Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Drifter posted:

To be fair, Doomsday is the type of thing you HAVE to fight from the front - and she did chop of his hand, not her fualt it grew into a bone sword. She also didn't know what the gently caress was going on beyond some grey gorilla is energy ground-pounding up a city.

And with Ares, well, it's kinda hard to go one on one with something that is attacking you and NOT be head to head. It's not like she's Predator or something. She also theoretically has years of training in classical warfare from her Amazon schooling. She'd probably make a great Captain to Batman's General in times of battle, but she should clearly be be the public voice of the JL.

That would be Superman's job. People see him as a symbol of hope/fear but he is by far the most public of the leauge since Diana litterally ran away for a century, Batman works in the shadows, and the Flash and Aquaman aren't even blips on peoples radar. Superman more or less has to be the face of the league and probably it's voice as well.

Wonder Woman is the person who loves to throw down with the big bad and has no problem following others or leading, but when you have the most powerful thing on earth, and the worlds greatest everything a human can do, being the team badass is a pretty sweet gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Great stuff. If there's slow motion in this I didn't spot it, though.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 15, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrJacobs posted:

Diana litterally ran away for a century

I wouldnt call it running away.
I can forgive someone needing some alone time after their bf blows up, they kill their own brother and have their world veiw shattered in one evening.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Great stuff. Any particular reason you're posting it?

Some very brief snippets of noted Kryptonian Jor El in slow motion. :)

Man I really love everything about Man of Steel's Krypton stuff in every way. I hope SyFy brings their The Expanse game to that Krypton show they announced and not their Assault on Dome 4 game.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

When? I didn't spot any when I watched it.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 15, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

When? I didn't spot any when I watched it.

That's because it was moving too slow for your non-Kryptonian eyes to follow it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

I mean, Marvel certain has gotten comic book films right.

They've certainly accurately recreated the 'this is totally important, and will really matter later on only for it to very much not matter later on' part of comics

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I was honestly really surprised how closely this film flowed Man of Steel.

There were some goofy rear end lines and innuendo I loved, "And you let this little thing tell you what to do?" :allears:
It did go too far into the cutesy at times, but at least it was kept separate from the drama.
Unfortunately I was spoiled on Ares, like, right after the film came out, but it did love how it played out.

I'm hoping, that similar to Man of Steel, it plays more smoothly on repeat. I was exhausted at the end of Man of Steel in theaters (as I am now, after this) but all viewings afterwards have just flown by. Maybe it's just grueling on the larger than life screen?

Good film, will hum cello theme for the next week or so.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

wyoming posted:

I was honestly really surprised how closely this film flowed Man of Steel.

I'm hoping, that similar to Man of Steel, it plays more smoothly on repeat. I was exhausted at the end of Man of Steel in theaters (as I am now, after this) but all viewings afterwards have just flown by. Maybe it's just grueling on the larger than life screen?

Good film, will hum cello theme for the next week or so.
It's probably just a first time watch that is so exhausting. You're just not used to it and everything is bright and flashy and new.

The only film that felt exhausting to me was the new Mad Max. All the action at all times everywhere sped up at times and whatnot was pretty draining. I don't really recall anything like that in Wonder Woman, much less anything like that for an entire near-film's worth.

What did you find so draining about WW? I thought it was pretty easy going.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Getting spoilt on Ares isn't the worst thing. I almost wish I knew what it would have been so I wouldn't have been so underwhelmed when it happpened.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

So just to confirm, this was, like, some weird goof to get me to watch the opening of Man of Steel a couple of times? Not that I'm complaining, I love that sequence.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Two and a half hours is just a lot for a super pants film, at least in theaters, give me that three hour cut at home.

Also I loved the Ares reveal, the perfect fit for an evil god, and his goat helm was :krad:
Though the shot of the defeated Ares, all buff and naked with the same goofy mustache made me laugh.
No the god of war didn't choose to look like a dweeby British guy, the god of war has always been a dweeby British guy.

:allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

wyoming posted:

Two and a half hours is just a lot for a super pants film, at least in theaters, give me that three hour cut at home.

Also I loved the Ares reveal, the perfect fit for an evil god, and his goat helm was :krad:
Though the shot of the defeated Ares, all buff and naked with the same goofy mustache made me laugh.
No the god of war didn't choose to look like a dweeby British guy, the god of war has always been a dweeby British guy.

I like to think that was a reference to the N52 WW run

Something that has been bugged me about the movie is that the nature and/or powers of her bracelets are never elaborated upon. Every other part of her gear gets either an explanation or a handwave about their nature and origins but the bracelets are just there.

She's never seen without them and seemingly they grow alongside Diana since they always fit her arms perfectly. There's no explanation on what is the deal with the energy burst nor is ever shown she uses them to deflect things until it happens in London. I mean, if she always could do that, why Antiope simply warned Diana instead of taking the bullet for her?.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wyoming posted:

Running his hand down the front to make the eye holes. :krad:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I like to think that was a reference to the N52 WW run

Something that has been bugged me about the movie is that the nature and/or powers of her bracelets are never elaborated upon. Every other part of her gear gets either an explanation or a handwave about their nature and origins but the bracelets are just there.

