Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mordiceius posted:

You paid for Stormblood, a game releasing on June 20th.

A preorder bonus is explicitly that, a bonus, something extra beyond what you paid for. It is not a requirement and there is no guarantee.

Basically:
First off, I expect this as a natural thing and accept it.

Second, they paid and continue to pay monthly to play FFXIV whether they're in HW or SB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xeras posted:

Is there a guide to red mage/samurai basics that's fairly short?

Red Mage is really straightforward / intuitive enough that you should be able to pick it up fairly easily. But basically you cast Jolt (or verstone/verfire if you have a proc) then verthunder or veraero depending on what mana you need. get both bars to 80, then use your dash in, melee combo, dash out, repeat. You have a few CDs and an oGCD that you can start mixing in when you get comfortable with the basic rotation.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

If you pre-ordered it was explicitly something you paid for.

I don't know about this argument.

The pre-order is usually cheaper than the game itself and in this case it was the same price, you can't buy early access some other way (for example as a $5 side purchase) so it also isn't a discount to receive it alongside a pre-order. So there was no additional value that changed hands.

One could make the argument that the time value of money comes into effect but honestly it's gonna be something like an additional "cost" of like $0.30 at the end of the day by pre-ordering versus buying it the day it comes out.

It's not like the reviews of the game are gonna alter someone's decision to buy this game or not if they are playing FFXIV at max level because expansions are required to be a part of the endgame which is where you're "supposed" to be. Honestly, if you play FFXIV, you're gonna buy Stormblood. You didn't buy early access, you bought Stormblood early. They gave you something extra. I don't think they, like, stole something from you. It would be hosed up if the entire game was down between now and the launch and you can only play if you had early access.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Pre-order codes didn't suddenly become invalid since the head start launched today right? In getting an error trying to insert the code I got from Green Man Gaming.

Is your code 18 digits? If it is, you redeem it here first: https://redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kaldaris posted:

I wish I had the PvP Combo buttons for casual instancing and grinding.

Calling it now, combo buttons by 5.0 at the latest. It's just so silly that it isn't a thing in pve but is in pvp.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Truga posted:

Calling it now, combo buttons by 5.0 at the latest. It's just so silly that it isn't a thing in pve but is in pvp.

Definitely seems like they've broken the seal here and it'll be a major QOL request for the next expansion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sinteres posted:

Why would anyone stan for a corporation this hard?

Because people losing their mind over this are completely fascinating to me.

Yo, I totally get being frustrated, but goddamn are some people getting severely buttmad.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

jokes posted:

I don't know about this argument.

The pre-order is usually cheaper than the game itself and in this case it was the same price, you can't buy early access some other way (for example as a $5 side purchase) so it also isn't a discount to receive it alongside a pre-order. So there was no additional value that changed hands.

One could make the argument that the time value of money comes into effect but honestly it's gonna be something like an additional "cost" of like $0.30 at the end of the day by pre-ordering versus buying it the day it comes out.

It's not like the reviews of the game are gonna alter someone's decision to buy this game or not if they are playing FFXIV at max level because expansions are required to be a part of the endgame which is where you're "supposed" to be. Honestly, if you play FFXIV, you're gonna buy Stormblood. You didn't buy early access, you bought Stormblood early. They gave you something extra. I don't think they, like, stole something from you. It would be hosed up if the entire game was down between now and the launch and you can only play if you had early access.

The game doesn't work, and it should.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't know which publisher thought up the "let's call the actual launch day of our game 'early access'" thing but it was brilliant

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Yo, I totally get being frustrated, but goddamn are some people getting severely buttmad.

I think it's fine/reasonable to tell people they should just try in a day or two if the problems with the game today are pissing them off too much to have fun, but getting into a semantics argument about how this is actually not at all a problem because Square Enix doesn't owe anyone a working product until Tuesday is a bit much.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

Is your code 18 digits? If it is, you redeem it here first: https://redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com

Got it working, right code, right place but the service took issue with the fact I hadn't deactivated my subscription yet

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's perfectly reasonable to be distressed that the game's servers are having such incredible troubles, but it's also reasonable to expect that this sort of thing will happen, it always does, and if this is any indication of sales then SB drew in an apparently incredible number of newcomers to the game. SB's marketing was way bigger than HW's and it seems to have paid off in one way, but detrimental to another.

