Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The kick in the balls is that the major issue is being caused by a bad design decision, and not just a freak bug caused by server strain like you'd normally expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I opted instead of fighting to get into something that won't get a major update for weeks I will instead play games on my Nintendo SwitchTM.

Only stopped cause Has Been Hereos apparently is stupid hard and I needed a minute after that last round.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
WoD launch wasn't perfect, more due to a DDoS attack than anything else, but I played WoD for most of launch day. I've played maybe an hour of stormblood today, because stability is so bad you can't stay connected for more than ten minutes if you're actively playing the game. It's in no way comparable.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Fister Roboto posted:

Heavensward launch was smooth as butter compared to this shitshow.

That's the main thing that gets me in all of this.

Yeah, I get that MMO launches can be pretty shaky. But when considering that all SE had to do was "You know what you did in HW's launch? No instance bottlenecks until a little later in addition to dropping people in new Ishgard content (ie, Dusk Vigil) almost immediately? Yeah, just do that for SB," I don't think "b-b-but MMO launches typically suck!" cuts it when the same company in question at least appeared to move beyond their blunders in 1.0 and 2.0's launches.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Uh, were you not around for WoD's launch? It's practically a 1:1 comparison of this.

I wouldn't say 1:1.

WoD was loving terrible. This is pretty good so far.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this is literally WoD launch, yeah. granted blizzard could fix their issue, but don't act like wow hasn't had a lovely xpac launch in ten years when it literally happened the expansion before last.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Issues aside, Samurai loving rules. After I untangled the rotation I started having a blast. Too bad playing a DPS so early in the expansion is masochism else I'd play this forever.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thundarr posted:

Finally got past the drat instance only for work to call me in to fix things that shouldn't have been broken :mad:

Possible music spoilers: Why is the music theme in Rhalgr's Reach an instrumental version of what appears to be the Garlean National Anthem?

ala mhigo belongs to the garleans heil garland

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Red Mage is fairly simplistic, but I give absolutely zero fucks because I am dropping like every magic spell in the game and then swording the poo poo out of someone right in the face.

e: I also love how many Job quests are just randos saying "You look cool, want to learn some magic?".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 17, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Frontlines give exp even if you d/c as long as you reconnect, so I'm resorting to collecting aether currents in the available zones and queueing frontlines.

Could be worse, I guess.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

I am so confused.
I went into Stormblood, talked to Raubahn, went outside the camp and saw a huge conga line snaking through half the area. I followed it to the end, didn't see anything and promptly turned around and went the other direction towards my Scion buddies showing me the new main camp and the next huge area after.
Will this 'early bottleneck' come up soon?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I am so confused.
I went into Stormblood, talked to Raubahn, went outside the camp and saw a huge conga line snaking through half the area. I followed it to the end, didn't see anything and promptly turned around and went the other direction towards my Scion buddies showing me the new main camp and the next huge area after.

within 60-90 minutes of play.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

red mage duel, we both displacement at the same time and then corps-a-corps at the same time and kill each other

extremely anime, extremely my poo poo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I am so confused.

The conga line ends at Raubahn, he won't be there until you have the quest and he's usually culled until you're on top of him because there's so many players there. You'll be sent back to the first zone from that first camp - you can do the MSQ and sidequests in the next zone, and the sidequests in the first zone, but eventually you'll have to do the instanced duty where the conga line is.

If you take your time or have to wait for certain quest mobs to respawn, you can spend up to two hours questing before you have to do Raubahn's duty.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 17, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's an unspoiled botany node that spawns just south of Raubahn, and if there are too many people around him it will get culled.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

There's an unspoiled botany node that spawns just south of Raubahn, and if there are too many people around him it will get culled.

I find running like 2 draw distances away and then coming back makes it work.

e: thankfully the window is now 2 hours. I'd have missed it a few times due to this otherwise.

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 17, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I remember when Aion launched, there were goons waiting 8+ hours to get logged in to our server because not only was it populous as gently caress, but people who managed to get in game (and not crash after 5 minutes like I did) wisely setup shops in towns to avoid the Idle-boot mechanic. And then my apartment flooded because that was when Atlanta got hit with Noah's Flood.

Fister Roboto posted:

Heavensward launch was smooth as butter compared to this shitshow.

I enjoyed having to play much of Heavensward in Japanese or German because the client completely poo poo the bed for me a few (dozen) times in English. Like getting a level 51 quest to talk to someone in Sea of Clouds that wanted me to speak to Matoya. :psyduck:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

http://i.imgur.com/xnPRNJr.png

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
According to a Kotaku interview, YoshiP said Blitzball will come eventually but they can't decide if they want to make it a sport game or a team management game.

