Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

It's.. it's not Hagar the Horrible, is it? That had a big sword health meter in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Help please! Old 3D game for the PC (DOS I guess?). Like, really old.

WHAT I REMEMBER:
- Models are made up of solid colours that are in various ball shapes, some more ovally than others. Don't think there was any textures or the like.
- Pretty sure it starts with E. I keep thinking Eschalon but that's an old-school RPG made quite a fair bit more recently.
- I think it had monsters and demons and stuff?
- Pretty sure it got a sequel.
- Maybe you could choose male/female character to begin the game?
- Fixed camera iirc, Resident Evil style, but I believe not pre-rendered.

Every year or so I'll think of this game, and then I'll blank on the name, and it drives me nuts. Possibly the first game I played on computer, or at least the one that made the biggest impression, even though I know for sure I never owned it, hah.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's Ecstatica and I bet without looking that it's in the op!

Ok there is no op, i guess that's in the other thread. Anyway it comes up a lot!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"Hello, this is IT. Have you tried Ecstatica, Castle of the Winds, or Return Fire?"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Two Owls posted:

Rastan, Rastan Saga, or Cadash? Myth: History in the Making? Deathbringer? Hagar the Horrible?

All negative, but thanks for the suggestions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Unless you saw Maldita Castilla and your brain made something up idk.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hannibal Rex posted:

I dredged this up from the back of my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvfJV9Ta6zo

Megadrive not Amiga though :/

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Xargon? :black101:

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
This one might be kind of obscure, but around 2005/2006, I was pretty broke, and was dabbling with a lot of freeware games that were coming out at the time. There was one game in particular by a developer whose name I can't remember, but it was a sort of exploration platformer, and the guy you played as was a little white man, and the soundtrack was very chill. I was looking for it today, and thought it had been made by Nifflas, the creator of Within a Deep Forest and the Knytt series, but it doesn't show up on his website. It definitely has the same chill vibe about it though, and would love to revisit it.

I can think of one or two games that I think are made by the same developer, but I can't remember the titles of them either. One was a top down shmup with RPG elements, and the other was sort of an action rpg where you played a mage that flew around. I'm pretty sure the art styles of both games were similar to Out of This World, in that the sprites were made of 3 or 4 colors with no outlines that were composed of sort of irregular shapes. I think the mage one might have been unfinished. Anyways, if any of those games ring a bell for anyone, I'd love to know what the titles were. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I just found it after modifying my search terms a little bit. It was called Seiklus, and it came out in 2003. The other two games I mentioned were by a developer called darthlupi. I was a big fan of all of these games, and I'm glad to have found them again.

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 23, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks baka kaba! Ecstatica is exactly what I was thinking of.

Here's something I think possibly a bit harder. It's a (freeware?) puzzle game for PC that's math based. I got this on the old family comp when it first came out, maybe around 2003-2006, but that's dead now so I can't check it myself.

What I remember
- Tetris Attack-like screen, with numbers in the blocks instead
- You have a "linking" button that chains numbers together where you select one number, hold down the button then tap the direction of the next button you link.
- When you link numbers together, they're added. So if you select a 1 block and then move to a 2 block, it creates a 3 block.
- The number in the blocks represent the minimum number of blocks needed to make this chain count. So if it's 2, you need another 2 block next to it to make it count. If it's a 7, you need to make six other 7 blocks adjacent to each other.
- To combo, chain many number combinations together; they'll all be removed at the same time once a hidden timer runs out.
- The main background is mostly black and blue I think? Like outer space kind of blue.

I keep thinking Blokus but that's a boardgame...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hannibal Rex posted:

watch it be fuckin wizards & warriors 2: ironsword, which featured fabio as a bare-chested barbarian on the cover, but in the game itself you played as a platemail knight. your sword sucked but you could get magic and throw poo poo

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Help us remember the name of a game!!!! Spoiler: it's Ecstatica

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SoR Blaze posted:

This one might be kind of obscure, but around 2005/2006, I was pretty broke, and was dabbling with a lot of freeware games that were coming out at the time. There was one game in particular by a developer whose name I can't remember, but it was a sort of exploration platformer, and the guy you played as was a little white man, and the soundtrack was very chill. I was looking for it today, and thought it had been made by Nifflas, the creator of Within a Deep Forest and the Knytt series, but it doesn't show up on his website. It definitely has the same chill vibe about it though, and would love to revisit it.

I can think of one or two games that I think are made by the same developer, but I can't remember the titles of them either. One was a top down shmup with RPG elements, and the other was sort of an action rpg where you played a mage that flew around. I'm pretty sure the art styles of both games were similar to Out of This World, in that the sprites were made of 3 or 4 colors with no outlines that were composed of sort of irregular shapes. I think the mage one might have been unfinished. Anyways, if any of those games ring a bell for anyone, I'd love to know what the titles were. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I just found it after modifying my search terms a little bit. It was called Seiklus, and it came out in 2003. The other two games I mentioned were by a developer called darthlupi. I was a big fan of all of these games, and I'm glad to have found them again.

seiklus is real loving good

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Old PC rpg I used to have on CD Rom but no longer can find it.

