Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HPanda posted:

You can also hide at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

And jump off... and live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And jump off... and live!

The Saboteur also has a button dedicated to letting you nonchalantly smoke a cigarette as I recall

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Don't think it was a dedicated button but if you stood still for more than like 2 seconds he'd start chain smoking.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jehde posted:

Don't think it was a dedicated button but if you stood still for more than like 2 seconds he'd start chain smoking.

Nope! It was a dedicated button. I didn't believe it at first but someone pointed it out in an LP thread and I had to try it for myself. I think on consoles its pressing the left or right stick. On PC its something like Shift or E.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Speaking of smoking, Vanquish also has a button for smoking cigarettes and then tossing them away. It's pretty useful actually since the enemies will draw their fire away from you and focus on the lit cigarette you just tossed out.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've been watching an LP of Devil's Third. It's not good but the if you idle for longer than 3 seconds your guy lights up and if you let him finish the lighting up animation and start molding the cig stays lit in his mouth

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

wafflemoose posted:

Speaking of smoking, Vanquish also has a button for smoking cigarettes and then tossing them away. It's pretty useful actually since the enemies will draw their fire away from you and focus on the lit cigarette you just tossed out.

Playing it recently I noticed that Sam does it in a cutscene. It's a clue that it can be done but I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in the game documentation.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

TheMostFrench posted:

Playing it recently I noticed that Sam does it in a cutscene. It's a clue that it can be done but I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in the game documentation.

One of the loading hints tells you about it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My favorite "smoking in games" detail is STILL that Snake can use cigarettes to steady his aim when scoped.

But that's not why it's so good: he smuggled them into Shadow Moses via a plastic baggy in his stomach to smoke them.

Shadow Moses is a wintery island very obviously far away from where he would have had his smokes confiscated, so we're talking many, many hours later.

Snake had to have shat a condom with cigarettes in it, or at best thrown up loose cigarettes in a condom, in order to get his cigs with him.

And it's made all the better because he's still smoking cigarettes instead of what Big Boss used: cigars. Easier to smuggle in a less smoking-inclusive era!

Only Kojima or Suda or Swery would think of that batshit detail to include as to why the protag had cigarettes at the start of a mission.

"Nah, not smuggling it in through a bag or sewing it into his clothes... must have been done through literally ingesting and making GBS threads/regurgitating cigarettes for his nicotine fix. Because it helps him aim a sniper rifle. It's practical." :allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think snake ever mentions the benefits of it, its something people discovered later.

Dude just really wanted his nicotine.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think snake ever mentions the benefits of it, its something people discovered later.
I knew since MG1 that cigarette smoke reveals laser tripwires, but I didn't know that smoking also slows down the self-destruct countdown.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In the Phantom Pain Big Boss has upgraded his cigar to an e-cig. At one point he's given a peace pipe to smoke and coughs and splutters, foreshadowing the end game reveal that he's not big boss and can't smoke properly

Also the crowd chant in Super Smash Bros when you're winning as snake is "Snake, Snake! Snaaaaaaaake!"

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the crowd chant in Super Smash Bros when you're winning as snake is "Snake, Snake! Snaaaaaaaake!"

I never played Brawl so I had to Google it, here's a link for anyone else who hasn't.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

thecluckmeme posted:

My favorite "smoking in games" detail is STILL that Snake can use cigarettes to steady his aim when scoped.

I just played that fight yesterday and I'm convinced this a false rumor, at least in MGS1. I was vibrating all over and no one mentions the benefit in the codec.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's not a myth. But the effect is heavily placebo.

It's not that the camera shakes any less, it's that you've steeled your nerves by looking like a badass in a video game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Less a small thing, more a "thank christ the IP will survive now" thing:

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/875684213231689731

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

But that's not why it's so good: he smuggled them into Shadow Moses via a plastic baggy in his stomach to smoke them.

Shadow Moses is a wintery island very obviously far away from where he would have had his smokes confiscated, so we're talking many, many hours later.

Snake had to have shat a condom with cigarettes in it, or at best thrown up loose cigarettes in a condom, in order to get his cigs with him.

And it's made all the better because he's still smoking cigarettes instead of what Big Boss used: cigars. Easier to smuggle in a less smoking-inclusive era!

Only Kojima or Suda or Swery would think of that batshit detail to include as to why the protag had cigarettes at the start of a mission.

"Nah, not smuggling it in through a bag or sewing it into his clothes... must have been done through literally ingesting and making GBS threads/regurgitating cigarettes for his nicotine fix. Because it helps him aim a sniper rifle. It's practical." :allears:

He says he was able to do it because the doctor lady gave him a shot to suppress his stomach acids.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That whole set up is kind of dumb because cigarettes break really easily. Just having them in his pocket would have sufficed. :confused:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

suuma posted:

That whole set up is kind of dumb because cigarettes break really easily. Just having them in his pocket would have sufficed. :confused:

It's to character when it comes to Snake.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

poptart_fairy posted:

Less a small thing, more a "thank christ the IP will survive now" thing:

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/875684213231689731

OH MY GOOOOOODDDDDDDDD.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Drunken Baker posted:

OH MY GOOOOOODDDDDDDDD.

a ray of light in these dark dark times

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not really sure what to call it but I love this fake out/ flicker kick thing that pops up every now and then in games.

http://i.imgur.com/MXaQab2.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/IsuoS2u.mp4

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not really sure what to call it but I love this fake out/ flicker kick thing that pops up every now and then in games.

