Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

An excerpt from Gary Gygax's FBI file that somone FOIA'd.
The caps and block outs makes GYGAX look like the name of a corporation with a basement full of psychics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What was going on in Fresno?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The only thing I can think of in Fresno that might draw FBI interest would be Scientology.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was going on in Fresno?

GYGAX once had a ill-fated adventure on the West Coast involving D&D and production rights in Hollywood.

Also, how come I am not surprised that GYGAX was a card-carrying Libertarian?

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you live on a compound in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest and you already own an arsenal of guns, an ideology that would turn the world into armed feudal camps seems like a logical next step.

What a different time it was.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Was this related to the Steve Jackson games fiasco?
https://mobile.twitter.com/cjciaramella/status/875366992458461184
https://mobile.twitter.com/cjciaramella/status/875359656075546626

Serf
May 5, 2011

holy poo poo

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

No loving way.

How the hell does Gygax fit in to the unabomber? Did he visit Berkeley often or something?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 15, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Helical Nightmares posted:

No loving way.

How the hell does Gygax fit in to the unabomber? Did he visit Berkeley often or something?
There's another eight pages of FBI files on TSR.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3866268-TSR-Pt-4.html

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Helical Nightmares posted:

No loving way.

Presumably, the unabomber was a war gamer. Gygax did a lot of stuff in the war gaming community in the early era. I mean, he started gencon.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How is RuneQuest as a system? Heard 2e was pretty good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SunAndSpring posted:

It's Chaosium BRP in its purest form. Six attributes, a couple of derived values, d100 skill system, no classes or levels, combat that can hurt, decent magic system, and oh boy will you have fun digging into Glorantha.

I'm /still/ annoyed no one else in my grade school favored it over D&D.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't gently caress with (war) Gamers.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I have a partial F&F that managed to cover a fair amount of the base system for 2E. The 2E core (which is like 160 pages, max) was re-released about 2 years ago via Kickstarter and is still available for sale, but its main issue is that it only has two cults detailed in there (Orlanth, Kyger Litor) and rune magic is pretty important for high-level characters. There's no real Sorcery in 2E (though apparently there were unpublished draft rules), and Shamanism is extremely basic in its effects despite being frustratingly close to interesting, so cults are the main way to get better magic. If you do buy it, the Cults of Prax PDF is a must-buy.

Runequest is also pretty... realistic and very lethal compared to some of the other stuff in Glorantha fluff, so just be advised that you're playing King of Dragon Pass rather than Prince of Sartar.

There's also going to be a wholly new edition soon (called "Runequest", since it could either be called 4E or 7E depending on how you count it) that is big enough that it splits the core into three books, and is entirely focused around Glorantha and has elements taken from Pendragon (virtue runes, generational campaign modes, etc.)

fakeedit: oh poo poo, quick start for the new edition comes out July 1st

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spiderfist Island posted:

There's also going to be a wholly new edition soon (called "Runequest", since it could either be called 4E or 7E depending on how you count it) that is big enough that it splits the core into three books, and is entirely focused around Glorantha and has elements taken from Pendragon (virtue runes, generational campaign modes, etc.)

fakeedit: oh poo poo, quick start for the new edition comes out July 1st

Actually, the quickstart is coming out this saturday for Free RPG day

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Haystack posted:

Oh poo poo, even better!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
New blogpost is up, for The Next Project.

Continuing the series on monster math, this time with Standard and Elite monsters. It's a bit of a dry read, but we're slowly filling up the DM's toolbox. :)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks man!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Haystack posted:

Oh poo poo, nice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How is everyone at Origins liking my fair city?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a great system, probably the best of the early efforts at "D&D, but better" and it still holds up. The catch is there are a dozen or so versions of it around so there's no one answer.

Here they are:

RQ 1E (1978): D&D rebuilt from the ground up by some SCA dorks and set in the world of Glorantha. No classes or levels, percentage skill system, hit locations, armor absorbs damage, anyone can learn magic spells, critical hits & fumbles.

RQ 2E (1980): The printing of 1E sold out so they printed up another batch, with errata and additional material in the appendices. This was the big hit that everyone remembers from the early 1980s.

