Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I want to clean and sleeve all those records...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
A few things I've acquired as of late.

Barghest/Flase split.

Barghest.

False.

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World.

The insert.

The sleeves.

A/B disc.

C/D disc.

Evil Dead 2 soundtrack.

Poster.

A.

B.

Also, I've somehow found myself with a small collection of cassettes.

Twin Peaks soundtrack. I don't think this was played much, looks pretty minty fresh.

Elder - demo.

A couple splits my friends' band Sea has done recently.

Mizmor - The Psalter MMXVII. A collection of all the music Mizmor has put out.

Has some cool stuff with it. Backpatch, pin, handmade lyrics booklet. The artwork on the three cassettes creates a tryptich.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Man, that reminds me to try to track down a copy of Elder- Lore

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Boinks posted:

No it won't damage your records as long as you have the tracking force set correctly.

Get a Shure m97xe, it's a great starter cart, tracks at 1.25g and you can upgrade the stylus down the road if you want to make it better . The manual for your turntable should tell you how to align a new cartridge, I'm assuming it's a half inch mount.

Thanks! I've added that to my list. I'm just trying to get started with something decent and then I figure I can geek out on everything on down the line.

Which, speaking of... turns out that the turntable I picked up appears to have been damaged in shipment anyways. I reattached the belt, downloaded the manual, and checked everything but I can't get the capstan to rotate however I move the tonearm, so as far as I can tell it's effectively dead in the water and after chatting with the seller, going to be returned. The plug itself was pretty crusty, like it had been sitting in water for an extended period of time so I have my suspicions when the seller says "worked fine when I last used it several months ago". I guess turntables are like motorcycles, if it's not currently running and the seller is claiming it's just a minor carb issue, run for the hills.

Would you guys have any recommendations for a decent turntable for a newbie? Ideally like to stay under two hundred bucks, unless there's some huge improvement to jump to the next tier.

Picked up a couple Saint Motel vinyls off their merch store today, saintmotelevision and their My Type EP, so I'm pretty excited about being able to listen to those here hopefully soon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you can stretch your budget just a little, the Audio Technica AT-LP 120 is probably the best in the price range.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

If you can stretch your budget just a little, the Audio Technica AT-LP 120 is probably the best in the price range.

Oh cool, thanks! That's actually the exact one I just started looking at after reading some stuff on the googler. Do you think I'd run into any issues with a manufacturer refurb unit, or should I just buy new?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh cool, thanks! That's actually the exact one I just started looking at after reading some stuff on the googler. Do you think I'd run into any issues with a manufacturer refurb unit, or should I just buy new?

I buy manufacturer refurb stuff all the time, as long as it's got some sort of warranty and decent return policy I'd think you'd be fine.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I will say, I got an AT-LP3 over the weekend to upgrade from my LP-60 and I absolutely love it. I had a Shure X97 cartridge I put in it, and it sounds great. It's slightly cheaper than the 120 and doesn't play 78s, but is still fully automatic, which I like because I tend to leave records going while I get absorbed into other poo poo. It's newer and the reviews are all great. Might want to give it a quick comparison.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Peas and Rice posted:

I will say, I got an AT-LP3 over the weekend to upgrade from my LP-60 and I absolutely love it. I had a Shure X97 cartridge I put in it, and it sounds great. It's slightly cheaper than the 120 and doesn't play 78s, but is still fully automatic, which I like because I tend to leave records going while I get absorbed into other poo poo. It's newer and the reviews are all great. Might want to give it a quick comparison.

Thanks! That's honestly the main thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the AT120s, is the lack of automatic return. I want the ability to throw on a record as background noise and not have to worry about stopping it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was looking over the local craigslist and I came across a few ads that I wanted to check in with more knowledgeable people to see if any of these would be alright for a beginner turntable.

MCS 6502 for 75$:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/6143454903.html

Realistic Lab 290 for 75$:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/6149473708.html

There's also this Dual 1219 for 350 which seems interesting though relatively overpriced for what I'm seeing on them elsewhere:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/6153301405.html

Any thoughts on whether the MCS or Realistic lab might be better? Or whether it would be worth trying to see if I could talk the Dual 1219 guy down to under 200?

I really really love the Audio Technica LP-120 turntable, but I feel like I'd rather get something with an automatic return, like the LP3 just because I see myself missing the end of the record.

E: There's also this Garrard DD75 turntable which the guy messaged me back saying he was very motivated to sell:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/6092890567.html

Which of those (if any) should I pursue?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 13, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was looking over the local craigslist and I came across a few ads that I wanted to check in with more knowledgeable people to see if any of these would be alright for a beginner turntable.

MCS 6502 for 75$:

There's also this Dual 1219 for 350 which seems interesting though relatively overpriced for what I'm seeing on them elsewhere:

Any thoughts on whether the MCS or Realistic lab might be better? Or whether it would be worth trying to see if I could talk the Dual 1219 guy down to under 200?

