Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think Boon is being sarcastic.

He just gave you poo poo for sounding "nothing mattersy" but he's sounding suspiciously like he believes nothing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Glumslinger posted:

I hadn't considered this aspect, but yeah, we would be getting news pushes each time someone was fired. That would be hilarious. I'm sure we would have a betting pool on how many he would to fire before he found someone who would comply

What has the potential to be really funny is the fact that people next in line would see their turn coming.

All that stress might cause sudden injuries and illnesses to spring up. Can't expect someone to fire Mueller if they are at home on sick leave due to horrible debilitating food poisoning.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Other reminders:

McCain is a little bitch for getting captured, I don't like little bitches.
Khan Family tiff.
Saying how he always wanted a Purple Heart as he gave a Purple Heart and said "congrats."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Another 9/11, rally around the flag situation was kind of the worst nightmare a couple months ago. At this point, though, it's becoming clear how much the Trump administration would gently caress up their emergency response. I suspect it may well hurt his numbers even more.

They haven't even nominated anyone for head of FEMA and we are just entering hurricane season.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

He just gave you poo poo for sounding "nothing mattersy" but he's sounding suspiciously like he believes nothing matters.

Do you think the House filing impeachment is the last stop? You get the Senate has to convict right? That the Dems literally cannot, even with a 100% sweep in 2018, win enough seats to have enough votes to convict without at least double-digit GOP defections?

Like what could possibly be the scenario you are envisioning where Meuller being fired is good?

If you think my argument sounds like 'Nothing matters' then you are either not reading my posts, illiterate, or not comprehending. I'm arguing that firing Meullerr is not good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boon posted:

Wonderful! Now if only we can get someone to make the obstruc... oh he's fired.

Looks like we'll need the GOP to get on boar... oh they allowed it.
With the historic levels of disapproval, and it being right in the spotlight right now, if he pulls that poo poo and the Republicans let him get away with it then American democracy itself will be in jeopardy, and I think the intelligence agencies may take it upon themselves to stop it if they've got dirt proving direct collusion between republicans/trump and russia. At the very least, it would result in far more assassination attempts, for sure.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Do you think the House filing impeachment is the last stop? You get the Senate has to convict right? That the Dems literally cannot, even with a 100% sweep in 2018, win enough seats to have enough votes to convict without at least double-digit GOP defections?

The GOP Senate seeing a massive wave in 2018 and realizing it will still be coming for them in 2020 if they don't mollify the public could very likely spur them to convict.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The GOP Senate seeing a massive wave in 2018 and realizing it will still be coming for them in 2020 if they don't mollify the public could very likely spur them to convict.

Yes it could. It also might not. Who the hell even knows and the D's sure as poo poo aren't getting a 100% sweep.

Meuller is our best bet, and some people are openly cheering his firing so they can get their adrenaline rush.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

PhazonLink posted:

Saying how he always wanted a Purple Heart as he gave a Purple Heart and said "congrats."

Two different events, actually. One guy showed/gave him a Purple Heart and he talked about how his draft-dodging rear end always wanted one, and he congratulated a different guy as he presented him with one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

With the historic levels of disapproval, and it being right in the spotlight right now, if he pulls that poo poo and the Republicans let him get away with it then American democracy itself will be in jeopardy, and I think the intelligence agencies may take it upon themselves to stop it if they've got dirt proving direct collusion between republicans/trump and russia. At the very least, it would result in far more assassination attempts, for sure.

CIA does not have a great track record with successful assassinations of populist heads of state in the Americas. Unless they're going to pay the contras or Noriega to do it for them or something, past precedent suggests they'd have to try at least 31 times.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Invictus posted:

We already had one dude try and take them out. I think them doing that would make even more people do it, I personally believe the only thing holding a good number of people back is the investigation going along as the normal process of things, and anyone found guilty by it will be held accountable by the law. But so flagrantly ending the investigation with zero repercussions would likely take the bucket of crazies that's got a small leak in it, and just upend the loving thing, especially with multiple notable republicans on record telling him not to fire mueller.