Other BRP games: RQ was so successful that the generic core of it (called Basic RolePlaying or BRP) was spun off to be used in other games, including Elric/Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu, Superworld, Pendragon, ElfQuest, Ringworld, and a GURPS-like big fat generic rulebook (called the Gold Book after its cover)

RQ 3E: (1983): Big wargaming company Avalon Hill wanted to get into the then-booming RPG market, Chaosium had seen RQ sales plateau and figured it needed greater marketing and distribution resources, so a deal was struck and AH produced RQ3E. The core system was made more complicated (a third magic system was added, combat rules bloated to the point where you ran down your pool of fatigue points every time you swung your sword or dodged a blow, etc) and the setting was made into a generic fantasy earth instead of Glorantha. Alas, the early 80s RPG boom had peaked, and the whole thing ended up being a disaster for Chaosium.

RQ 4E (1990-ish): Didn't exist. There were a number of efforts to re-launch RQ in the early 1990s with things like RuneQuest: Slayers and RuneQuest: Adventures In Glorantha, but they all ran aground for various reasons and only exist as copies of playtest drafts.

MRQ 1E (2006): Mongoose got the license and produced a version of the game that with typical Mongoose layout, playtesting, and attention to detail. A muddled mess of a system (basically 3E plus house tweaks) unnecessarily spread across a bunch of books, and set back in Glorantha but an earlier era.

SRD variants: One thing Mongoose did with RQ was release the guts of it as a D20-style SRD, so now everyone could write and modify and publish their own RQ material, which led to multiple published variants of RQ (like OpenQuest).

MRQ 2E (2009): Second edition of Mongoose, cleaner/tighter/somewhat improved, but mostly an excuse to re-release and resell all the material again.

Legend (2011): Mongoose lost the RQ license and re-released the game and supplements (stripped of Glorantha material) as the Legend RPG

RQ 6E* (2011): The license was picked up by a company of fan writers (who had done most of the work on the MRQ editions) called The Design Mechanism, which released their own version of RQ. Generic fantasy setting, rules are actually playtested and edited, rates a bit high on complexity (lots of combat maneuvers). Supported with an excellent line of historic and fantasy supplements.

Mythras (2015): In 2013 Chaosium changed management and the new team wanted to bring RQ back in home, so The Design Mechanism re-released their version of RQ under a new name, Mythras.

RQ Classic (2016): NewChaosium ran a crowdfunding campaign for a reprint of the old 2E rules, and it was a big hit, and the result was a slightly cleaned up and reformatted version of 2E, which (again) still holds up. Compatible will old 1980s RQ/Glorantha supplements (some of the finest RPG supplements ever published) which were also reprinted.

RQ Glorantha (2017?): NewChaosium is taking the bones of the Classic/2E rules and building on top of them (adding some narrative elements, etc.) to make an new edition, which will be heavily Glorantha-focused. Not much is known about it, but there will be a quickstart preview available for Free RPG Day, whcih is...tomorrow!

Note that this list doesn't include all of the other efforts to do Glorantha as an RPG, such as the narrative line (Hero Wars, HeroQuest 1E/2E/Glorantha) or the D20-ish line (the upcoming 13th Age: Glorantha) or fan projects (like Pendragon Pass).

So when you ask "is RuneQuest any good?" there are at least a dozen possible distinct versions of the game you could be asking about. I'm a big fan of the system (as you could probably tell) and it's worth investigating - there's a reason it's managed to hang on through so many editions and publisher changes.

if you're still interested, I'd recommend:
- Going and getting the free quick start preview tomorrow (hopefully, Chaosium will put it up for free download on their website)
- If you want a taste of the system: check out the free SRD document
- If you want the simple version of the rules: check out the RQ Classic reprint corebook and line
- If you want the complicated version of the rules: check out the Mythras edition of the game
- If you can wait a little while: check out the new edition that should be out by the end of the year

* Corrected; thanks remusclaw

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 16, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
RuneQuest is a system I want to like, but BRP strikes me as janky and just reacting to AD&D in a number of ways. Having a SIZ attribute and the way it calculates some derived attributes just stuck in my craw to a probably unreasonable degree. What's the best version of BRP/RuneQuest as a ruleset?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

RuneQuest is a system I want to like, but BRP strikes me as janky and just reacting to AD&D in a number of ways. Having a SIZ attribute and the way it calculates some derived attributes just stuck in my craw to a probably unreasonable degree. What's the best version of BRP/RuneQuest as a ruleset?
Depends what you want.

