Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DeimosRising posted:

He admits Livingston will be offered more than they can afford but waffles and assumes a can opener of a starting center who will play for the minimum and also a backup and also the rest of the roster. He just doesn't mention them and sticks to the uncontroversial notion than Iguodala can be resigned. Barring "everyone takes a discount" next year they have the big 4, Iggy OR Livingston (they'll choose Iggy), a tax payer exception center, and the remainder of the roster will be their current scrub backups and minimum deal junk (for what this really looks like, see Cleveland's bench and how they rolled over and died in the finals). That's still the finals favorite, but the cap is likely to gently decline or be static going forward so their tax will grow yearly and space will be tighter. Future year exceptions will effectively cost double and resigning Klay will be unlikely. If Iguodala really does want length, 2020 will be difficult. Three max guys will be 105 mil+ and the cap may not be any higher.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure Livingston is going to leave for an offer they don't want to match. Kawakami waffles and says it is 50/50. No one else that matters has to take a discount. I also agree that Klay probably will be gone after two more years unless something unexpected happens.

I'm not that worried about the scrub bench. Unlike Cleveland, the bench will have Iggy and at least one of Steph/KD at all times.
McCaw is going to fill in fine for Clark. So you really just need some mediocre bigs who are willing to hustle on defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah they went 16-1 this season and really were not all that pressed by cle

I think they will be ok with scrubs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Worst thing is that they become super susceptible to Foul trouble but as long as they have home court that should be manageable

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I would guess that they'll backload contracts as much as possible, encourage the guys to take less for the next 2 years in hopes of having more championships than the Heat. And once that happens then the pressure will be intense to go for 6. Barring catastrophic injury, the emergence of Giannis as the best player in NBA history etc

Also they're going to have to deal with a Spurs team custom tailored to beat them specifically. Next year they'll be smarter and wear tape and compression everything to prevent injuries

The owners have lots of funny money, but the exponential luxury tax penalties that pay out to 2/3 of the league are designed to be the exact sort of thing that irritates a rich man

Did you hear about this new bullshit from that Gores motherfucker and the endlessly destructive cabal in charge of Detroit:
https://deadspin.com/detroit-officials-argue-that-inability-to-give-billiona-1796174573

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I wouldn't be too worried either, but the team will be worse next year barring a really lucky signing and will likely continue to decline each year going forward, unlike the Big 3 Heat. Fortunately declining slowly from an all time top 5 team is still a way better next 3 years than any other team is likely to have. In 2020 the team will probably be a big three of Curry/Durant/Green at the end of their primes plus nothing but late rounders and exception vets, and that will still be over the tax even if Iggy's deal expires then, which would mean he didn't sign for length. It's all gravy but this was probably the peak.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Did you hear about this new bullshit from that Gores motherfucker and the endlessly destructive cabal in charge of Detroit:
https://deadspin.com/detroit-officials-argue-that-inability-to-give-billiona-1796174573

Detroit literally took the pensions of a generation of city workers and cut even more but it's really important to give free money to a PAIR of Billionaires in the Illitch family and Gores. Job creators. loving hair club for men mystic tan open shirt gently caress

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

Gores is a titanic turdblossom.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

:siren:

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/875869250598182914

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow can't believe Boston would trade that much for dwyane wade

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

who is going to get owned and end up with okafor

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Told ya'll

AggressivelyStupid posted:

FROOOOOOOOM CHICAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I still believe in jah :colbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He fits perfectly within Fred Hoiberg's philosophy of gently caress Defense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So if the Sixers end up with Fultz, who do they play at the 1?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

He's a native of Chicago so probably the Bulls.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zoux posted:

Fultz?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Lowry or Bayless

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

zoux posted:

Fultz is a point guard unless all the reports I"ve read are wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Or fultz yeah

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

zoux posted:

I'm confused by your question, do you think Gilles BenSimmons would play pg? He's not going to play 1. IT would be Fultz at one and Ben Simmons at 4, but handling the ball and initiating offense a lot, and their system is supposed to encourage passing and ball movement. The nice thing is that they have Sergio Rodriguez to teach Fultz the secret of the art of the point guard, if they retain him. Think somewhere in the middle of Draymond when Luke Walton was coaching and Giannis and that's about how much Benjamin Simmons will initiate the offense and take the ball up

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 17, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sure, but I thought the plan was to develop Ben Simmons to run the point? Do they move him to the 3 then?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

zoux posted:

Sure, but I thought the plan was to develop Ben Simmons to run the point? Do they move him to the 3 then?

