Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eezee posted:

If you don't actually play Standard why not run it? It's not likely you are gonna get another one any time soon.

I dunno! That's why I'm asking!!

How does atlas completion work, anyway? Once the league ends, it grafts onto my (non-existant) standard atlas? Or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm lvling a Bow Ranger right now and while mob clearing is just fine with Lightning Arrow, my single target damage against big monsters bosses is leaving a lot to be desired, am I supposed to use Frenzy or Burning Arrow, or something else?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If you're investing in Frenzy Charges I'd go Frenzy, otherwise Burning Arrow. Higher base damage, innate change to ignite. vvv How the hell did I forget Barrage? Yeah, do that instead

Side note: back before 2.4.0 what you could do is drop a couple of Frost Walls in front of your target and just spam the poo poo out of it with Lightning Arrow. LA would hit the wall, then the sub-projectiles would hit your target. With 100% Pierce each FW you hit would triple amount of projectiles spawned. With that patch though your projectiles no longer interact with your own FWs, so :rip: that setup.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 16, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

You're supposed to use Barrage. Burning Arrow goes up to 184% base damage, Frenzy is around 130%, and Barrage is over 240%. Barrage also scales ridiculously with extra projectiles.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

thanks, I managed to get a Deaths Harp like this guide told me so that sounds quite nice

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

silvergoose posted:

How does atlas completion work, anyway? Once the league ends, it grafts onto my (non-existant) standard atlas? Or what?

yes

I was in the same situation as you and ran it, but I did it because I thought it had a Perandus Archive in it (it doesn't it has a Cadiro Archive, which is the same thing but it doesn't count for the challenge)

now I would sell it to get currency to buy the challenge :shobon:

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Don't have a mic right now, and apparently that's required to join the Discord, so if anyone's free would they mind inviting Flokipoki to the guild?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gejimayu posted:

Don't have a mic right now, and apparently that's required to join the Discord, so if anyone's free would they mind inviting Flokipoki to the guild?

A mic is absolutely not required to chat in discord, but I'll try to get to it when I get home if no on else has.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Gejimayu posted:

The voice channels are the only thing that show up until you register with Goonbot. Type !authme Gejimayu and follow the directions.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will there be any changes to Scion in 3.0 or is that character just going to basically not exist still?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

They updated some of the ascendancies, and the Path of the <class> nodes also grant 2 passive points, but nothing really OMG MUST PLAY.

Reddit post highlighting the changes because GGG couldn't be arsed to.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Lechtansi posted:

The voice channels are the only thing that show up until you register with Goonbot. Type !authme Gejimayu and follow the directions.

Thanks. Is anyone on the legacy league or is everyone doing 3.0 beta?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Finished up with the 1 week race, it was fun. I don't think I'll be doing it again any time soon though, took a bit much of my time. It was my first time playing HC (not counting 1 hour races anyway) so I was kinda nervous, but although I died once at level 43 while leveling I ended up doing fine, mostly thanks to just running the tankiest build around (fun fact, I ended up with negative movement speed with Lioneye's Remorse and no movespeed on any item + no quicksilver, although Leap Slam was still fast with all the %AS I had). With 78% Block and Spellblock it was surprisingly easy given I just stuck to T6 - 8 maps. I even ran Ashen Wood with Beyond + Nemesis + Breach and never got close to dying. After reaching 85 which was my goal, I went and did normal Atziri just to see if I could and it was surprisingly easy, the second boss was way tougher than Atziri herself. I might have done more runs for fun if getting the fragments wasn't such a pain, but as it is I'll just stop while on top. Sadly never finished more than like one map trial so I don't have the chance to try Uberlab.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Insurrectionist/characters was playing on the Gladiator, includes a beautiful blue jewel I got at like level 48 so I had enough int for my gems and never bothered replacing. Also Atziri flasks rather than Granite/Basalt.

Being a Bad Player who usually dies about 100 times just leveling to maps and whose usual mapping routine is basically just running the toughest poo poo that I don't die enough times to that I lose all my portals, I feel confident saying that everyone can in fact play HC successfully as long as they're willing to play slow and defensively and give up tasty damage and movespeed for more tankiness. I wasn't even that good at looking for Volatiles and missed a good 10% of them I'd say (doesn't help I was playing true melee) and still only had one scare from them, all the others just tickled. I was also surprised that even with -57% chaos res and no Amethyst Flask or even Poison removal, Chaos damage was completely trivial up to T8 and never felt threatening at all, the closest it got to being dangerous was the Quarry boss (that's Chaos damage right?).

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

whypick1 posted:

They updated some of the ascendancies, and the Path of the <class> nodes also grant 2 passive points, but nothing really OMG MUST PLAY.

Reddit post highlighting the changes because GGG couldn't be arsed to.

You did notice that it was posted nearly four weeks ago right? (It was posted in this thread 17 pages ago is what I'm getting at.)