Free taste: Tomorrow's quickstart, the SRD PDF I linked
Simple version: Classic reprint
Detailed version: Mythas edition
Modernized: The version coming later this year (maybe)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Not that it matters much but The Design Mechanism game that became Mythras was referred to as Runequest 6.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SJGames/status/875754491018194944

CSI: ARKHAM hat owns

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A game where you figure out how a guy was killed by trained hyenas and plant monsters and poo poo would probably be fun.

I once had an idea for an old-school dungeoncrawl game where the dungeon was Arkham City, but it struck me that it was maybe too close to that post about "What if the dungeon was an inner-city ghetto?" post that got some RPG writer (Castles&Crusades guy?) banned from RPGnet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only Ogre I care about is Yujiro Hanma, the strongest creature on Earth

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
There's also 13th Age Glorantha coming out at some point if you're into the setting but want to give BRP a skip.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

There's also 13th Age Glorantha coming out at some point if you're into the setting but want to give BRP a skip.

In theory. 13A Glorantha funded in October 2014 and was supposed to ship July 2015. They've been putting out updates slightly less than monthly, lately, so there's still hope.

There's also HeroQuest Glorantha (2015), which is HeroQuest 2d ed. with Glorantha-specific customizations. I don't think you can really put it into the Runequest family, mechanically speaking, since it's very stripped down and narratively focused. Either way, it's out there. There are a few setting books for it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

A game where you figure out how a guy was killed by trained hyenas and plant monsters and poo poo would probably be fun.
Not quite what you're describing but check out Mutant City Blues.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've been reading Fragged Empire and I've come to an odd thought: all of the genetically engineered races never had to evolve or live in a society where there was never technology.

Sure there was the 100 Years of Darkness but that's nothing compared to a few million years of technological Evolution and biological evolution. I mean the setting doesn't really consider this so things get little weird but it's the strange situation where they never have to do all the intermediate steps.

Sure they have different varying Tech levels and they do have some lower Tech but it is weird to think that they have spaceships but never planes. They have digital technology but never any of the analog things that we built up to it. They have Advanced Telecommunications but not everything that came before.

It's not really explored like I said but it's weird to think how much that can screw with an entire species when the Masters go away. Like do they even have instincts to survive by Flint knapping tools and hunting their own prey?

It would be an interesting thing to bring up if they've ever thought about it. You know because why would they necessarily genetically engineer that into a species that would never need to do it?

You think a lot of them would just respond to the Hundred Years of Darkness by going " how do you make tool without Hypertech?"

And, even further, do they even know what an axe is? A hammer? A tent? Like, those wouldn't even have existed in their societies as jumping off points. Sure, maybe a vibro-axe exists, but do they know they can make one with a stick and two rocks?

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 17, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's definitely an interesting thing to consider, it reads like the corp were able to find enough tech to bootstrap themselves into space flight, so clearly it can't have been too bad?

Reminds me, hey Evil Mastermind can I use your Fatal and Friends review of Fragged Empire to pad out a thread? Finally getting to play it and wanna have goons to bounce ideas off.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

some loving LIAR posted:

In theory. 13A Glorantha funded in October 2014 and was supposed to ship July 2015. They've been putting out updates slightly less than monthly, lately, so there's still hope.

There's also HeroQuest Glorantha (2015), which is HeroQuest 2d ed. with Glorantha-specific customizations. I don't think you can really put it into the Runequest family, mechanically speaking, since it's very stripped down and narratively focused. Either way, it's out there. There are a few setting books for it.

I'm pretty sure Chaosium stepped in too and is pushing them to release it since it's taking forever. I'm hoping it comes out soon because the art is looking awesome.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

I've been reading Fragged Empire and I've come to an odd thought: all of the genetically engineered races never had to evolve or live in a society where there was never technology.

Sure there was the 100 Years of Darkness but that's nothing compared to a few million years of technological Evolution and biological evolution. I mean the setting doesn't really consider this so things get little weird but it's the strange situation where they never have to do all the intermediate steps.

Sure they have different varying Tech levels and they do have some lower Tech but it is weird to think that they have spaceships but never planes. They have digital technology but never any of the analog things that we built up to it. They have Advanced Telecommunications but not everything that came before.