I really really love the Audio Technica LP-120 turntable, but I feel like I'd rather get something with an automatic return, like the LP3 just because I see myself missing the end of the record.

E: There's also this Garrard DD75 turntable which the guy messaged me back saying he was very motivated to sell:

The MCS is way too much money for a lovely TT, the Realistic is ok at $75. I'd rather pay $50 since you'll probably want a new cartridge. Dual is too much money. Pass on the Garrard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I picked up that MCS for $30 in a record store, haven't hooked up to anything yet but apparently with the right amp it can sound decent enough. Worth the $30 I'm sure, but probably not much more than that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Keep in mind the Garrard doesn't have auto-return, just auto-stop. There's no automatic tone-arm movement at all.

I used a DD-75 for many years as my primary turntable, so I have some fondness for it. I particularly like the look and how the buttons feel. I eventually got a Technics SL-3300 and haven't looked back because I love automatic features.

Some things to look for on the DD-75:
-The speed might be inconsistent. This can be cleaned up with some contact cleaner on the 45 and 33 speed adjustments. Also, there is no separate pitch adjustment for each speed, so you'll be adjusting it whenever you switch from 45/33.
-My tonearm has no dampening at all. Don't know how easy that is to fix or if it's supposed to be dampened.
-The tonearm lever likes to spring up on its own with age. If it's doing that, you might need to disconnect the spring, which makes the movement harsher, but doesn't affect usage much.
-My auto-stop didn't activate at the right point, but this can be adjusted as well.

$200 is very overpriced, but if the guy is truly desperate to sell, $100 might make it the best option of the ones you posted.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

MCS 6502 for 75$:

MCS was a JC Penny house brand. They were manufactured by maybe Technics, I think, but echoing that it's not a good price.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got lucky and got one of the $8 copies of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy from Amazon. I like it, but why the hell is it split across 3 LP's? They really couldn't fit 68 minutes on 2xLP? It's ridiculous having to flip the record every other track.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I'm no expert and i hate to defend kanye but that's probably just cause the track lengths don't add up and they'd rather have dead wax than flipping mid song

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SeXReX posted:

I'm no expert and i hate to defend kanye but that's probably just cause the track lengths don't add up and they'd rather have dead wax than flipping mid song

What bothers me is if they were going to do that, why not master for 45 then?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

wa27 posted:

I got lucky and got one of the $8 copies of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy from Amazon. I like it, but why the hell is it split across 3 LP's? They really couldn't fit 68 minutes on 2xLP? It's ridiculous having to flip the record every other track.

I think I remembered reading that this pressing sounds like poo poo, does it?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Barry posted:

I think I remembered reading that this pressing sounds like poo poo, does it?

Sounds fine to me, but I'm definitely not the best person to ask (because of my non-discerning ear and less than ideal setup). I see a lot of people say their pressings skipped on first playthrough. There's so much deadwax on each disc that I would have expected them to space out the grooves more to avoid that (that's a thing, right?). There's also the issue of no tracks on the labels, and the disc#/side# labeling is stupidly hard to read. Overall it's a pretty bad release in a lot of aspects, though the packaging is nice.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

Sounds fine to me, but I'm definitely not the best person to ask (because of my non-discerning ear and less than ideal setup). I see a lot of people say their pressings skipped on first playthrough. There's so much deadwax on each disc that I would have expected them to space out the grooves more to avoid that (that's a thing, right?). There's also the issue of no tracks on the labels, and the disc#/side# labeling is stupidly hard to read. Overall it's a pretty bad release in a lot of aspects, though the packaging is nice.

It's ART man.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why do they press 2LP's when they can fit on one? is there a reason for it?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Glazier posted:

What bothers me is if they were going to do that, why not master for 45 then?

rap djs dont spin 45s man

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

why do they press 2LP's when they can fit on one? is there a reason for it?

I think some companies just don't like to exceed the 23 minutes/side standard. My pressing of Hot Sauce Committee Part Two is 44 minutes on 2xLP and it's pretty annoying to flip every 11 minutes. But then my re-release of Paul's Boutique is 53 minutes on 1xLP and it sounds just fine. Both are on Capitol, too. It's pretty nice only having to flip once in an hour. I actually wish releases would do 3 sides (with a blank side 4) if they really don't want to fit it on one disc.

It could also be the same thing as DVD companies liked to do toward the end of DVD's life - cram as many discs into the package as they can to increase perceived value. I suspect that's what is going on with the Kanye album.

edit: found a better example.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 15, 2017

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

wa27 posted:

There's so much deadwax on each disc that I would have expected them to space out the grooves more to avoid that (that's a thing, right?).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

wa27 posted:

I think some companies just don't like to exceed the 23 minutes/side standard. My pressing of Hot Sauce Committee Part Two is 44 minutes on 2xLP and it's pretty annoying to flip every 11 minutes. But then my re-release of Paul's Boutique is 53 minutes on 1xLP and it sounds just fine. Both are on Capitol, too. It's pretty nice only having to flip once in an hour. I actually wish releases would do 3 sides (with a blank side 4) if they really don't want to fit it on one disc.

