Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played them in the order of
BB, DS2, DS1, Demons and finally DS3

Loved them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HotBobaloo posted:

Ok bloodborne it is then. Is there a decent "babies first build"?
Build matters a lot less in Bloodborne than the other games, in general. I wouldn't worry about it so much, just pick a weapon you like

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bombadilillo posted:

I find it super hard to go backwards in the series. So go in release order? Demons is pretty odd though. So DS1

playing demons would prepare him for a lot of bloodborne design choices at least

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I find it really hard to go back to DS1. I might have never liked it all that much to begin with. Demon's Soul's is a nice experiment of a game, but Bloodborne remains king. Although I've yet to play Dark Souls 3, drat price tags.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HotBobaloo posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on which Souls game should be my first? with dark souls 3 on sale I was thinking about picking it up but I already own blood-borne without the DLC and haven't started it yet. I guess I'm basically just wondering if I should pick up Dark Souls 3 and Play that before blood-borne.

I recommend starting with 3 or Bloodborne and working your way backwards if you end up enjoying them. They are the 2 most polished, nicest looking games in the series with the best combat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

30 health in bloodborne makes it pretty easy. almost nothing will ohko you at that point.

race up that. upgrading your weapon (btw saw clever is a weapon you can get right at the start and use the whole game because its that good) will keep you doing enough damage while you build up the HP and then you can focus on damage stats

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Awesome! posted:

playing demons would prepare him for a lot of bloodborne design choices at least

It just fell really janky to me to go back to ds1 and demons is all. Gameplay wise.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HotBobaloo posted:

Ok bloodborne it is then. Is there a decent "babies first build"?

here's some easy beginner weapons. all of them can be used with a pure strength build or with a strength/dex hybrid, allowing you some flexibility. a simple build you can work towards with any is 25 in vitality, endurance, strength, and dexterity (ignore the other stats). once you hit those, you can start working towards 50, which is the soft cap for stat gains before the hard cap at 99. stat gains between 51-99 are very small and not worth the investment unless you're already at 50 in everything (which you'll never do unless you do ng++++ or something). invest early in vitality and endurance because your damage won't start ramping up off of your stats until you get your weapons upgraded a bit

the hunter's axe: this is one of the starting weapon choices. when you extend it into the halberd form, it gets a really strong spin attack by holding r2. this will hit everything near you twice and has a knockdown effect on the second hit that'll effect anything that isn't massively bigger than you (including some bosses). every normal enemy in the first area can be knocked down like this, making it the best (and easiest) crowd control option around. a lot of people have trouble with the group encounters in the early game and the hunter's axe makes short work of them. also has a vertical attack, which is handy a few times

the saw cleaver: another starter weapon, the saw cleaver is the best dps weapon in the whole game and can make short work of bosses once you get a handle of the game's mechanics. it's really fast in the short form and the transformation attack does a lot of damage and has good reach. the extended form is a decent crowd control option

ludwig's holy blade: this one is a ways into the game compared to the other two but is very easy to get a handle of. it does a lot of damage, has great reach, and the charge attack is devastating. it also has a vertical attack like the hunter's axe

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HotBobaloo posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on which Souls game should be my first? with dark souls 3 on sale I was thinking about picking it up but I already own blood-borne without the DLC and haven't started it yet. I guess I'm basically just wondering if I should pick up Dark Souls 3 and Play that before blood-borne.

All five games are loving awesome and if you like one of them the others will be worth playing too. If I had to rank them personally it'd go:

Bloodborne
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls III
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II

But if you have the general gist of how this type of game works in mind, here's some of the differences that are have/haven't been sticking points for some folks:

Demon's Souls- Combat is fast and can be unforgiving if you're not prepared, magical stuff is very weak at first but becomes extremely powerful later on if you stick with it. Awesomely strong dark fantasy atmosphere and has a few moments and areas that are among the coolest FromSoftware has ever made.

Dark Souls- Combat is waaaay slower, besides magical stuff you can use pyromancy too wherein you power it up with souls and don't have to worry as much about balancing certain stats out as you level up to make it good. Instead of going to separate areas the whole world is one cohesive whole and this is done very very effectively. An excellent game.