It's not really explored like I said but it's weird to think how much that can screw with an entire species when the Masters go away. Like do they even have instincts to survive by Flint knapping tools and hunting their own prey?

It would be an interesting thing to bring up if they've ever thought about it. You know because why would they necessarily genetically engineer that into a species that would never need to do it?

You think a lot of them would just respond to the Hundred Years of Darkness by going " how do you make tool without Hypertech?"

And, even further, do they even know what an axe is? A hammer? A tent? Like, those wouldn't even have existed in their societies as jumping off points. Sure, maybe a vibro-axe exists, but do they know they can make one with a stick and two rocks?
The book does get into this later; when humanity died out, we left behind all our super-advanced technology. The Archons, however, didn't really want to continue developing "electronic" technologies and instead focused on genetics. They had the dream of creating the "perfect race" for whatever reason.

The Archons did maintain and use human tech, but only as tools for their genetic experimentation. When the Archons died out, all their infrastructure and the human infrastructures were left behind. That's why everyone has high-tech gear without the intervening steps: it was all sitting around with manuals and computer files for them to find. Of course, there's a lot of lost technology, and there's a lot of reverse-engineering going on as people try to rediscover what was lost.

Cassa posted:

It's definitely an interesting thing to consider, it reads like the corp were able to find enough tech to bootstrap themselves into space flight, so clearly it can't have been too bad?

Reminds me, hey Evil Mastermind can I use your Fatal and Friends review of Fragged Empire to pad out a thread? Finally getting to play it and wanna have goons to bounce ideas off.
Yeah, sure, go for it. (Man I need to get back to that)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The book does get into this later; when humanity died out, we left behind all our super-advanced technology. The Archons, however, didn't really want to continue developing "electronic" technologies and instead focused on genetics. They had the dream of creating the "perfect race" for whatever reason.

The Archons did maintain and use human tech, but only as tools for their genetic experimentation. When the Archons died out, all their infrastructure and the human infrastructures were left behind. That's why everyone has high-tech gear without the intervening steps: it was all sitting around with manuals and computer files for them to find. Of course, there's a lot of lost technology, and there's a lot of reverse-engineering going on as people try to rediscover what was lost.

Yeah, sure, go for it. (Man I need to get back to that)

Oh, you misunderstand. I totally get why they have that tech, but I'm saying "how much does it gently caress them up to have all tech but not earn it?" Like, humanity has earned all its technology. We forged in the fires of scientific creation as our species evolved and our society rose and fell. They just inheritied it all. Imagine if a species was just made and, suddenly, they have laser beams and space travel. Like, humans slowly earned all that tech and have some basis of how to use/make primitive tech because, well, we made it. They never did that part. They just inheririted it all. When the 100 years of darkness came, did they even know what a shovel was? They've only ever known hypertech and never used/created/seen primitive tech, mostly likely.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Races don't remember technological progression, individuals do. Knapping tools isn't an instinct, it's a learned skill that isn't known to most humans alive today, regardless of our ancestors' pursuits. Engineered races (species?) just won't know what they're missing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Races don't remember technological progression, individuals do. Knapping tools isn't an instinct, it's a learned skill that isn't known to most humans alive today, regardless of our ancestors' pursuits. Engineered races (species?) just won't know what they're missing.

Right, but we all are vaguely aware of that tech. We may not know how to do it ourselves, but we know we did it once. When they lost all their tech during the 100 Years of Darkness, they'd have to remake all technology from scratch starting from the top. It just makes me wonder how that screws with you. Like, we know what a shovel is and what an axe is and are vaguely aware of animal husbandry and farming. We may not know how to do it, but we know of it. They would go like "uh, we've only ever known a world literally tailored to suit our every whim by godlike beings, now our world is in ruin and we have no technology."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Interestingly, Fragged Kingdom kind of explores the idea of the races only having primitive tech; the idea is that it uses the "fantasy setting is actually the distant future of a super-advanced civilization; everyone forgot technology existed", and has the super-advanced civilization from history be Fragged Empire.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

They would go like "uh, we've only ever known a world literally tailored to suit our every whim by godlike beings, now our world is in ruin and we have no technology."

This is basically how I feel when the power goes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

This is basically how I feel when the power goes out.

I guess it's worth bringing up that I'm an Eagle Scout.

• Locked thread