It's a situation that needs immediate remediation. I don't expect there to be any major changes before launch day tho

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I also think the false hope situation of clicking on a duty that fails over and over is a big part of the problem too. If there was a massive queue or even just a notice that it's flat out broken, a lot of people would have done other things. If people spammed it for a couple (or more) hours with the expectation that they'd get in though, of course they're upset.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't know which publisher thought up the "let's call the actual launch day of our game 'early access'" thing but it was brilliant

I agree. As bad as the congestion is, I think they made the right call splitting it up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Soothing Vapors posted:

it's seriously insane

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don' t have a personal opinion about this since I'm still at work, but it's really very stupid that they would put a solo instance this early in something that unlocks a ton of expansion content. Reminds me of the items you'd have to click at the beginning of WoW expansions that would despawn before you could, but worse.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if the pre-order is a bonus then if SE just decided to nix the pre-order minion and earrings we would have nothing to complain about right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr E posted:

I don' t have a personal opinion about this since I'm still at work, but it's really very stupid that they would put a solo instance this early in something that unlocks a ton of expansion content. Reminds me of the items you'd have to click at the beginning of WoW expansions that would despawn before you could, but worse.

this thing is actually a blessing for me because it means i'll have RDM at 60+ and doing the same content as my friends since they're all bottlenecked right now, and i still think it's ridiculous

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sinteres posted:

I think it's fine/reasonable to tell people they should just try in a day or two if the problems with the game today are pissing them off too much to have fun, but getting into a semantics argument about how this is actually not at all a problem because Square Enix doesn't owe anyone a working product until Tuesday is a bit much.

Oh, I agree that it's super annoying, but I think we can look at the history of MMO/Expansion launches and could come to see this as an inevitability.

And is that a perfect answer? No. But with the way the internet and server structures work, there is only so much that can be done. I'm not sure what the fix should be either, because even if you didn't have this quest, there will be a bottleneck somewhere, as is inevitable when you have thousands of people trying all to do the same thing.

But as for the people who are severely buttmad and are one step away from calling this a "slap in the face," they should probably go take a nap. Or do something else. Go for a walk. It's beautiful outside right now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

strong bird posted:

The game doesn't work, and it should.

Is it safe

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Farg posted:

if the pre-order is a bonus then if SE just decided to nix the pre-order minion and earrings we would have nothing to complain about right?

Yeah. Pretty much.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Thought I'd never understand Samurai because of the ability names. 20 mins with it and I'm ready to defend glorious Nipponland with my life and honor. Kinda wish this was a tank class tho. It's very flashy and fun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sinteres posted:

I also think the false hope situation of clicking on a duty that fails over and over is a big part of the problem too. If there was a massive queue or even just a notice that it's flat out broken, a lot of people would have done other things. If people spammed it for a couple (or more) hours with the expectation that they'd get in though, of course they're upset.

This goon gets it. If they just put people in a long rear end queue or took the servers down entirely people would be less pissed than they're getting by clicking on an NPC for 6 hours, and it doesn't help that some people DO get in so the hope is there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xeras posted:

Is there a guide to red mage/samurai basics that's fairly short?

Red Mage is surprisingly simple. It goes like this:

Your goal is to build up to at least 80 white mana and 80 black mana, then do your melee combo. You want either your white or black mana to be higher than the other, but not by too much. If they're too far out of balance, the lower one becomes more difficult to increase. You can tell if this happens because the crystal on your job meter will turn white or purple to show which type of mana is too dominant. The crystal will turn red when you have enough mana to do your full melee combo.

Red Mage has a lot of procs. Verthunder can proc Verfire Ready, which will let you cast Verfire. Veraero can proc Verstone Ready, which lets you cast Verstone. Jolt II can proc Impact, which is just a stronger and flashier version of Jolt II.