Dark Souls II- Has the best combat of the three DS games and lets you do cool stuff like use stances with different weapons in each hand. It starts off VERY strong but has the least interesting world in that it's the most typical western fantasy sort of stuff. With just a few exceptions the cosmic horror kind of trappings of the last two games and King's Field: The Ancient City taking a back seat to more typical fantasy kind of stuff with various animal-people enemies. The world also isn't quite as cohesive as Dark Souls. Some people will tell you that this is the best of the five games while other will say it's the worst by a huge margin and a disgracefully bad game. It's very polarizing but honestly it's still really good and I wouldn't skip it.

Bloodborne- If I wanted to distance myself as much as possible, this is the best game of the five. It's loving awesome. Probably the most Catholic game ever made, and has a truly hosed up cosmic horror story that only briefly manifests itself as a werewolf game at the beginning. Like I can't believe SCEA delivered two different werewolf hunting blood cult steampunk games within a month of each other on the PS4 and one of the is as awesome as Bloodborne is and the other one is The Order: 1886. This game is just great and is an absolute must-own on the PS4. Keeping things in character, the combat is super ruthless, and encourages fighting like a cornered animal since you regain life for every bit of damage you inflict in the second or so after you get hit by an enemy. Some fantastic boss fights too, some are on the easy side but they're all awesome. Something unique about this one compared to this one is that there's a much smaller variety of weapons, but basically every single one is awesome and unique/has some unique moves. Instead of using a weapon or a weapon+shield the arsenal consists of "trick" weapons that let the group the player's faction conduct their business and travel around freely with them (not that that matters since the game starts off in a world that's already going to poo poo :D ) and guns which are used to stun and parry enemy attacks. It's a small detail but I like that, like there's a cane that expands into a chain whip, a butcher's bone cutter that clicks open into a badass baseball bat of butchery, a sledge hammer that you has a sword concealed in it, some of the weapons are truly two totally different weapons depending on which setting they're in and it's just awesome and makes up for there not really being any magic along the lines of the rest of the series.

Dark Souls III- This game...is great too! But it's Dark Souls III and not "Bloodborne II" so some people felt a little let down by it. But this one really goes all out in some ways with delivering the hugeness and, uh, ancient-ness of its world. They also did an impressive job creating a cohesive world that's made up of fragments of different worlds (it will make sense when you play the games) converging with each other, and it's really impressive that much of the game still feels like one piece while providing a nice variety of locales to explore and fight in. You also visit a few familiar places from Dark Souls I here so it feels a bit more connected. This game gets off to a really, really impressively bleak start, and has some really cool enemies in it. The Dark Souls games always took some influence from the manga Berserk, but III goes straight into heavy metal album cover territory with tons of badass skeletal enemies and weird dragon kind of things. Unfortunately magic is a bit weaker than in the other DS games, but there's a lot of cool weapons to find/create that kind of makes up for it for me.

My conclusion is to play all of them.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 16, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I actually did not care for the saw cleaver as my noob weapon at the time and was sort of ho hum until I got the Kirkhammer which I fell in love with and remade the game for me and was my baby up until I got Ludwigs Holy Blade which was almost a perfect upgrade from the Kirk.

Granted it's not a starting weapon but available from the easiest boss at the start of the game

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
DS1 level design really should not be missed. One shortcut in particular is one of my favorite gaming moments ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd always recommend the newest souls games because it kind of showcases the most polished experiences the series has to offer and once you get hooked you can work your way backwards and see how it's evolved.

Like, I think something like Demons/Dark 1 would be best to go back to in 2017 after you already live the series instead of having it as your introduction. Plus it would probably be the funnest ways to experience all of the call backs in Dark Souls 3.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the best bloodborne weapon is the whirligig saw

it is a giant mechanical pizza cutter on a stick

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quote is not edit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nachos posted:

DS1 level design really should not be missed. One shortcut in particular is one of my favorite gaming moments ever.