If you're looking for more of it, I think the technical name is a feint for TKD and the like. Usually real-life examples aren't as fluid or else involve switching legs after the feint. Interrupting your momentum like this only to still have a super strong hit is way more badass :rock:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

suuma posted:

The point was that he wasn't supposed to bring anything with him for plausible deniability.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

The point was that he wasn't supposed to bring anything with him for plausible deniability.

Yeah, the point of the general MGS mission profile with on-site procurement is you leave no evidence beyond maybe your own corpse in a generic jumpsuit. The general idea being all you need to is kill/capture a lone guard and you're set for what you'd bring in anyway.

For example, using MGS3, if someone came through afterwards and found NATO/US ammo casings after Snake had left there would be BIG questions about how an American got there. Guys murdered by the dozens using Russian weapons though? Could've been anything, everything used came from onsite and there are no fingerprints :iiam:.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Kingdom Hearts I'll always love that of the main three Goofy is the smartest one. He's the one in Kingdom Hearts 2 that makes connections without being explicitly told after all - first that if all Hearts were full of light then Heartless would likely stop spawning, a valid if pointless assertion, but also he's the only one not fooled by Mulan's disguise, he thinks to use the computer to bring up info on Nobodies, although it's corrupted which is not his fault, and he realises that with the creation of Heartless!Ansem that there must be a nobody as well before Mickey confirms it. Goofy as dogs go is a Very Good Boy!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
MGS3 gives you a pistol from the beginning in both missions iirc. The Boss breaks your starting pistol during Operation Snake Eater and EVA gives you a new pistol once you make contact with her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Virtuous Mission had the MK22, but only because it was an experimental weapon that doesn't use NATO ordinance. By Operation Snake Eater the whole American in Russia thing was blown to poo poo by the Boss, and Khruschev himself knew and unofficially endorsed FOX's presence, so there was no real reason to not bring the good stuff.

Fun fact: EVA got the MK22 back to Snake because after he got dunked off the bridge, the Russians recovered it and sent it to Groznyj Grad to be reverse engineered. Eva re-stole it and gave it to Snake at Sokolov's peein' shed :goonsay:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Weirdest example of OSP I saw was The Divison - while it was intended as "don't rely on any munitions or technical support coming from us", it came across as the American government being unable to pony up for an American gun, on American soil, for use by American agents against American factions.

:psyduck:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Danaru posted:

Virtuous Mission had the MK22, but only because it was an experimental weapon that doesn't use NATO ordinance. By Operation Snake Eater the whole American in Russia thing was blown to poo poo by the Boss, and Khruschev himself knew and unofficially endorsed FOX's presence, so there was no real reason to not bring the good stuff.

Fun fact: EVA got the MK22 back to Snake because after he got dunked off the bridge, the Russians recovered it and sent it to Groznyj Grad to be reverse engineered. Eva re-stole it and gave it to Snake at Sokolov's peein' shed :goonsay:

i'm still getting partial credit :colbert:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

MGS3 gives you a pistol from the beginning in both missions iirc. The Boss breaks your starting pistol during Operation Snake Eater and EVA gives you a new pistol once you make contact with her.

The dialogue even mentions that you're taking a .45 in this time because Kruschev has unofficially sanctioned the mission, so you're going to leave a little evidence to show it was the Americans who were responsible. Quite how that works when there are several US weapons at the facility and every other guard is carrying ammo for them, not to mention Ocelot aquires four Colt SAAs that haven't been military issue for sixty years by this point... Kojima.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Weirdest example of OSP I saw was The Divison - while it was intended as "don't rely on any munitions or technical support coming from us", it came across as the American government being unable to pony up for an American gun, on American soil, for use by American agents against American factions.

:psyduck:

There's a reason for that though, the US has basically collapsed by the point the game starts and IS unable to provide effectice resupply but it's really bad at getting that fact across during cutscenes etc so you have to get all the colletibles and not miss any of the in-mission dialogue to pick up on it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Biplane posted:

There's a reason for that though, the US has basically collapsed by the point the game starts and IS unable to provide effectice resupply but it's really bad at getting that fact across during cutscenes etc so you have to get all the colletibles and not miss any of the in-mission dialogue to pick up on it.

Oh yeah, I get that but it WAS poorly communicated how hosed the government itself was. :v:

I think even the matter of the US leadership going dark was glossed over in, what, a single line or so? There was a great plot in there somewhere, you just really had to dig.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
picked up Uncharted 4 as it was on sale, I haven't played any of the previous ones. The chapter early on where you're in his attic shooting ping pong balls was the most :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wasn't big on Dragon Age but one thing I liked was that they actually addressed the whole "why are people still charging for weapons and items in the middle of a siege where they're in obvious mortal peril and I'm the one saving their bacon" thing endemic to RPGs by having the final shopkeep in the middle of the climactic attack bethe autistic savant weapons enchanter who can barely even speak.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I got Hollow Knight and this game is pretty drat fun. When you die you have to find your soul at the location of your death and fight it to regain your magic pool and your money back. What's cool is your spirit grows strong with you as you play the game. So if you're gaining more health your soul will take more hits and if you've learned a new ability it will use it against you.

I just learned a ground pound attack and when I went to get my soul back that fucker ground pounded me. Surprised the poo poo out of me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just found out almost 40 hours into GOTY 2017 Nier Automata that I can fist bump Pod.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

I've only heard of it called a Brazilian kick. Here, have an annoying video of a guy that fights in real life like a Tekken character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFSaLhHo8o

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Robbing someone by punching their money out of them is my new favorite little thing in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Stuntman posted:

Robbing someone by punching their money out of them...new

BARF!