Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dabir posted:

Wait, the vampires weren't just novel wankery? I saw then on the wiki and assumed they were awful poo poo written by an idiot.

They started in State of Decay, which is one of the best Fourth Doctor stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Handles was the longest serving companion in Doctor Who history. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would actually for real watch a full season of Doctor Who in which a sassy Dalek filled the K-9 role in terms of companions, and I don't even think it would be stooping low. The loving Daleks are still salt shakers with plungers on them and they're halfway to a comedy already, so just hire Nick Briggs to fill out the joke for awhile, try not to wear it too thin, and give it a funny name like Margaret or Theresa.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Photo that the BBC seem to have accidentally released early:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why are they wearing flesh colored gloves

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
those aren't gloves

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

cargohills posted:

I've also heard that Chris Chibnall isn't happy with how fan-centric the show has gotten so I'm not at all convinced that they'd bring back the villains from one story in 1980. I wouldn't mind one long story or more Time Lord characters, though.

I've love for the new doctor to catch up with jago and litefoot.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

those aren't gloves

they sure look a lot like gloves, unless the actors have hands with the texture of gloves

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They are gloves. Just weird flesh toned ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, look at the pointer finger of the actor's right (our left) hand; definitely gloves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think Doctor What was trying to make a cute joke about how that's really what their hands look like now (as in, in character in universe)

But unless they polish the effect up after the fact, which kind of defeats the purpose of these costumes, they just look like gloves. Really bad ones.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

I think Doctor What was trying to make a cute joke about how that's really what their hands look like now (as in, in character in universe)

But unless they polish the effect up after the fact, which kind of defeats the purpose of these costumes, they just look like gloves. Really bad ones.

I think it sort of helps the "cobbled together, piece by piece, with little thought as to aesthetic and entirely based on form" thing, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There does seem to be an in-story reason for the gloves. There's pics floating around of 'knot heads' who look like hospital patients before cyberisation.

EDIT: here we are: http://aminoapps.com/page/the-worlds-of-doctor-who/8838612/mondasian-cybermen-on-location-pictures

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 16, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I think it sort of helps the "cobbled together, piece by piece, with little thought as to aesthetic and entirely based on form" thing, though.

Oh no, I like exposed hands. That's why I asked why they were wearing gloves.

I think a good makeup effect on the hands would look stellar for creepy zombie cyborg people like these dudes, so seeing really cheap gloves like that being used instead made me sad.

If they're meant to be gloves in universe, that works well enough.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The knot heads are such a brilliant image of a Mondasian Cyberman in progress, its a shame the episodes themselves are probably going to be an overstuffed mess instead of being a focused story about them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I only saw a clip of The Tenth Planet recently and the original Cybermen were really cool. I love the way they talk, just opening their mouth as fully formed words come from somewhere in their body. Kind of like the monks from a few episodes ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know this isn't really a Big Finish thread, but given there's a multi-Master story coming up, though I'd post the link to the new audio BF announced. Derek Jacobi returning in the new "The War Master" audio. Which now makes me sad we'll never get Jacobi and Hurt joining up as the War Master/Doctor. The trailer clip also ends with Jacobi doing his best Ainley laugh.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-war-master-1681

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-20/first-look-at-john-simms-master-in-his-new-doctor-who-costume

About time we get back to a proper Master costume! :getin:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh, and the laser screwdriver is back somehow.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some bad news: they have shots as well of modern Cybermen as well as the Cybus ones, so between that, 2 Masters, and Blue Guys on a 400 Mile Long Ship Orbiting A Black Hole we can expect the Mondasian Cybermen to get short shrift. :(

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Astroman posted:

Some bad news: they have shots as well of modern Cybermen as well as the Cybus ones, so between that, 2 Masters, and Blue Guys on a 400 Mile Long Ship Orbiting A Black Hole we can expect the Mondasian Cybermen to get short shrift. :(