It sure would be Interesting, though. If nothing else, these last few months have been Interesting.

dog

Omfg Tervurens :3:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Flip Yr Wig posted:

There are only eight Republican senators up for re-election in 2018 and 23 Democrats. There is a significant chance that the Dems lose seats in the Senate based purely on that fact. Picking up seats is even less likely. The Senate will never be able to convict impeachment proceedings, even if the Dems controlled it you'd be trying to get 15 or 16 Republicans to vote to convict their own president.

Correction: 25 Dems, counting the two independents that caucus with them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So I just saw an argument that Kasowitz told WH staff not to seek their own outside defense because their lawyers would probably just tell them to squeal to save themselves. Is there much substance to that?

By hiring his own defense lawyer, is Pence potentially distancing himself?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Can't wait for them to recycle those purple band-aids they wore for Kerry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Another 9/11, rally around the flag situation was kind of the worst nightmare a couple months ago. At this point, though, it's becoming clear how much the Trump administration would gently caress up their emergency response. I suspect it may well hurt his numbers even more.

this. my friend keeps talking about the whole 9/11 and or Reichstag's fire scenario. but i don't see it happening. trump is way too incompetent to pull it off. trump doesnt have any friends or "friends" in congress or his cabinet. its all lickspittles or wormtougns or wannabe littlefingers. i do think the GOP will keep this going as long as possible but i think they will turn on him when poo poo gets to dier.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Like what could possibly be the scenario you are envisioning where Meuller being fired is good?

If you think my argument sounds like 'Nothing matters' then you are either not reading my posts, illiterate, or not comprehending. I'm arguing that firing Meullerr is not good.

I'm able to read your posts, therefore I'm not illiterate, and idk about comprehension, but to me you seem to be suggesting that firing Mueller wouldn't matter.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Nah this won't happen because we'd get President Pelosi if the democrats win the house in 2018. I'm assuming the Pence is going to be implicated as well and she'd be next in line for the job.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Invictus posted:

this. if he does that and ryan and turtle and friends look away and it becomes insanely obvious that he is a traitor. he is dead man.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Boon posted:

Yes it could. It also might not. Who the hell even knows and the D's sure as poo poo aren't getting a 100% sweep.

Meuller is our best bet, and some people are openly cheering his firing so they can get their adrenaline rush.

If they do conclude that they need to get rid of Trump after 2018, I imagine they will vote strategically with senators up in 2020 allowed to vote in whatever way they think they need to survive the wave. (either support Trump or anger the base, neither option is great, but we'll let you pick), The necessary votes would have to come from 2022 and 2024 Senators who presumably have enough time to cool off the MAGA morons, and/or guys who were planning to retire soon anyway.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So I just saw an argument that Kasowitz told WH staff not to seek their own outside defense because their lawyers would probably just tell them to squeal to save themselves. Is there much substance to that?

By hiring his own defense lawyer, is Pence potentially distancing himself?

It's a dumb move because there's not really a position where not having a lawyer will help. The lawyer would advise them on what they can and can't say and what would incriminate them and / or Trump in an investigation. It's a really nonsensical move by Kasowitz. Probably just to improve optics.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/NickRiccardi/status/875802899468525568

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

gently caress off, Greg.

You made your own name a loving verb for assaulting the press.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

I'm able to read your posts, therefore I'm not illiterate, and idk about comprehension, but to me you seem to be suggesting that firing Mueller wouldn't matter.

Hopeless negativism without saying "nothing matters" is the new in thing for the whiner crowd.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The hopeful side of me wants to believe that Gianforte learned his lesson and is trying to be a better person.

The dominant cynical side, which has been watching the GOP since just after 9/11, is more convinced that he's trying to "position" himself to look like he's "rising above it all".

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Rigel posted:

Well, if they impeach and the Senate fails to remove him, then whoever is up in 2020 in states that aren't dark red will have to explain their support for Trump. The Clinton impeachment backfired on the GOP because the voters were solidly behind the president, but they won't be in this case. Its not much, but thats got to cost them some votes in 2020.
I realize it's massively too early to predict anything about 2020, especially with the speed the news goes this day, but the Senate map is very, very red. 22 Republicans vs 11 Democrats up for re-election. Obviously nobody's said anything about their intentions yet, but I'd expect a few to retire (Inhofe, Roberts). How many of those seats can actually be considered realistic pickups....eh, who knows at this point.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

Hopeless negativism without saying "nothing matters" is the new in thing for the whiner crowd.

