Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Futuresight posted:

1488 on a First Come First Serve run.

So yeah, much easier now. I think I may even be able to keep all the colonisers completely out. Portugal is at 5 dip so they ain't gonna get to the colonial range extension at 7 any time soon, England is at 7 dip but still doesn't have an exploration idea of which they need 2 before they can even see America, France chose 2 non-exploration ideas and Castile chose religious and is way behind getting its 2nd group.

Started in a Caribbean trade node province in South America then picked every island province in range besides the 2 +trade provinces in the C aribbean. Then also picked enough provinces to join my capital to central america except for the 2 +trade provinces on the way. Avoiding +trade provinces because they're expensive in the nation builder. Then I just punched through central america and colonised everything I could. Oligarch republic with a 20 year old ruler with +0.5 republican tradition trait means the dude is still going. I have so many points I can strengthen government and just keep reelecting him. Funny thing how the siberian idea works is that you need to have an adjacent core province connected to your capital. Except, a conquered province counts as a core even if you haven't cored it yet, and the connected to your capital thing counts uncored colonies. So you can just leave gaps in your paths and connect them up with siberia colonies.

Pretty fun game in an abusing broken stuff kinda way.
Angling a little hard there with the black color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
... I had not even noticed. :blush:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Futuresight posted:

1488 on a First Come First Serve run.

So yeah, much easier now. I think I may even be able to keep all the colonisers completely out. Portugal is at 5 dip so they ain't gonna get to the colonial range extension at 7 any time soon, England is at 7 dip but still doesn't have an exploration idea of which they need 2 before they can even see America, France chose 2 non-exploration ideas and Castile chose religious and is way behind getting its 2nd group.

Started in a Caribbean trade node province in South America then picked every island province in range besides the 2 +trade provinces in the Caribbean. Then also picked enough provinces to join my capital to central america except for the 2 +trade provinces on the way. Avoiding +trade provinces because they're expensive in the nation builder. Then I just punched through central america and colonised everything I could. Oligarch republic with a 20 year old ruler with +0.5 republican tradition trait means the dude is still going. I have so many points I can strengthen government and just keep reelecting him. Funny thing how the siberian idea works is that you need to have an adjacent core province connected to your capital. Except, a conquered province counts as a core even if you haven't cored it yet, and the connected to your capital thing counts uncored colonies. So you can just leave gaps in your paths and connect them up with siberia colonies.

Pretty fun game in an abusing broken stuff kinda way.
Now may be a good time to combine First Come, First Served and For Odin....

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Probably a good time for From Humble Origins too since it requires using less than 50 points and the siberian frontiers costs 0.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ok, the patch has messed my Papal States save, which was my first really successful non-Ottoman run. I have started a Brandenburg game and conquered Neumark without problemas thanks to my ally, Poland. Couldn't ally Austria, sadly, they filled all their relation slots so fast I could improve my relation fast enough.

The question is, how I get the province I need from Pomerania without the HRE Emprah demaning it back?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tell the emperor to kiss your beans and take whatever. it'll get some unrest and they get a cb but they probably won't declare on you with a strong ally

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Ok, the patch has messed my Papal States save, which was my first really successful non-Ottoman run. I have started a Brandenburg game and conquered Neumark without problemas thanks to my ally, Poland. Couldn't ally Austria, sadly, they filled all their relation slots so fast I could improve my relation fast enough.

The question is, how I get the province I need from Pomerania without the HRE Emprah demaning it back?

Who cares what that old idiot tells you? You're Prussia! Historically, one of their favorite things in the world was telling Austria to gently caress off.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you can give yourself a seed province in north america and for the small fee of 200 admin each time you can move your capital back and forth between north and south america to lock down east coast + brazil in years

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When I did First Come First serve a few patches ago I didn't shut down the coasts, I let the Europeans colonize and then I took their land a little later

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
I allied Poland, France and Hungary the last time i played as Brandenburg and the HRE poo poo their pants so hard they didnt even start a war after they formed a coalition

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

East Asia would be much more interesting if it had more trade nodes flowing inwards. So many East Asian picks are limited by their trade options...South Asia is great for this reason.

