Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In Canada all the big grocery chains have been merging but keeping their branding. So it will look like your town has like 7 different supermarket chains but there's 2 owners. Then again that's just the end-game of any capitalist system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Raylen posted:

Not sure what thread this should go in but Amazon buying Whole Foods is kind of hilarious. They really want to get their cashier-free stores going with this acquisition.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-whole-foods-20170616-story.html

drone delivered asparagus water :capitalism:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Baronjutter posted:

In Canada all the big grocery chains have been merging but keeping their branding. So it will look like your town has like 7 different supermarket chains but there's 2 owners. Then again that's just the end-game of any capitalist system.

It's similar in the US. Safeway has been buying local chains for a while, but they keep the original name. It's the smart move since people usually have the local grocer they trust, and would maybe turn away from the national chain name.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's similar in the US. Safeway has been buying local chains for a while, but they keep the original name. It's the smart move since people usually have the local grocer they trust, and would maybe turn away from the national chain name.

Nah they've been changing the names too. They recently bought up a local chain here and rebranded as "Safeway Community Market" lmao.

Which is a shame since Safeway is terrible store almost all around. Hideously overpriced produce ($2-3 for a single bell pepper? yeah ok) that's often on the verge of being wilted or bad. They understaff and overwork their employees. Customer service desk is closed like most of the day despite hours indicating otherwise and almost no staffing at all in the store except the 1 cashier and 1 guy watching the 8 self-checkouts of which half are always broken and it's just a disaster.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Whole Foods is overpriced garbage from a company that hypes GMO fears so maybe the Amazon acquisition will help things.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Whole Foods is overpriced garbage from a company that hypes GMO fears so maybe the Amazon acquisition will help things.

Whole Foods is strange in that it's generally overpriced but their 365 product line items are (sadly) often among the cheapest options in my area. However Whole Foods fresh produce is super-overpriced so I don't see how this acquisition helps Amazon in the area where grocery stores maintain a large advantage over online shopping. I guess we'll see!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Peachfart posted:

Yeah the founder/owner even said in some interviews he totally doesn't buy into "organic" or "GMO Free" but idiot yuppies and hippies eat that poo poo up and make him rich so lollll

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Nocturtle posted:

Whole Foods is strange in that it's generally overpriced but their 365 product line items are (sadly) often among the cheapest options in my area. However Whole Foods fresh produce is super-overpriced so I don't see how this acquisition helps Amazon in the area where grocery stores maintain a large advantage over online shopping. I guess we'll see!

My local Whole is reasonably priced on fruit/veg, highly competitive on dairy products, and expensive on meat. I live in an area with a lot of ag/dairy and a lot of that is organic, although my whole will also stock non organic if it's local. I suspect the pricing at a Whole is massively dependant upon local availability which seems... Not necessarily bad?

I'm guessing part of what Amazon is getting is access to produce suppliers and an established network of locations to install the Amazon pickup spots where people who use Amazon are likely to shop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raylen posted:

Not sure what thread this should go in but Amazon buying Whole Foods is kind of hilarious. They really want to get their cashier-free stores going with this acquisition.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-whole-foods-20170616-story.html

Amazon is killing saving brick and mortar! :argh:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

In Oregon it's absolutely crazy how many people treat Fred Meyer as local even though it's been owned by Kroger for most of my lifetime.

Xaris posted:

Nah they've been changing the names too. They recently bought up a local chain here and rebranded as "Safeway Community Market" lmao.

Which is a shame since Safeway is terrible store almost all around. Hideously overpriced produce ($2-3 for a single bell pepper? yeah ok) that's often on the verge of being wilted or bad. They understaff and overwork their employees. Customer service desk is closed like most of the day despite hours indicating otherwise and almost no staffing at all in the store except the 1 cashier and 1 guy watching the 8 self-checkouts of which half are always broken and it's just a disaster.

They also allegedly did some really shady poo poo with the stores they had to unloaded as part of their acquisition of Albertsons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haha holy poo poo Amazon
"Amazon granted a patent that prevents in-store shoppers from online price checking"
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15812986/amazon-patent-online-price-checking

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Haha holy poo poo Amazon
"Amazon granted a patent that prevents in-store shoppers from online price checking"

I thought stores already did this is you used their in-store wifi (which is what this patent covers).

Coinicentally, whenever I'm at my local Lowes and try to check pricing at Home Depot, the website frequently times out :tinfoil:

Also, very clever of Amazon to patent this and then not allow anyone to license it so no one can implement the technology to block price checking.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Haha holy poo poo Amazon

So it only works if you choose to use store wifi, and it's clearly got a bunch of prior art and obviousness which will destroy it if anyone ever challenges the patent. Not really a big deal.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

wateroverfire posted:

In some cases they overlook it because expats are a separate and exotic species whose ways are not like those of civilized folk and in other cases they make them get in line or get fired, I imagine.

That's more or less the way it works here in Chile, anyway. Though working exactly the hours and duties in your contract and absolutely nothing else because gently caress you is pretty much The Culture here to begin with.

That is why I like being an English teacher here! I get to hang out in all the big companies but can still act like a mochilero! :)

But yeah, the work hours here are confusing, because people work so many hours, but things go so slowly.