Edit: holy gently caress this new avatar is amazing. :swoon:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Is there anybody playing in the Asia Pacific timezones? I pretty much just started, and if there isn't anyone around UTC+10 then I figure I might as well go to one of the underpopulated servers for the xp bonuses and stuff.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Atlatl posted:

Is there anybody playing in the Asia Pacific timezones? I pretty much just started, and if there isn't anyone around UTC+10 then I figure I might as well go to one of the underpopulated servers for the xp bonuses and stuff.

Tonberry supposedly has a large English-speaking population and some minor goon presence.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
whoever bought that av really should've put the cleric stance icon, not fracture

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Exodus up to 88 people past content from the 59 people 4 hours ago via player finder in the zones past it.

At this rate the content is going to last the players well until 4.1.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Reiterpallasch posted:

whoever bought that av really should've put the cleric stance icon, not fracture

Truly a missed opportunity.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Granstein posted:

WoD launch wasn't perfect, more due to a DDoS attack than anything else, but I played WoD for most of launch day. I've played maybe an hour of stormblood today, because stability is so bad you can't stay connected for more than ten minutes if you're actively playing the game. It's in no way comparable.

Uh, no. Horde side got megafucked because they had essentially the same type of bottleneck where nobody could build their garrison, so nobody could do any quests past the WoD start area tanaan thing. This was on top of the DDoS attacks and such.

I haven't had anywhere near the stability problems you're describing, and I've been on since the servers opened up. It got a lot worse at like 3 pm pst because east coast people started getting home from work, but it's settled down a lot and was smooth as butter outside of raubhan's hellgate and that short period of disconnect issues.

* I also play on balmung, one of the most populated worlds on probably the most populated data center. If it's as bad as you say it'd be that bad for me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Didn't Mordiceus use to hate this game, when did he start slurping on SE's proverbial schlong?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
when they killed cleric stance

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The MSQ issues are super hosed and S-E are dumb for falling into the same trap they've gotten caught by before, but I took today off work and got SAM to 60 and still had a lot of fun, so I don't really regret doing so!

What I'm saying is, if you're going to dedicate time to MMO launches, assume the worst and have an alternate plan in the (frankly somewhat inevitable) event that things are hosed.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know, things look grim for us after Carteneau, didn't they?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The thing I really want to know in all of this nonsense going on is if Xenoveritas managed to get their Coil run in before the instance server apparently poo poo the bed.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I'm glad I didn't take any time off for launch.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What are the rotations like for Sam and Rdm?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Red Mage flows so well in dungeons, even before 60. I can't wait to get this bad boy there and start seeing Stormblood content.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zerilan posted:

What are the rotations like for Sam and Rdm?

SAM at 50 is "do your damage buff combo, iaijutsu DoT, then just keep doing all three sen combos followed by Midare Setsugekka."

RDM at 50 is Jolt > Aero/Thunder depending on which mana is lowest > if procs, Stone/Fire ELSE Jolt > Aero/Thunder > repeat until you get 80/80 mana, then dash in, do your melee combo, backflip out and go back to top.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

SAM at 50 is "do your damage buff combo, iaijutsu DoT, then just keep doing all three sen combos followed by Midare Setsugekka."

RDM at 50 is Jolt > Aero/Thunder depending on which mana is lowest > if procs, Stone/Fire ELSE Jolt > Aero/Thunder > repeat until you get 80/80 mana, then dash in, do your melee combo, backflip out and go back to top.

That's basically SAM to 62, except you get to dick around with Hissatu: Kaiten, too, which is fun.

Once you hit 62 and you start gaining Kenki with almost every action, it really takes off. The basics are still the same and centered around keeping your Sen combos up, but the interplay between sen and kenki (with Hagakure) seems to add a lot of complexity. It's fun, highly recommend.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This whole bottleneck will be over soon enough and everyone will have forgotten about it. Just go grind FATEs or something and wait for it to clear out.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Hell, take off for day 2 or 3 of an MMO launch, but never burn it on day one. You're just asking to feel like you've wasted your time.

I'd probably bet some money the problem is still prevalent on day 2/3 with Raubahn. They're acknowledging the issue, say they are limiting capacity, and there is no talk of a fix because the problem is probably deep in the game's architecture/scalability.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
seems to be working now, gonns getting in when none for the past few hours

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol