Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I get the appeal of minecraft, but I don't get the appeal of Minecraft Lego, aside from the obvious brand recognition. I feel like even if I was a kid who liked Minecraft I'd still go for other themes, because mincraft is basically just "Lego but lamer". There's all of these cool details in Lego now and kids just want all a bunch of brown and green bricks to stack up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The sets are more than mining crap, though. The game is, too, really.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hey if the Minecraft Lego helps pay for the production of smaller, more esoteric lines, it's fine by me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

pzy posted:

Pop Star Tour Bus is one of the best lego vehicles. Get hosed etc.

Is it? How so? My gf really liked the hot dog van I bought her.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Oh is it time to bitch about themes again?

How about those Friends sets? I mean come on!!

Aw come on man I just got my daughter a Puppy Parade set as an end of preschool year gift.

:(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That one is awesome, too.

Someone thinks Friends sets are for girls.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

That one is awesome, too.

Someone thinks Friends sets are for girls.

I actually wish it wasn't all white and pink and poo poo (though purple is her favorite color), but I know she'll get a big kick out of a dog car.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
The only thing wrong with friends are the stupidly​ shaped minifigures. I welcome more colors, even if I only use them a little.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

For anyone looking for a good piece bank sort of set and lives in the states, Target is selling the mini Batwing for $3.49. Not bad at all for 80 pieces, including a bunch of those slope tile ones.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Habibi posted:

For anyone looking for a good piece bank sort of set and lives in the states, Target is selling the mini Batwing for $3.49. Not bad at all for 80 pieces, including a bunch of those slope tile ones.

Must be sold out on their site. I can't find it there at all. I'll have to check a store. Thanks, though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Must be sold out on their site. I can't find it there at all. I'll have to check a store. Thanks, though.

I think it might be an in store exclusive. In case you go: at the one here, they're hanging in the checkout pages.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Oh my god the US Capitol building has way too many loving 1x1 blocks. I just worked on it for a bit and I did something like 200 1x1 pieces that all went in a row. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

edit: It's starting to look really good though, just absolutely aggravating to have things in a million pieces for that instead of made into more build-friendly designs. These could've been 5x1 or 3x1 and looked the same or even better because 1x1 blocks are impossible to align correctly.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 17, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
A lot of the time on architecture sets they do that for texturing reasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Buckingham Palace and Farnsworth House were frustrating builds because of all the 1x1 pieces, but they're worth it for the resulting look.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I haven't got any Friends sets because a. the minifigs suck and b. I was never really into town stuff anyway, but some of the sets look pretty cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Wal Mart next to me is closing and it's 25% off the already marked down prices. They still have everything new in stock :pwn: this is dangerous I gotta get out of here.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Where do you live I'll be right over

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I managed to jam my knee straight into a drat propeller last night playing Lego with my daughter. I got stabbed in two spots and bleed a ridiculous amount, I think I found something worse than just straight stepping on one. My daughter did find my pain hilarious though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

Where do you live I'll be right over

Denver.

Managed to escape with the lighthouse for $30 and the van and caravan set for $10. Could have easily have spent 10 times that so I'm not too angry at myself lol.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Real Pokemon, fake Legos. I'm extremely torn. Is this good y/n?
Xpost to Pokemon thread.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For a non Lego set that build aint half bad Imo. Not my thing but's cool for what it is

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

veni veni veni posted:

The Wal Mart next to me is closing and it's 25% off the already marked down prices. They still have everything new in stock :pwn: this is dangerous I gotta get out of here.

Did the workers manage to unionize?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Get the mixels if you like Pokémon and Lego.

I built my Rocket today. Had a problem with my second stage popping parts of my first and found I had some pieces one stud off, and fixed it. Just the most amazing and satisfying build. So many tricks and steps that came together in incredible ways.

Are there other sets with such satisfying (I can't think of a better word) engineering?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are there other sets with such satisfying (I can't think of a better word) engineering?

A lot of the architecture sets use techniques like that.

Even some of the ones that one might imagine are just big glass boxes, like the UN Building, are actually clearly constructed to get them looking just right.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nth Doctor posted:

Real Pokemon, fake Legos. I'm extremely torn. Is this good y/n?
Xpost to Pokemon thread.
Mega Construx is apparently a new subset or somtehing of Mega Bloks, so the brick quality should be decent. Not Lego quality, but not dollar-store knockoff poo poo bricks. I guess it's what they're releasing all their licensed brands under now? Does Mega Bloks even release non-licensed sets anymore?

https://twitter.com/megaconstrux?lang=en

quote:

The official Twitter for Mega Construx™, the new construction toy brand by Mega Bloks®, connecting building fans with the worlds they love.

