked out twice for the Lakers and once for the 76ers. Jackson is also scheduled to work out for the Suns before the draft.

"We have great respect for Boston and Danny Ainge," Armstrong said. "That's a championship-caliber organization and Josh brings the things that I know Danny values. He can defend his position at an elite level. He can rebound for his position at an elite level and he can pass for his position at an elite level. All the championship-caliber teams are looking for players who can do those three things. And I know they want winners.

"We're in dialogue with Boston. We're very respectful of them. They have the No. 1 pick and can select whoever they choose. We just need to see how things play out over the next week."

While Armstrong declined to give specifics about why Jackson hasn't worked out there, other league sources believe that it's likely that Jackson's camp feels that both the Lakers and Sixers would give Jackson a larger role from day one.

A number of agents have expressed concerns that the Celtics might not have enough playing time for their clients to develop properly, given the depth and experience of their roster. (Ball also declined a workout with Boston.)

Fit is a question mark for Jackson as well, with both Jaylen Brown and Jae Crowder already on the roster.

Don't the Celtics need players with differing skill sets? Isn't Jackson a bit duplicative, especially given the arrival of Brown last year?

Another GM doesn't see it that way.

"Jackson will be better than all of those guys [at his position in Boston]," the GM said. "Danny's looking for a star, and I think Jackson has as much or more star potential than Fultz or Ball. Everyone on the Celtics is an asset. Danny can move them all. He'll take the player he likes the best. Period. He'll figure out fit in the summer."

What do the Celtics have to say about this? They're staying mum on whom they're taking No. 1, but a source says the franchise is strongly considering options other than Fultz and that Jackson is one of those options.

"We like him a lot," the Celtics source said. "But we like several guys a lot. We've got a week to figure it out."

If Jackson doesn't work out for Boston, would that scare the Celtics away? "Absolutely not," a Celtics source said. "That's true for Josh and Lonzo and anyone else. We've done our homework. The workouts are nice, but they're not mandatory. We'll select the best player."

Scraped at insider2text.xyz, brought to you by HeheStreams — No ads, No Bullshit Live & On-Demand NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL Streaming

Will the Lakers trade the No. 2 pick?
It's a big week in L.A. Fultz held his first workout with the Lakers on Thursday, while Ball will work out for the team a second time on Friday. The session will take place at an undisclosed location where Ball can demonstrate his work ethic, a source told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne. Additionally, the Lakers are working toward finalizing a first workout with Jayson Tatum this weekend.

Add future workouts from Jackson and De'Aaron Fox to that equation, and we'll have a good idea whom the Lakers are looking to draft with the No. 2 pick. Sources say that if the Lakers keep their current pick, it's down to those five players.

The top candidates, according to sources, are Fultz, Jackson and Ball, and the latter still appears to be the team's favorite.

But another scenario has piqued the franchise's interest. The Lakers held internal discussions about trading back two spots to No. 4 if the Suns were to offer them a 2018 first-round pick. The Suns hold their own 2018 pick (which currently projects to be a high lottery pick) as well as the rights to the Miami Heat's 2018 pick. The latter pick is top-seven-protected in 2018 but unprotected in 2019.

The Lakers believe that Ball or Jackson might be available at the No. 4 spot. If not, the Lakers are still very high on Fox and Tatum, and believe that securing an additional prospect might be worth dropping two spots in the draft.

The Kings are another potential trade partner for the Lakers. They hold the rights to the fifth and 10th picks and have discussed moving up in this year's draft.

At No. 5, the Lakers might still be able to choose between Fox and Tatum (and potentially Ball), or just take the best prospect who's available. And at No. 10, other strong prospects -- such as Malik Monk, Dennis Smith, Frank Ntilikina, Lauri Markkanen, Kennard and/or Zach Collins -- would likely still be on the board. (It should be noted that the Lakers are not considering taking Smith with the No. 2 pick.)

The Lakers are looking for strong shooters, and several of the aforementioned prospects would help the franchise fill that void.

"The draft is so deep, it might be worth dropping out of the top two to get a couple of potential All-Stars," one rival GM said. "I'm not sure the gap between guys like Fox, Tatum and [Jonathan] Isaac is big enough to stop the Lakers from pulling the trigger. They'd be able to address two needs at really affordable contracts."

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the Lakers are unwilling to trade their pick if it means dropping out of the top five spots in the draft. They want to get at least one young player with star potential out of this draft, and feel confident they can acquire a veteran star during free agency in 2018.

The hot name moving up fastest: Luke Kennard
Kennard has been a polarizing prospect, but a consensus is starting to form among teams that have evaluated him recently.

He started the college season as a fringe first-round prospect, but in recent weeks he's moved up fast. Based on conversations with GMs this week, I put him in the third tier of first-round-caliber players, but teams are increasingly grouping him with other second-tier prospects.

Kennard has worked out for the Lakers, Knicks, Pistons, Heat and Pacers. He still has workouts scheduled with the Magic, Mavericks and Hornets.

