Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh hey, cool. I didn't know there were going to be more Exit: The Game titles coming out, especially so soon. Apparently the first 3 are already available in Germany (or will be available there soon) and the rest are going to be released in Germany by the end of 2017 so hopefully they'll be released over here by then as well.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

gently caress you, its forever!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

What are exit games? So many seeming to exist when I've not heard of them seems unlikely more than anything else

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Mojo Jojo posted:

What are exit games? So many seeming to exist when I've not heard of them seems unlikely more than anything else

They're one-and-done games that try to simulate the experience of going to one of those Escape Rooms where you have to solve puzzles as a team.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don't let boardgaming thread elitism get you down, be your own man and play what you like!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Scyther posted:

They're one-and-done games

soooooo...after you play it once there's nothing new left?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

soooooo...after you play it once there's nothing new left?
See also: TIME Stories.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Or those Murder Mystery Dinners in a box that have been around forever. They are fun but you can only play them once.

For my 17th birthday I bought and hosted one of those and invited my friends. If you're unfamiliar with them, you all dress up & have roles to play and you walk around in character and slowly dole out a trickling of the truth based on cards you all have and keep secret.

At the end of the entire dinner, you are supposed to read a final statement, then everyone votes on who they think the killer was. One by one we all went around reading our last statement, until it got to my buddy, who read his final statement.

Then he throws down his card and goes "I was the killer by the way, I used the blah blah blah" and read the portion of the card that he wasn't supposed to read, but by god, he was going to barrel on!

At which point I asked "...so....does anyone want to guess who the killer was?"

Then we played NIGHTMARE: THE VIDEO BOARDGAME.

My tastes in boardgames have improved since I was 17 (except for NIghtmare, that poo poo is still great).

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
Let it be known that I love Wir sind das Volk!, it scratches that Twilight Struggle itch and THERE ARE NO DICE.

<- currently happy as a clam

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quidthulhu posted:

Or those Murder Mystery Dinners in a box that have been around forever. They are fun but you can only play them once.

For my 17th birthday I bought and hosted one of those and invited my friends. If you're unfamiliar with them, you all dress up & have roles to play and you walk around in character and slowly dole out a trickling of the truth based on cards you all have and keep secret.

At the end of the entire dinner, you are supposed to read a final statement, then everyone votes on who they think the killer was. One by one we all went around reading our last statement, until it got to my buddy, who read his final statement.

Then he throws down his card and goes "I was the killer by the way, I used the blah blah blah" and read the portion of the card that he wasn't supposed to read, but by god, he was going to barrel on!

At which point I asked "...so....does anyone want to guess who the killer was?"

Then we played NIGHTMARE: THE VIDEO BOARDGAME.

My tastes in boardgames have improved since I was 17 (except for NIghtmare, that poo poo is still great).

Its like the King of the Hill Episode where they start the game and Launn asks "who is this person, and why would they want to kill me?" then they are stuck on a train ride with no game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Conquest7706 posted:

Let it be known that I love Wir sind das Volk!, it scratches that Twilight Struggle itch and THERE ARE NO DICE.

Can't wait to play it myself, it looks great. And I am really curious to see what the 4-player expansion (adds US & USSR) will look like. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315481/4p-expansion-works

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Bombadilillo posted:

Its like the King of the Hill Episode where they start the game and Launn asks "who is this person, and why would they want to kill me?" then they are stuck on a train ride with no game.

Ahahaha, I once played Mafia with a bunch of my middle school student and I had playing cards and said "If you get a face card, you're mafia" and one of my students after I had everything distributed went "wait...what's a face card? like, this king?"

Had to redistribute everything :v:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Playing Battlestar Galactica we had a first time player with Baltar look at his loyalty cards and ask, "what does it mean if my cards are different?".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Playing Battlestar Galactica we had a first time player with Baltar look at his loyalty cards and ask, "what does it mean if my cards are different?".

That's when you play out a sample turn and show how brigging works.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Don't let boardgaming thread elitism get you down, be your own man and play what you like!

I think maybe I just have low standards or something because exit looks neat despite the bits of negativity I've seen regarding that series. It's a one-and-done thing, sure, but it looks like a fun one-and-done mystery thing and while it apparently requires destroying and cutting and drawing on bits of the material, I certainly don't mind taking the extra time to photocopy anything that would need to be destroyed so that I can save the original and destroy the copy and run the original unharmed game for others in the future.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Escape the Room I played was pretty fun for 2 hours and only a tenner. The puzzles seemed to be well constructed. Exit seems the same so I will probably get at least one to give it a try.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also the one I played didn't require you to destroy anything so I don't think you'll need to photocopy stuff.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

Ahahaha, I once played Mafia with a bunch of my middle school student and I had playing cards and said "If you get a face card, you're mafia" and one of my students after I had everything distributed went "wait...what's a face card? like, this king?"

Slightly related, but less excusable at his age: I saw a youtube clip once of Chris Pratt doing a card trick on some show and he asked will.i.am what card he had and he answered "red diamond A".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Also the one I played didn't require you to destroy anything so I don't think you'll need to photocopy stuff.

The the reviews I've read and the description in the manual for the game itself mentions that you'll wanna have a pencil and scissors and stuff to cut things out or draw on stuff with, so they can do a lot more with the puzzles according to the shut up & sit down review I read but at the expense of it being destroyed once you finish it

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ooo Gloomhaven, where art thou :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I beat Soviet Dawn on the 4th try. I feel like I just got really lucky with the draws though and managed to eliminate 3 fronts that way while Finland never activated. The game was obviously going to be pretty dull with only the Baltic and Allies to fight so I rushed to a political victory.

