Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Not a Step posted:

I would be ok with smoking in restaurants if said restaurants were required to advertise the fact that they have smoking, and put a big giant 'ALL YOUR FOOD WILL TASTE LIKE ASH' banner out front so I could easily avoid them. Also giving the side eye to people who smoke on the street is cool and good. Smoking in public is the equivalent of farting in stranger's faces and I am fine with any regulations that restrict smokers into ever smaller spaces. If you're not treating smoking like an extremely embarrassing and shameful thing you do because you have a crippling addiction you're probably an rear end in a top hat. Public masturbation should be more acceptable than public smoking.

Wait a minute, are you trying to ban farting in public too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

taqueso posted:

Wait a minute, are you trying to ban farting in public too?

Not all farts are bad farts, and you can't choose to not fart, and existing laws cover climbing up on a trash can, taking your pants down and farting directly into someone's face so I think we're good there. Incredibly though wafting lovely cancer smoke at head level outside of a sealed steel box for other people to walk through isn't illegal yet.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Not a Step posted:

I would be ok with smoking in restaurants if said restaurants were required to advertise the fact that they have smoking, and put a big giant 'ALL YOUR FOOD WILL TASTE LIKE ASH' banner out front so I could easily avoid them. Also giving the side eye to people who smoke on the street is cool and good. Smoking in public is the equivalent of farting in stranger's faces and I am fine with any regulations that restrict smokers into ever smaller spaces. If you're not treating smoking like an extremely embarrassing and shameful thing you do because you have a crippling addiction you're probably an rear end in a top hat. Public masturbation should be more acceptable than public smoking.

lol we get it your step dad smokes

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Not a Step posted:

You're a whiny bitch

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Not a Step posted:

gently caress you shithead

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

smoking is fine and I'm only bothered by secondhand smoke if it's inside and it clings to all my clothes and every surface so I smell like that even after I leave

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Not a Step posted:

*puts out cigarette on your forehead*

anyway what I'm saying is restaurants should be able to choose whether they allow smoking

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Smoking isn't banned in restaurants out of consideration of the customer, it is banned because a restaurant is also a workplace and the people that work there don't have a choice about being there and being exposed to the smoke.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the first time they tried to pass the smoking ban in new orleans they put up billboards about how bartenders and musicians and "dancers" and other service workers are forced to work in smoke-filled workplaces

the billboards showed these workers holding guitars or serving drinks or swinging from a pole lookin all sickly

people were all "lol who cares about them" and it didn't pass

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

withak posted:

Smoking isn't banned in restaurants out of consideration of the customer, it is banned because a restaurant is also a workplace and the people that work there don't have a choice about being there and being exposed to the smoke.

I can't wait for a minimum income where people don't have to work in establishments that allow smoking. But you are freely able to trade your health, as covered by universal healthcare, for additional hazard pay.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Baloogan posted:

lol we get it your step dad smokes

:drat:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I can't wait for a minimum income where people don't have to work in establishments that allow smoking. But you are freely able to trade your health, as covered by universal healthcare, for additional hazard pay.

If I'm paying part of your health care then you definitely aren't going to be allowed to spend your workday in a smoke-filled room.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

withak posted:

If I'm paying part of your health care then you definitely aren't going to be allowed to spend your workday in a smoke-filled room.

gently caress you!!!

This is the type of entitlement mentality that undercuts social safety nets.

A key aspect of UHC is that EVERYONE receives it, PERIOD. It should not be a tool of social control.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm the idiot that went from smoking a pack a day to vaping liquid that has enough nicotine in it to kick someone who vapes clouds on their rear end

my lungs feel better and I'm still getting nicotine by the puff :c00l:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Weeping Wound posted:

I'm the idiot that went from smoking a pack a day to vaping liquid that has enough nicotine in it to kick someone who vapes clouds on their rear end

my lungs feel better and I'm still getting nicotine by the puff :c00l:

Nicotine was never the problem with smoking, so shine on you crazy diamond :)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

an actual dog posted:

I'm not defending smoking as a matter of class interest. I'm saying anti-smoking is anti-working class.

There are people who are being told to quit smoking or be thrown out of their home, and that's loving insane to expect of people who also have to work. Handle people who smoke with kindness instead of doing awful things to them because "public health".

do this but for vapers

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Nicotine was never the problem with smoking, so shine on you crazy diamond :)

'course it wasn't, doesn't mean I'd shy away if offered, but day-to-day it is a lot better

batteries vs. lighters are a whole different story though

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/grovernorquist/status/703309700750839810?lang=en

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
It's not polite to doxx, dog!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ban smoking, replace all cigs with vapes.

If you want to just kill yourself, maybe don't, but also just do it quickly and without stupid health complications, by jumping off a bridge or whatever

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
but vapes can explode

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

Ban smoking, replace all cigs with vapes.

If you want to just kill yourself, maybe don't, but also just do it quickly and without stupid health complications, by jumping off a bridge or whatever

Guns and Vaping.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like smoking and I like that smoking is permitted in bars and clubs and concerts here in Berlin and also that everyone smokes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

oliwan posted:

I like smoking and I like that smoking is permitted in bars and clubs and concerts here in Berlin and also that everyone smokes.

In New York it's cool that there are a number of establishments that allow smoking and also a lot that do not.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Smoking in restaurants is bad smoking in bars is good

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Smoking in restaurants is bad smoking in bars is good

smoke weed and tobacco and whatever the hell you want in bars :hai:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's actually really good that smoking is banned in restaurants and if anti-smoking is anti-working class then gently caress the poor, I guess

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Buca di Bepis posted:

gently caress the poor, I guess

The current Zeitgeist.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Smoking ban in restaurants is for the workers there, fucken deal with it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I really wish vaping caused cancer

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Feel bad for all u nicotone-cucks

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

rudatron posted:

Feel bad for all u nicotone-cucks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now that smoking is legal in all restaurants i can only order from seamless in order to support local businesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDGJcEo_OBU

OOOOOOHHHH MAAAAUUHHH GAAWWWDDHH

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Smoking is a terrible societal ill and is mostly used as a stress reliever. It kills millions a year. Anti smoking is not anti working class you fucks. Smoking is like sealing up a gushing would with a bunch of dogshit. It might stop the bleeding for a bit, but you're far worse off in the long run.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i hate the smell of cigarette smoke and it gives me a headache afterwards. some apartment buildings here (in NYC) don't allow for smoking inside of them at all, and i don't support that. their home, their rules

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
vaping is banned same as smoking here in the glorious workers' paradise of california

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

vaping is banned same as smoking here in the glorious workers' paradise of california
yankee stadium doesn't allow vaping in games, much like they don't allow smoking

i remember when charlie sheen left a LA Kings playoff game in 2012 to smoke outside and lost his poo poo when they wouldn't let him back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This is pretty much standard everywhere.