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Valle posted:

You did notice that it was posted nearly four weeks ago right? (It was posted in this thread 17 pages ago is what I'm getting at.)

I had the same initial reaction before I realised they were very helpfully answering the immediate post before them

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That 2 week Mayhem race looks really good. It's a void league so you know it's going to poo poo loot everywhere. Shame that it's next week though.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Stangg posted:

I had the same initial reaction before I realised they were very helpfully answering the immediate post before them

Right, that makes sense. I read the post a bit wrong and didn't make the connection. Oops!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Did I gently caress up on my defenses while building this character? I feel like I should have more life.

I'm starting Act 1 on Cruel right now and everything feels more deadly

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Your resists take a hit as you go to cruel and then into merciless, on top of things doing more damage. so yeah, things got more deadly

feels like enough life for where you are, just kill things before they hit you imo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

over 1k isnt bad for a1c

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Level 44 feels high for a1c. Life seems fine, I usually have closer to 1k and hella worse resists. Just kill the monsters before they hit you.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Haven't been following beta much, does it look like you can still scale low damage weapons to endgame similar to added chaos/poison/etc before?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Haven't been following beta much, does it look like you can still scale low damage weapons to endgame similar to added chaos/poison/etc before?

Nope

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

After trying out templar, marauder, duelist and finally ranger I've definitely liked playing Ranger more, it feels more interesting/tense to play since you don't have as much life.

Kinda just want to wait for 3.0 now though, but buying that Oriath Supporter pack sounds tempting, if only to have points to buy a currency/essence/divination stash :v:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

How does Bino's poison proliferate work?

Would stacking poison damage on one enemy and letting it proliferate remove the need for Melee Splash?

edit: Beta, not live.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 18, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Started on beta, someone invite me on the beta guild: Meat_HoA

Alternatively, if the guild is full, someone friend me and gimme some 2H melee levelling gear please, wanna test this EQ prolif idea before the wipe.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Thanks a ton Monkey.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

No worries. I've stopped playing until after the wipe anyway. Might as well dump my currency on somebody who is still playing.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

redneck nazgul posted:

How does Bino's poison proliferate work?

Would stacking poison damage on one enemy and letting it proliferate remove the need for Melee Splash?

edit: Beta, not live.

It's stackable, but only the largest poison from each monster will be proliferated. So it really depends how you're built

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So I decided to get back into PoE. 3-4 years since last time I played. I've forgotten mostly everything, though. Is there somewhere I can read what's changed since then?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Do you ever get more than one page of inventory space on your character?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Datasmurf posted:

So I decided to get back into PoE. 3-4 years since last time I played. I've forgotten mostly everything, though. Is there somewhere I can read what's changed since then?

There is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much that's changed to tl;dr for you. This is the closest you'll get.

Oh, and 3.0 is coming out this summer. Reworks a bunch of mechanics, gets us 10 acts/no difficulties.

Justin_Brett posted:

Do you ever get more than one page of inventory space on your character?

No

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cool, Ribbons and Blackguards fight each other, that was overdue considering how it fit into the lore.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Phobophilia posted:

Cool, Ribbons and Blackguards fight each other, that was overdue considering how it fit into the lore.

I remember that being in for like a week, in the battlegrounds, and I really enjoyed it, and then it was patched out. I was super confused.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jean Eric Burn posted:

alternative answer: Doomfletch's Prism is a low damage weapon, so yes :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Phobophilia posted:

I've got two ideas for a build in beta. One is an earthquake herald of ash ignite proliferator (I loving loved those builds back in Rampage league), which has a nice synergy because the first hit can redline some enemies and the aftershock finishes them off with a stupidly high overkill. It also sounds like something that works nice with the new Emberwake,

RIP the very concept of this build. It turns out that Herald of Ash confer a burn on enemies based on overkill damage, not an ignite. Should have read the description in more detail, even after I noticed that it no longer scaled with the overkill. That means it can't proliferate it, which kills the idea of the build. And half the new support gems support ailments, not simply damage over time.

Maybe they were too afraid of the overkill damage effectively behaving like a double dip (a huge initial hit causing a huge ignite).

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Anyone able to reinvite me? FiveDollarHotNReady was my legacy pizza totem guy

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

RIP the very concept of this build. It turns out that Herald of Ash confer a burn on enemies based on overkill damage, not an ignite. Should have read the description in more detail, even after I noticed that it no longer scaled with the overkill. That means it can't proliferate it, which kills the idea of the build. And half the new support gems support ailments, not simply damage over time.

Maybe they were too afraid of the overkill damage effectively behaving like a double dip (a huge initial hit causing a huge ignite).
Looks like another change, HoA ignites in 2.6.

This looks to finally kill the last iteration of wormblaster that used prolif HoA overkill on worms (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzuhVOivxNE) (though GS was the real thing there)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this Labyrinth bullshit is making me want to ragequit this game holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Get good or ask for a carry, imo

• Locked thread