Simmons will run the offense, but his body will occupy the position known as PF

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Every Philly basketball journalist is trolling the poo poo out of Simmons.

https://twitter.com/SpikeEskin/status/875878566008848385

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sergio is a fa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brett Brown:

quote:

When I say “point guard,” I mean “point guard.” You know, who takes the ball out of bounds, who receives the ball when the ball goes in the basket, who brings it up the floor after a free throw. I’m not talking about Draymond, I’m not talking about LeBron, you know, I’m talking about a point guard. And so I intend on trying this. You always get into conversations, “well that’s fine, who does he guard?” I don’t see him guarding the opposition’s point guard. It could end up he guards who guards him, so you’re not cross-matched in transition defense. Having said that, I expect that other teams aren’t gonna go put Chris Paul on Ben Simmons, or Isaiah Thomas on Ben Simmons. And so I feel like it’s gonna be interesting, it is a challenge, it is ambitious. But my starting point is where I end up, he’s got a quality that he wants the ball and he loves to pass. And so we’re gonna persevere, and see where this plays out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

Simmons wasn't going to be guarding ones unless Brett Brown had a stroke or something.

Position in the NBA only matters in terms of what you can defend. Offensively it doesn't mean much, outside of your role in the offense you want to run.

Simmons might initiate the offense, Fultz can too.

Fultz will be defending the guards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even colangelo admitted they probably need someone to guard ones most of the time

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

zoux posted:

He's 6'10 and not agile, he can't play 3. He's in a better place to be the co-pg with Fultz at 4 anyway, because they can do the Curry/Draymond guard screen thing.

Fultz isn't a pure point so there will be plenty of touches for Simmons and plenty of time for him to run the show exclusively. Fultz's shooting off the dribble will also free up Simmons and maybe improve his frightening numbers at the rim.

They really need Gural Henderson to stay Healthy so they can keep at least 3 shooters on the floor at all times. Maybe Ben Simmons will show up with a floater and a jumper this year, you never know.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 17, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

zoux posted:

Brett Brown:

Right

Simmons will do all the duties of a PG but will be called a PF and play PF on defense

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fultz is literally the perfect fit . It makes too much sense .

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uh if the Bulls get Okafor would they be moving Lopez? I'm not running the numbers but Lopez/Horford/-/Butler/Thomas is ridiculous. If it's still possible to get Hayward, gently caress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Fultz isn't a pure point

Ah, yeah I dunno anything about his game.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

zoux posted:

Ah, yeah I dunno anything about his game.

That's a misleading statement, obviously you could say James Harden and Manu Ginobli weren't pure points, but as ball handlers and offense creators they do it as well as the best pgs. I intended to convey that he's an own offense creating/scoring combo guard who's a good passer, his skillset leaves tons of room for Ben Simmons to orchestrate the offense and handle the ball, without Fultz being neglected or wasted

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well then it sounds like this trade would be quite a coup for Philly.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's very possible for everyone to win this trade. However, Chicago is going to lose this trade. Bad

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If the Bulls don't end up with with 3 lottery picks in the next 2 years out of this I'm gonna be pissed.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

DeimosRising posted:

I wouldn't be too worried either, but the team will be worse next year barring a really lucky signing and will likely continue to decline each year going forward, unlike the Big 3 Heat. Fortunately declining slowly from an all time top 5 team is still a way better next 3 years than any other team is likely to have. In 2020 the team will probably be a big three of Curry/Durant/Green at the end of their primes plus nothing but late rounders and exception vets, and that will still be over the tax even if Iggy's deal expires then, which would mean he didn't sign for length. It's all gravy but this was probably the peak.

Lol I read this fanfic last year, too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

warcrimes posted:

Lol I read this fanfic last year, too

What kind of maniac expected a team with 3 stars hitting their prime no major contracts ending and cap room for a max to get worse? Unless of course you made that up because you literally never do anything but poo poo post

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

DeimosRising posted:

What kind of maniac expected a team with 3 stars hitting their prime no major contracts ending and cap room for a max to get worse? Unless of course you made that up because you literally never do anything but poo poo post

You seem upset, you should probably have a lie down.

e:

Memphis still my #2 team

https://twitter.com/AmaraBaptist/status/875725262347960323

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
watch danny ainge yank this trade off the table like lucy pulling the football away for the 1000th time

• Locked thread