Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Gortarius posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but... did Trumps violin boy story say that the guy who played the sick tunes on that violin is the cuban violin boy?

If so, is he just some Joe Shmuck off the streets they hired in hopes that no one would recognize him and call the story a load of poo poo?

Regardless I think this is going to be another reason for the press and everyone else to laugh at Trump. This was a complete shitshow.

He is an actual conductor and violin dude.

e: god drat, a third time today??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Boon posted:

I don't know, but the UCMJ only applies to DoD personnel so that's how far it can extend

the DCIS investigates crimes affecting the military, whether they are done by uniformed service members, civilian DoD employees, contractors, the public, etc...

The investigation started with Flynn failing to report the money he received from Russia and Turkey, but there isn't a limit to how far it can go, as long as it involves the military.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That whole show was an attempt to feed him some narcissistic supply so he calms down for a few days, right? Like, the closest they could get to a campaign rally?

And he's so dumb he has no idea he's being handled like a child.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

Stop. Think. What is your best case scenario and timeline if Meuller gets fired?

If it turns out Trump is actually culpable for anything, currently, what is the worst case scenario and timeline?

I feel like you're just trying to 'nothing matters' out on the situation without saying it openly.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

business hammocks posted:

That whole show was an attempt to feed him some narcissistic supply so he calms down for a few days, right? Like, the closest they could get to a campaign rally?

And he's so dumb he has no idea he's being handled like a child.

The Saudis had him figured out so perfectly it's hilarious.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

I feel like you're just trying to 'nothing matters' out on the situation without saying it openly.

No I'm trying to say that Meuller seems seriously engaged in this investigation, has hired a bunch of people that also seem to be, and has made a lot of moves that may lead to this administration crashing down if they can show a case to be made.

If they can't, then I'd rather they not just make shirt up on purely political lines.

If he gets fired, then the best case is someone else gets appointed that will make the same moves and hire similar people but now we're months behind and with another layer of scrutiny and obfuscation thrown in on top.

Firing Meuller is very bad for Trump, but it's ALSO very bad for the Truump investigation.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 16, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Do you think it's possible there isn't a single Bork in the Justice Department? Like, what if we wake up tomorrow and the entire DoJ has exactly zero employees as Trump tries to get rid of Mueller but literally nobody will do it.?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

Isn't most of the Saudi royalty kinda similar.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do you think it's possible there isn't a single Bork in the Justice Department? Like, what if we wake up tomorrow and the entire DoJ has exactly zero employees as Trump tries to get rid of Mueller but literally nobody will do it.?

There's always a willing toady somewhere.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/875761295710195714

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/875762166065975300

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/875764194917920768

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/875761776683606016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think a career guy that's also a toady is going to be harder and harder to find as it's REALLY clear now that Trump doesn't g ive a poo poo about loyalty once he needs a fall guy and anyone attached to him has a lot more to lose than gain if you aren't part of his absolute inner circle of criminal family members.

Like a guy that's willing to be remembered as the dude that helped destroy the institutions of the US government by facilitating a criminal president is going to have to be offered something REALLY good to do it and Trump isn't known for paying his debts. The guy that lets Trump off the hook will be thrown to the wolves the next day as an example of corruption in government and how Trump is fighting it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 16, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Night10194 posted:

Oh, totally. I just mean, say, for the time after the Comey Letter they kept him so doped up on rallies that they were able to shut him up until they got over the goal line.

The problem of his presidency is they *can't* keep him doped with rallies all the time.

Reince Priebus sat in his office, reviewing the speech notes. Suddenly, the door swung open, revealing a flustered and sweating Steve Bannon.

"WHERE IS HE?" Bannon roared.

"What are you talking about?" Priebus said. "Where he always is."

Priebus gestured towards the computer monitor on his desk, which was presently broadcasting a live feed from the Oval Office. In its grainy screen the President sat behind his desk, eating a taco bowl. Bannon swung around Priebus' desk, heaving. He reached down and grabbed the lapels of Reince's jacket.