Looked like diablo as it top down and was turn based if I am remembering correctly. I remember that you chose a "elemental", the selections were elemental like Fire, Grass, water, dark, light etc.

Whoever ypu chose gave you specific elemental spells

I remember the elemental selection screen had each being standing in a circle formation.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 29, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Artelier posted:

Thanks baka kaba! Ecstatica is exactly what I was thinking of.

Here's something I think possibly a bit harder. It's a (freeware?) puzzle game for PC that's math based. I got this on the old family comp when it first came out, maybe around 2003-2006, but that's dead now so I can't check it myself.

What I remember
- Tetris Attack-like screen, with numbers in the blocks instead
- You have a "linking" button that chains numbers together where you select one number, hold down the button then tap the direction of the next button you link.
- When you link numbers together, they're added. So if you select a 1 block and then move to a 2 block, it creates a 3 block.
- The number in the blocks represent the minimum number of blocks needed to make this chain count. So if it's 2, you need another 2 block next to it to make it count. If it's a 7, you need to make six other 7 blocks adjacent to each other.
- To combo, chain many number combinations together; they'll all be removed at the same time once a hidden timer runs out.
- The main background is mostly black and blue I think? Like outer space kind of blue.

I keep thinking Blokus but that's a boardgame...

I figured out my own game! It is the definitely free BLOCKSUM! Time to get wrecked by numbers again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Looked like diablo as it top down and was turn based if I am remembering correctly. I remember that you chose a "elemental", the selections were elemental like Fire, Grass, water, dark, light etc.

I remember the elemental selection screen had each being standing in a circle formation.

Best guess: Revenant

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The elementals in a circle sounds very familiar to me but it was a strategy game, not a diablo like. But it was isometric so similar graphics.

Probably it. uhhhhhh not master of magic... poo poo what was the name. It was kinda like Heroes of might and magic, uhhh

Lords of Magic has diablo-like graphics and a ring of people each standing in a circle representing their elements. But I think there was another game that did that too I'm trying to remember...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The elementals in a circle sounds very familiar to me but it was a strategy game, not a diablo like. But it was isometric so similar graphics.

Probably it. uhhhhhh not master of magic... poo poo what was the name. It was kinda like Heroes of might and magic, uhhh

Lords of Magic has diablo-like graphics and a ring of people each standing in a circle representing their elements. But I think there was another game that did that too I'm trying to remember...

Lords of Magic!

Thanks!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Lords of Magic!

Thanks!

I remember how overpowered the sling wielding fairy was if you didn't use auto combat because you could go off of walkable segments and murder everything.

I was so stoked when I finally got to play as bat boss of the dark side, but boy was he garbage when he wasn't the :airquote: boss enemy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

You're probably thinking of Magic & Mayhem which is Diablo-like but you're a wizard with fireballs and poo poo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm trying to remember a short free game (possibly a source mod) that's from the last decade. It's an fps, except no weapons. You're in an egyptian tomb. There is a button. Push it and a song starts playing. Waterfalls of badly animated snakes pour out of the walls. Eventually you die.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm trying to remember a short free game (possibly a source mod) that's from the last decade. It's an fps, except no weapons. You're in an egyptian tomb. There is a button. Push it and a song starts playing. Waterfalls of badly animated snakes pour out of the walls. Eventually you die.

Room of 1000 Snakes

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Artelier posted:

I figured out my own game! It is the definitely free BLOCKSUM! Time to get wrecked by numbers again.

Thank you!!!!!!!!! I asked about this game a few years ago in a similar thread, no one figured it out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yesss, thank you.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
There's this one game I freaking loved when I was about 11 or so, like it was one of my favorite games of all time. My dad bought it for me from some second-hand shop.

It was space invaders for the playstation, but it was upgraded, had cool graphics. In the beginning cutscene there was a bunch of tanks on earth that get attacked by aliens.

During the actual gameplay it's basically space invaders + shoot em up kind of deal. You fight aliens on each of the planets in the solar system. They each have different colors and attack formations based on geometry. As you win levels you get further out into the solar system.

I've tried to look this up on wikipedia and google but i've found nothing. I thought for sure it was a licensed space invaders game but it might not be.

edit: nevermind i found it it's called space invaders. thank you for your time

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 1, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you have a PS3/360, Space Invaders Infinity Gene is a really cool upgraded version too.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ok I have a game that I've been trying to figure out for ages.

It was ~1992. This was a PC game (or Mac? or something - but not a game console). I think the computers had marble madness, oregon trail, and this game. You were a wizard and I remember specifically you could cast magic missile. I think it was 2d (so a platformer?) and it had various stages with various difficulties. I think you could choose the stage beforehand too.

Any ideas?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lowness 72 posted:

Ok I have a game that I've been trying to figure out for ages.

It was ~1992. This was a PC game (or Mac? or something - but not a game console). I think the computers had marble madness, oregon trail, and this game. You were a wizard and I remember specifically you could cast magic missile. I think it was 2d (so a platformer?) and it had various stages with various difficulties. I think you could choose the stage beforehand too.

