Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Balls, reading an interview from Cobb a few weeks back and he says his dream is to wrestle Japan. He's been told he's a shorter Gary Albright and his style would translate very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lid posted:

Balls, reading an interview from Cobb a few weeks back and he says his dream is to wrestle Japan. He's been told he's a shorter Gary Albright and his style would translate very well.

Isn't AAA still linked with NOAH? I know it's not the same but it's still Japan.

Alternatively, let's send him to DDT what could go wrong

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ricochet worked for LU and NJPW simultaneously I don't think it'd be an issue

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jenkem Delivery posted:

rico was never a AAA guy tho. It's a bit murkier now that he's in Crash tho as the Bucks have worked there. It's one of those things that may not be totally impossible but the politics certainly don't make it any easier and there's tons of US indie talent that would be politically simpler to book.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic luckily isn't lucha, it's the direct AAA ties (or being a The Crash talent) that cause a problem. NJPW hasn't even made an attempt to book Rey Mysterio Jr for a major show. They are pretty loyal to CMLL.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

Look Cobb is big but I think wrestling all those islands is geologically infeasible.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Next Lion's Gate show features Dick Togo and the debut of yet another YL.

LION`s GATE "LION`s GATE PROJECT 7", 04.07.2017 (NJPW World)
Shinjuku FACE

1. Ren Narita Debut: Shota Umino vs. Ren Narita
2. TAKA Michinoku vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi
3. Manabu Nakanishi & Katsuya Kitamura vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Dinosaur Takuma(K-DOJO_
4. Dick Togo vs. Hirai Kawato
5. Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomoyuki Oka
6. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Koji Iwamoto(AJPW)
7. Yuji Nagata vs. Ayato Yoshida(K-DOJO)

Notes:
- The newest Young Lion Ren Narita was introduced into the New Japan Dojo in April 2016. He is 19 years old, 182 cm tall and weighs in at 83 kg. Narita has a background in Baseball, Kendo and Amateur Wrestling.
(courtesy of STRIGGA at purolove)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yesssssss Dick Togo

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Didn't Dick Togo have a big retirement tour a few years back? Ahhh wrestling. :allears:

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Togo Kawato sounds great.

After Togo's retirement tour the first matches he showed up in were under a mask in Vietnam. He's great.

Willninho fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 16, 2017

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
important

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/875599960250621952

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The most recent Lions Gate from the other day was pretty good for a C show to showcase talent.

I love Kawato. He's definitely the most developed character wise from the current group

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LIJorts

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cena Jorts vs Naito Jorts is a dream match. Book it!

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cena Jorts vs Naito Jorts is a dream match. Book it!

A lumberjorts match

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I Before E posted:

Look Cobb is big but I think wrestling all those islands is geologically infeasible.

Look, if Scott Steiner can wrestle a lot of countries, I'm sure Cobb would have no trouble with the Japanese islands, even Honshu.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope Naito wrestles in the jorts

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Naito needs to come out in his big match suit, and than remove to reveal the jorts

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Naito needs to come out in his big match suit, and than remove to reveal the jorts

what's Spanish for nevernude

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I want to see evil wearing these fine jorts

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

shiksa posted:

what's Spanish for nevernude

nevernudé

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I don't "get" KUSHIDA. The 4.75 star Dominion match was my first experience with him and I'd probably have that match at my 4th or 5th favorite of the show. Am I missing context? What is Big Dave appreciating that I'm not?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nice try

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Helicity posted:

I don't "get" KUSHIDA. The 4.75 star Dominion match was my first experience with him and I'd probably have that match at my 4th or 5th favorite of the show. There's no way I would ever rate it above Zayn vs. Nakamura in NXT (4.5). Am I missing context? What is Big Dave appreciating that I'm not?

Honestly 90% of what made that match was the 7 month feud leading to it. Takahashi debuted and immediately challenged KUSHIDA who had more or less held the title for a year. At WK11 Takahashi wins and KUSHIDA asks for his rematch. Takahashi beats him in 90 seconds which NEVER happens in njpw title matches. Kushida has spent basically the last 4 months clawing and scratching his way back to a title shot. The whole time this is going on Takahashi is just taunting him. There was a lot of story going into this match.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 17, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I sorta knew the story with Kushida losing at WK and then again in 90 seconds, then winning the BOSJ, but this was the first Kushida match I'd actually seen and I thought 4.75 was right on, and you coulda even gone 5.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KUSHIDA is the kind of guy who goes out there and delivers an incredible match... and then three or four matches follow it that are as good or better because they involve the likes of Okada, Omega, Tanahashi, Naito, Suzuki (arguably) and in the past AJ Styles and Shibata. As a result, it's easy to overlook or downplay just how good his match was, because the bar keeps getting reset.

