Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

extremebuff posted:

theres no grinding. 80% of your experience is from quests and key actions (blowing up monster nests, killing big baddies) and you also literally find skillpoints as you explore. if you consider exploring and doing witcher contracts grinding idk what to tell you

e: oh yospos of course

oh

ive been playing it all wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

oh

ive been playing it all wrong

something like six of the ?s on each map are basically "here's a free skill point, enjoy."

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Lmfao at your avatar

It's cool

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Can you change difficulty once you start? I got thru some of the opening stuff the other day without seeing much combat

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Can you change difficulty once you start? I got thru some of the opening stuff the other day without seeing much combat

yah you can change it whenever you want

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

your potions regenerate when you rest with a little alcohol, so feel free to chug your foul witcher drugs whenever you please.

also your bombs

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

be careful with using whatever liqour though theres some liqour you need to make potions and the game usually auto picks i think? i remember one of the most common potion liqours would get autoquaffed on resting

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Buy all the gwent cards you can. Even early on at the expense of other things you think you need.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

be careful with using whatever liqour though theres some liqour you need to make potions and the game usually auto picks i think? i remember one of the most common potion liqours would get autoquaffed on resting

its not an issue the game is constantly giving you common beers

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have more dwarven spirits than Jesus has water

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

for a game like this with a billion crafting materials its surprising that its intuitive and organic. missing that one herb for a formula? just go to an herbalist. got a new recipe and it needs a whole bunch of poo poo-all of which i already have cause ive been raiding every house and box stack i see

materials can be combined in ways that are logical and easy (2x silver -> silver chunk2x -> silver ingot etc.) and you pretty much almost never have to stop and think about this poo poo. just explore. loot. skins? why would skins be used in alchemy? let me just sell those. sell-only stuff is all filed under junk etc. they went to great lengths to idiot proof some pretty heavy crafting elements

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

this isn't exactly a big secret tip or anything but make sure to use your sword oils

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I never used sword oils.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

I never used sword oils.

vaginal facsimile posted:

Disagreed, normal is fine.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

:troll:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

try to hunt down witcher armors, they're badass and upgrading them every ten levels is a noticeable power jump and they continually get visual upgrades as well.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I saw someone was asking for a quick beginner's tip for this game, and I have some pretty good ones:

-Make SURE that you gather as many Ghoul Snouts as you can before completing the Black Knight's Challenge side quest- if you have less than thirty on your person, you'll be locked out of the quest's REAL ending
-If you find any letters, books, Lore material etc. DO NOT READ THEM! You'll get a silver achievement at the end of the game if you don't read anything
-When the QTE to kill your father at the end of the first act comes up, don't do it immediately, wait for him to finish speaking. Makes the scene a lot more emotional and tense
-When you get to the Aurora Valley region part way through act 2 you'll find three griffons in a canyon immediately to the south, a red, green, and yellow one. Kill them in the following order- Green-Yellow-Red. You will be immediately transported to the final boss and skip the bulk of the game entirely.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

extremebuff posted:

for a game like this with a billion crafting materials its surprising that its intuitive and organic. missing that one herb for a formula? just go to an herbalist. got a new recipe and it needs a whole bunch of poo poo-all of which i already have cause ive been raiding every house and box stack i see

materials can be combined in ways that are logical and easy (2x silver -> silver chunk2x -> silver ingot etc.) and you pretty much almost never have to stop and think about this poo poo. just explore. loot. skins? why would skins be used in alchemy? let me just sell those. sell-only stuff is all filed under junk etc. they went to great lengths to idiot proof some pretty heavy crafting elements

It gets just a little bit tedious at the absolute very, very end getting cured draconid leather and like two other things if you aren't paying a ton of attention, and you have to buy cordials once in awhile, but yeah, if you just do quests and loot everything you find, you tend to be fine for leveling, fine for cash, and you get all the diagrams you need and can pretty reliably make every potion, bomb, weapon and armor you want.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I saw someone was asking for a quick beginner's tip for this game, and I have some pretty good ones:

-Make SURE that you gather as many Ghoul Snouts as you can before completing the Black Knight's Challenge side quest- if you have less than thirty on your person, you'll be locked out of the quest's REAL ending
-If you find any letters, books, Lore material etc. DO NOT READ THEM! You'll get a silver achievement at the end of the game if you don't read anything
-When the QTE to kill your father at the end of the first act comes up, don't do it immediately, wait for him to finish speaking. Makes the scene a lot more emotional and tense
-When you get to the Aurora Valley region part way through act 2 you'll find three griffons in a canyon immediately to the south, a red, green, and yellow one. Kill them in the following order- Green-Yellow-Red. You will be immediately transported to the final boss and skip the bulk of the game entirely.

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Lumpy the Cook posted:

uhhh spoil this dude these are PRO witcher tips

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzCeQVoal0

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the gargoyle stomp is some ol bullshit

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is this gonna be like witcher 1 where I could gently caress anyone and triss or y-whatever didn't care

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yes, with one exception, if you tell both yen and triss you love them they'll be unamused

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is this gonna be like witcher 1 where I could gently caress anyone and triss or y-whatever didn't care

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

u gotta collect all the trading cards

Because wimin are objects u see

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Die.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

u gotta collect all the trading cards

Because wimin are objects u see

shut the gently caress up

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

drat you will straight up miss out on poo poo if you're not paying attention.

theres a certain quest early on where you need to help with a ghost problem. you talk to the ghost, and they ask you to do them a favor. my first run, something was obviously up so i refused and a boss fight ensued, then it started this whole other chain of events that lead to more exposition and rewards.

this time, i decided to just trust the ghost to see what would happen. she murders a dude, quest completed. no boss, no more story, no follow-up quest, just, you did it geralt! :/

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

th ghost also causes a plague that kills a shitload of people. nice goin geralt

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

never trust monsters

except trolls, they own

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

th ghost also causes a plague that kills a shitload of people. nice goin geralt

like half the quests Geralt's options choices are something like "shoot a dog in the head in front of a kid, or a leshen will chug the kid's brains in front of his mother" and at the end, either way, he clears his throat until they stop weeping long enough to hand him his coins so he can ride away and gently caress his next sorceress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The confessions thread got archived so I may as well say it here, I bought the TW3 strategy guide just for its Gwent section.

• Locked thread