Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Mike Myers donated a good chunk of his personal fortune to a small blu-ray label in the UK when they were in financial troubles basically ensuring they will go on forever restoring and caring for old films that would otherwise be forgotten. He's a really great guy with a passion for film only matched by Tarantino. He just doesn't have that much creativity left and has suffered a backlash.

If he really loved film he wouldn't have subjected it to The Love Guru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

Okay, Fusco just did Reese's speach to Carter back at him, which is amazing. This episode has been really good.

Saul Rubinek is alway great.

One of the reasons I never minded some of the slower build up of Person of Interest is you really need to lay some foundations to truly appreciate the scope of, say, Lionel Fusco's journey to real boy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Basically I think you could edit seasons 1 and 2 into one really great first season and season 3 has been great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

Well I think The Handmaids Tale is probably the best television series since Breaking Bad and the Sopranos and The Wire combined. Holy poo poo.

:agreed:

It and Patriot have stepped up to rival Rectify in terms of "holy poo poo that was a good first season"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

Basically I think you could edit seasons 1 and 2 into one really great first season and season 3 has been great.

I think I agree, but it wouldn't be a bloodless edit. There are up and down episodes but the slow burn shifting into a more blatant... is dystopia the right word...as the seasons go on kinda does it for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, basically all the stand-alone episodes I don't care about at all. There are important character development episodes in season one, as well as setting up the premise, but I would hack out like 2/3 of season one and not miss it at all. You could even cut chunks out of Elias's "story arc" because it's boring an unimportant. The key ones need to be there, obviously.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I cannot get the Patriot theme song out of my head. I'd been a Vasthi Bunyan fan before the show but god this song is way catchier than any of the ones on her albums.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I never liked the Austin Powers or Wayne’s World movies (I did like the SNL sketches though) but I think So I Married an Axe Murderer is a super underrated gem of a comedy movie.

He should have made that into a franchise.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So I Married An Axe Murderer is underrated, although I can only suspend my disbelief so much over the Weekly World News being correct.

The Austin Powers trilogy is a great example of diminishing returns in a franchise. The first movie is quite good, the second is OK but has some retread jokes, and the third isn't good and has even more reused jokes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

get that OUT of my face posted:

So I Married An Axe Murderer is underrated, although I can only suspend my disbelief so much over the Weekly World News being correct.

The Austin Powers trilogy is a great example of diminishing returns in a franchise. The first movie is quite good, the second is OK but has some retread jokes, and the third isn't good and has even more reused jokes.

The first one is an actual movie in that it has a plot and themes and character growth and is an actual parody of old Bond movies, the sequels are just a bunch of jokes and sketches strung together by the faintest of plot skeletons. The Spy Who Shagged Me at least made an attempt at making some new jokes with Mini Me and the time travel goofs but Goldmember was all rehashes and references to the previous movies, which is a shame because it managed to somehow completely waste Beyonce and Michael Caine. If Goldmember was your first then you probably get the best possible experience since you were getting all the jokes for the first time instead of seeing them regurgitated for the second or third time.

The opening gag of a big-budget Hollywood adaptation of the first movie with Tom Cruise as Austin and Danny DeVito as Mini-Me was kind of funny, I guess?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Mann posted:

The opening gag of a big-budget Hollywood adaptation of the first movie with Tom Cruise as Austin and Danny DeVito as Mini-Me was kind of funny, I guess?

Danny DeVito firing a machine gun while yelling "Hey assholes, I'm Mini-Me" is funnier, more smartly written and more original than anything in the next 90-odd minutes.

Except maybe the subtitled British expressions scene. That was memorable.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

He should have made that into a franchise.

So I'm Still Married to an Axe Murderer!

Edit: Honey, I Shrunk the Axe Murderer!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I Devorced an Axe Murderer

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I Separated From An Axe Murderer, Got Back Together Again For the Kids, But It Didn't Work Out And Now I'm Seeing A Black Widow From Marina

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Goldmember was all rehashes and references to the previous movies, which is a shame because it managed to somehow completely waste Beyonce and Michael Caine.
The boob ship gag was the worst one IMO. It was self-aware that it was a reused gag from The Spy Who Shagged Me (complete with a random cameo by the Osbournes pointing that out because why the gently caress not), but the better thing to do was to not put it in at all.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

Well I think The Handmaids Tale is probably the best television series since Breaking Bad and the Sopranos and The Wire combined. Holy poo poo.