Which one

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If it's from Upper Undead Burg into Lower Undead Burg, then which of the four?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

it's fun and good but also a dlc weapon

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

in my experience hanging out with several friends who had never played a from game before the hunters axe isnt really the noob weapon its made out to be. its outstanding if you know what you're doing but noobs typically do not in fact know what they are doing and tend to get frustrated. rolling around with a two handed weapon is something people picked up a lot from demon/dark souls and don't think about much.

i think the saw cleaver is by far the best choice as a starter in bloodborne since it has the innate beast damage and relatively simple transform moves and combos, plus its not as scary to rally with.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's fun and good but also a dlc weapon

did no one tell him to buy the dlc yet?

buy the dlc

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I always liked the threaded cane myself but i am not good at these games

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Dark Souls 2 has the worst combat. The animations are really clunky and moves don't flow together like in the other games. Also turntable bullshit.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll start with bloodborne and I'll pick up the DLC when it goes on sale unless I should have it installed before I start? I'm assuming no.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I think you should be able to have the DLC installed afterward and access it

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

HotBobaloo posted:

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll start with bloodborne and I'll pick up the DLC when it goes on sale unless I should have it installed before I start? I'm assuming no.

no need, but you might want to get it before you beat the final boss.

bloodborne was my first souls game and i consider it the best game on the system. the saw cleaver was my trusty companion for my first run.

Bloodbornes world may not be as interconnected as DS1 but i think that central yharnam is one of the best first levels in gaming history. it's an amazingly well designed, challenging, tone-setting, atmospheric, learn by doing tutorial level.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can install the dlc anytime you want. All of the dlc compatability stuff was in the patch that came out at the same time.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 17, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know this is posting about posting, but I kinda love that when the PS4 thread has criticisms for a game, it's normally a long list of things and a discussion, while the Switch thread just repeats "it's bad" ad nauseum. It's interesting and I have no idea what causes one thread to go good or bad.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Elevator to firelink. I really loved the ladder into lower undead burg too.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Awesome! posted:

Actually the Beast Cutter is the best

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress this bullshit dart challenge.

I guess I'm supposed to use the item box to donate Majima's good darts to Kiryu?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snak posted:

You can install the dlc anytime you want. All of the dlc compatability stuff was in the patch that came out at the same time.

The difficulty in the DLC ramps right the hell up if you go into it in NG+ rather than a first playthrough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot how ridiculous the beginning of dying light it. Doesn't help I started on hard but the amount of health enemies have is completely absurd.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Knightmare posted:

Does the "spend $100 to get $15" work with PS+ renewals? Can I buy two renewals at 49.99 plus a dollar thing to get it? It looked like it came out of the wallet but you also can't put 2 twelve month things in the cart.

Yes renewals count towards the $100.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

I forgot how ridiculous the beginning of dying light it. Doesn't help I started on hard but the amount of health enemies have is completely absurd.

Yeah you've no chance in a straight up fight until later even on normal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh randomly looked at my PSN wishlist to find The Witcher season pass half off, which I've been waiting on. Heads up to anybody else.

And PSN now decides my Paypal/CC are good again, after having to buy codes on Amazon all during that sale/$100 event? Weird.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am gonna go to Japan, find the person who made darts in Yakuza 0, and put a dart in their loving skull.

I've spent like 15 loving hours on this thing and it's bullshit. I finally got the best darts in the game, and they make almost no difference. This guy is a hustling rear end in a top hat. And you can't even retry immediately because you're still drunk.

Such a loving waste of time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

crazy idea: stop playing darts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just repeat to yourself it's just a game. I should really just relax.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm jusy mad and frustrated for a lot of other reasons.

I would never actually wish physical violence on someone over a videogame.

I think this is the first time I've played Yakuza 0 sober ever. I usually don't mix an match that sort of thing. I have drinking activities and sober activities. It's very hard to pick up an unfinished drinking activity when I'm sober, and I'm committed to being sober until I graduate and get a job.

I still haven't gotten my tax refund, I just got my first rejection letter today, and I'm hungry all the time.

I soend my nights drifting in and out of consciousness freaking out about my job history, because it's different in the dream world. In the dream world, I had to go back to fast food and I got a job at a place called Lucky*s. It doesn't exist, but I worked there briefly. It's across the street from a gas station that also doesn't exist, but it's where I buy booze when I dream that I'm not able to control my drinking. I often dream that walk oit of my job and go start drinking. Or that I start drinking on the way to work.

Then I wake up and none of that has happened. Again. Probably my least favorite recurring dream continuity, because its similarities to reality make it the most confusing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got mad enough to throw my controller for the first time in years last weekend trying to do Gwyn shield and parry-less.