Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sinteres posted:

I think it's fine/reasonable to tell people they should just try in a day or two if the problems with the game today are pissing them off too much to have fun, but getting into a semantics argument about how this is actually not at all a problem because Square Enix doesn't owe anyone a working product until Tuesday is a bit much.

Is SE going to extend the 30 days I paid for by those 2 days I'm waiting for their servers to be stable enough to even just do HW content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

To a degree, I can understand why they'd want to artificially limit instance server load to prevent an all-out crash, but holy poo poo, if their instance servers have such low capacity that the only way to make sure they don't crash is to limit them this much, that's a legitimate problem.

I'm guessing it's because their back-end is stuck in the last decade and they don't feel like spending the time, energy, or money to update it. Blizzard did a lot of work to make WoW's architecture as scaleable as it is, and it's helped them to avoid poo poo like this - or to fix it pretty quick when they run into something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, I wouldn't be giving out about the instance thing if I could just go do other stuff. But that's two DC's out of PvP. I was in a party with another DGKK lad who got DC'd while we were about to queue for 50/60 DR. Plenty of others are getting DC'd mid dungeon and PotD. FATEs are a mess with so many people. So like...yeah, I could go slap a training dummy, but that kinda sucks.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Got kicked. 1000 person queue now. :smith:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Should we have gotten the preorder items (earrings etc.) today or do they show up for actual launch?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Also shut up Mordicius, SE doesn't need you to white knight them. They hosed up and as a result a lot of people are blocked out of 99% of the expansion they expected to be playing today. A lot of those people planned around that expectation, taking off from work or whatever else. It loving sucks.

Don't 👏 take 👏 time 👏 off 👏 work 👏 for 👏 MMO 👏 launches. 👏

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Finally got past the drat instance only for work to call me in to fix things that shouldn't have been broken :mad:

Possible music spoilers: Why is the music theme in Rhalgr's Reach an instrumental version of what appears to be the Garlean National Anthem?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is SE going to extend the 30 days I paid for by those 2 days I'm waiting for their servers to be stable enough to even just do HW content?

I didn't say you shouldn't be mad, just that at some point resigning yourself to your fate is probably better than slamming your head through a wall. I'm not really taking my own advice though.

They might give people a free day, but I wouldn't bet on it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

wont someone think of the corporations?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

you're not my real dad

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be giving out about the instance thing if I could just go do other stuff. But that's two DC's out of PvP. I was in a party with another DGKK lad who got DC'd while we were about to queue for 50/60 DR. Plenty of others are getting DC'd mid dungeon and PotD. FATEs are a mess with so many people. So like...yeah, I could go slap a training dummy, but that kinda sucks.

Same. I was able to idle and run ARR/HW beast tribe dailies alright, but once I started trying instanced stuff (PvP, HW dungeons for my alt's post-3.0 MSQ) I lost connection every second instance, and the SB zones occasionally get massive lag - I assume the fate trains and people waiting next to Raubahn aren't helping matters.

big nipples big life posted:

Should we have gotten the preorder items (earrings etc.) today or do they show up for actual launch?

I think they don't send them out till the 20th?

Mordiceius posted:

I generally agree with that (because there's always the chance something's broken and unfun, and playing 2-3 days later really shouldn't be an issue) but you're being a real idiot about it, congratulations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

KoB posted:

wont someone think of the corporations?

At no point have I taken Square-Enix's side.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Mordiceius posted:

I agree. Take a day off for mental health reasons, or vacation. Do not tell your job it's for video games.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Harrow posted:

red mage stuff

Just wanted to say thank you for this. I had most of it figured out on my own but confirmation that what I'm doing is right is lovely :)

Class is a lot of fun and simple enough for my dumbass to understand. Definitely using it for the SB MSQ.

That is after the servers calm down and I can level the dang thing to 60.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

i regret to inform the thread that mordiceius is right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Definitely never burn a vacation day for the launch (or early access launch) of any game that relies on server connectivity to let you play it. If it's an offline game that you've pre-downloaded or have a physical copy of, go for it. I've definitely done it. But there's always a decent chance anything online is going to completely poo poo the bed on launch day and it sucks to know you blew a day of PTO to do something that you can't do.

This is in no way a defense of SE, who have definitely hosed the chicken here, just saying that the lesson to learn if you took the day off for this is to maybe instead take a day off like a week out from launch.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kortel posted:

I agree. Take a day off for mental health reasons, or vacation. Do not tell your job it's for video games.

lol if your job judges you for what you use your P T O on.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Never play on patch day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

At no point have I taken Square-Enix's side.

Mordiceius posted:

You paid for Stormblood, a game releasing on June 20th.

A preorder bonus is explicitly that, a bonus, something extra beyond what you paid for. It is not a requirement and there is no guarantee.