It could also be the same thing as DVD companies liked to do toward the end of DVD's life - cram as many discs into the package as they can to increase perceived value. I suspect that's what is going on with the Kanye album.

edit: found a better example.

The main thing is how do you want your record to sound. 18-21 minutes if generally considered a sweet spot for vinyl length. Depending on what you are putting on the disc, you can definitely stretch that. But once you get to 25 minutes, you probably are making compromises. Now, that doesn't mean it can't sound good, but you might have to cut it at a quieter volume, or you have to cut the bass frequencies, or what have you.

Also, the closer you get the center, the more inner groove distortion becomes a thing.

For loud, dynamic music, it can become noticable.

Paul's Boutique was initially issued on vinyl when it was common to just cram the entire album onto one disc.

I'm not surprised that it sounds good, though. But there are limits.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wa27 posted:

I actually wish releases would do 3 sides (with a blank side 4) if they really don't want to fit it on one disc.

I've got two good three-siders in my collection - Johnny Winter's Second Winter (which is probably the first instance of this phenomenon) and the repressing of Joe Strummer's Rock Art and the X-Ray Style.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Babby's first good turntable

The seller modified it, removed the pre-amp and cartridge, installed better plugs and grounding wire, and included a better counterweight. He assured me I'd eventually upgrade to a Technics 1200. I doubt it, unless they somehow come down in price. Even at a discount, this table plus a preamp and cart have run me about $450. I'm happy to finally have a decent player!

On the way from Amazon is the AT 440MLB and an ART USB Plus preamp, and cables. Damned cartridge cost me more than the table. I almost got the Shure X97 but reviews said it sounded boring. Hopefully the extra $100 makes a difference. I want to thank everyone in this thread for the help. It's a lot to sift through!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the price for new ones probably isnt going to drop appreciably any time soon and panasonic is actively ignoring the dj market in favor of the high end market but 1200s are a worthy investment in that if you buy a used pair off craigslist you will probably never need to buy another table in your lifetime. especially if you have any interest in djing.

the lp120 is a fine entry/mid level table (i keep one around because i like the usb out) but i wouldnt take it out of the bedroom

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

Babby's first good turntable

The seller modified it, removed the pre-amp and cartridge, installed better plugs and grounding wire, and included a better counterweight. He assured me I'd eventually upgrade to a Technics 1200. I doubt it, unless they somehow come down in price. Even at a discount, this table plus a preamp and cart have run me about $450. I'm happy to finally have a decent player!

On the way from Amazon is the AT 440MLB and an ART USB Plus preamp, and cables. Damned cartridge cost me more than the table. I almost got the Shure X97 but reviews said it sounded boring. Hopefully the extra $100 makes a difference. I want to thank everyone in this thread for the help. It's a lot to sift through!

I have that same cart and table and they are a great combo (the factory cart on the ATLP-120 when I bought mine was worse than the one it comes with now), but fair warning, a new stylus costs the same price as the cart itself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Still rocking an LP60 gently caress all y'all :cool:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

Same, works good for me

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, mine has been good to me. I will upgrade at some point, but it's so much better than what I used to have and it works well enough.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, one time the belt dislodged and went down to the bottom of the drive rod which made my records play slightly faster for a while until I realized what happened.

Other than that it's great!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
picked up the new King Gizzard album

download code for ya'll

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oops

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol, typical stoners

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
On a whim, decided to recapture my youth of accidentally destroying my parents' LPs. Grabbed a Technics SL-3200 at a local store for $100 Trudeau Bucks, looks to be in really good condition from that I can tell, might be all original parts, seems to mechanically do what it's supposed to.

The cartridge is an Audio-Technics AT777 with what appears to be an ATN12S stylus (I can't say I know any of this other than looking at pictures and going "hey, that looks like that!"). I'm not sure if the stylus is good yet, I actually still have to pick up an preamp and a first (sacrificial?) LP. Is there a way to visually tell is a stylus is good or bad?

I see the ATN12S has been discontinued. If it doesn't work, should I just buy a new cartridge or find a third party equivalent of the stylus? If the latter, what are the current goon recommendations for value to get started?

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/super-furry-animals-radiator

SFA's new Radiator remaster has gone up for presale. The original release is currently going for a couple hundred on all the used markets, so nice to have another chance to buy it.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I recently went from an LP60 to a 120. I think without being able to play the two back-to-back, I can't immediately tell the difference. But I have one of the dumbest, shittiest setups in the world ($100 soundbar+sub), I broke the tonearm clamp as soon as I was setting the table up, and I'm a million percent positive that my tracking force is all hosed up from me setting it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Speaking of the LP120, does anyone that has one feel like they've benefited from an external pre-amp?