Was flipping trade flows a thing in EU3? The penalty to trading upstream is really heavy in EU4.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

oddium posted:

you can give yourself a seed province in north america and for the small fee of 200 admin each time you can move your capital back and forth between north and south america to lock down east coast + brazil in years

Moving your capital to a province of lesser development is outrageously expensive now, an additional 10ADM per dev less than current capital.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

then don't move it to a province of lesser development

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You really don't need to move your capital at all or even pick a particularly good starting position to absolutely tear poo poo up. I started up with a few 3 dev jungle shithole provinces around Panama and can easily bully Castile and Portugal by ~1530.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Are there any good videos you guys would recommend of playthroughs like this? I feel like I'm still loving amateur hour over here.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

If you over develop a non capital province do you always get powerful noble family event in that province? In a korchin game I spawned renaissance in Mysore and it was terribly difficult to get any value out of that province as the nobles kept pushing the autonomy up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

Are there any good videos you guys would recommend of playthroughs like this? I feel like I'm still loving amateur hour over here.

Of the new Siberian Frontier gimmick in particular? There's really not much to show. You set custom nation difficulty to normal (200 points), pick Western tech group, pick the idea as your tradition, plonk your capital down around the middle of the Americas somewhere, Frontier-colonize every province that borders you, wait for it to complete, Frontier-colonize every province that touches your new borders, and when you run into anyone else, destroy them with your crushing military technology advantage. Make sure you pick Exploration as your first idea group so you can nab the Caribbean islands since that's where the money is and they can be a bit irritating to fight wars for.

There's a couple of other tricks like moving your capital around, Frontier-colonizing off of uncored provinces you've just conquered, sniping colonies off weak newly formed colonial nations, picking the +development for colonies age bonus ASAP, but that's the basic plan. If you're constantly Frontier-colonizing all the provinces you can and actively conquering all the American minors you encounter, it's totally possible to be the #1 great power by 1500 without ever having fought a stronger enemy than the Peruvian minors, even if your ideas/government/starting position aren't that good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm taking advantage of the Siberian Frontier as well and MAN is this so much less tedious than it would be without it. Only advice I could offer that hasn't been is that you want your country to start on or near the North/South continental divide so you can either get the On Two Continents age bonus immediately or very soon. Other than that--expand aggressively early. You want to make sure to get to the outer edges of the Aztec and Inca lands as early as you can. It's not a do-or-die thing, but it's just ideal so you can take the greatest advantage of the higher colonial development age bonus, essentially doubling the development of all those 1/1/1 dev jungle provinces.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

skasion posted:

. If you're constantly Frontier-colonizing all the provinces you can and actively conquering all the American minors you encounter, it's totally possible to be the #1 great power by 1500 without ever having fought a stronger enemy than the Peruvian minors, even if your ideas/government/starting position aren't that good.

I kinda want to try this for fun before it gets nerfed, where's the ideal start for this? Guessing around panama so you can spread like cancer on both south and north America?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I kinda want to try this for fun before it gets nerfed, where's the ideal start for this? Guessing around panama so you can spread like cancer on both south and north America?

Panama is where I started and I'm doing just fine. Be warned though, the provinces are quite crappy jungle stuff and because the isthmus is so narrow you can't expand super fast at the very start -- you only really start to build up a head of steam once you beat Muisca.

Someone else in the thread said they started on one of the South American provinces in the Caribbean node which is probably a better way to get money and development in a hurry. You're further from the Mexican and Andean minors but I'm sure you can still reach them in plenty of time.

