Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Yahtzee routinely shits on every game, even the ones he likes. That's his gimmick. It's especially obvious when he's doing an exceptionally good game where he has to exaggerate the most minor shortfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A lot of the people you meet are surprised Morgan is on the station (she was supposed to be on earth involved in marketing, iirc, which doesn't sound like Morgan). What was that about? Misdirection to keep you guessing about the final twist? Hints that Alex made the simulation more clandestine, cutting Morgan off most of the station? Or something less exciting?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not really a spoiler thing. They just haven't seen you in months because of the neuromod testing loop you got trapped in. Leaving the station was the 'official' explanation for where you went.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rinkles posted:

A lot of the people you meet are surprised Morgan is on the station (she was supposed to be on earth involved in marketing, iirc, which doesn't sound like Morgan). What was that about? Misdirection to keep you guessing about the final twist? Hints that Alex made the simulation more clandestine, cutting Morgan off most of the station? Or something less exciting?

Mostly it's because you were in the memory hamster wheel for months on end with nobody briefed on it. For a while it seems Morgan would undergo some tests and then try to integrate back with the rest of the crew on the station pretending nothing was wrong, even if they didn't have any memories. Then it seems Alex started putting Morgan through continuous tests for weeks or maybe months.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's what I was getting at with "cutting off". But why? I don't remember a specific reason for ramping up trials, unless we're meant to infer Alex was just getting carried away and abusing your trust.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's Alex covering that he's escalated the testing so that you're being wiped constantly and live in the simulator from the previous situation where you would have a week or two off to record updates and build contingency operators while obliviously ignoring your girlfriend. It's unclear whether that was a mutual plan or just Alex's response to your personality drift.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

or just Alex's response to your personality drift.

Which would seems like the worst possible thing to do, if that's a concern to you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I mean, on the scale of bad ideas happening on that station that's pretty middle of the road. I wasn't sure whether it was just a "get the testing over with as soon as possible so I can have my sibling back" or if it was solely because you were less cooperative when you had the opportunity to dream of the thing in the black.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Rinkles posted:

That's what I was getting at with "cutting off". But why? I don't remember a specific reason for ramping up trials, unless we're meant to infer Alex was just getting carried away and abusing your trust.

After a while, Morgan comes back different every time they put his memories back. After that, neither of them could trust each other.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

After a while, Morgan comes back different every time they put his memories back. After that, neither of them could trust each other.

They can't put memories back. They just showed him videos and let him read up on what was going on.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can tell the Yahtzee video is a troll because in the first, like, 30 seconds he complains that there are too many System Shock spiritual sequels, and says that DOOM 2016 is one of them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We never hear of Alex using any neuromods. He was in love with the technology, but I wonder if he either had no need to use it himself or was on some self imposed control group thing vs Morgan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Game really should have had a cost associated with hacking (imho). When I see a hackable door there's usually an impulse pulling me away from opening it, because I want to find a more clever solution. I want to deserve the contents of what's on the other side. With repair I have an excuse, because I'm expending resources each time and simply can't afford to repair everything.

Another thing repair does better: it requires a time commitment, and has no inane minigame that takes you out of the world. This small change makes the skill infinitely more dynamic and interactive with the game's other systems. I had a number of tense situations repairing power conduits whilst being stalked or already in combat. These were quick, stressful choices that defined how the encounter went. There probably weren't enough instances of this in the game -- because of larger problems with Prey's combat -- but they illustrate how even that seemingly minor point of interaction can foster good, interesting gameplay.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i just cant believe how real this gets, im only to the sprint to save alex at the bunker and thinking i maybe should have just killed dahl in atmos proc... and maybe the option to subdue and wipe him is still on the table, but i still operate on the line that i need to immolate the station. its just, wide and deep, holy poo poo. its going to be one of those rare AAA games that i feel deserves a 2nd run

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Speedball posted:

We never hear of Alex using any neuromods. He was in love with the technology, but I wonder if he either had no need to use it himself or was on some self imposed control group thing vs Morgan.

maybe he had the thing engineering lady had? where nueromods couldn't integrate correctly and would eventually kill you if you didn't have meds?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually, if you look close at the statue in Alex's office in the botany area, it's got his personal motto inscribed on the podium it sits on: "Don't get high on your own supply"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Real reason is Alex is control while Morgan gets the variables.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Game really should have had a cost associated with hacking (imho). When I see a hackable door there's usually an impulse pulling me away from opening it, because I want to find a more clever solution. I want to deserve the contents of what's on the other side. With repair I have an excuse, because I'm expending resources each time and simply can't afford to repair everything.