It seems like a decent game but I doubt it has the replayability I'm really looking for in a solo game. So I kind of wish I'd spent my $37 (!) on Colonial Twilight instead, but it is nice to have a game that's a lot quicker and smaller than a COIN.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Conquest7706 posted:

Yo you wanna play it on BGC? I played one game and I'm hooked, but FatSamurai is in a different time zone than me so our asynchronous game has been hot or miss(not a call-out since I didn't even check BGC for a week straight once).

Also whaaaaat at a 4 player expansion?! Is the physical copy of WSDV worth it to purchase? I seriously love it and have only played one full game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I played one of those Exit games and they're fine once you get over the fact that they're one play and done. Think of it like going out to a movie or whatever. For $12 you get a cooperative puzzle that will entertain you and your friends for an evening.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Yo you wanna play it on BGC? I played one game and I'm hooked, but FatSamurai is in a different time zone than me so our asynchronous game has been hot or miss(not a call-out since I didn't even check BGC for a week straight once).

Also whaaaaat at a 4 player expansion?! Is the physical copy of WSDV worth it to purchase? I seriously love it and have only played one full game.

I haven't tried it on BGC yet but I'd be down. I'm central USA time.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Conquest7706 posted:

Same and same

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So I'm at Origins and they have a lot of copies of Three Kingdoms Redux for like 50bux. I remember it being talked about for awhile here. Worth getting?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Archenteron posted:

So I'm at Origins and they have a lot of copies of Three Kingdoms Redux for like 50bux. I remember it being talked about for awhile here. Worth getting?

It's a great heavy auction/wp game with the caveats that it's strictly 3player only and takes around 3 hours.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just played Pandemic Iberia last night. I've only played halfway through Legacy and never vanilla Pandemic, so I don't know too well how it varies, but I enjoyed it very much. The train track placement is clever, letting you try and set up important locations on rails so people can get to it. The fact that you need to discover a cure in a hopsital of the same color is a neat wrinkle, since that means you effectively need one more card to cure and must go to a particular location to cure. The protection of the purified water tokens is really great; both because you can dole out protection instead of just curing, but also because since it covered an area instead of a city, it could get knocked off by neighboring towns if you're not careful.

I was the politician, and I thought he was going to suck, but his ability to go somewhere, discard that card for a hospital, then discard anything to get that card back to use for a cure, was super freaking handy.

And, maybe this is a little silly but I also like the (seemingly to my eyes) positive representation in the game. Pandemic always seemed to be good for that, so this is not really a surprise.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Conquest7706 posted:

Me too, on both counts.

I own a physical copy and would say it's worth getting. There's so little hidden information that you can even play it solo, playing both sides.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Lorini posted:

Yup! A friend got me a copy. It's probably going to end up costing north of $150 after all is said and done, but I'm looking forward to it

$165 and I'll have it on Thursday. Gonna play it right away so if it sucks I can flip it and get my money back. ::d:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Papes posted:

Thank you, much appreciated. Do you happen to recall how long your first game took?

We played 2 games in an afternoon, about 2,5-3 hours each.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've come up with some houserules for Cards Against Humanity that I wanted to feel out. Here they are:

Whenever someone in your group says they want to play Cards Against Humanity, the rest of the group will race each other to be the first to say the following: "gently caress, poo poo, penis, vagina, black people, white people, Jewish people, Asian people, gay people, famous people, dead people, women, and having sex." The first person to say the whole thing has successfully played an entire game of Cards Against Humanity and gets to pick what game you play now.

Pros:

drastically reduces play time of CaH

distills game down to its essence

adds an element of actual skill lacking in the base game

Cons

requires having a friend who wants to play Cards Against Humanity

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

fr0id posted:

I've come up with some houserules for Cards Against Humanity that I wanted to feel out. Here they are:

Whenever someone in your group says they want to play Cards Against Humanity, the rest of the group will race each other to be the first to say the following: "gently caress, poo poo, penis, vagina, black people, white people, Jewish people, Asian people, gay people, famous people, dead people, women, and having sex." The first person to say the whole thing has successfully played an entire game of Cards Against Humanity and gets to pick what game you play now.

Pros:

drastically reduces play time of CaH

distills game down to its essence

adds an element of actual skill lacking in the base game

Cons

requires having a friend who wants to play Cards Against Humanity

Another option is use the cards to play Charades.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know of a way to get my hands on the two recent Onitama promo cards, Sheep and Goat? Found a thread from a couple years ago saying the Phoenix/Turtle duo were sold individually at Origins...but so far the new ones haven't popped up on eBay or the BGG market.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

garthoneeye posted:

yeah i cant wait to see strangers at a party act out "asian people"

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Countblanc posted:

yeah i cant wait to see strangers at a party act out "asian people"

Just pull on the corners of your eyes, jeez. It's not hard. Now "two midgets making GBS threads in a bucket" - there's a challenge.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

garthoneeye posted:

The questions, the answers, or a random combo?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Conquest7706 posted:

What's your eastern strat, because I have serious problems holding out and coming out of the first age with a solid position. Usually I only just survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there a cheap knockoff name for the yugioh dueling disks? My friends agreed that we need to play with them but the original ones are apparently collectors items now.