Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

There's a good bit in that issue that feels very Hastings-y where her dad is describing how cool he is. Still blows my mind that he's "made it", hopefully he keeps on truckin and does some mega event like Gwens of Future Past or something.

He's very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I don't know much about dads, but I'm pretty sure that's a cool dad.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

From JLA: Act of God #3. Every superhero and villain in the world loses their powers, so after two issues of wallowing in self-pity a few heroes train with Batman to create new hero identities.

Formerly Aquaman, King of Atlantis and Lord of the Seas...now...The Hand!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Formerly Batman, now The Parents

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
How do you use a mace to stop crime without straight up killing the criminal?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what is this idiocy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhonne posted:

Aim for their legs?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rhonne posted:

How do you swing a double mace like that around your head without braining yourself?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rhonne posted:

JUSTICE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Mega Man #53

God I miss the Mega Man comic...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Batman: "I must apologize for Justice, she is an idiot. I have purposely trained her wrong, as a joke."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Synthbuttrange posted:

what is this idiocy

I don't know much comics, but I do know that Act of God is pretty bad and basically just an excuse to fawn about how cool Batman is.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Evil Mastermind posted:

From JLA: Act of God #3. Every superhero and villain in the world loses their powers, so after two issues of wallowing in self-pity a few heroes train with Batman to create new hero identities.

He is building a crime-fighting force of extraordinary magnitude!

Unrelated:

(From a Lobo issue, think it's where he's supposed to be protecting some paranoid idiot... in the middle of a last-man-standing deathmatch. IIRC, paranoid idiot manages to be the last man standing.)(Edit: not my scan/image, so i dunno why they didn't do round 3 - more of the same, obviously.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cleretic posted:

I don't know much comics, but I do know that Act of God is pretty bad and basically just an excuse to fawn about how cool Batman is.

For all the talk about how the story is all about how cool Batman is...he doesn't do a lot in it.
Like he talks about how you can still be heroes without powers, he gathers together some to make the Phoenix group. Then he leads them on an attack on the villains (who include a mix of guys like Heatwave, Captain Cold and Metallo and Cyborg Superman. Some of these guys should be more of a threat than others.)

But he's completely absent for the final fight. It's the Phoenix group heroes who we see fight everyone and do all the work. And Batman just shows up at the end to say they've done a good job.
He's like a police captain in an action movie. There to provide the hero direction, but not to fight the bad guys for him/her.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
We call people like that 'hypocrites' last I checked

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

This reads like a bunch of D&D players describing their characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GrandpaPants posted:

This reads like a bunch of D&D players describing their characters.

Right before the DM tells them to roll new, non-terrible characters.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
On the plus side, Aquaman got a power boost. Or is "Ha ha, talking to fish is literally the worst power" not actually applicable anymore? I admit I don't know anything about Aquaman since he grew the beard.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wait, what happened to the other Atlanteans?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dareon posted:

On the plus side, Aquaman got a power boost. Or is "Ha ha, talking to fish is literally the worst power" not actually applicable anymore? I admit I don't know anything about Aquaman since he grew the beard.

He's also almost as physically strong as Superman on dry land, and possibly even stronger when in the water. No one ever remembers that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He's also almost as physically strong as Superman on dry land, and possibly even stronger when in the water. No one ever remembers that.
The only two things people remember about Aquaman is the talking to fish thing and his Rousing Song of Heroism.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm glad they got Jason Momoa to play Arthur in the movie, but it's not gonna be Conan the Atlantean having adventures on the high sea, because it's Visionary Director Zack Snyder. And the standalone movie is directed by the guy who did Saw.

gently caress the DCCU is what I'm saying.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Zack Snyder strikes me as someone who is eminently suited for directing something Conan-esque, though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zack Snyder isn't fit to direct traffic. Also, the guy who did Saw is the guy who did Furious 7 so he's an experienced superhero movie director.

If anything the bigger warning sign is that guy writing it got his script for Justice League scrapped, got his script for Aquaman scrapped, then got rehired to do screenplay treatment on someone else's Aquaman script, and the only released movie he's written for has a (double checks) 31% tomatometer. Weirdly enough he's also the guy who's supposed to be writing the next Conan movie that's totally going to happen any time soon, so maybe you will get Conan the Atlantean..?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

(Action Comics)

Ghostlight posted:

Zack Snyder isn't fit to direct traffic.

The depth and breadth of nerd-dom's grudge against Zack Snyder for making movies they don't like always amazes me. It's George Lucas levels of creepy fixation on an entirely inoffensive author. He already directed the other good Conan movie (300).

Also, lol at denigrating traffic workers.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 17, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please don't trigger Budget SMG

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's not a grudge when his movies aren't very good and a primary contributor to that fact is his inflexibility and poor decision making as a director. Like, sure, 300 is a good movie - a good portion of that is because the direction is taken wholesale from the comic book.

For some reason I thought this was the chat thread before, so here.

[Deadpool #20]

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

Like, sure, 300 is a good movie - a good portion of that is because the direction is taken wholesale from the comic book.