Another thing repair does better: it requires a time commitment, and has no inane minigame that takes you out of the world. This small change makes the skill infinitely more dynamic and interactive with the game's other systems. I had a number of tense situations repairing power conduits whilst being stalked or already in combat. These were quick, stressful choices that defined how the encounter went. There probably weren't enough instances of this in the game -- because of larger problems with Prey's combat -- but they illustrate how even that seemingly minor point of interaction can foster good, interesting gameplay.

Anybody here ever play the original Thief games? Lockpicks required a time commitment, plus you'd have to alternate between picks as you went just to keep it from being a "hold down button to proceed" thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Oddly enough I think the only game of it's type I've actually liked the hacking in unconditionally is Bioshock 2. It was quick enough that it never took you out of the game and you could do it at range so hacking a drone or turret right in the middle of combat was not only viable but something that saved my rear end more than once.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
For anyone with issues in the hacking game: Firstly you'll get better at it and it'll stop being hard, even if it does seem ridiculously hard at first. Secondly, for a specific tip, I like to not line up exactly when I try to put the hacking ball through a narrow corridor. I aim the ball so it's going full speed in the direction the corridor/opening goes, but not lined up exactly, and at the last moment before it goes through the gap I just tap the directional key to make it line up exactly. I find it's way easier that way and if you bounce you'll probably not bounce in the exact opposite direction from the direction you're trying to go in.

like:
-------
------- 0 <--

Then at the last moment you carry on holding the left arrow, but also tap the up arrow. so now the ball goes diagonally up into the hole.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Speedball posted:

Anybody here ever play the original Thief games? Lockpicks required a time commitment, plus you'd have to alternate between picks as you went just to keep it from being a "hold down button to proceed" thing.

Yeah but instead it was "alternate between two buttons to proceed". Thief 3 had the best lockpicking if you edited the ini to remove the visual UI component that made it too easy. Then you had to kind of probe around with the mouse and listen for clicks and it actually kind of felt like how I'd imagine picking a lock to feel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Oddly enough I think the only game of it's type I've actually liked the hacking in unconditionally is Bioshock 2. It was quick enough that it never took you out of the game and you could do it at range so hacking a drone or turret right in the middle of combat was not only viable but something that saved my rear end more than once.

I've heard enough about that game now that I'm going to have to play it eventually.

The Bioshock 1 remaster was literally broken on PC (I had 20+ crashes over one playtgrough), is 2 better or should I get the original release?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redreader posted:

For anyone with issues in the hacking game: Firstly you'll get better at it and it'll stop being hard, even if it does seem ridiculously hard at first. Secondly, for a specific tip, I like to not line up exactly when I try to put the hacking ball through a narrow corridor. I aim the ball so it's going full speed in the direction the corridor/opening goes, but not lined up exactly, and at the last moment before it goes through the gap I just tap the directional key to make it line up exactly. I find it's way easier that way and if you bounce you'll probably not bounce in the exact opposite direction from the direction you're trying to go in.

like:
-------
------- 0 <--

Then at the last moment you carry on holding the left arrow, but also tap the up arrow. so now the ball goes diagonally up into the hole.

In my case, I despise its existence, not the particulars of its design. Although it is pretty awful even as far as minigames are concerned.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

I've heard enough about that game now that I'm going to have to play it eventually.

The Bioshock 1 remaster was literally broken on PC (I had 20+ crashes over one playtgrough), is 2 better or should I get the original release?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Both the original and the remaster have terrible crashing issues. The original release is your best bet, but it will occasionally just quit to desktop with no error message.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I do not remember bioshock 2 ever crashing but it was some time ago so it's possible I'm just forgetting it.