I've been working my way through it and while it's a great show I think it's really :rolleyes: how they try and use reducing carbon emissions as one of the reasons the nightmare theocracy that the show takes place in came to power. Like, the kind of hardcore conservative Christians who would create a society where women can't read or own property and where the Bible is what they base everything on are also the kinds of people who think that the Earth was given to them by God to use as they see fit and that global warming is just a hoax by the liberal elites.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't think it's one of the reasons they came to power, they were just using it as some political leverage in the negotiation to go "see, we care about other stuff too, we're not a one-issue government". And ecological stewardship/environmentalism is a topic of some concern even in fundamentalist circles.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, when The Handmaid's Tale was written, many centre-left and left-wing parties in western countries remained reluctant to embrace environmentalism to the extent they have in recent years because they still wanted the coal mining votes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

I don't think it's one of the reasons they came to power, they were just using it as some political leverage in the negotiation to go "see, we care about other stuff too, we're not a one-issue government". And ecological stewardship/environmentalism is a topic of some concern even in fundamentalist circles.

Yeah, I could buy that considering it comes up during what is explicitly a negotiation with a foreign nation where they are trying to appeal to outsiders for economic gain. And sci-fi dystopias are inherently allegorical so even though the author of the book has claimed that it's all totally grounded and could really happen I don't hold it against the story itself. It mostly just felt like something they were doing to throw a bone to conservative or religious viewers so they would have something to identify with rather than a cohesive and organic development of the universe of the show and the people in it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I could buy that considering it comes up during what is explicitly a negotiation with a foreign nation where they are trying to appeal to outsiders for economic gain. And sci-fi dystopias are inherently allegorical so even though the author of the book has claimed that it's all totally grounded and could really happen I don't hold it against the story itself. It mostly just felt like something they were doing to throw a bone to conservative or religious viewers so they would have something to identify with rather than a cohesive and organic development of the universe of the show and the people in it.

Conservative religious viewers, if there are any, would want Offred to start mining coal to make america great again in her spare time.

I just slogged through episode 8, still abominably boring. Please someone comparing this to The Wire or Breaking Bad, explain yourself. Did nobody else read this in school?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well, with the new Ducktales if they get nothing else right at least they nailed Launchpad. Beck Bennett was a great choice for a voice actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3elTVTt_ER4

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

By the way, kudos to this thread for talking about the existence of "Oh Hello" on Netflix. I've heard lots of good things when it was running on Broadway. I hope John Mulaney gets back on TV soon, his terrible Fox sitcom must have really poisoned the well.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 17, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
"Oh Hello" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. My wife and I were laughing hysterically almost the entire time. My comedy nerdery has rubbed off on her, and her old-school theater dorkiness has infected me, so we were pretty much their target audience. We both love John Mulaney, but I could never get into Kroll Show, mostly for some of his other obnoxious characters. I was vaguely familiar with Gil and George and "Too Much Tuna," but she watched it pretty much completely cold. I wish I could watch it again for the first time, but I'm sure it will have a lot of great re-watch value, unlike most stand-up specials.

I think it will be very polarizing, but I loved it, and I will be fascinated to know who else loved it, and who hated it. By the way, Mulaney is touring again this fall!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't seen Oh Hello yet but I've been wanting to because every time they do those characters on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast it's fantastic.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

"Oh Hello" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. My wife and I were laughing hysterically almost the entire time. My comedy nerdery has rubbed off on her, and her old-school theater dorkiness has infected me, so we were pretty much their target audience. We both love John Mulaney, but I could never get into Kroll Show, mostly for some of his other obnoxious characters. I was vaguely familiar with Gil and George and "Too Much Tuna," but she watched it pretty much completely cold. I wish I could watch it again for the first time, but I'm sure it will have a lot of great re-watch value, unlike most stand-up specials.