Aside from the fact that it's faithful to the point of basing compositions on individual comic panels, the direction of the movie is not "taken" from the comic (comic books are not directed). It's rather obvious from things like how scenes, action, and dialogue play out. One example is how the comic at points indulges in empty negative space that has a coldly calming effect, while in the movie this aspect is completely absent.

Here's a 300 funny to get away from the derail:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Breetai posted:

How do you swing a double mace like that around your head without braining yourself?

The Question IRL posted:

For all the talk about how the story is all about how cool Batman is...he doesn't do a lot in it.
Like he talks about how you can still be heroes without powers, he gathers together some to make the Phoenix group. Then he leads them on an attack on the villains (who include a mix of guys like Heatwave, Captain Cold and Metallo and Cyborg Superman. Some of these guys should be more of a threat than others.)
Minor correction: Batman doesn't assemble the group, they go to him for training, then he sends them out on their first mission which is the one that fixes everything.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Wait, what happened to the other Atlanteans?
Arthur has one panel at the beginning saying "I can't contact Atlantis", then they're never mentioned again. For all we know they're all dead.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Those "heroes all lose their powers" stories drive me crazy. The flash has super powers, he is super fast. The Martian Manhunter doesn't, those are just things martians do. Like shouldn't monkeys start falling from trees because they lost their tree swinging powers, or fish all dying because they lost their super ability to breathe underwater?

Also how long did it take them all to become peerless martial artists, and is anybody else bothered by them giving the Flash a trident when Aquaman is right there? I mean Aquaman is PROBABLY already proficient with a trident, why not give him a trident AND a robot hand?

WaywardWoodwose fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 17, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Those "heroes all lose their powers" stories drive me crazy. The flash has super powers, he is super fast. The martian manhunter doesn't, those are just things martians do. Like shouldnt monkeys start falling from trees because they lost their tree swinging powers, or fish all dying because they lost their super ability to breathe underwater?

Is there anything special about the Martian Manhunter when compared to other Martians, other than not being dead? Is he just another Martian, or is he particularly good at Martianing?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't Wonder Woman become Catholic in that comic?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, mm got his powers from a MARTIAN BLOOD MAGIC RITUAL

i dunno if that was in continuity prior to that batman story, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Those "heroes all lose their powers" stories drive me crazy. The flash has super powers, he is super fast. The Martian Manhunter doesn't, those are just things martians do. Like shouldn't monkeys start falling from trees because they lost their tree swinging powers, or fish all dying because they lost their super ability to breathe underwater?
The best one is that Kyle's ring stops working, and Atom loses his shrinking powers (:ssh: both their powers comes from devices).

prefect posted:

Is there anything special about the Martian Manhunter when compared to other Martians, other than not being dead? Is he just another Martian, or is he particularly good at Martianing?
Everything J'onn does is natural Martian abilities. If there were any other martians still around, they'd all have the shapeshipfting, heat vision, and telepathy.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Doesn't Wonder Woman become Catholic in that comic?

Yup! Then when God doesn't answer, she almost commits suicide while pregnant with Clark's son!

Trust me, I could go on. I don't think I've ever hated a comic as much as Act of God. It's like this amazing stupidity fractal where every time you re-read it or think about it critically you discover another dumb idea or plot hole.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Was there not something in the series that hinted at how the Spectre might have been responsible for it all?

Personally the Elseworld I hated the most from the same time period was the one where all the males on the planet (Apart from Superman and Lex Luthor die.)
And rather than analyse the massive shift this would have on society or the PTSD that everyone would have or even hint at the idea that we might see a same sex relationship....the story becomes about Lex Luthor being a MRA and that the children of the world need a male influence.

Oh and Superman leaves behind a bucket of Supersperm to repopulate the world, with no heed given to the fact that it means everyone is going to be half brothers and half sisters.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Question IRL posted:

Oh and Superman leaves behind a bucket of Supersperm to repopulate the world, with no heed given to the fact that it means everyone is going to be half brothers and half sisters.

Or the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" problem.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Aside from the fact that it's faithful to the point of basing compositions on individual comic panels, the direction of the movie is not "taken" from the comic (comic books are not directed). It's rather obvious from things like how scenes, action, and dialogue play out. One example is how the comic at points indulges in empty negative space that has a coldly calming effect, while in the movie this aspect is completely absent.

Here's a 300 funny to get away from the derail:

The Achaemenids sure look boring for modern audiences...

I know! Let's give them more piercings than a Hot Topic HQ, more mascara than a Depp pirate, subtly racist "exotic" trappings to make them otherworldly, ridiculous clothing that seems to be mostly made of gold to show off how rich and depraved they are, a bunch of slaves so they're enemies of ARE FREEDOM, a stupid religious overtone that is the opposite of what was historically present... :bahgawd:

I'll stop ranting, been listening to Dan Carlin's podcast series on the Achaemenid Empire , highly recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

What an utter shitshow of a comic. Though, I just noticed how much Mope Clark looks like Razor Ramon since they kept him with the spitcurl. So that's pretty cool.