The rotation can be summarized like this:

1. If it's available, cast Verfire or Verstone. If neither is available but Impact is ready, cast Impact. Otherwise, cast Jolt II.
2. Use the Dualcast proc to cast either Verthunder or Veraero, depending on whether your black or white mana is lower. Never cast these spells without Dualcast--they both have very long cast times and they're specifically meant to be cast instantly using Dualcast.
3. Repeat, trying to keep both black and white mana close to even, until both types of mana are 80 or higher.
4. Melee combo time! Rush in with Corps-a-corps, then do Enchanted Riposte, Enchanted Zwerchau, and Enchanted Redoublement, in that order (because they combo). If you want to, use Displacement to jump back.
5. Now you do your finisher. Whether you use Verflare or Verholy depends on whether your black or white mana is lower. If black is lower, cast Verflare; if white is lower, cast Verholy. You'll get an automatic Verfire or Verstone Ready proc if you cast the right spell there.'
6. Go back to 1 and do it all again!

Here's a graphic of it someone posted on Reddit that you might find easier to follow:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Nice strawman. Most of the criticism is reasonable, you just chose to ignore that so you could reply to one that is remotely "buttmad".

The semantics don't matter. They're selling the game as "early access" (you're paying for the game while this is going on) yet designed it in a moronic way that exacerbates the problem of exploding launch-day servers (which is to be expected to some extent, this is not the main issue) by also breaking non-instanced content so people can't spread out over the world map and at least play other parts of the game (this is the actual problem).

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I preordered and can't play until tomorrow but the anger in this thread was worth the cost of the preorder.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's like 108 degrees outside right now. The idea of trading Raubahn hell for literally burning alive sounds dumb.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I disconnected in a PvP match an hour ago and decided to call it a night, but my friends say my character still shows up online in the same PvP instance.

rip character, forever stuck waging war in the limbo

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

lol

i don't think I've d/ced during a queue to login before

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

I disconnected in a PvP match an hour ago and decided to call it a night, but my friends say my character still shows up online in the same PvP instance.

rip character, forever stuck waging war in the limbo

I got disconnected towards the end of a shatter match, and by the time the queue let me log back in, I was alone in the PvP instance with the results screen open and I've gotten the rewards np.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Minrad posted:

lol

i don't think I've d/ced during a queue to login before

Same thing just happened to me. RIP dead game.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's perfectly reasonable to be distressed that the game's servers are having such incredible troubles, but it's also reasonable to expect that this sort of thing will happen, it always does, and if this is any indication of sales then SB drew in an apparently incredible number of newcomers to the game. SB's marketing was way bigger than HW's and it seems to have paid off in one way, but detrimental to another.

It's a situation that needs immediate remediation. I don't expect there to be any major changes before launch day tho

I think this is a bit different because it's not like a standard ye olde login crush. This is a complete unforced design error.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blattdorf posted:

The Block of Ala Mhigo.
The Queue at the Little Bridge.
The Far Edge of Queue.
Queueblood. (a low-hanging fruit, but whatevs)
I Queue With You.

Also shut up Mordicius, SE doesn't need you to white knight them. They hosed up and as a result a lot of people are blocked out of 99% of the expansion they expected to be playing today. A lot of those people planned around that expectation, taking off from work or whatever else. It loving sucks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think this is a bit different because it's not like a standard ye olde login crush. This is a complete unforced design error.

The latter is true, but the former is becoming true right now too.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Thanks to the people who helped with the red mage rotation. :)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gharbad, I was tanking snowcloak and DCd and now in a queue of 1000. Rip

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the sad part is that, in Warlords of Draenor, blizzard was able to hotfix disable bottleneck quests so that you could skip them until the server was working.

I don't think Squeenix has the tech to do that, so it's just hosed.

Not that it matters if you can't get past Raubahn's wall, as we approach primetime the server grows increasingly unstable and seems to be making GBS threads the bed everywhere now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why does Hall of the Novice have queues for single-player scenarios but critical MSQ steps don't?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xeras posted:

Good luck, Crimson Ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To a degree, I can understand why they'd want to artificially limit instance server load to prevent an all-out crash, but holy poo poo, if their instance servers have such low capacity that the only way to make sure they don't crash is to limit them this much, that's a legitimate problem.

Xeras posted:

Also, the AoE rotation is dead simple:

1. Scatter.
2. Cast Scatter some more.
3. Use Contre Sixte on cooldown.
4. At 30+ black/white mana, use Enchanted Moulinet (frontal cleave melee skill).
5. Go back to casting Scatter.
6. Always Be Scattering.