Anyway, it won't hold a candle to the real Construx until they get a rockin' theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmKJyPviEA
ACTSHUNNNNNN

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I learned my lesson the hard way after fighting the insane build on the Destiny jumpship set; Mega Bloks are now, and will forever be, poo poo. They can label them Construx or whatever they want, but they're still ill-fitting garbage. The only things from that line that weren't a disaster were the individual figures.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My fiancé ordered me the newest Falcon for Father's Day, anyway to make it look more like the old one? I know I'll have to find a round radar dish.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

a sexual elk posted:

My fiancé ordered me the newest Falcon for Father's Day, anyway to make it look more like the old one? I know I'll have to find a round radar dish.

Isn't that the only difference?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That and Han Solo's hair and wrinkles.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The interior has some differences, especially around the engine room, and there's a couple differently colored panels making up the top circle part of the hull to show aging. Biggest thing is the dish though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Did the workers manage to unionize?

The typical M.O. for Walmart is to get a massive property tax break to build a new store and then, when the tax breaks expire, they either renegotiate a new tax break for renovations, a new store, or they get the gently caress out of town. They literally only exist because of governmental subsidies, from the building on down to paying like poo poo.

edit: Went to Brickworld Chicago today. Maybe I'm getting old and jaded but there was a ton of stuff there I'd already seen in previous years, riffs on the same city-building scenes over and over ("Spot the Pig Man! Find Santa Claus! Look out for the Alien Invasion!") and, for some reason this year, a SHITLOAD of uninteresting Bionicle figures. I'll still go next year I'm sure, but I was just really unenthused this year.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 18, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I have a Saturn V waiting for me at work, so that's rad. What are some other uber-satisfying builds and potentially cool to have displayed out in an adult home?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rickiep00h posted:

The typical M.O. for Walmart is to get a massive property tax break to build a new store and then, when the tax breaks expire, they either renegotiate a new tax break for renovations, a new store, or they get the gently caress out of town. They literally only exist because of governmental subsidies, from the building on down to paying like poo poo.

Yeah but they also specifically close stores that try to unionise.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I never shop at Walmart and no amount of LEGO discount will change that. They are horrible and are destroying America.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ShaneB posted:

I have a Saturn V waiting for me at work, so that's rad. What are some other uber-satisfying builds and potentially cool to have displayed out in an adult home?

Temple of Airjitzu.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How does Lego Boost compare to Mindstorms?

My 7 year old is very interested in programming and robots right now, but Mindstorms might be a bit much for him. But I can't tell if Boost would satisfy his itch.

And is it compatible with Mindstorms if we upgraded in the future?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

How does Lego Boost compare to Mindstorms?

My 7 year old is very interested in programming and robots right now, but Mindstorms might be a bit much for him. But I can't tell if Boost would satisfy his itch.

And is it compatible with Mindstorms if we upgraded in the future?

It looks like Boost and Mindstorms use different connectors. Mindstorms uses a modified RJ12 plug. Boost seems to use a custom connector, which appears to be the same as the WeDo 2.0 connector. Which also means they're incompatible with Power Functions, and internal documents seem to refer to them as LPF2--Lego Power Functions 2.

Maybe some enterprising 3rd party will make adapters for the connectors, but if the control signals are different...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Whichever of the architecture series tickles your fancy (I think i'm getting myself a nos Imperial Hotel for xmas), the Porsche 911, and I think the 42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator will make a pretty awesome showpiece.

The 911 was a little aggravating as the steps per set of bags was a little high, but the payoff was worth it.

The Saturn V hit the bag/steps ratio right on and was a super satisfying build.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I had promised a friend the spare fourth astronaut from my Saturn V kit, which meant opening the last bag first.
So I've been building it backwards and it's great, would recommend. Each stage gets bigger, heavier and more complicated. I'm really appreciating the scale.
Echoing the sentiment that this has some of the most ingenious techniques and surprisingly little repetition.
Immensely satisfying build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

toplitzin posted:

Whichever of the architecture series tickles your fancy (I think i'm getting myself a nos Imperial Hotel for xmas), the Porsche 911, and I think the 42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator will make a pretty awesome showpiece.

The 911 was a little aggravating as the steps per set of bags was a little high, but the payoff was worth it.

The Saturn V hit the bag/steps ratio right on and was a super satisfying build.

Yeah that 911 is hot as hell.