He's James Risching us right now. 'Did I ever actually say the words, "nothing matters"?'

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Stuff matters it just doesn't matter fast enough. 8% drop in strong approve to moderate approve is a thing that matters. But like, we want the man gone.

I'm in agreement that firing Mueller would be overall bad. Mueller can't directly take out the President but he can take out a whole bunch of his inner circle and provide proof of presidential crimes. At that point, the repubicans either convict and he's gone, or let him live and suffer destruction in 2020.

I expect a slow burn mattering.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The hopeful side of me wants to believe that Gianforte learned his lesson and is trying to be a better person.

The dominant cynical side, which has been watching the GOP since just after 9/11, is more convinced that he's trying to "position" himself to look like he's "rising above it all".

Violence is acceptable and rewarded when committed by the Right. What Gianforte means is "the left needs to submit."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rigel posted:

If they do conclude that they need to get rid of Trump after 2018, I imagine they will vote strategically with senators up in 2020 allowed to vote in whatever way they think they need to survive the wave. (either support Trump or anger the base, neither option is great, but we'll let you pick), The necessary votes would have to come from 2022 and 2024 Senators who presumably have enough time to cool off the MAGA morons, and/or guys who were planning to retire soon anyway.

How many MAGA CHUDs will be dead by 2020? All the interviews featuring die-hard Trump fans never mention anyone younger than 60, if not 70.

Trump's real "base" is racist suburban dads who will vote for any republican, no matter who.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He apologized to the reporter he assaulted and donated some money to a pro-journalism thing which doesn't mean anything but it was at least nice to see that he didn't go full "gently caress you let's assault more reporters" mode, because that's what the GOP base wants

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, could there be a more poignant chiron?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress off, Greg.

You made your own name a loving verb for assaulting the press.

I'd buy it if he was also resigning and dedicating his money to bringing people together in some way.

But that's not what he's doing. gently caress off greg.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I have a question that I haven't seen anyone directly address. We've all been saying that Trump can't fire Mueller and that Rosenstein would have to do it. Is this an actual law written on paper somewhere? And if it is, does that really matter? Can't the head of the executive branch fire whoever the gently caress he wants out of the executive branch?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

nachos posted:

Nah this won't happen because we'd get President Pelosi if the democrats win the house in 2018. I'm assuming the Pence is going to be implicated as well and she'd be next in line for the job.

President Pelosi would be their best shot at gains in 2020

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol the cop who shot Philando Castile aquitted of all charges. good god. this country is so broken.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

President Pelosi would be their best shot at gains in 2020

Gains for who?

Because she's been a target of right wing slander for as long as Hillary for the crime of being competent, long-standing, female, and a democrat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zero_Grade posted:

I realize it's massively too early to predict anything about 2020, especially with the speed the news goes this day, but the Senate map is very, very red. 22 Republicans vs 11 Democrats up for re-election. Obviously nobody's said anything about their intentions yet, but I'd expect a few to retire (Inhofe, Roberts). How many of those seats can actually be considered realistic pickups....eh, who knows at this point.

Cruz loses to Beto O'Rourke in 2018, Cornyn loses to Sylvester Turner in 2020, Texas ushers in a thousand years of liberal darkness. :911:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

fishing with the fam posted:

I highly doubt this scenario ever comes about. If anything, I don't doubt many Rs in Congress think alienating Trump's base would harm their re-election bids more than staying the current course.

The Republican party is divided, as we well know. Look at the GA-6 race as a prime example. It's as much a referrendum in Trump as anything. Granted there are the die hards who will never ever turn on Trump even if he shot their mothers in the face, but that's not the entire party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

Chilichimp posted:

He's James Risching us right now. 'Did I ever actually say the words, "nothing matters"?'

What the hell? You cannot lay out a plausible path to flipping 20+ GOP Senators, which is the entire point, but then construing that as me arguing nothing matters. gently caress off, idiot.

Im arguing that Meuller is the only way it matters, it's the only way you could plausibly flip 20+ senators. And that is only if he lays out an airtight case. Anything short and it'll be a D House, Senate, and president in 2020 which is fine but isn't a repudiation.

• Locked thread