IMO it's a much worse story and a much more interesting game than bioshock 1. Gameplay about as good as infinite but it's slower paced.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I liked the hacking in EYE so Prey's just seems a little quaint. It doesn't punish you heavily enough for hacking to be an opportunity cost choice outside of the skill points, which are theoretically unlimited.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SS2 had the right idea. A hack attempt had both a risk and resource associated, and was real time (admittedly probably harder with gamepad interfaces)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Wafflecopper posted:

Thief 3 had the best lockpicking if you edited the ini to remove the visual UI component that made it too easy. Then you had to kind of probe around with the mouse and listen for clicks and it actually kind of felt like how I'd imagine picking a lock to feel.

I'm glad I wasn't the only grognard who did this.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i just got hack on my 2nd play and yea there is a cost for failing but not the same time-based cost of reading a monitor in combat, p hosed up actually. ss1 hacking felt like you were actually loving with something, and cyberspace was unique on a whole different level. i just learned that repair in prey is hold a button to do X...

but in that light, how bad was elder scrolls lockpicking? i hated that poo poo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
ES lockpicking wasn't as terrible as it could have been, but one of the big downsides was that lockpicks were not even remotely a limited quantity, ever, and so the penalty of failing being "lose a lockpick" was meaningless. The other was that time paused while you picked the lock.
The final big downside was that 90% of games from then on would use this system.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dying Light lifts Bethesda's lockpicking wholesale (it feels a little different), except it doesn't pause time. The results are predictably more nerve-racking.

I probably would have really liked that game if it weren't for my distaste of zombies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HATECUBE posted:

i just got hack on my 2nd play and yea there is a cost for failing but not the same time-based cost of reading a monitor in combat, p hosed up actually. ss1 hacking felt like you were actually loving with something, and cyberspace was unique on a whole different level. i just learned that repair in prey is hold a button to do X...

but in that light, how bad was elder scrolls lockpicking? i hated that poo poo

It was slightly less tedious than Speechcraft, the dumbest RPG minigame in the history of the medium

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rinkles posted:

SS2 had the right idea. A hack attempt had both a risk and resource associated, and was real time (admittedly probably harder with gamepad interfaces)

I liked SS2 hacking except for the fact that it was random and some stuff would blow up if you failed, so sometimes you got screwed for no reason. A purely skill based version of that would be good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

I liked SS2 hacking except for the fact that it was random and some stuff would blow up if you failed, so sometimes you got screwed for no reason. A purely skill based version of that would be good.

My ideal lockpick/hacking scenario is real-time, no mini-game, and purely a skill check, no random chance. Sadly it's rare if ever that all these qualities are present at once.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

My ideal lockpick/hacking scenario is real-time, no mini-game, and purely a skill check, no random chance. Sadly it's rare if ever that all these qualities are present at once.

It's still not my favorite thing, but there is some merit to the idea that the skill check requires your attention. The same way how being under pressure will affect your shooting skills, having to concentrate on the actual lockpicking will mean sometimes you can't afford the distraction or have to accept the chance of things going wrong.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Was there something hosed up going with the looking glass technology? Dr Calvino, the guy who invents it, is pretty sketchy. You find multiple people dead in front of looking glass screen and at one point seemingly summon a phantom using one. Theres also that phantom line about "what did you see in the glass?"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It's still not my favorite thing, but there is some merit to the idea that the skill check requires your attention. The same way how being under pressure will affect your shooting skills, having to concentrate on the actual lockpicking will mean sometimes you can't afford the distraction or have to accept the chance of things going wrong.

This is why it's so good in bioshock 2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

babypolis posted:

Was there something hosed up going with the looking glass technology? Dr Calvino, the guy who invents it, is pretty sketchy. You find multiple people dead in front of looking glass screen and at one point seemingly summon a phantom using one. Theres also that phantom line about "what did you see in the glass?"
You can find an audiolog (I think it's one of Calvino's) where he's talking about the dream of the thing in the darkness, except in his version he's watching it through the looking glass and wakes up just before it comes through.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a secret in Calvino's lab? I heard a log that he wanted a specific weight for a mug and I figured I needed to drop that on a scale somewhere in there, but running around in the office with a mug for an hour I didn't find anything to put it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gaius Marius posted:

Is there a secret in Calvino's lab? I heard a log that he wanted a specific weight for a mug and I figured I needed to drop that on a scale somewhere in there, but running around in the office with a mug for an hour I didn't find anything to put it on.

Watch the videos on the looking glass screen in the office closely.

Or don't, the scale is on the small desk adjacent to the looking glass screen.