Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Willo567 posted:

So does this mean we're definitely going to war with Iran now

Killing Fields 2

Tag line:
"More alliances. More killing."

Edit: Also the funniest thing about Ken Starr is that he had to resign because he refused to investigate multiple reports sexual misconduct and tried to sweep the problem under the rug

Lote fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ken Starr also had an op-ed in the Washington Post about how Trump shouldn't fire Mueller lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

A lot of people forget that Bill Clinton was impeached (or almost?) for lying to a Grand Jury.

He was impeached. Impeached just means "bring charges against" not "remove from office."

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Ezra Cohen-Watnick was the guy who had the bright idea to push back by scandalizing Susan Rice's completely legitimate use of unmasking so I wouldn't dismiss his influence out of hand

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Ken Starr also had an op-ed in the Washington Post about how Trump shouldn't fire Mueller lol

One of the unfortunate consequences of Trump winning is we didn't get to see Hillary's DOJ investigate Ken Starr

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

*Comes running into the thread, out of breath*

Guys! GUYS! I found something dumber than the Flat Earth stuff!

No need to thank me, just doing my job.

The idea of little donny red-faced and shrieking at the TV is honestly the best mental image I've had all day.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No, it means there's continued infghting among Trump's merry band of fellows.

A significant faction in the GOP has wanted war with Iran for a while now. Somebody in Trump and Pals trying to make it happen should surprise absolutely nobody.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man I wish this guy wasn't a Menchesque fantasy land bullshitter b/c this would be real funny.

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/875805440461991936

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/875865583832621056
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/875861803594633216
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/875848256269373440
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/875832381604810752
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/875834155174703104
https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/875790412400799744
https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/875703194667634688
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/875876582967058433

https://twitter.com/TomKludt/status/875755488167829509

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

*Appoints an impeached individual as vice president*

Uh...

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EugeneJ posted:

Imagine if he had decided to drink

(Referring to Trump) some people NEED drugs and alcohol....i mean, it couldn't have been worse than how he is now, amirite?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

No need to thank me, just doing my job.

The idea of little donny red-faced and shrieking at the TV is honestly the best mental image I've had all day.

Just to play this one straight, doesn't appointing a vice president not as part of an election require congressional approval?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, slow news week.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just to play this one straight, doesn't appointing a vice president not as part of an election require congressional approval?

Unless I'm mistaken, can't you not hold a public office after you're removed from that office?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Man, slow news week.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

yep

so this congress that just impeached and convicted trump is supposed to confirm him as vp? sure sounds like a trump plan coming together.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

No need to thank me, just doing my job..

To be fair, if that happened I think my head would explode since it'd mean the same congress that removed Trump,from office just confirmed him to come back as VP.

gregday
May 23, 2003

My brain keeps wanting to make OAN into ONAN which is probably more accurate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

yep

so this congress that just impeached and convicted trump is supposed to confirm him as vp? sure sounds like a trump plan coming together.

Also I believe convicted Impeachment also comes with 'You may not hold elected office again', doesn't it?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I want to express my outrage over Castille, but the thought occurred to me, with such posts on social media would I be disqualified from serving on a jury in similar cases, or worse be able to cause a mistrial if my opinions on police came out later?

Most people consider getting disqualified from jury duty a good thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The pardon power explicitly excepts cases of impeachment.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Most people consider getting disqualified from jury duty a good thing.

And that's what leads to lovely juries making lovely rulings.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Wow, I guess the enemy of my enemy is not my friend!

I was shocked and relieved to learn this about myself too.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That was my first thought, too. So this assumes that a congress that voted to impeach would vote to allow that person to become VP, then, when they became president again through a slimy move, allow the "president" that facilitated all of that to become VP again as well?

Oh well, no one ever accused donald cultists of being able to think straight.

Evil Fluffy posted:

To be fair, if that happened I think my head would explode since it'd mean the same congress that removed Trump,from office just confirmed him to come back as VP.

I guess it's all part of some 9D chess double jeopardy thing to clear donald of all wrongdoing or something? :shrug:

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, the saying I've always heard is "Trial by jury means your case is decided by 12 people too dumb to get out of jury duty."

