Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

when I was in uni, one of my housemates refused to speak to me for a week because I put the washing machine on during Will and Kate's wedding and the noise apparently ruined it for her.

Jesus Christ. I don't get it, I honestly don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
who's more revered the monarchy or morrissey

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

bump_fn posted:

who's more revered the monarchy or morrissey

my housemate was a big Morrissey fan too but I never put the washing machine on while she was listening to The Smiths afaik so I can't tell you what she likes best.

she also came crying to me once because some of our middle class housemates didn't know what it was like to come from an economic shithole like Wales and how bad our prospects were compared to theirs. She voted for the Tories.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So'd you guys storm the Bastille or whatever it is you do over there to end oppressive regimes yet?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

foreign policy aside the economist's a little too conservative for my tastes but their covers are usually p good for a laff

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

bedpan posted:

lmao if you actually think the modern conservative voter and/or someone who identifies as a "moderate" or "centrist" is meaningfully changed by this disaster
I don't think the actual fire was enough to bring her down but her response has been a total disaster. The Daily loving Mail is blasting her for it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

when I was in uni, one of my housemates refused to speak to me for a week because I put the washing machine on during Will and Kate's wedding and the noise apparently ruined it for her.
in my defense of the monarchy though i'm operating under the logic that your housemate glued to the storybook happenings of will, kate & the whole fam is relatively benign compared to the celebrity worship toward actual leaders in presidential systems which resulted in the trump fam seizing power.

he's even got the faux-monarchical aesthetic and golden furniture.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

my housemate was a big Morrissey fan too but I never put the washing machine on while she was listening to The Smiths afaik so I can't tell you what she likes best.

she also came crying to me once because some of our middle class housemates didn't know what it was like to come from an economic shithole like Wales and how bad our prospects were compared to theirs. She voted for the Tories.

loving yikes! I'll never get people like that either.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the queen visiting the survivors is what i think a monarch should do: comfort traumatized people after disasters, cut ribbons, look dignified, etc. she's an emblem of the state generally and above the ordinary political divisions. meanwhile the person who is actually in charge eats buckets of poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the queen visiting the survivors is what i think a monarch should do: comfort traumatized people after disasters, cut ribbons, look dignified, etc. she's an emblem of the state generally and above the ordinary political divisions. meanwhile the person who is actually in charge eats buckets of poo poo.

canada has the governor-general who does the same thing and costs several hundred million pounds a year less

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Agnosticnixie posted:

Anglo-canadians are way, way worse than the english about the royal family in general.

See also: Baloogan.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

what if they had sent Camilla to visit the victims instead?

Bolshevik revolution.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
is there a 'eh whatever' crowd for royals, cos idgaf about them really (:c00l: like that you see)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

See also: Baloogan.

i just don't want to change all the coins and poo poo when EII dies, unless its to her apache gunship flying grandson in which case id like coins with attack helicopters on one side and warrior-king whatever-his-name on the other

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
actually going out and smiting is the only way id ever accept a monarch

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Jesus Christ. I don't get it, I honestly don't get it

imagine somebody ran the washing machine while you're trying to watch Wrestlemania

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

The Hon. Jacob Rees-Mogg posted:

It is often said that Her Majesty is the golden thread that binds our nation together, and the key part of that phrase is the word “golden”. Her Majesty is not the cotton thread, or the silver thread, or the woollen thread, she is a golden thread that binds the nation together as one unique, great and noble nation.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

when EII dies,

ahahahahahahhaa

aaaaa

ahaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha. aahahahahhahahaha ahaha. Ell. hahahaha.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

bump_fn posted:

ahahahahahahhaa

also at her ever dying lmao

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what thats normal shorthand for her on the monarchy reddit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loving ell

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like the whole commonwealth could go republican after she dies and Canada would keep her as eternal queen instead.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sorry

fookin' 'ell

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

imagine somebody ran the washing machine while you're trying to watch Wrestlemania

:commissar:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baloogan posted:

hero future beheadedness imo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baloogan posted:

I'd be less contemptuous if you said you'd seen it crudely spray painted on a derelict bathroom wall.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

liz lemon

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Not big into wrestling, but do the TVs in the UK have a hard lock on the volume washing machines aren't that loud

lorn Wayne posted:

also at her ever dying lmao

I always said the day her and Castro are gone, that's the end of days. guess were half way there now

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 04:19 on Jun 17, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Not big into wrestling, but do the TVs in the UK have a hard lock on the volume washing machines aren't that loud

our washing machine was p. loud tbf. It was wedged under one of the kitchen counters so when it vibrated it made the counters vibrate too.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9KJSnd8VzQw

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

so who is going to be the next tory leader

and don't say boris beacuse it's not going to be boris

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
BOJO

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/875665911952416768

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

nationalise me corb'n

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

break-up breakdown posted:

Tory Leader Michael Gove

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oi a jezza nationalized me mobile

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jeremy Hunt.

Confound the voters as they try to recall with Jeremy is the one they like.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

KomradeX posted:

I always said the day her and Castro are gone, that's the end of days. guess were half way there now

Somewhere in Moscow, the aged former General Secretary looks down at a yellowing notepad with the names "Ronald," "Margaret," "John Paul," and "Fidel" already crossed out, and begins to smile as he sees "Elizabeth" next in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Very Little Britain needs a Very Little Man so its going to be Michael Gove.