Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Then he detained his wife and child in his police car for hours. The I think 4 or 5 year old girl is seen in video consoling the weeping mother.

Why isn't the country in riot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Trump initially chose Pence, in part, because he looked like a vice president out of central casting — a sort of generically handsome politician, with a close-cropped helmet of white hair and a compact physique that seemed to recall an iconic, Republican male from a bygone era.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Radish posted:

The best part of people with this attitude is they never voted for Obama. They couldn't even do the minimum for "not racist."

I've heard the sentiment seriously from a disturbing number of people in the wild (not internet). All white of course, but many of them young college students in a blue area. :smith:

Most of them never voted for Obama, or more likely have never voted at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RasperFat posted:

In some hopefully good news,

:thunk:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Some interesting assets you have there Donald...

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Southern Suicide.

We can but hope.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Nosfereefer posted:

America bad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know why but this makes me laugh so hard I'm crying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nosfereefer posted:

this is a country where people unironically go "all lives matter".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nosfereefer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBOhQamGGuI

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

scuz posted:

Yanez is a complete joke. The defense leaned heavily on discrediting the witnesses (aka Philando's girlfriend) based on their marijuana use. They got a "self-defense" expert to testify that "if you can see the gun, it's too late." I'm beyond loving pissed. This happened like 10 miles from my house. I thought we were different here in Minnesota, especially after governor Dayton came right out and questioned whether this would have happened if Castile were white. It's infuriating. I'm expecting him to come down on this and will probably be making a phone call to the mansion.

I moved to MN from MO last year, just before the shooting, and have come to the conclusion that Minnesota is just North Missouri with a blue paint job. Like, drat, man. It's the same place with the same people and worse beer selection.

Sorry to poo poo up the Trump thread. Nothing matters. Everything​ sucks.

You're all doing a tremendous job. Bigly. Did you hear about the electoral college win? Landslide.

I really like this thread and it's getting me through this joke of an administration.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nosfereefer posted:

Where does it end, somebody hunts off-season and we riot over pictures of a sad Bambi? *shrugs whitely*

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Nosfereefer posted:

It's because you see, the police are just one step below the military in terms of slobbering mindless reverence by white people in this country. And that's really all there is to it.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

paperwind posted:

It's because you see, the police are just one step below the military in terms of slobbering mindless reverence by white people in this country. And that's really all there is to it.

Until they pull them over for speeding, then they are FASCISTS WHO SHOULD BE OUT STOPPING REAL CRIME!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

which garbage state was it where they made cops a protected class despite the fact there are already harsher punishments for committing crimes against cops? oh and also the cops can quit or just take their uniform off and not have to worry about discrimination or whatever the gently caress.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Nosfereefer posted:

....:(...Because the vic was black. His family was black. And it involved the police. You see that SBA post? That's the sergeant's union in the NYPD. That's what you're up against.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Groovelord Neato posted:

which garbage state was it where they made cops a protected class despite the fact there are already harsher punishments for committing crimes against cops? oh and also the cops can quit or just take their uniform off and not have to worry about discrimination or whatever the gently caress.

Kentucky made it a hate crime to attack police. Because of course they did.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I'm not trying to make some snark remark about the US, it's just so heartbreaking I don't even know.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Louisiana did something similar recently, no?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Acid Haze posted:

It was kind of exasperatingly funny for a little bit.. but for a while now it's just been depressing (to me, personally) since the the republic we're a part of has become a mockery of itself, and while that in a vacuum can be funny, on the other side you also have increasingly alarming things happening across the country and the world. Whereas before people said, for example, that Obama's foreign policy was, "hands off," now it appears we're making fart noises with them. In other words, a stabilizing force in the world and world economy has now become sporadic and random, putting more pressure on everyone else to keep this incredibly complex world economy functioning.

Say what you want about the US being a, "stabilizing force," but with our influence nose-diving it appears like we're only holding onto to our international obligations by the length of our fingernails and no more. I feel this constant dread about what is going to happen next, because despite all the things swirling around Trump I see the chances he's impeached to be low and the chances that, if impeached, that it will mean something to be even less so. Mike Pence would probably help with the first problem, but then the domestic policy damage potential increases as he shuts his mouth and lets the legislature steamroll 'till 2020.

You know, that plus the ever-present insanity of Trump looming always.

e: example, I was at a friends place, he is conservative and had fox news on (this was the day Scalise was shot). It was disturbing how hard they were calling everyone who is left of center of being advocates of violence, extremists, etc. It was in the tone of drumming up fear and anger that I haven't seen very often. In previous days we saw conservative, white-power militias, including one group posing with a gubernatorial candidate.

To be clear, I'm not afraid for me, and I don't think there's going to be a civil war or something. But I feel there are some potentially deadly situations brewing, and that the probability of them happening increases daily as Trump and the people who listen exclusively to him go farther off the edge.
Agree with everyone you stated. The current climate loving sucks. - On a personal note, thanks to Trump my (foreign) Father-in-law canceled his planned trip to America this year, citing the attempted travel ban and basically saying he didn't want to step foot in America while Trump was President. Good times, this.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Paradoxish posted:

Which person would receive a harsher sentence? The guy murdering a cop in cold blood, or the guy murdering a soldier in cold blood?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Louisiana did something similar recently, no?

