Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/And_Porter/status/875838933711466496

If this is somehow true just wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It may be lakers 18 which is crazy valuable

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

It may be lakers 18 which is crazy valuable

Magic will trade for PG so the Lakers can finish with the 8th worst pick

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trade with what ?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

Trade with what ?

I dunno. Neither Magic or Bird seem to be good at their jobs

An early look at 2018 has the top picks being Doncic and a slew of bigs. I'd rather have Fultz now than gamble next year

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DeimosRising posted:

If I was wrong and Butler+Hayward is happening, I look forward to at least having been right when they win 60 games and knock out the Cavs and my wife never shuts the gently caress up about the goddamn Celtics

My wife is a Celtics fan too. :smith:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

An early look at 2018 has the top picks being Doncic and a slew of bigs. I'd rather have Fultz now than gamble next year

Bird isn't in charge anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/crossingbroad/status/875837906862166016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

:dance:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is George or Butler available for less and who would you rather have hypothetically, with the Celtics roster as is and the roster + Hayward respectively?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I suspect that Ainge has tested the market and learned that no one wants to give him anything valuable for Thomas, Smart, Bradley, Jackson, Rozier or anyone else other than his innumerable future draft picks. He doesn't see how adding a point guard, even a great prospect like Fultz, is going to get him closer to the promised land. What he really needs is a superstar or two and an athletic defensive big.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/875848950988722177

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DeimosRising posted:

Is George or Butler available for less and who would you rather have hypothetically, with the Celtics roster as is and the roster + Hayward respectively?

Butler by a mile. Longer contract in a team friendly deal.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Wait, why? What else is Boston getting?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sixers fixin to be a superteam.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I'd rather have Butler because he is a better ball handler, and would allow IT to play off ball like Curry does.

I could see a Celtics small line up of IT and Butler at guard, Hayward and Jaylen Brown at forward and Horford at center. And they would still have several future top picks to get an athletic big man.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

zoux posted:

Sixers fixin to be a superteam.

three years from now look out

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Celtics are now somehow getting Jimmy Butler and Blake Griffin in my mindcanon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They can if they don't sign a fa I think.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Butler by a mile. Longer contract in a team friendly deal.

By 1 year.

PG would give them someone who can play the 3 or the 4, which I think the Celtics would need more with Hayward.

Either would be a pretty amazing team though.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm hitching myself to the Sixers wagon right now after years of deliberation

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That says to me that he wants to keep the current core intact, add Hayward, and if Lebron doesn't retire then they have their plan B

But it's the time of smokescreens and false number 1 pick LAST MINUTE PROSPECT FLIP rumooooOOOOooOOuuuURs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This seems more than smokescreen

Both woj and Lowe reporting it's all but done pending an interview and medicals

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

By the way, if anyone still is confused about how the Warriors can possibly keep their core together for the next few years, here is an article that lays it all out well. If you aren't a salary cap nerd, don't bother reading it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/16/kawakami-lets-plot-out-how-the-warriors-are-set-to-re-sign-durant-curry-iguodala-and-others/

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

So wait what's this deal likely gonna be

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looks like 2017 3 , 2018 lakers for sure

Maybe 2018 sixers as well..

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

predicto posted:

By the way, if anyone still is confused about how the Warriors can possibly keep their core together for the next few years, here is an article that lays it all out well. If you aren't a salary cap nerd, don't bother reading it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/16/kawakami-lets-plot-out-how-the-warriors-are-set-to-re-sign-durant-curry-iguodala-and-others/

"Everyone will take a discount except curry"

Hey maybe so but good luck with that

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Next year's draft is very frontcourt heavy, maybe Ainge wanted a shot at a young big. I only know the mock drafts and a couple of shoe games though. And 2019, who loving knows

Dropping from 1 to 3 is a big risk this year, I would expect some compensation

Perhaps the sixers thought the risk of Fultz/Jackson going 1 and 2 and them being left with having two choose from two wonky shot pgs or Jayson Potatum, I don't think they'd take Isaac because they have so many bigs already, but who knows.

