Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The saints poo poo tackles

this guy getting hurt just means some udfa rear end in a top hat is about to make the probowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Andrus Peat, your time to shine as a tackle. Or plug in the rookie we just drafted to take Streif's place.

drat these stupid injuries.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tanking as a boogeyman seems silly in the NFL.

In the 2000's, you've got an argument for: Luck, Cam, Stafford, Eli, Palmer and Vick being worth a tank job so far (and let's add Winston, because why not?), and none of those teams won a Superbowl and only the Panthers have been to one.

Teams that just built their team through a couple of good drafts and midrounded or scrapheaped a QB recently seem to be as successful (Seahawks, Raiders, Bengals, Cardinals, Bills, Washington, (and Dak if you want to be cute)).

What they're calling tanking just seems to be shedding the problem contracts of bad GM work. Who were the Browns supposed to keep last year to make them not one of the worst 5 teams in football? Would the Jets with Marshall and Decker and David Harris not be in the mix for the #1 pick?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Would the Jets with Marshall and Decker and David Harris not be in the mix for the #1 pick?

Eh.. probably not??

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Myles Garrett has a walking boot on his left foot.

The Browns have not provided an update on his injury, but the No. 1 overall pick was photographed wearing the boot at Cleveland Hopkins Airport on Friday. The team excused him from a youth clinic the other rookies attended at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They went 5-11 last year and are starting McCown or Hackenberg while also fielding what was one of the worst defenses in football last year with Harris.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Kalli posted:

In the 2000's, you've got an argument for: Luck, Cam, Stafford, Eli, Palmer and Vick being worth a tank job so far (and let's add Winston, because why not?), and none of those teams won a Superbowl and only the Panthers have been to one.

What timeline is this?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The darkest timeline

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

They went 5-11 last year and are starting McCown or Hackenberg while also fielding what was one of the worst defenses in football last year with Harris.

By rights that defense should be ok or at the very least below average instead of what they were. I don't think I've ever seen a team quit as badly as the Jets did last year and I cannot believe Todd Bowles wasn't fired for it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Caf posted:

What timeline is this?

The timeline that the chargers drafted Eli then traded him for rivers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Caf posted:

What timeline is this?

The Chargers drafted Eli and have not won a superbowl

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Cutting Revis is addition by subtraction, though, and they also added the No Fly Zone!

They just had a 10-win season with Fitzpatrick at the helm. I think they went from like a 5% chance at #1 to something closer to 50%.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah they cut/let walk everyone with talent

Richardson deserves better

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Metapod posted:

The timeline that the chargers drafted Eli then traded him for rivers

Ah, right. I honestly forgot that happened.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Imagine if that trade never happens and Rivers is a 5 time superbowl champion with the Steelers

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

But like, the efficacy of tanking is kind of incidental to the argument. As long as more teams start to think that tanking is better than finishing 6–10, it's at least somewhat plausible that we could have four or five teams stripping their rosters of assets each offseason and end up with less competitive games.

It could create a situation where wildcard berths are even more disproportionately determined by season schedules.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

By rights that defense should be ok or at the very least below average instead of what they were. I don't think I've ever seen a team quit as badly as the Jets did last year and I cannot believe Todd Bowles wasn't fired for it.

That's what I don't get. They're burning the roster to the ground now, starting in year 3 of Todd Bowles. So next year they draft the QB and the rest of the roster still sucks and then... draft great again and are approaching good in year 5? That's best case scenario and when's the last time a coach got to 5 years after 3 as bad as they're in the middle of now happening?

If they fire Bowles next year, are they just making him coach this year because they couldn't even start the rebuild yet and he's a dead man walking?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

But like, the efficacy of tanking is kind of incidental to the argument. As long as more teams start to think that tanking is better than finishing 6–10, it's at least somewhat plausible that we could have four or five teams stripping their rosters of assets each offseason and end up with less competitive games.

It could create a situation where wildcard berths are even more disproportionately determined by season schedules.

Yeah, I just don't think there's an argument that the draft pick difference matters at all unless there's an Andrew Luck coming

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Reggie Bush and Von Miller won Super Bowls for the teams that drafted them. Tank until you're the second-worst team in the league.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah they cut/let walk everyone with talent

Richardson Leonard Williams deserves better

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

a neat cape posted:

Imagine if that trade never happens and Rivers is a 5 time superbowl champion with the Steelers

Cowher preferred Rivers to any QB in that draft, once Rivers was gone The Jaw wanted an o-lineman over Ben. Dan Rooney had to step in

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

fsif posted:

I don't think teams will ever believe that in football. Most draft boards are tiered anyway. It's not like there is normally that big a difference between top picks. You usually see that players have a round-based grade.

Also, the importance of game day reps in player development is huge. You need your young talent to get meaningful reps if you want to be competitive. Even if the current year is a loss.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Cowher preferred Rivers to any QB in that draft, once Rivers was gone The Jaw wanted an o-lineman over Ben. Dan Rooney had to step in

As good as Ben is, I do think the Steelers still would've won the title in 05 if Rivers fell to them. Good o-line, solid run game, and a fantastic defense the likes of which Rivers never has enjoyed with the Chargers.