Any ideas?

Hocus Pocus?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Nah much smaller characters. You could also see the whole map.at once.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I remember playing this game in an arcade in Portugal in the mid-90s. It was a sidescrolling action game, player 1 was a black-haired guy in a red gi and the player 2 character was a blonde-haired guy in a blue gi.

It had a really Gigeresque level and enemy design, with the level I remember being this facility with monster monster bodies embedded in the walls, and the enemies I remember were women in techno-organic armour. The first boss was some kind of turtle-man in a multi-layered arena where you had to get to his front to deal damage.

I also remember there was a horizontal shmup-style level where you were flying through space Dragonball-style and blowing up monsters.

This has haunted me for about 20 years. :stare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zeerust posted:

I remember playing this game in an arcade in Portugal in the mid-90s. It was a sidescrolling action game, player 1 was a black-haired guy in a red gi and the player 2 character was a blonde-haired guy in a blue gi.

It had a really Gigeresque level and enemy design, with the level I remember being this facility with monster monster bodies embedded in the walls, and the enemies I remember were women in techno-organic armour. The first boss was some kind of turtle-man in a multi-layered arena where you had to get to his front to deal damage.

I also remember there was a horizontal shmup-style level where you were flying through space Dragonball-style and blowing up monsters.

Was it side-scrolling like a 2D platformer or like a Final Fight-type beat em up?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Zeerust posted:

Possibly Ninja Combat or Mutation Nation?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Artelier posted:

WHAT I REMEMBER:
- Models are made up of solid colours that are in various ball shapes, some more ovally than others. Don't think there was any textures or the like.
- Pretty sure it starts with E. I keep thinking Eschalon but that's an old-school RPG made quite a fair bit more recently.

Every year or so I'll think of this game, and then I'll blank on the name, and it drives me nuts. Possibly the first game I played on computer, or at least the one that made the biggest impression, even though I know for sure I never owned it, hah.

Alone in the Dark comes to mind, nothing had textures but the backgrounds, all models were largely flat, altho there was some mottled ones.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Zeerust posted:

There was a turtle-esque boss in Contra 3, that might be it?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Was it side-scrolling like a 2D platformer or like a Final Fight-type beat em up?

It was side-scrolling, like a 2D platformer..

Keru posted:

There was a turtle-esque boss in Contra 3, that might be it?

Nah, it was like a humanoid thing. It's definitely not anything like Contra, I remember the sprites being bigger and there's no guns or anything.

ponzicar posted:

Possibly Ninja Combat or Mutation Nation?

Doesn't look like either of these :(: I'm 90% sure there it wasn't a 2.5d brawler setup, it there was only a single plane.

the plot involves some kind of alien invasion, or at least an opening scene with a craft approaching Earth? I remember the attract trailer having this cutscene of the protagonist as a kid having beaten the player 2 character in a lab with some scientist booking it, then flashing forward to the present day.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Ok, long shot here, This was a game that I played on an old trs 80 videolex back around 1986, I think it was called egg head or egg something. It was one or two player at the same time. you jumped in huge floaty arcs and threw eggs at each other or enemies. each stage was static but it had girders for the floors kinda like donkey kong and ropes to climb. I miss it. oh, it was in color.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

There's this one old game on a shareware disk I had on an old Mac that broke down years ago. It was some kind of adventure game with almost wireframe graphics (minimalist) and...puzzles invloving number manipulation? The puzzles were basically the whole game. There were a bunch of different areas with different puzzle themes. I also remember an obnoxious "boing", like somebody just said the word. Actually, the sound effects were really low rent, just a guy making sounds. Anybody have any idea what it was?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Roluth posted:

There's this one old game on a shareware disk I had on an old Mac that broke down years ago. It was some kind of adventure game with almost wireframe graphics (minimalist) and...puzzles invloving number manipulation? The puzzles were basically the whole game. There were a bunch of different areas with different puzzle themes. I also remember an obnoxious "boing", like somebody just said the word. Actually, the sound effects were really low rent, just a guy making sounds. Anybody have any idea what it was?

Miiiight be System's Twilight.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Miiiight be System's Twilight.

Yeah, it is. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Artelier posted:

WHAT I REMEMBER:

al-azad posted:

"Hello, this is IT. Have you tried Ecstatica, Castle of the Winds, or Return Fire?"

baka kaba posted:

It's Ecstatica and I bet without looking that it's in the op!

Ok there is no op, i guess that's in the other thread. Anyway it comes up a lot!

Sloober posted:

Alone in the Dark comes to mind, nothing had textures but the backgrounds, all models were largely flat, altho there was some mottled ones.

It's almost certainly Ecstatica, but I did notice that everything he said other than "begins with E" applies equally to Alone in the Dark - PC/DOS, barely textured ballmonsters, surprise demons, got a sequel, male/female character selection, fixed cameras.

Although researching how both Ecstatica and AitD did their "backgrounds" it seems Ecstatica used, ehr, "sets" made of environmental objects also rendered in ellipsoids, as opposed to simply flat pre-rendered or drawn backgrounds.