Easy Salmon Recipe fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 17, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

gregday posted:

My brain keeps wanting to make OAN into ONAN which is probably more accurate.

"N O F A P P I N' "

The pepes got him.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

OhDearGodNo posted:

A lot of people forget that Bill Clinton was impeached (or almost?) for lying to a Grand Jury. About a blow job.

However, that's not what it was originally about. The GOP led congress wanted to nail him for Whitewater, however it turned up to be nothing.

The whole thing with Ken Starr is freaking nuts but the point being any campaign ties could or could not be a thing, but I assure you that some really messed up will be found and it could end up much worse for Trump.

They wanted to impeach a Democrat President as revenge for Nixon, right? It was the first time they held the House with a Democratic President and they immediately started looking for crimes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Maybe they(and me) should have gotten more $ per day, and not have to waste ssssssooooo many hours waiting doing mostly nothing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ague Proof posted:

They wanted to impeach a Democrat President as revenge for Nixon, right? It was the first time they held the House with a Democratic President and they immediately started looking for crimes.

They wanted to impeach him for not being a Republican. That was around the time the GOP really started to bring out the big guns in regards to weaponizing procedure. That was Newt's legacy, in the end; exploit every possible rule you can in every way you can. In their eyes anybody that both isn't a Republican and has any amount of power or influence is doing something wrong.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They wanted to impeach him for not being a Republican. That was around the time the GOP really started to bring out the big guns in regards to weaponizing procedure. That was Newt's legacy, in the end; exploit every possible rule you can in every way you can. In their eyes anybody that both isn't a Republican and has any amount of power or influence is doing something wrong.

After Reagan, they started to see the Presidency as just THEIRS. Theirs by right of just being Republicans.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Dead Reckoning posted:

IANAL, but my understanding is that most lawyers are barred by their professional code of conduct from arguing that a jury should simply ignore the law. It's a great way to piss off the judge and your peers, and might be grounds for your State Bar to pull your license. There are already plenty of avenues for a competent lawyer to make emotional appeals to the jury in hopes of swaying them.

Of course, if the defendant is acting pro se, they can always make that case!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Everybody in the legal profession--practicing lawyers, professors, etc.--loving hates juries and thinks they're worthless. They're allowed to exist because of the constitution, but if legal academics could rewrite the constitution they'd get rid of juries in a heartbeat

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I think you could probably get a charity going that gave money to the families of people killed by police. The kind of people who support that basic humanity won't be unwilling to donate if the dead person was really bad. The family probably needs the help even more.
"This man maimed me while robbing my store. I will have chronic pain and walk with a limp for the rest of my life. Why are you rewarding his family for his crimes instead of helping his victims?"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so any chance of Saturday Night Massacre redux, tomarrow?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Everybody in the legal profession--practicing lawyers, professors, etc.--loving hates juries and thinks they're worthless. They're allowed to exist because of the constitution, but if legal academics could rewrite the constitution they'd get rid of juries in a heartbeat

Maybe if attorneys and prosecutors had less contempt for jurors, they'd get better jurors. I've been called to jury selection twice and dismissed once for being in graduate school and once for having a ph.d. My reading of those situations was that they agreed that my skill set would be a disadvantage to them, even though they were on opposite sides of the case.

I drat well would have done my best to reason through each of those cases (if I were selected and they had gone to trial) and felt that I was doing my duty as a citizen. Instead they probably got a bunch of idiots they felt comfortable manipulating and confusing with half-assed sophistry and bad statistics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

With Trump, all things are possible

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Juries are a garbage relic of a bygone era.

Yeah, I went there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

What would it be instead, just the judge's decision?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean, the way he's taken his presidency so far, it'd only be appropriate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I doubt it, which means it will happen, because that's how this presidency has gone: anytime I predict Trump's not that stupid, welp, the Good Lord makes a fool of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Juries are a garbage relic of a bygone era.

Yeah, I went there.

How do most other countries work? Individual judges then tribunals or w/e for bigger stuff/appeals?

• Locked thread