The feedback from teams has been overwhelmingly positive.

"There's no way he gets to us," one GM in the late lottery said. "I don't think there's any way he's out of the top 10. We think he's the best shooter in the draft. We think he's tough. He's more athletic than you think. He really thinks the game. He's the most underrated guy in this draft."

"He's ranked ahead of Malik Monk on our board," another GM said. "He's not as athletic, but he has a much more versatile game and he's less streaky. Monk will be great. An instant scorer coming off the bench. But we think Kennard could be a full-time starter in the league."

Shooting comes at a premium right now in the NBA, and that partially explains the rise in Kennard's stock. But most teams see the former Blue Devil as more than just a shooter.

Right now it looks like the Pistons at No. 12 are Kennard's floor. But he could go higher. The Knicks, according to a team source, are seriously considering taking him at No. 8. And a Lakers source said he'd be a favorite if the team ends up with a second pick in the top 10.

It's telling that Kennard rocketed up once the coaches got chances to watch college prospects. They're acting like he's Jamal Murray but smaller, slower and less agile. Coaches

The Jackson thing is a nice idea in theory, he and Fox probably have the highest ceilings in the draft, but if he's just a slightly better Jaylen Brown then he could lose his job. And if we know Danny Ainge we know a man who wants to be the Gm of the celtics for as long as he lives.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lakers try to get cute and trade #2 for #5 and #10. Boston then draft Jackson at #1, Kings get Fultz at #2, and a new day dawns in the NBA

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Lonzo Ball gonna pull a Maciej Lampe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Are the Knicks the team in the top 10 that wants Kennard? What can we do to convince Phil that he's the guy?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

WhyteRyce posted:

Are the Knicks the team in the top 10 that wants Kennard? What can we do to convince Phil that he's the guy?

Supposedly, but everyone is fibbing like a 5 year old right now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Reminder that Chad Ford goes back and edits his mock drafts after the fact to look better

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Supposedly, but everyone is fibbing like a 5 year old right now.

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/875455052684697600

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Knicks are going to force the Mavs to draft a fake Dirk. Stop it Knicks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If the loving Lakers have loving Fultz fall into their loving laps I am going to be so loving mad

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

If the loving Lakers have loving Fultz fall into their loving laps I am going to be so loving mad

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Lakers try to get cute and trade #2 for #5 and #10. Boston then draft Jackson at #1, Kings get Fultz at #2, and a new day dawns in the NBA

This would suck a lot, although at least it would be an object lesson for why trading down is bad. The fact that the Kings were the ones to teach it would be true dramatic irony.

But honestly, Fultz removed, rather than #2, I would rather have BPA at 4 and a probable lottery pick next year, or BPA at 5 and 10, especially if that 10 is Markkanen, the real #2 player in this draft.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I would normally say this is all BS, but I don't think anyone saw Boston take Jaylen Brown last year or Cleveland taking Bennett (although that year there was no tier 1 prospects....maybe not even any tier 2). So who knows!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Chad's out of a job after this draft and apparently doesn't really need the work. I would definitely be trying to create chaos for no real reason

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

1) main names I've seen on Knicks sites have been DSJ and Frank. It looks like DSJ is rising up everyone's board so I dunno
2) Frank Isola hates the Knicks and regularly gets things wrong because of it
3) who knows

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/875740977583009793

Justin Jackson here we come

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also, Isola is the type of dude who responds to Twitter criticisms by immediately hopping into DM and arguing then blocking lol

WhyteRyce posted:

Nah. Knicks have good scouts.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

1) main names I've seen on Knicks sites have been DSJ and Frank. It looks like DSJ is rising up everyone's board so I dunno
2) Frank Isola hates the Knicks and regularly gets things wrong because of it
3) who knows

I don't think it's very Knickslike to go after a young, foreign PG that has trouble finishing at the rim and passing under pressure. Especially if Dennis Smith is there.

Isola doesn't hate the Knicks but he definitely hates Dolan and for some reason Melo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

Nah. Knicks have good scouts.

Knicks are amazing at finding guys that are good enough to get hype but not good enough to be worth the contract they end up demanding. King Zing aside.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Thank you for posting the Insider article. I wonder if they get any new subscribers or if it's all people who've been grandfathered in since a different era of media?

It'd be fun if Jackson shot back up to #1 like he was so many months ago when I first made this thread and could barely google pictures of him

Lockback posted:

Knicks are amazing at finding guys that are good enough to get hype but not good enough to be worth the contract they end up demanding. King Zing aside.

I think of it as fine at drafting and abysmal at developing.

Doltos posted:

I don't think it's very Knickslike to go after a young, foreign PG that has trouble finishing at the rim and passing under pressure. Especially if Dennis Smith is there.

Isola doesn't hate the Knicks but he definitely hates Dolan and for some reason Melo.