2008's a lot dicier, because that Steeler o-line really sucked and Rivers isn't the kind of dude who could shrug off linebackers like Ben could in his prime.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

Football outsiders released their defeat numbers for last year: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-defeats

A defeat is:

A tackle that results in a loss of yardage, including sacks.
Any play that results in a turnover, including tipped passes which are then intercepted.
Any tackle or tipped pass that leads to a stop on third or fourth down.

And no surprise, overall Khalil Mack and Von Miller were the best players last year.... except that there were two Bills in the top 5 because their run defense was feast or famine. Their run D was like Barry Sanders. If they didn't get a stop behind the line, they averaged giving up 5.6 yards per carry.

The giants also had the top CB and top safety while Aaron Donald and Suh topped the list for non-edge rushing linemen.

Both secondary guys the Texans had on those lists are gone lol

Also Brock is still taking potshots at Bill O'Brien which is hilarious. "Last season my fundamentals slipped and that's why I was bad, unlike 2015 and now"

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Sataere posted:

I don't think teams will ever believe that in football. Most draft boards are tiered anyway. It's not like there is normally that big a difference between top picks. You usually see that players have a round-based grade.

Also, the importance of game day reps in player development is huge. You need your young talent to get meaningful reps if you want to be competitive. Even if the current year is a loss.

I agree most draft boards are tiers rather than explicit ordinal rankings. But still, tanking increases your chances of getting higher draft capital. How the team chooses to use that is besides the point.

If I was a GM I'd let the owner know it's going to be a rough start. First year on the job I'd trade everybody over 25 years old for as many picks as I could. Then I'd trade as many of the first year draft picks as I could for future picks. Grab a bunch of high-ceiling late round picks and UDFAs. Then promptly finish bottom 3 in the league.

To start year 2 you'd have a bunch of draft capital, huge cap space, and hopefully a few promising young players.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

panthers just hired ron turner :suicide:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
He's Norv's shittier brother, right?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Doing some quick and dirty calculations, I have come to the conclusion that if he drank only Kombucha of average strength (and if it contains no sodium like google tells me) he would die of hyponatremia before he got to that BAC.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Durandal1707 posted:

As good as Ben is, I do think the Steelers still would've won the title in 05 if Rivers fell to them. Good o-line, solid run game, and a fantastic defense the likes of which Rivers never has enjoyed with the Chargers.

2008's a lot dicier, because that Steeler o-line really sucked and Rivers isn't the kind of dude who could shrug off linebackers like Ben could in his prime.

Seeing how Ole Grey Dick was absolute poo poo in 05....

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Roethlisberger was ok in 2005, they just didn't ask him to do a lot. Now in 2006 he was flat out bad.

He wasn't very good in 2008 either, which is funny because that team was certainly pretty damned good.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Like 2 months ago this same writer did a Ringer column on how there's no way to actually tank in the NFL.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Like 2 months ago this same writer did a Ringer column on how there's no way to actually tank in the NFL.

That's dumb, hypocritical, and obviously not true? I dislike this author.

e: Unless he means like, no Owner/President of Operations would allow that to happen?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I can kind of see the Colts tanking in 2011.

We're they really that bad w/o peyton?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
With a league average QB, no.

Curtis Painter/corpse of Kerry Collins were definitely not that.

Relevant/I love this quote:

Ron Jaworski posted:

As we watched, we were surprised to see Manning taking virtually all the reps in the session.  Jon [Gruden] asked Tom [Moore, the Colts offensive coordinator,] why he wasn’t giving some snaps to Peyton’s backups…He looked at us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, “Fellas, if ‘18’ goes down, we’re hosed.  And we don’t practice hosed.”

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I agree most draft boards are tiers rather than explicit ordinal rankings. But still, tanking increases your chances of getting higher draft capital. How the team chooses to use that is besides the point.

If I was a GM I'd let the owner know it's going to be a rough start. First year on the job I'd trade everybody over 25 years old for as many picks as I could. Then I'd trade as many of the first year draft picks as I could for future picks. Grab a bunch of high-ceiling late round picks and UDFAs. Then promptly finish bottom 3 in the league.

To start year 2 you'd have a bunch of draft capital, huge cap space, and hopefully a few promising young players.

The problem with that is when the new GM they bring in two years later gets to capitalize on your plan. :v:

You can do most of that without tanking. I get the seeming value in tearing it down, but trading established pieces for hope in football is a dangerous and unnecessary game.

You can churn your roster for depth and just acquire draft picks without tanking, all the while trying to maximize the talent you have.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

panthers just hired ron turner :suicide:

What's a ron turner precious?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/875832378501074944
https://twitter.com/BZ2448/status/875833858117308416

Colin Kaepernick: famous for keeping his politics out of his NFL career.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

:thunk:

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Looks like this tweet got deleted. What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Looks like this tweet got deleted. What was it?

Still up for me, but just in case:

@Kaepernick7

A system that perpetually condones the killing of people, without consequence, doesn't need to be revised, it needs to be dismantled!

With a picture of a runaway slave patrol badge next to a police officer's badge.

brandon zimmerman @BZ2448

@Kaepernick7 funny you aint care about this poo poo when you were in the NFL spot light smh as soon as ya career went downhill you turned activist #fraud

• Locked thread