The only other place I can think of that might work is somewhere along the Gulf Coast. You could work your way down to the Mexicans pretty fast and there's plenty of minors in the eastern US to leapfrog over. Might leave you a bit poorer than expanding into South America from the start though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I started in Panama. I also started as Norse--you get that nice Discipline bonus from Tyr and I thought that For Odin would be a "pie-in-the-sky" goal for this run. Yeah--it's gonna be no problem, I think, if I actually want to go through with it. You probably want a Development and maybe a Missionary in your ideas. I threw a colonist in there but now that I'm actually in it I've realized it's totally unnecessary. The colonists from Exploration and the ridiculous exponential growth from Siberian frontier are more than enough.

For culture the old wisdom was to pick the culture of a major colonizer...but honestly, you're probably going to outpace them. Pick whatever you like or what might help for an achievement (like For Odin or, hell, the Zoroastrian one).

Just to put the explosive growth into perspective--I started with five garbage provinces centered on Panama. In 1521, I'm an Empire with 1064 development and the third-ranked great power--and I'm pretty sure I could have expanded more aggressively.

On starting on the Gulf Coast: I feel like getting that On Two Continents bonus is pretty important to taking advantage of Siberian Frontiers. As far as I can tell, you can't rival New World minors when you have Western Tech so you can't get the age bonus for Humiliating one. But then again--maybe you can leap frog through the Aztec and Mayan region quicker than I imagine.

South America at the Caribbean Node could work. It's not far from Panama and it's close to Muisica and the Incan nations.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Does it really matter how much money/dev you get early? I'd kind of think just the sheer volume of the NA region having a billion dudes to conquer and expand off of would be ideal, but I'm not 100% clear on how the Siberian Border abuse works. I guess you're still paying 2 ducats/turn for the colony?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What DLC lets you make custom nations?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Does it really matter how much money/dev you get early? I'd kind of think just the sheer volume of the NA region having a billion dudes to conquer and expand off of would be ideal, but I'm not 100% clear on how the Siberian Border abuse works. I guess you're still paying 2 ducats/turn for the colony?

No, it costs 20 diplo up front and then loving NOTHING to maintain. That's precisely why it is so good. As long as you have diplo points and border empty provinces you can always be colonizing and there is no drawback.

I might try it from North America at some point. I'm sure you could tie up most of the continent east of the Mississippi easily. The drawback might be that it takes so much longer to get that +colony development bonus, which is really a huge help.

Technowolf posted:

What DLC lets you make custom nations?

El Dorado, but you also need Third Rome to get the idea.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mr. Fowl posted:

I started in Panama. I also started as Norse--you get that nice Discipline bonus from Tyr and I thought that For Odin would be a "pie-in-the-sky" goal for this run. Yeah--it's gonna be no problem, I think, if I actually want to go through with it. You probably want a Development and maybe a Missionary in your ideas. I threw a colonist in there but now that I'm actually in it I've realized it's totally unnecessary. The colonists from Exploration and the ridiculous exponential growth from Siberian frontier are more than enough.

For culture the old wisdom was to pick the culture of a major colonizer...but honestly, you're probably going to outpace them. Pick whatever you like or what might help for an achievement (like For Odin or, hell, the Zoroastrian one).

How about getting Manchu culture for banners? Would that make sense?

No more manpower trouble and with all the gold/nice trade goods in central and south america I'd think you will never run into money issues.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, I started as Norse Manchu in the province just below Panama- Panama has a modifier, so I couldn't find a way to get it + western tech and still be below 50 points (I'd like to get Rags to Riches e: wait I meant Humble Origins at the same time).

I hadn't looked at custom nations in a while, there's a whole bunch of neat stuff in the idea choices now. The +1 monarch admin, administrative efficiency and so on. Shame I couldn't pick any of it and stay under 50 points, but I guess there's always Ideas Guy some other time.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 16, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
gently caress, I didn't consider Norse/Manchu. And yeah, ultimately I suppose the dev bonus doesn't REALLY matter. Though it might help with having bigger banners.

Unless I'm mistaken, you should probably relocate to one of the more prosperous states as soon as it's feasible. Mexico, maybe. I did Bogota in mine (with the colonial development bonuses, it was the highest value state and already about half my culture.)

