Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's weird, because a ton of the imagery of chivalry and medieval fantasy we have is directly derived from France and its traditions and legends, but most portrayals of such settings give things a decidedly british tinge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It's weird, because a ton of the imagery of chivalry and medieval fantasy we have is directly derived from France and its traditions and legends, but most portrayals of such settings give things a decidedly british tinge.

It's 90% the fault of Le Morte D'Arthur

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can I get back to Novigrad from Skellige whenever I want?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

basically, once you wrap up a little bit of intro quest to skellige

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also you're "refunded" the 1000 oren fee for taking the boat to Skellige immediately after landing.

There's no reason to not try out Skellige if you feel Novigrad is starting to drag a bit. They're very different tone-wise.

Did you finish up Velen / Bloody Baron?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Samuringa posted:

So I guess I'm the only one who didn't enjoy Skellige? I don't like swimming or climbing mountains.

I think it looks good and the quests are interesting, but that's true for all locations in W3. By the point I got to Skellige I was so tired of repetitive points of interest with vendor trash that I ignored like 80% of the question marks though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Also you're "refunded" the 1000 oren fee for taking the boat to Skellige immediately after landing.

There's no reason to not try out Skellige if you feel Novigrad is starting to drag a bit. They're very different tone-wise.

Did you finish up Velen / Bloody Baron?

Oh yeah definitely. The only thing I didn't do was Find Whoreson or whatever that Dandy quest was, I just needed a change of scenery and you guys got me wondering about Skellige. Also yes I laughed really hard when I found my refund. I wonder how many people miss that.

So the Smuggler's caches are useless? Because everything I found on the beach and with the monster nest was pretty awesome

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh yeah definitely. The only thing I didn't do was Find Whoreson or whatever that Dandy quest was, I just needed a change of scenery and you guys got me wondering about Skellige. Also yes I laughed really hard when I found my refund. I wonder how many people miss that.

So the Smuggler's caches are useless? Because everything I found on the beach and with the monster nest was pretty awesome

if you haven't been using the witcher sets of equipment, smuggler's caches are going to be a good source of weapons and armor upgrades. if you have been using the witcher sets, you can upgrade the sets into even better versions of themselves as you level up, so they'll always be useful regardless of random loot, rendering smuggler's caches basically just vendor trash that you can turn some profit on.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Smuggler's caches don't even have a little note or small story attached to them, they're just loot. You can do them if you need some cash but they're not really an enjoyable use of your time.

I think the thread consensus is to check out the ?s on land (including small islands) but skip the ?s in the water since those are just smuggler's caches.

What'd you think of the botchling and Crones :v:

e: oh also, you can buy maps from merchants in Skellige that will unlock fast travel to towns on the other islands, you don't need to sail between them to get access

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say having not entered blood and wine proper and the money making schemes that entails, skellige smugglers caches funded me maxing out the runewright.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Smuggler's caches don't even have a little note or small story attached to them, they're just loot. You can do them if you need some cash but they're not really an enjoyable use of your time.

I think the thread consensus is to check out the ?s on land (including small islands) but skip the ?s in the water since those are just smuggler's caches.

What'd you think of the botchling and Crones :v:

e: oh also, you can buy maps from merchants in Skellige that will unlock fast travel to towns on the other islands, you don't need to sail between them to get access

The crones were the worst game of gently caress. Marry. Kill. Ever. The botchling had my ears pinned back the whole time because of how goddamn weird it was.

Fyke Isle was my favorite part because an unseasonably cold storm blew in and it started raining when I was playing it at midnight. It was creepy as all hell in that context.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

Only time I've bothered with the crossbow is when my mind was blown finding out you can use it underwater.

I hope that's monster-only, otherwise aren't you constantly overloaded with Rusty Novigrad Sword and Small Blackjack?

It picks up bandit gear too, BUT, I'm also using the 9000 weight limit mod. I can't remember if there's a setting for the autoloot mod to ignore cheap, heavy gear...I think there is?

So yeah fair point, if they make that a base feature of the next game, they'll have to do something about that rusty sword situation.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Honestly, despite it being among the most beautiful countryside in all the world, not a lot of games that I can think of are set in, like, southern France. Touissant feels very fresh in terms of settings in any sort of RPG.

AC2 took you to Tuscany, which is probably the closest thing visually I can think of.

It is kind of funny that it's The Witcher of all games which takes you to a colorful paradise setting, considering that storywise the theme of the game is generally "everything is poo poo, you're going to die in the mud, and nobody's going to care"

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 16, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Fyke Isle was my favorite part because an unseasonably cold storm blew in and it started raining when I was playing it at midnight. It was creepy as all hell in that context.