Hell, sometimes Goto manages to put on an even better match, just because he tends to rise to the quality of his opponent.

It's a great problem for fans of NJPW to have!

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Actually Kushida is the best

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

KUSHIDA is the kind of guy who goes out there and delivers an incredible match... and then three or four matches follow it that are as good or better because they involve the likes of Okada, Omega, Tanahashi, Naito, Suzuki (arguably) and in the past AJ Styles and Shibata. As a result, it's easy to overlook or downplay just how good his match was, because the bar keeps getting reset.

Hell, sometimes Goto manages to put on an even better match, just because he tends to rise to the quality of his opponent.

I couldn't get over how much brawling was in the Dominion match

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Thanks. Missing the buildup explains a lot to me. I also essentially watched Dominion in reverse order - I *had* to see Okada/Omega and Naito/Tanahashi, then I went back through the whole card. By the time I got to the match in question I was perhaps burnt out. It was a really good match regardless, I just didn't see it as near perfection.

Jerusalem posted:

As a result, it's easy to overlook or downplay just how good his match was, because the bar keeps getting reset.

[...]

Yeah, it really is.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Actually, KUSHIDA is bad because he split up Hiromu and Mr Belto.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

KUSHIDA like Back to the Future and Tim Hortons so make of that what you will.

I actually like that he's such a dork for Back to the Future, though again he's like only the third guy from the top into stuff like that

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
When I first got into NJPW the main way I tried to sell it to friends was to tell them it's "so good that there's a guy who always comes out dressed like Marty McFly and he's not even my favorite."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
KUSHIDA is in a short list with Mistico, Dragon Lee II and Rush where I want to write up an argument they are the actual best in the world right now, but aren't in a position to show it with star ratings.

Okada's year has been so good that I don't bother.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Which Mistico?

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

MassRafTer posted:

KUSHIDA is in a short list with Mistico, Dragon Lee II and Rush where I want to write up an argument they are the actual best in the world right now, but aren't in a position to show it with star ratings.

Okada's year has been so good that I don't bother.

dominion made me finally become super invested in kushida, that dude is so crisp and so good at being the fiery babyface that will get pissed enough to just slug a man in the mouth. kushida/takahashi was the match i come away from feeling blown away the most. I like Okada/Omega 2 a ton, and it's a big, insanely impressive match, but the Jr. Heavyweight match was my motn, especially with the Bushi ending for the cherry on top.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Which Mistico?

There is only one legal Mistico.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

dominion made me finally become super invested in kushida, that dude is so crisp and so good at being the fiery babyface that will get pissed enough to just slug a man in the mouth. kushida/takahashi was the match i come away from feeling blown away the most. I like Okada/Omega 2 a ton, and it's a big, insanely impressive match, but the Jr. Heavyweight match was my motn, especially with the Bushi ending for the cherry on top.

I voted for him as Best Technical Wrestler the only time I ever bothered voting in the Observer Awards and felt very justified even though it was before he'd really had a chance to shine in big singles matches.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

KUSHIDA has a real good match with Zach Sabre JR on New Japan World from a Rev Pro show that's some real good mat wrestling that I don't think enough people watched :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Caristico is also extremely good but Mistico is pretty obviously better so I can't make the argument for him as BITW. It's funny because I didn't really appreciate him during his peak. It was only after WWE and the fans unfairly crapped on him that I really appreciated how good he is.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
KUSHIDA's holds and transitions are so good because he knows how to get across intention and intensity along with actual technical prowess, and it's why he's really one of the guys people should study if they're coming from MMA in terms of how to meld the two. he could make shaking your hand look like he's ripping out your fingers. And while he's not super flashy in a traditional way, he will pull out weird, cool stuff like the Kimura Superplex from the match. also his closed hand punch to the jaw is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

https://twitter.com/5742ytsh/status/875549253011070976

• Locked thread