Looks like LA actually did it first, so I guess that's two states desperate to show the world that their legislatures are irredeemable trash.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

paperwind posted:

Which person would receive a harsher sentence? The guy murdering a cop in cold blood, or the guy murdering a soldier in cold blood?

cop.
it was just a few weeks (months? who can keep track anymore) that some conservative nut stabbed a member of the military to death days before his college graduation (the deceased was black so that's prob why it disappeared so quickly).

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
There's been no movement because the suspect is in jail awaiting trial and almost certainly mentally ill (in the actual psychiatric diagnosis sense, not the "OMG he votes Republican" sense.)

Nosfereefer posted:

More realistically, a variety of systemic and professional factors make it really hard to get a unanimous jury verdict against a police officer. They tend to have clean records, previous experience testifying in court, and are sympathetic defendants in non-D&D circles. There was also a lot of room for a lawyer to create reasonable doubt in this case, since the only recording of the events leading up to the shooting was the police car dash camera.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 16, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boon posted:

Planning for a 9/11 type event is kind of untenable

Gutting the government certainly helps increase the odds of such an attack being successful again if someone tries to pull one off. Especially considering the GOP loving up the government helped allow the first attack to be successful.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's been no movement because the suspect is in jail awaiting trial and almost certainly mentally ill (in the actual psychiatric diagnosis sense, not the "OMG he votes Republican" sense.)

More realistically, a variety of systemic and professional factors make it really hard to get a unanimous jury verdict against a police officer. They tend to have clean records, previous experience testifying in court, and are sympathetic defendants in non-D&D circles. There was also a lot of room for a lawyer to create reasonable doubt in this case, since the only recording of the events leading up to the shooting was the police car dash camera.

Do you have some sort of alert or filter setup so you can find any thread and jump in immediately the second someone is even mildly critical of the police?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Chilichimp posted:

This case is disgusting. Homemaker fascists and closet white nationalists getting onto juries is starting to piss me off.

Yeah. After seeing all these stories of just, what-the-gently caress jury outcomes, if I ever do get called I'm drat well going, no matter how boring it might actually be.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tariniparti/new-trump-financial-disclosures-show-millions-in-increased?utm_term=.ae27yAEov#.djWWxVENz

quote:

New Trump Financial Disclosures Show Millions In Increased Income From Mar-A-Lago

I have a feeling this is only going to increase the likelihood for subpoenaing fiancials from trump properties for X years and embolden the emoluments lawsuits against him

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NoamLevey/status/875766811635191809

What a loving tool.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Well good news in the sense that a liberal gunman won't have murdered a sitting politician.

Also he's still not out of the woods.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

TyroneGoldstein posted:

....:(...Because the vic was black. His family was black. And it involved the police. You see that SBA post? That's the sergeant's union in the NYPD. That's what you're up against.

gently caress. Like, is there any sort of organization I can donate to?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nosfereefer posted:

gently caress. Like, is there any sort of organization I can donate to?

This isn't something money can fix. This requires a deep upheaval of the underlying fabric of the US's racial tensions and fascistic tendencies.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It only takes one for a not guilty right? I skipped crim pro.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

This isn't something money can fix. This requires a deep upheaval of the underlying fabric of the US's racial tensions and fascistic tendencies.

Yeah, I can understand that. But how can anyone who's not a US citizen try to help?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nevvy Z posted:

It only takes one for a not guilty right? I skipped crim pro.

I think generally speaking it just takes one to hang a jury which can lead to a new trial or the trial just being dropped. It doesn't mean not guilty it just means :shrug:

I'm not a lawyer though and have no idea. Jury verdicts are generally supposed to be unanimous but if they can't reach a verdict there just isn't one.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can a lawyer just pitch the case to a jury that whatever their client did shouldn't be illegal, and therefore they should refuse to convict? Can you do that? I've always wondered if drug cases could be argued that way, given the right jury.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dick Trauma posted:

That has to be money laundering.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

empty whippet box posted:

Can a lawyer just pitch the case to a jury that whatever their client did shouldn't be illegal, and therefore they should refuse to convict? Can you do that? I've always wondered if drug cases could be argued that way, given the right jury.

That's jury nullification. That very often happened in the context of "no, it's OK to murder black people. Not Guilty."

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think generally speaking it just takes one to hang a jury which can lead to a new trial or the trial just being dropped. It doesn't mean not guilty it just means :shrug:

I'm not a lawyer though and have no idea. Jury verdicts are generally supposed to be unanimous but if they can't reach a verdict there just isn't one.

I haven't seen in-depth reporting enough yet to say with certainty, but usually if there's a hung jury they report that there was a hung jury, not that the defendant was found not guilty. So I'm assuming at the moment that this means the jury unanimously found him not guilty on all charges. (For what it's worth, I am a lawyer, although not a criminal lawyer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Nosfereefer posted:

Yeah, I can understand that. But how can anyone who's not a US citizen try to help?

Donate to the ACLU or other similar charitable orgs that help fight this poo poo

• Locked thread