Did you free the ghost? That's one quest players often mess up their first time.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Did you free the ghost? That's one quest players often mess up their first time.

No because of the inconsistent story! Also because she sounded like Kaylie Hooper from 30 rock and I assumed she was duplicitous. Seriously.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No because of the inconsistent story! Also because she sounded like Kaylie Hooper from 30 rock and I assumed she was duplicitous. Seriously.

Yeah good catch, she's a pesta, a plague wraith and if you let her go she wipes out a few villages. I wasn't paying very close attention and messed that up first time around.

unrelated but the wake and feast as you start Skellige had one of my favorite Geralt quips:

(to Yen) You smell wonderful.
Geralt, we're at a funeral.
You smell wonderful at this funeral.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 16, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah good catch, she's a pesta, a plague wraith and if you let her go she wipes out a few villages. I wasn't paying very close attention and messed that up first time around.

With me, I'd actually seen somebody play that quest, which was one of the sequences that made me interested in trying the game myself. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized that the player I'd watched had triggered a secret event flag, and in my "oh I've seen this" haste, I ended up walking right into the trap, not even realizing that it was possible to make a poor choice.

It was a great introduction to the consequences that W3 presents to you. Of course, I loaded an earlier save and did it right.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The witcher 3 is basically about a career rear end in a top hat monster killer nearing retirement, clearing out everywhere except Medieval England of good loot for the next chosen one because he really only cares about 2 people and needs to do a job for their sakes, dumping it off into a war economy to be smelted into infantry weapons, to rebuild a vineyard really far away from the really serious dangers and intrigues and weird cults and all the dangerous destiny poo poo.

that's why when skyrim destiny girl arrives in skellige there's just all the tactically unsound boob armor and broken ceremonial swords laying around

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I don't trust wraiths. I got hosed up by Contract and Story wraiths until I figured them out.

Oh god I laughed out loud when I heard that, it's something my girlfriend would see and instantly get mad because it's a thing I would do.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 16, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

unrelated but the wake and feast as you start Skellige had one of my favorite Geralt quips:

(to Yen) You smell wonderful.
Geralt, we're at a funeral.
You smell wonderful at this funeral.

Double post

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

holy moly imrelith's first two health bars are a slog until i figured out to chug a chort decoction. made only worse because it was the 3rd health bar where i kept dropping dead until i figured out his pattern. yeesh.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

holy moly imrelith's first two health bars are a slog until i figured out to chug a chort decoction. made only worse because it was the 3rd health bar where i kept dropping dead until i figured out his pattern. yeesh.

the payoff at the end of that fight is great though

the ol' crispy helmet

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of missed Skellige chat but it's basically just Ireland, and I am very okay with that.

The issue with the Smuggler's Caches is that both sailing, swimming, and monsters that engage with Geralt using height (be it by flying or swimming) are sort of the :shrug: version of combat mechanics, so doing it for a long time gets irritating. Like, functionally, there's not that much difference between walking forever to get to a bandit camp and kill them all for leveled loot, but there's something about hearing the ol' siren screams, pulling out that weapon you never bother to level, killing the damned screamers, and searching three barrels that feels boring.

Although, if I'm being honest, I'm ecstatic that they just did the barrels, for the most part, because any time I had to find a loving box under the water, usually inside some sunken ship, I spent like 10 minutes chugging Killer Whale and trying to teach Geralt to swim without crashing into a boat ceiling so that I could actually use Witcher senses to find the drat yellow highlighting. First person games are the only ones that are ever going to get close to doing swimming right.

Either way, you can obviously just ignore the smuggler's caches if you aren't a completionist, so I really have my own OCD to blame more than CDPR.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of missed Skellige chat but it's basically just Ireland, and I am very okay with that.

The issue with the Smuggler's Caches is that both sailing, swimming, and monsters that engage with Geralt using height (be it by flying or swimming) are sort of the :shrug: version of combat mechanics, so doing it for a long time gets irritating. Like, functionally, there's not that much difference between walking forever to get to a bandit camp and kill them all for leveled loot, but there's something about hearing the ol' siren screams, pulling out that weapon you never bother to level, killing the damned screamers, and searching three barrels that feels boring.

Although, if I'm being honest, I'm ecstatic that they just did the barrels, for the most part, because any time I had to find a loving box under the water, usually inside some sunken ship, I spent like 10 minutes chugging Killer Whale and trying to teach Geralt to swim without crashing into a boat ceiling so that I could actually use Witcher senses to find the drat yellow highlighting. First person games are the only ones that are ever going to get close to doing swimming right.