Hey there's always a long shot that the Mondasian's just loving house all the imitators.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Chairman Capone posted:

I know this isn't really a Big Finish thread, but given there's a multi-Master story coming up, though I'd post the link to the new audio BF announced. Derek Jacobi returning in the new "The War Master" audio. Which now makes me sad we'll never get Jacobi and Hurt joining up as the War Master/Doctor. The trailer clip also ends with Jacobi doing his best Ainley laugh.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-war-master-1681

Man I'm so excited for this. Until Michelle Gomez I thought we'd never see a Master of his quality again. But then it also renews my mourning for John Hurt; we'll never have the War mash-up that should have been :(

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liJN-iBSs3w

"we must evolve to survive" - maybe the jugheads won't be wasted this time after all

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Crusader posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liJN-iBSs3w

"we must evolve to survive" - maybe the jugheads won't be wasted this time after all

Punk muzzzzt zzzurviiiive.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

As soon as we saw modern Cybermen on the set reports I began to check my expectations in terms of the Mondasians getting a good, focused story. The fact that they're sharing a two parter with both other Cybermen and the whole Simm Master returning/multi-Master thing has me entirely resigned to just hoping it ends up an entertaining mess.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's really surprising to me that all the evidence points to Moffat trying to go out with an RTDish bang, it's really not his style. Of course, his final episode will be this Christmas, so I guess that'll be the real finale.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It's really surprising to me that all the evidence points to Moffat trying to go out with an RTDish bang, it's really not his style. Of course, his final episode will be this Christmas, so I guess that'll be the real finale.

That Christmas episode with Handles was pretty RTDish, if you mean what I think you mean.

It is weird, the preview for next episode makes it look like a mostly normal episode of Doctor Who that will probably conclude with a Mondasian Cyberman cum multi-Master cliffhanger. Gonna be one crammed final episode.

I'm most interested in what's going to happen to Bill, especially if the Christmas episode is more a retrospective. If she's not sticking around (and she probably isn't, I'd guess), her role in the Christmas special may be as a sort of Memory of Bill, so these may be her last two episodes. :(

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bicyclops posted:

Cyberman cum

:eyepop:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's not going to be the voice they give the Mondasian Cybermen right?

I want my off key sing song chip tunes voice god drat it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

[img Torchwood dot jpeg]

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

That's not going to be the voice they give the Mondasian Cybermen right?

I want my off key sing song chip tunes voice god drat it

I'm assuming it's a noncoverted human working with/for them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I think I said this earlier but yes, the Cybermen are very much sidelined in the story. Think about how they were mishandled in Death in Heaven and how big of a deal they made of the original Daleks coming back two years ago despite just being background props.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is even the point of bringing them in if you're not going to do anything with them

Just, loving Christ. Why is this twice now the Master hijacks the Cybermen for the finale?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

What is even the point of bringing them in if you're not going to do anything with them

Just, loving Christ. Why is this twice now the Master hijacks the Cybermen for the finale?

Well if you were wondering how Missy and the Cybermen came about...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really wasn't.

I was hoping we could ignore that ever happened.

For ever.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was wondering if this would be kind of an origin story for Missy. Post-End Of Time John Simm crosses paths with Missy and torpedoes her redemption, gets involved with the Cybermen in an adventure that will end with him regenerating into Missy, then she steals some cyber-tech and runs off into series 8. Don't know if it's a story that needs to be told, but if the Cybermen talk in their Tenth Planet voice it'll all be worth it

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I don't know whether to laugh or cry if the plot comes down to "Missy really was on the path to redemption, but Simm-Master shows up and screws it up"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It would absolutely be a Master-like thing to do to mess with the Master's redemption.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
All I want is, at some point, Missy to get fed up with and then shoot the Master so she can just deal with two of herself instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Simm-Master wrecking Missy's redemption and Missy responding by killing Simm-Master to regenerate into Missy would in fact be an amazing way to handle this story.

• Locked thread