I think it will be very polarizing, but I loved it, and I will be fascinated to know who else loved it, and who hated it. By the way, Mulaney is touring again this fall!

It really was excellent

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Seeso is in trouble with having to lay off some of the staff and losing a key executive. This is mainly a problem because MBMB&M is spectacular and I'm not sure who else would pay for such foolishness.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently Seeso is in trouble with having to lay off some of the staff and losing a key executive. This is mainly a problem because MBMB&M is spectacular and I'm not sure who else would pay for such foolishness.

It's also a problem because I don't know who else would pay for Take My Wife, though that's a considerably safer bet than MBMB&M.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I know a lot of you weren't all that hot on Powerless when it was running (I enjoyed it, thought it had potential). However, one of the unaired episodes featured Adam West. NBC and DC have decided to release that episode for free on YouTube to honor Adam West since it was essentially the last thing he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUJ8vNugi6c

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

I never liked the Austin Powers or Wayne’s World movies (I did like the SNL sketches though) but I think So I Married an Axe Murderer is a super underrated gem of a comedy movie.

Wayne's World 2 might be the best comedy sequel ever made.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MBMB&M recently released on iTunes for international viewers and wound up being one of the top-sellers for that time period, I'm hopeful that it being successful there would translate to it getting picked up elsewhere when Seeso inevitably crashes and burns.

Or even if they can't get the rights to the show itself, the question and answer format of the show is the least important thing about it and you could give them a show about almost everything else. They built an entire media empire off of the fact that they're sweet, sweet boys with great chemistry who are entertaining doing almost anything whether it's shilling for sex toys and web hosts, playing dungeons and dragons with their dad, trying to be in Trolls 2, or creating characters in video games.

Heck, Food Network could turn Munch Squad into a show and I'd probably watch it.

bull3964 posted:

So, I know a lot of you weren't all that hot on Powerless when it was running (I enjoyed it, thought it had potential). However, one of the unaired episodes featured Adam West. NBC and DC have decided to release that episode for free on YouTube to honor Adam West since it was essentially the last thing he did.

I have no idea how'd you actually watch it but one of my favorite weird Adam West things was the CBS tv movie Return to the Batcave, which is partially a dramatization about the creation of the 60s TV show and partially a romp about an elderly modern day Adam West and Burt Ward trying to rescue a stolen Batmobile with almost all of the surviving cast members reprising their roles. It even had a pre-meme Betty White as the celebrity guest star in the sideways window-climbing scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxdTKjNeFM

Lurdiak posted:

Wayne's World 2 might be the best comedy sequel ever made.

I really appreciated 22 Jump Street for building an entire movie around the meta joke of comedy sequels almost always being a rehash of the first one with a bigger budget.

Especially when the amazing ending credits montage wound up being surpassed by real life with them currently making a Men in Black/21 Jump Street crossover movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMjKaqk_3EI

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 17, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That crossover movie isn't happening. It was canceled.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would think that the McElroy podcasting caliphate is able to fund their own show if they wanted to so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

I would think that the McElroy podcasting caliphate is able to fund their own show if they wanted to so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

I think they just must not like dealing with actual managent and organization stuff because both Maximum Fun and Polygon are more or less riding entirely on the backs of them, their friends, and their extended families and they seem content to just let them take their cut and handle hosting and booking while they goof around instead of making any effort to go independent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bull3964 posted:

Nope. He finished doing his lines for the return of the caped crusader film with the shat as Two Face

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Uhhhhhhh Legion is the best thing Fox has done with the xmen license by leaps and bounds. That show was loving awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember when everyone was praising the movie about Wolverine in Japan? What a piece of poo poo movie that was.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah it's fine

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yikes.

I mean Logans pretty good but yikes.

Also i wasn't forgetting logan, legion is still way better. Might be my fav marvel adaptations across the board but it's definitely my fav of the xmen half in fox's hands

Edit: i don't remember much if it besides silver sam being silly

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

also legion's okay I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Im shocked they gave a show so off the wall a budget. Good on fx.

• Locked thread