He's also Zach Lowe-ish thin-skinned and tends to respond to twitter criticism by getting up in people's DMs lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Thank you for posting the Insider article. I wonder if they get any new subscribers or if it's all people who've been grandfathered in since a different era of media?

It'd be fun if Jackson shot back up to #1 like he was so many months ago when I first made this thread and could barely google pictures of him

I think of it as fine at drafting and abysmal at developing.

He's also Zach Lowe-ish thin-skinned and tends to respond to twitter criticism by getting up in people's DMs lol

I've heard an espn NBA producer/editor and NFL producer/editor say they do the highest pageviews on the insider "way too early" mock drafts that come straight after the draft, it's their most reliable thing, college football recruiting/scouting, NFL draft, and NBA draft. That's why it's the only stuff, aside from Kevin Pelton's "poor man's zogo" work, and gambling tips, that has a paywall

Everyone needs to stop writing DSJ, I don't know who started it but there's nobody in the NBA named Dennis Smith. We can just say Dennis or Dennis Smith. It's driving me crazy.

Kennard, Markannen, Donovan Mitchell, Anuboby if he's not too hurt, also fit that line

morestuff posted:

Chad's out of a job after this draft and apparently doesn't really need the work. I would definitely be trying to create chaos for no real reason
That would be very funny

Here's his latest list of picks 1. Boston Celtics (via Nets) - Markelle Fultz

quote:

2. L.A. Lakers - Lonzo Ball

3. Philadelphia 76ers - Josh Jackson

4. Phoenix Suns - De'Aaron Fox

5. Sacramento Kings - Jayson Tatum

6. Orlando Magic - Jonathan Isaac

7. Minnesota Timberwolves - Lauri Markkanen

8. New York Knicks - Malik Monk

9. Dallas Mavericks - Dennis Smith

10. Sacramento Kings (via Pelicans) - Frank Ntilikina

11. Charlotte Hornets - Donovan Mitchell

12. Detroit Pistons - Luke Kennard

13. Denver Nuggets - OG Anunoby

14. Miami Heat - Zach Collins

15. Portland Trail Blazers - Harry Giles

16. Chicago Bulls - John Collins

17. Milwaukee Bucks - Ike Anigbogu

18. Indiana Pacers - TJ Leaf

19. Atlanta Hawks - Jarrett Allen

20. Portland Trail Blazers - Edrice Adebayo

21. Oklahoma City Thunder - Justin Jackson

22. Brooklyn Nets - Justin Patton

23. Toronto Raptors - Andzejs Pasecniks

24. Utah Jazz - Tony Bradley

25. Orlando Magic - Frank Jackson

26. Portland Trail Blazers - Isaiah Hartenstein

27. Brooklyn Nets - Terrance Ferguson

28. Los Angeles Lakers - D.J. Wilson

29. San Antonio Spurs - Jordan Bell

30. Utah Jazz - Tyler Lydon
Blah, nothing much contrary to the other mocks except Giles and Kennard rising, Terrance Ferguson plummetting
http://insider2text.xyz/articles/cadfb3b11abe0875 Here's two revisions ago with flavor copy

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 16, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm down with the Pacers taking TJ Leaf.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Fultz workout unsurprisingly went well.

There is a weird thing about the second Ball workout, it has like a tagline and everything, Ball is going to "prove his work ethic" in this workout and Lavar Ball is going to be involved. I don't know if this means he's going to do like 5000 pushups or like he cut 30lbs from the last workout or what.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It means ball is about to be the new chairman

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It means Lonzo works best when his father is around to motivate him and that's why the Lakers should hire LaVar what could go wrong

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

With Isaac moving up boards I keep seeing Markkanen mocked to the Wolves and it's like Kris Dunn all over again for me.

Although maybe him being bad at defense will make it less of an inevitability for Thibs to draft him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

The Fultz workout unsurprisingly went well.

There is a weird thing about the second Ball workout, it has like a tagline and everything, Ball is going to "prove his work ethic" in this workout and Lavar Ball is going to be involved. I don't know if this means he's going to do like 5000 pushups or like he cut 30lbs from the last workout or what.

Hey Rick, want to get super depressed about not getting Fultzz with me?

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/875819914468233218
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/875820241972064256

And yes, I would do Randle + #2 for Fultz and I love Randle a lot

EDIT: Other news
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/875820453805268992

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol at Boston valuing randle

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holy god pleeeeese

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/875821059387383808

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are at t he parameter stage

:stare:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojverticalnba/status/875822236946575360

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

‘Hola SEA!

Randle would actually help their awful rebounding a lot, in the short term Randle and the 2 is probably a faster way to improve the team. But I just don't see trading out of a guy who looks like a sure thing into spot where you have to choose from amongst a smorgasbord of really good but really flawed looking guys and hope you don't gently caress up.

Or perhaps I'm crazy and Ainge's ASSET FETISH cannot be contained

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/875822236946575360

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The gently caress, Boston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/875823262982434817

• Locked thread