"YOU FOOL!" He shouted, covering Priebus in a cloud of Southern Comfort. "THE CLOCK! THE GODDAMN CLOCK!"

For a moment Priebus stared blankly. Then his eyes grew large as realization took hold. He turned back to the monitor. A clock was visible on the wall of the Oval Office. It read "12:35pm." Priebus looked at his own watch. 1:45pm.

"Oh god," he whispered.

They ran down the hall, bursting through the doors of the Oval Office. But it was already too late. The chair behind the ornate desk was empty,, the half-eaten taco bowl cold to the touch. And carved into the polished surface of the desk itself was one sentence:

ALL WORK AND NO TWEETS MAKES DONNIE LOW ENERGY

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 16, 2017

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, somewhere down the line is someone who really needs to stay on, if only for the health insurance.

Relatedly, here's an interesting piece from LFB on what a world of poo poo Rachel Brand may be stepping into: https://lawfareblog.com/if-rod-rosenstein-recuses-what-happens-next

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wow, I guess the enemy of my enemy is not my friend!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

fishing with the fam posted:

There's always a willing toady somewhere.

Depends on how many he had to get through to find them. Imagine waking up to find that Trump has fired 20 attorneys just to get to one who ultimately fired Mueller. The media circus would make the Comey firing look like peanuts in comparison.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Radish posted:

Everyone has. Any intelligent person would have woken up when the Tajik president mocked his handshake.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Radish posted:

AND the king still made him bow.

:owned:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It'd be pretty funny (if it wasn't screwing us so badly) that acting like a rough and tough guy everyone totally respects to the average American conservative person means posturing like an rear end in a top hat while every one is mocking you to your face but you are just too dumb to realize it.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 16, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

IUG posted:

Wow, I guess the enemy of my enemy is not my friend!

Isn't it great how even terrible, awful people can get pissed up by him.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Isn't it great how even terrible, awful people can get pissed up by him.

I think Ann was just really looking forward to the wall.

I bet she had dreams of reclining on the battlements and throwing bricks down on a horde of grasping Mexicans while she sipped a frosty bellini

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
If he tries to pull another massacre, he will probably have to go through enough US attorneys that it would be an actual, ongoing story. Live updates, chyrons and all. That'll be loving surreal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Radish posted:

It'd be pretty funny (if it wasn't screwing us so badly) that acting like a rough and tough guy everyone totally respects to the average American white conservative person means posturing like an rear end in a top hat while every one is mocking you to your face but you are just too dumb to realize it.

Rural white tough guy culture is extremely performative and extremely preposterous to anyone not steeped in it. That Trump acts so much like one of them is pure coincidence, obviously, but there might be something similar in the pure desperation of his masculine posturing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As an addendum to why I think ultimately firing Meuller is a bad thing, the GOP is not a functioning body. Yeah, no poo poo you say. But that wasn't a foregone conclusion.

When Obama was president, GOP obstructionism very clearly served a longterm political goal, and it worked very well. The House has essentially always been a wilder body more prone to populism. Part of that is driven by the 2-year cycle, part because lowered expectations at the very outset of it's founding. They essentially blew their foot off with the AHCA and are expected to pay a price for that and their stalwart support of Trump. The House leadership miscalculated on their long-term goal and will probably lose.

However, what has changed is the Senate. Long considered the more deliberative and mature body, the AHCA was expected to be DOA precisely because it doesn't serve a long-term political interest. With the increasing realization, however, that the Senate is now only focused on getting it passed to mark a 'win', they have abandoned all governance, completely nakedly and eyes wide open, in favor of short-term expediency. That turn around essentially means that the firing of Meuller in no way guarantees that the Congress will act responsibly. That is so incredibly different from Nixon as to be not even comparable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I have a dropped a brick at the border but it was not what I'd consider wall building material.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trump could fire Mueller, blatantly state that he did it because of the Russia investigation, and Congress would do nothing. He basically did as much when he fired Comey, and all Republicans did was shrug.