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Definitely never burn a vacation day for the launch (or early access launch) of any game that relies on server connectivity to let you play it. If it's an offline game that you've pre-downloaded or have a physical copy of, go for it. I've definitely done it. But there's always a decent chance anything online is going to completely poo poo the bed on launch day and it sucks to know you blew a day of PTO to do something that you can't do.

This is in no way a defense of SE, who have definitely hosed the chicken here, just saying that the lesson to learn if you took the day off for this is to maybe instead take a day off like a week out from launch.
You think people would have learned that lesson by now, the first day is always hosed

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hell, take off for day 2 or 3 of an MMO launch, but never burn it on day one. You're just asking to feel like you've wasted your time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Heavensward launch was smooth as butter compared to this shitshow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rainuwastaken posted:

As much as I think strong bird is overreacting, it's not like the servers outside of Stormblood New Stuff are terribly stable. People are getting disconnected from Palace all the time, and the dreaded 90k doesn't discriminate between Raubahn's Wild Ride or Sastasha.

Like, it doesn't bother me personally since I'm still at work, but I think it's at least a little bit fair to be upset with the general state of things.

Yeah but it isn't like anything is going to be resolved in the near future. Just go outside or do something else it isn't worth getting spun up over.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Minrad posted:

you can just rent the infrastructure from amazon at this point

It's not even close to being that simple.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Im confused, how was that me defending the server explosions?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Hell, take off for day 2 or 3 of an MMO launch, but never burn it on day one. You're just asking to feel like you've wasted your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Man stick with your crazy angry corporation dick sucking Mordi. I mean if you're gonna be massively stupid don't backdown like a coward.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

This is in no way a defense of SE, who have definitely hosed the chicken here,

Oh yeah most definitely, it's still on companies to deliver on their products and it's ok to be mad at them when they don't

but when it comes to stuff like this, companies have a pretty bad track record on actually delivering and if you put yourself out there expecting them to get it right then shame on you honestly, there's a lot of ways you could have known better

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Heavensward launch was smooth as butter compared to this shitshow.

That's the biggest irony in all this, IMO. They know how to do this right. Then someone checked and 7 people per hour per server are getting through the instance. Something's terribly wrong there.

Mordiceius posted:

Im confused, how was that me defending the server explosions?

You're defending SE with that, hth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd honestly rather get booted from the server every 15 minutes if it meant I could get past this single stupid plot battle.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Why is everyone yelling at each other and not trying to get awesome inferno katanas from Ifrit Extreme?

Givin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 16, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Truga posted:

That's the biggest irony in all this, IMO. They know how to do this right. Then someone checked and 7 people per hour per server are getting through the instance. Something's terribly wrong there.

You're defending SE with that, hth.

Yeah this is exactly why I took today off, people said HW was mostly fine. Oh well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd honestly rather get booted from the server every 15 minutes if it meant I could get past this single stupid plot battle.

Yeah on top of the fact that they've seemed to forget how to do a launch since HW the blocked instance gates 99% of the expansion. Haven't even seen any of Othard nor have I gotten to actually talk with any of the beast tribes or see new dungeons/trials.

Hell, the main villain hasn't even shown up yet.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I know someone in here did the first dungeon earlier. Let's live vicariously through him.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

ARR had massive issues with duties too, hinting at how this might not be the smartest idea if you expect a lot more players - of course, ARR was much smaller and didn't affect everyone equally. Some people got their characters stuck in error 3102/90000 hell and couldn't progress the MSQ or any class past level 10 or 15 because of the instanced quests, but most players only got booted from duties occasionally and could continue playing in the pre-launch period. I wasn't there for the HW launch but I was counting on them having learned something :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is all due to a massive influx of new subscriptions thanks to Mrs. Freshley.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

If you take days off work for an MMO expansion, you are dumb.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
"The first day is always hosed" is demonstrably untrue for other companies. I don't find what's going on here to be that big a deal, but anyone saying this is to be expected doesn't play a lot of MMO's. Blizzard hasn't had a launch anywhere near this bad since burning crusade ten years ago, and SE themselves did better than this two years ago. This is, these days, an uncommon occurrence for an MMO launch from a major publisher.

It'd sure be less of a bummer if PotD didn't kick me every other floor. I'm drat tempted to abandon my black robes for some red ones after toying around with that class for an hour or so.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I took Monday off work but its this is still messed up Ill just play a bunch of PUBG or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Granstein posted:

"The first day is always hosed" is demonstrably untrue for other companies. I don't find what's going on here to be that big a deal, but anyone saying this is to be expected doesn't play a lot of MMO's. Blizzard hasn't had a launch anywhere near this bad since burning crusade ten years ago, and SE themselves did better than this two years ago. This is, these days, an uncommon occurrence for an MMO launch from a major publisher.

It'd sure be less of a bummer if PotD didn't kick me every other floor. I'm drat tempted to abandon my black robes for some red ones after toying around with that class for an hour or so.

Uh, were you not around for WoD's launch? It's practically a 1:1 comparison of this.