Either way, you can obviously just ignore the smuggler's caches if you aren't a completionist, so I really have my own OCD to blame more than CDPR.

There's a lot of nice touches to this game. The levelled loot is nice, and also the diagrams and recipes being part of an (I think) non-repeating drop pool. I haven't even been thorough and I'm finishing off superior potions and bombs at level 17.

Also, if you drop a flying enemy into the water with a crossbow shot they will ragdoll and 'die' although they will keep screeching at you angrily. It's pretty funny.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GrossMurpel posted:

Haha, ever using rolls, good one.
Also, I specifically said "in the same amount of time". I am aware that pressing a button is not a huge task, but with your logic, you could argue that I should be using the crossbow in battle all the time.

Using Northern Wind actually results in things dying faster because you can knock them down and one hit kill them while they're down.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
The worst thing about the smuggler caches is if you're a loving masochist like me and decided to do them all is that the sirens can occasionally snag on the submerged chests and send them flying miles off into the open sea never to be found again, meaning the question mark will remain forever unfinished and giving me the fury.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just to be sure (i checked the internet but most of the answers are vague and inconsistent), the grand sum total of sending keira metz, letho, et al. was their cameos during the battle of kaer morhen, right? technically i found keira metz afterwards chilling outside the fortress but she was bugged out and playing dialogue as if she were in velen, and was clearly in an area i wasn't supposed to be because i had to die parkouring past a locked door from fall damage multiple times to get back out of it

Shannow posted:

The worst thing about the smuggler caches is if you're a loving masochist like me and decided to do them all is that the sirens can occasionally snag on the submerged chests and send them flying miles off into the open sea never to be found again, meaning the question mark will remain forever unfinished and giving me the fury.

no, the worst thing is when the siren corpses snag on your loving boat and instantly sink the stupid thing while you're 80 miles from any shore so you have to swim for 15 minutes to get anywhere, or reload an old save

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spoilers for the battle at Khaer Moran: Lambert dies if Keira isn't there to save him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what a prick

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

not bad

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Turning off POIs on my NG+ run has been the best thing ever.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 16, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Lurdiak posted:

Spoilers for the battle at Khaer Moran: Lambert dies if Keira isn't there to save him.

You can still save Lambert without Keira as long as you intervene quickly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Compulsively quicksaving every few seconds is the best. I played probably 3 hours of Witcher 1 and already have 82 saves :toot:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

GrossMurpel posted:

Compulsively quicksaving every few seconds is the best. I played probably 3 hours of Witcher 1 and already have 82 saves :toot:

I quicksave all the drat time, but that was primarily due a habit of the game crashing until I realized it was my GPU overclocks that was the cause

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The blacksmith at Kaer Trolde has no option to speak with him.

I went to Novigrad and came back and this is still happening, do any other vendors do this?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I went to Novigrad and came back and this is still happening, do any other vendors do this?

Meditate for an hour. Happens to the smith in Blackbough, too.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's a time of day thing, vendors are only at their shops during business hours. The KT blacksmith is a lazy piece of poo poo and isn't working half the time during the day. Meditate until it's 10am and try again, meditate for an hour or two, check again.

A lot of vendors will take lunch breaks and stuff so they're only available 9-12 and 1-4 or something

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

It's a time of day thing, vendors are only at their shops during business hours. The KT blacksmith is a lazy piece of poo poo and isn't working half the time during the day. Meditate until it's 10am and try again, meditate for an hour or two, check again.

A lot of vendors will take lunch breaks and stuff so they're only available 9-12 and 1-4 or something

It's not always a time of day thing. There's a glitch with Blacksmiths, sometimes, and the KT blacksmith in particular. Sometimes meditating works, sometimes fast traveling works, and, failing that, save, quit, reload the game, and they should be selling again (that the latter works is how I know it isn't a schedule thing).

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Meditating for an hour fixed it, Thanks guys.

Griffin Enhanced and Feline armor are such side grades. It was a pain in the rear end to get and build both sets, too. Cat Armor does cut down on the dad bod look though...

Also, found a relic sword thats better than Griffin or Cat. Pretty amusing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How's swallow vs white raffard's decoction? I have that perk that ups your toxicity so I can start chugging potions with impunity in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well swallow has the obvious downside that it slowly fills up your health (and that the regeneration is interrupted if you get hit) but it creates far less toxicity. Basically White Raffard's is for when you need serious healing right now, and in less severe cases stick to Swallow and food.