I'm not as confident as a lot of people that firing Mueller would be good. I want the investigation to continue, because I'm afraid there's a very real chance that it could actually be suppressed.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

nerdz posted:

This move hurts his hotel competitors real bad, actually. Marriott in particular

Isn't that like a softball over the middle of the plate for an emoluments lawsuit? Like, clear harm to a competitor to benefit the office holder?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't know why Trump hasn't fired him already. I can't think of a negative other than the media freaking out since congress has already made it clear they will not hold him accountable for literally anything no matter how blatantly illegal.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If Mueller gets fired, does that mean the investigation goes back to the FBI? I mean Acting Director McCabe doesn't seem to want to shut it all down.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Trump could fire Mueller, blatantly state that he did it because of the Russia investigation, and Congress would do nothing. He basically did as much when he fired Comey, and all Republicans did was shrug.

Firing Comey is the very thing that got Mueller appointed, in fact

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Radish posted:

I think a career guy that's also a toady is going to be harder and harder to find as it's REALLY clear now that Trump doesn't g ive a poo poo about loyalty once he needs a fall guy and anyone attached to him has a lot more to lose than gain if you aren't part of his absolute inner circle of criminal family members.

Like a guy that's willing to be remembered as the dude that helped destroy the institutions of the US government by facilitating a criminal president is going to have to be offered something REALLY good to do it and Trump isn't known for paying his debts. The guy that lets Trump off the hook will be thrown to the wolves the next day as an example of corruption in government and how Trump is fighting it.
Not to mention that Trump has nominated so few people (and a not insignificant number of them haven't been confirmed yet), that could he run out of people who could even become the acting AG? There may not be enough folks left in the building to find a Bork.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah, but he wasn't appointed by Congress. If Trump wants to exercise dictatorial control over the DoJ, the odds are that Congress won't check him.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Wait so if globe going up stairs is north?

I ... what?? What is this?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

I don't know why Trump hasn't fired him already. I can't think of a negative other than the media freaking out since congress has already made it clear they will not hold him accountable for literally anything no matter how blatantly illegal.

Republicans will be forced to do something about Trump once his cloud of poo poo starts impeding their evil plans.

If the Trump Hearings means they can't choke poor and minority people by shoving lignite down their gullet while cutting food stamps to pay for it, that will finally be unacceptable.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Legislative Branch will take action against Trump when they definitively believe he will cost them their jobs and power.

No more, no less.

Go for it Donnie, fire Mueller :getin:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Republicans will be forced to do something about Trump once his cloud of poo poo starts impeding their evil plans.

If the Trump Hearings means they can't choke poor and minority people by shoving lignite down their gullet while cutting food stamps to pay for it, that will finally be unacceptable.

Yeah but I don't think anything stops their plans short of Democrats taking at least one house of congress and I think they are banking on their base being devoted enough that they will vote for their own deaths.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, but he wasn't appointed by Congress. If Trump wants to exercise dictatorial control over the DoJ, the odds are that Congress won't check him.

One of the biggest problems with our checks and balances is that it requires people to have a sense of shame and the same shits that right now are allowing Trump to go almost but not quite dictator will be freaking out when a Democrat sneezes during a memorial day speech.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

derra posted:

Wait so if globe going up stairs is north?

I ... what?? What is this?

I feel like it must be a parody.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

my bony fealty posted:

That's great. So what does firing Meuller get?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

And I'm sure if Mueller was fired another special council would be appointed, without a guarantee that they would be as competent, trustworthy, etc. There's a risk it would derail the investigation, which isn't worth the tiny chance that it would motivate Republicans in congress to do anything.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Give how leaky Donnie's "own people" and the current WH staff is, why the gently caress don't these paid audience members come out and say "yeah, Donnie's people offered stuff to suck his dick."

Like IIRC, the after the Escalator reveal, some poor theater actors came out and said "Yeah we got a call to do a minor thing for Donnie. LOL no way he'll win, amirite."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to see what Coulter is gonna tweet over the next 4 years with all of Trump's broken promises and the crises he'll trigger. I'm sure his non-delusional loyalists will be off the bandwagon soon enough, and then we will really see how far his approval rating will tank.

• Locked thread