The Colangelo era seems to be about keeping the sixers in their place and making sure they stockpile too much elite talent

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 17, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Next year's draft is very frontcourt heavy, maybe Ainge wanted a shot at a young big. I only know the mock drafts and a couple of shoe games though. And 2019, who loving knows

Could easily have two top 5s next year too with this deal. They will likely get whichever big man they like best.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

DeimosRising posted:

https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-pitfall-warriors-burgeoning-dynasty-140717749.html

Marks' analysis doesn't include this inside info about Iguodala's deal, so he's overestimating the luxury tax implications of the next few years by a few million. But it lays things out in much clearer terms with numbers instead of a bunch of extraneous garbage text.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only important thing about the Warriors cap situation is that Durant will take about 3 million less which will give the option to keep both Iggy and Livingston. In all likely hood, Livingston will get a big deal somewhere else while Iggy will get 20+ million annually and McCaw will take up the bench minutes.

If the tax becomes too much, they have no bad contracts outside of Iggy and trade either Draymond or Klay for cheaper pieces.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-pitfall-warriors-burgeoning-dynasty-140717749.html

Marks' analysis doesn't include this inside info about Iguodala's deal, so he's overestimating the luxury tax implications of the next few years by a few million. But it lays things out in much clearer terms with numbers instead of a bunch of extraneous garbage text.

lol Ian Clark isn't getting 4 years 35 million from the Warriors. I doubt they re-sign West, Pachulia, or McGee at any of those prices either. Cut 10 million off of Marks' $150 mill projection and the Warriors luxury tax bill goes down by nearly $40 million dollars.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Warriors opening their own stadium .

I don't think the lux tax is an issue. The team is probably worth 3 billion.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I would guess that they'll backload contracts as much as possible, encourage the guys to take less for the next 2 years in hopes of having more championships than the Heat. And once that happens then the pressure will be intense to go for 6. Barring catastrophic injury, the emergence of Giannis as the best player in NBA history etc

Also they're going to have to deal with a Spurs team custom tailored to beat them specifically. Next year they'll be smarter and wear tape and compression everything to prevent injuries

euphronius posted:

Warriors opening their own stadium .

I don't think the lux tax is an issue. The team is probably worth 3 billion.
The owners have lots of funny money, but the exponential luxury tax penalties that pay out to 2/3 of the league are designed to be the exact sort of thing that irritates a rich man

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 17, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you want to read an actual good analysis of the Warriors cap situation after re-signing Durant, it's this: https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/14/golden-state-warriors-offseason-preview-stephen-curry-kevin-durant

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

No, just Iggy. And Durant for one year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

If you want to read an actual good analysis of the Warriors cap situation after re-signing Durant, it's this: https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/14/golden-state-warriors-offseason-preview-stephen-curry-kevin-durant

Leroux know his poo poo

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Dejan Bimble posted:

I would guess that they'll backload contracts as much as possible, encourage the guys to take less for the next 2 years in hopes of having more championships than the Heat. And once that happens then the pressure will be intense to go for 6. Barring catastrophic injury, the emergence of Giannis as the best player in NBA history etc

Also they're going to have to deal with a Spurs team custom tailored to beat them specifically. Next year they'll be smarter and wear tape and compression everything to prevent injuries

The owners have lots of funny money, but the exponential luxury tax penalties that pay out to 2/3 of the league are designed to be the exact sort of thing that irritates a rich man

Klay's contract is up after 2019, and Green's after 2020 and you can expect them to make >$30 mill a year deals then, so I actually think it's more likely that they'd want Iguodala and Livingston's deals to be descending in value.

and yeah leroux knows his poo poo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

That article is weird. No way are the Warriors keeping Ian Clark at that amount. I mean, the writer is a former Nets front office guy, and the Nets would do it, but the Warriors won't. Iggy might get that much, but if he does, they will let Livingston go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

predicto posted:

No, just Iggy. And Durant for one year.

He admits Livingston will be offered more than they can afford but waffles and assumes a can opener of a starting center who will play for the minimum and also a backup and also the rest of the roster. He just doesn't mention them and sticks to the uncontroversial notion than Iguodala can be resigned. Barring "everyone takes a discount" next year they have the big 4, Iggy OR Livingston (they'll choose Iggy), a tax payer exception center, and the remainder of the roster will be their current scrub backups and minimum deal junk (for what this really looks like, see Cleveland's bench and how they rolled over and died in the finals). That's still the finals favorite, but the cap is likely to gently decline or be static going forward so their tax will grow yearly and space will be tighter. Future year exceptions will effectively cost double and resigning Klay will be unlikely. If Iguodala really does want length, 2020 will be difficult. Three max guys will be 105 mil+ and the cap may not be any higher.

• Locked thread