She's never seen without them and seemingly they grow alongside Diana since they always fit her arms perfectly. There's no explanation on what is the deal with the energy burst nor is ever shown she uses them to deflect things until it happens in London. I mean, if she always could do that, why Antiope simply warned Diana instead of taking the bullet for her?.

Zeus did it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I think only her whip is explained, she thought the sword was the god killer, and I don't remember anything special ever said about her shield or armor. I think they're just mighty Amazonian metal and she can just channel her powers through them? Sort of like Ares keeps making swords. I suppose she doesn't need to use them to deflect bullets, just thinks she does. But yeah, it is oddly uncommented on.

MariusLecter posted:

Running his hand down the front to make the eye holes. :krad:

:black101:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

wyoming posted:

I think only her whip is explained, she thought the sword was the god killer, and I don't remember anything special ever said about her shield or armor. I think they're just mighty Amazonian metal and she can just channel her powers through them? Sort of like Ares keeps making swords. I suppose she doesn't need to use them to deflect bullets, just thinks she does. But yeah, it is oddly uncommented on.

The shield and the armor are handwaved at the start, when Hyppolita says everything in the armory was made by the gods

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

So did WW kill Dr. Poison at the end there with the tank? It seems like she did but it was weird since you'd expect her to do the opposite of Ares' taunts. Anyway solid film if a bit long, definitely the best DC production by far at this point. Looking forward to seeing more of Gal kicking rear end in JL.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doflamingo posted:

So did WW kill Dr. Poison at the end there with the tank? It seems like she did but it was weird since you'd expect her to do the opposite of Ares' taunts. Anyway solid film if a bit long, definitely the best DC production by far at this point. Looking forward to seeing more of Gal kicking rear end in JL.

She does not. WW allows Dr. Poison to flee.

You're the second person I've read be confused, which kind of surprises me. I thought it was pretty clear.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I knew she let her live because, I mean, thematically it would make zero sense for her to kill her there. But the scene is poorly blocked, IIRC you see Dr. Poison cowering to the lower right of Wonder Woman and then the next shot is Wonder Woman throwing the tank, which she has held over her head, down and to the right.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I knew she let her live because, I mean, thematically it would make zero sense for her to kill her there. But the scene is poorly blocked, IIRC you see Dr. Poison cowering to the lower right of Wonder Woman and then the next shot is Wonder Woman throwing the tank, which she has held over her head, down and to the right.

Exactly. It made no sense in the context of the film but the shot composition / editing certainly hinted at it. I think it was a bit sloppy not to include an additional shot of her getting away sometime during the fight or right after Ares' defeat.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Maybe I have bad taste in movies but I really enjoyed WW. It's the first movie in a very long time where I actually cared about the characters and what happens to them. I don't know why; maybe it was the fantastic chemistry between Gadot and Pine.

I wonder if part of the reason Diana withdrew from the world of man is that she saw that Steve's death was in vain. He gave his life to save London so she could stop "The War to End All Wars" yet 20 years later human kind was at it again and even more violent and evil. Never mind all the other wars, insurgencies, and militarized stand offs that marked the 20th century.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My problem with Wonder Woman is the thing I'm still thinking about is his how the heck history still happened roughly the same way if Ludendorff and Hindenberg are dead, which is a really lame takeaway.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

My problem with Wonder Woman is the thing I'm still thinking about is his how the heck history still happened roughly the same way if Ludendorff and Hindenberg are dead, which is a really lame takeaway.

Well, one of the themes of the movie is that war is a bigger problem than any one man.

I hope there's a sequel that does something with Hitler, since he's an even better idea of 'if we'd just stopped him' when he was the symptom of a much bigger problem.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, one of the themes of the movie is that war is a bigger problem than any one man.
Yeah, I think the point would be that evil is part of humanity's nature and that the armistice at the end of WW1 was deeply flawed. Ares knew that people wouldn't be able to adhere to it so whether it was Hitler or someone else something was going to happen sooner or later.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 17, 2017

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Maybe she did stop the someone else only to open the path for Hitler's rise. That would certainly demoralize any would be do-gooder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Wonder Woman vs Dr Poison

Doflamingo posted:

Schwarzwald posted:

She does not. WW allows Dr. Poison to flee.

You're the second person I've read be confused, which kind of surprises me. I thought it was pretty clear.

Doflamingo posted:

Exactly. It made no sense in the context of the film but the shot composition / editing certainly hinted at it. I think it was a bit sloppy not to include an additional shot of her getting away sometime during the fight or right after Ares' defeat.

