Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

MrMoo posted:

Ask for a schema to validate against, then ask for an XSLT transform to plain CSV.

There is no language or encoding qualifier, are custom DOCTYPE's a thing?
I wish I could say I didn't include them because its just an example, just like I wish I could say these devs don't generate xml via string concatenation

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol that's an amusing troll

and I wish it was a troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

qhat posted:

i use arch linux

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that guy owns

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

John Big Booty posted:

BLINK TWICE IF THEY ARE HOLDING YOU AGAINST YOUR WILL

I wish I remembered the name of the little green blinky cursor smiley

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

tef posted:

then again we teach architecture on 30 line classes and wonder why every 8 line function becomes 4 subclasses and a builder pattern. every book on code architecture inevitably reads like the 'lifetime of a programmer' joke where hello world gets more and more involved

i am unironically thinking about writing a book on code architecture. i'll try not to gently caress this up.

my motivation is wanting a code arch book that isn't so OO, so mayyybe this'll be an easy problem to avoid.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'd read that
seems like oop generates its own need for books about patterns because there is simply no correct way to use a tool that was invented for no reason at all and has no theoretical backing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know what pattern I'm using for this 3D engine but I'm sure it's bad

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

MononcQc posted:

There's a good essay on that tendency in the context of functional programming: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B59Tysg-nEQZOGhsU0U5QXo0Sjg/view?pref=2&pli=1 -- but I think python plays right into it:

The core ideas here are good, but the author jumps off the rails once he introduces the second example. I'd recommend skipping straight to the conclusions instead, those 8 pages are not worth reading.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

i still dont understand what problem dependency injection or inversion of control or whatever the gently caress spring does is supposed to accomplish

this is not for a lack of trying

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

i can recommend tartan. nice and classic. or paisley if you're after something a bit more daring

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

crazypenguin posted:

i am unironically thinking about writing a book on code architecture. i'll try not to gently caress this up.

my motivation is wanting a code arch book that isn't so OO, so mayyybe this'll be an easy problem to avoid.

there should be a tef_ebooks imprint for stuff like this

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

crazypenguin posted:

not being OO would be good except OO has about as much meaning as agile or devops or post modern

eschaton posted:

there should be a tef_ebooks imprint for stuff like this

eh writing is hard and architecture as your system grows is more about not loving up

a lof of it is knowing what sort of code your api will end up requiring, not exactly foresight, but experience

rt4 posted:

i'd read that
seems like oop generates its own need for books about patterns because there is simply no correct way to use a tool that was invented for no reason at all and has no theoretical backing

eh, it's also that we love to sell silver bullets

honestly i am really not sold on a book about the expression problem from one side of the issue

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fritz posted:

this month ive been writing serious python for the first time in a few years b/c of a package we're evaluating at work and oh geez idk how i did that for a decade, how am i supposed to work without types

everything in python has a type though

even None is the NoneType type (lol)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

QuarkJets posted:

everything in python has a type though

even None is the NoneType type (lol)

every runtime value != everything

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

has anybody here actually seen a corrupt packet over TCP?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
yes

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Arch linux is great. I'm using it right now, in fact.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I am currently using my favorite Linux, macOS 10.13 "High Sierra".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I convinced my boss to force an embedded project (simulated CAN messages) a long gone employee wrote in Python to be rewritten in C and now it runs 30% faster lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am currently using my favorite Linux, macOS 10.13 "High Sierra".

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

"corrupt packet over tcp" being "corrupted data passed by tcp as not corrupt" or what

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I convinced my boss to force an embedded project (simulated CAN messages) a long gone employee wrote in Python to be rewritten in C and now it runs 30% faster lol

how on earth was embedded python within an order of magnitude of c

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

maybe it was written in Cython

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bloody posted:

imo that sounds like an utter waste of time

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

perhaps the core elements of the python program were just python bindings to binaries compiled from C

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

qhat posted:

perhaps the core elements of the python program were just python bindings to binaries compiled from C

i think it was a python shell thingo that was connected to CAPL libs or something. either way i didnt have anything to do with it and only suggested it in a scrum so now i am deemed a smart guy lol

i dont do python so i have no idea what it was other than a failed abortion

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
once again we have a thing in the database that has start_date and an end_date which is now causing problems with overlapping date ranges. and once again it looks like end_date is useless, because there can never be holes in the date ranges

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I once completely reworked my company's C++ JSON parser and made it five times faster. the old parser was super hairy and also dumb.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

really really lovely c

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Share Bear posted:

i still dont understand what problem dependency injection or inversion of control or whatever the gently caress spring does is supposed to accomplish

have you really never passed a callback to anything

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

raminasi posted:

have you really never passed a callback to anything

or attempted to test something that interacts with the outside world heavily

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Bloody posted:

"corrupt packet over tcp" being "corrupted data passed by tcp as not corrupt" or what

Yeah, a receiver application reading different bytes than the sender sent.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dammit, the hard drive in my imac died again

i was able to salvage my 3d program's source code at least. time to install another one, again

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

dammit, the hard drive in my imac died again

i was able to salvage my 3d program's source code at least. time to install another one, again

it sounds like the computer gods are trying to spare u from something :thunk:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Share Bear posted:

Well, if you don't like inversion of control, and you're in Haskell, you can always invert it again.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

can someone post a tldr of why Python is bad so I can show my boss and never use it again

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

python bad

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i think its easy to call other langs from python if you'd rather do that

its really good for throwing poo poo together so you can move on to other projects though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

can someone post a tldr of why Python is bad so I can show my boss and never use it again

python is fine because it's already installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Python's principle problem is that it's popular, so you're more likely to encounter awful Python code and awful people who code in Python. I know this won't convince your boss to not use Python but that's fine because Python is fine to use in a lot of cases

otherwise it's kind of slow and can't effectively do multithreading (you have to use multiprocessing instead, which isn't always ideal), but it's still great as a glue language and as a scripting language for poo poo that doesn't need to run fast or that isn't bottlenecked by the interpreter

• Locked thread