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Got First Come First Serve in 1562. :getin:

And yeah I was able to keep the colonisers completely out of America.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Groogy posted:

I think I've gotten more death threats over banning people than actually anything relating to the games in itself. Most of them goes something in style with "muh freedums, i marine veteran, friend got u ip, i keel u"
By now I guess I have half of Navy Seals chasing me down. :cheers:

Navy Seals who spend their days trolling internet forums instead of writing lovely books? That might explain why they're too incompetent to carry out their threats if they can't even get that part right.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Going Norse Manchu in Panama :xd:

Looks like I am going to buy the expansion simply because doing this New World Shenanigans (tm) sounds like something fun and different.

Do you guys go diplo focus to afford this?

It looks like you can do First Come, First Served; For Odin!; and From Humble Origins all in one go....

Futuresight posted:

Got First Come First Serve in 1562. :getin:

And yeah I was able to keep the colonisers completely out of America.
:stare:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah I went diplo focus all the way.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i did diplo focus but the deceptively rich mesoamerica and peru provinces + exploration first left me thirsty for admin. but you make so much money you can just run +2/3 advisors all the time

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Going Norse Manchu in Panama :xd:

Looks like I am going to buy the expansion simply because doing this New World Shenanigans (tm) sounds like something fun and different.

Do you guys go diplo focus to afford this?

It looks like you can do First Come, First Served; For Odin!; and From Humble Origins all in one go....

:stare:

You don't necessarily have to go diplo focus immediately, but it will become painfully clear when that moment comes.

And yes, the growth becomes explosive and ridiculous. Though I'm not sure if it's possible to do both First Come and From Humble Origins at the same time--or does the cost for tech group not count against the cost for the achievement?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Since rushing down the Ming last try turned out to be a bust in the long run, I was gonna give the Manchu another go. I learned quite a bit in my first try, but I would appreciate some tips on how to play a horde properly. Is razing provinces worth it to keep your unity up or should you just rely on looting and strengthening government? I'm planning on taking my time and growing much larger this run before making any attempts at the Ming, and that's my biggest concern.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

oddium posted:

i did diplo focus but the deceptively rich mesoamerica and peru provinces + exploration first left me thirsty for admin. but you make so much money you can just run +2/3 advisors all the time

This is also true. I had to leave a lot of natives uneaten for a while because of lack of admin points to core everything I could take.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thanks for the replies. I wonder what government I would want to go...

I may skip From Humble origins just so I can have better ideas doing FCFS + For Odin! I havent dont the nation designer in forever either so it should be interesting...

edit: Does the settler growth idea help the Siberian Frontier stuff?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 17, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thanks for the replies. I wonder what government I would want to go...

I may skip From Humble origins just so I can have better ideas doing FCFS + For Odin! I havent dont the nation designer in forever either so it should be interesting...

edit: Does the settler growth idea help the Siberian Frontier stuff?

I don't think so. It doesn't seem to be affected by your native policy either, it doesn't list your population growth at all. It's still not a bad idea to have because you need some provinces which can't be frontiered though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I started as Norse Manchu in the province just below Panama- Panama has a modifier, so I couldn't find a way to get it + western tech and still be below 50 points (I'd like to get Rags to Riches e: wait I meant Humble Origins at the same time).

I hadn't looked at custom nations in a while, there's a whole bunch of neat stuff in the idea choices now. The +1 monarch admin, administrative efficiency and so on. Shame I couldn't pick any of it and stay under 50 points, but I guess there's always Ideas Guy some other time.

Why would you go western? Isn't High American literally the same but with units that are like 25% better the whole game?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you gotta be western tech now unfortunately :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

uPen posted:

Why would you go western? Isn't High American literally the same but with units that are like 25% better the whole game?

You have to be Western for the achievement.

--

Since the run is typically going to be over pretty quick, and you won't have to care about absolutism, you probably want to go for a republic. Pick a young ruler with a good starting trait, keep re-electing, pay the mil point tax to keep RT up. Ideas Guy is also not a bad achievement to go for at the same time.

• Locked thread