I paid extra special attention to that scene the second time I saw the movie and what happens is Diana was holding the tank over Dr Poison and Ares was taunting her to destroy Dr Poison, telling her she knows that she deserves it. Diana then has a flashback to the scene where Steve was telling her "I can save today, you can save the world" which lasts for about a minute which must have been pretty annoying for Ares and REALLY stressful for Dr Poison as they both wait patiently for her to have her moment. Diana then says "You're wrong about them", Dr Poison gets up and starts to run away, Diana throws the tank several metres in a direction which must be pretty close to where Dr Poison was and walks towards Ares and says "They're everything you say, and so much more." The tank lands mostly out of frame so you can't see if it landed on anything and you don't see Dr Poison again.
As Doflamingo said, the context of Diana and Ares arguing over whether humans deserve their protection makes it pretty clear that Diana decided not to kill Dr Poison her but the actual blocking/composition of the scene made it look like she threw the tank towards her.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Popping in with a small, stupid question. Where/how did Diana's Amazon outfit change into her Wonder Woman one? I just saw the movie last night and it seemed like the first time we see the WW one is when she comes out of the trench, but I don't remember any mention of it previously.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hooah posted:

Popping in with a small, stupid question. Where/how did Diana's Amazon outfit change into her Wonder Woman one? I just saw the movie last night and it seemed like the first time we see the WW one is when she comes out of the trench, but I don't remember any mention of it previously.

She steals the gear and puts it on before meeting Steve and leaving Themyscira.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hiddenriverninja posted:

She steals the gear and puts it on before meeting Steve and leaving Themyscira.

Ahh, I didn't realize that the outfit was included; I thought it was just the sword and shield Thanks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I think it's okay to drop spoiler tags now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hooah posted:

You get a glimpse of the armor after she picks up the sword/shield/lasso. Also when she meets Steve before they go to the boat, Steve says "nice outfit" when we get a peak at her boots.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GonSmithe posted:

I think it's okay to drop spoiler tags now.

Steve Trevor's death is sad. I was surprised how good that relationship was.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

You get a glimpse of the armor after she picks up the sword/shield/lasso. Also when she meets Steve before they go to the boat, Steve says "nice outfit" when we get a peak at her boots.

She even stops in front of it with a smile on her face before leaving the armory.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

DeimosRising posted:

and how her very presence didn't cause a huge international incident. a demi-god brutalizing the german army without any knowledge of the conflict at large. she just trusted some random blonde guy on who to kill. "me good, them bad". maybe i'm a killjoy but I have a big issue imagining how the world just moves on from this super-powered warrior entering the war unexpectedly and slaughtering troops on one side. like yeah the german general was looking to gas people and he's bad, but it turns out that Ares was a big part of her entire belief about the situation, and it turns out he was on the other side! The guy she's in love with was working for the big bad, albeit unknowingly. how does she not feel manipulated or confused?

final fight was cool though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

and how her very presence didn't cause a huge international incident. a demi-god brutalizing the german army without any knowledge of the conflict at large. she just trusted some random blonde guy on who to kill. "me good, them bad".

A lot of the set pieces that happened in the film were in remote and/or covert locations. Storming No Man's Land would likely be an unbelievable story that most soldiers on the front would consider a means to inspire, not really an actual thing that happened. Even the town that was liberated was a relatively small village that Etta had trouble finding on a map.

[edit] What was the name of town Diana and co liberated again? Was it Veldt?

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 17, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheHoosier posted:

and how her very presence didn't cause a huge international incident. a demi-god brutalizing the german army without any knowledge of the conflict at large. she just trusted some random blonde guy on who to kill. "me good, them bad". maybe i'm a killjoy but I have a big issue imagining how the world just moves on from this super-powered warrior entering the war unexpectedly and slaughtering troops on one side. like yeah the german general was looking to gas people and he's bad, but it turns out that Ares was a big part of her entire belief about the situation, and it turns out he was on the other side! The guy she's in love with was working for the big bad, albeit unknowingly. how does she not feel manipulated or confused?

final fight was cool though.

"What did you soldier? Some woman with a shield walked across No Man's Land with nary a wound, liberated a town, threw a tank, then defeated a God? Sounds like you got shell shock. Get yourself to the infirmary, and that's an order."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

[edit] What was the name of town Diana and co liberated again? Was it Veldt?
Veld

hooah posted:

You also see her outfit in the streets on London. She starts to take over her hooded overcoat and Steve saying something like "What are you doing?! You're not wearing anything!" and wraps her back up and takes her to the dress shop where they meet Etta.

CelticPredator posted:

Steve Trevor's death is sad. I was surprised how good that relationship was.
The ~*~official novelization~*~ has a slightly different take on it. They make it seem like there's some sort of link between the two as he's flying away and she's able to understand what he was saying because of what he's feeling.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 17, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I liked more the theory that Diana knew what Steve said because she read his lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Reading this and remember the scene is making me all :smith: "I can save today. You can save the world." Steeeeve!

• Locked thread