Especially in retail, its weird to think I've gotten used to thinking of a 5 person line as being a short line. And the grocery stores close at 10 PM. All of these work hours, but still things are so inefficient.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was in a Sears Grand store last weekend and there were a grand total of 30 cars in the parking lot mid-day Saturday.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
For some flipping reason my metro area is a hotly contested grocery market, by the end of this year we are supposed to have two Wegmans, some Publix, more Aldis than I can shake a stick at, and also at least three Lidl (Lidls? Lidlen?). It's completely insane how hypercompetitive the grocery market is, as one of the last few retail sectors still totally dominated by brick and mortar.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Still havent paid for gas for like 3 years thanks to Giant Eagle fuelperks.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Lote posted:

Interestingly, Target, Costco, Walmart and other grocery stores are getting crushed in the stock market today.
I'd think Costco and Wal-Mart should be among the less-worried chains since they're largely competing on price, it's the mid-level grocers that have nowhere to go if Amazon can get Whole Foods' prices down.

Maybe the bigger problem though is that if this is Amazon's foot in the door of brick-and-mortar sales, then it might expand into other categories..

Baronjutter posted:

Haha holy poo poo Amazon
In 5 years everyone that shops at Whole Foods is going to have an unlimited high-speed mobile data plan so I'm not sure why they're bothering.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

In 5 years everyone that shops at Whole Foods is going to have an unlimited high-speed mobile data plan so I'm not sure why they're bothering.

Seriously.....why would I use store wifi? Data is relatively cheap and I'm not watching 4k movies on my phone while shopping.

(and the only time I shop at Whole Foods is when I'm on an expense account so IDGAF)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Do people try on frames/lenses in the store and then go order them online? I would never trust to order something like that online without being able to try them on first.

I did order some safety glasses for work online, they're generally fine, but a little tight. I put up with it because I only need them every once in a while, but something I had to wear for 16 hours a day, no way.

It's actually becoming a trend that in really big markets they are opening a physical store to try on frames. If LC was smart they would partnerwith an online chain so people could come into our store to try on the glasses, but then prefer them online and LC gets a cut of the sale. That way they have an optician who fits them and can adjust the frame. LC wine because more business is sent their way.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

Like someone else said, this sounds like developing an idea and securing the rights to it in order to sit on it forever and make sure nobody else tries that stuff against Amazon.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Just heard an interesting story from a cashier I know that a particularly up their rear end customer at a grocery story just threw around "Well Amazon just bought whole foods, bye bye *Insert Store X*!" when she didn't get an item stacked EXACTLY how she wanted so I'm guessing this is how its going to be used now. Lazy customer at Wal-Mart doesn't get their way, they'll just berate the workers that Amazon's at the door right now here to take away their job. Doesn't matter if there's a Whole Foods or not in the area, the min-wage workers will just have another thing to be attacked by some power tripping rural who demands satisfaction as they're trying to buy 20 boxes of Dew and Corndogs.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Willie Tomg posted:

Like someone else said, this sounds like developing an idea and securing the rights to it in order to sit on it forever and make sure nobody else tries that stuff against Amazon.

Which can't work, as the patent would never hold up in court. Filtering/replacing/outright blocking data access you don't like on your own network has hella prior art, and so does attempting to supply coupons when you detect certain actions. Everything else in the patent appears to be legally obvious extensions of existing concepts.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Motronic posted:

Seriously.....why would I use store wifi? Data is relatively cheap and I'm not watching 4k movies on my phone while shopping.

(and the only time I shop at Whole Foods is when I'm on an expense account so IDGAF)

Just wait til jamming cellular frequencies is standard practice in big box stores. Wasn't there some hotel that was caught a while back jamming external signals to force people attending some conference to use their pricy add-on wifi?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

saintonan posted:

Just wait til jamming cellular frequencies is standard practice in big box stores. Wasn't there some hotel that was caught a while back jamming external signals to force people attending some conference to use their pricy add-on wifi?

That's not going to be standard practice because it is extremely illegal, especially since cell phone jammers often interfere with police communications.

The FCC refuses to license them except for the military and certain police agencies (and those can only be federal agencies, or contractors specifically doing work for federal agencies), thus making them illegal to operate. Additionally selling or importing any of these devices, unless you're an authorized agency is illegal even if you don't operate them. Fines for selling, importing, or operating the devices range from $16,000 to $112,000 per incident, and if you've been operating it for like a week you can bet you're getting hit for multiple "operating' infractions.

Similar laws are in place in most developed countries. Some of them allow authority for lower level government agencies than their respective national governments, but legal private business or consumer usage is very rare.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

fishmech posted:

Which can't work, as the patent would never hold up in court. Filtering/replacing/outright blocking data access you don't like on your own network has hella prior art, and so does attempting to supply coupons when you detect certain actions. Everything else in the patent appears to be legally obvious extensions of existing concepts.

The patent doesn't have to be strong enough to hold up in a courtroom. It just has to be strong enough to get Wal-Mart and Target's internal counsel to look at it, decide it would be a pain in the rear end to fight, and quash any "intercept Amazon traffic" projects before they get off the ground.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Space Gopher posted:

The patent doesn't have to be strong enough to hold up in a courtroom. It just has to be strong enough to get Wal-Mart and Target's internal counsel to look at it, decide it would be a pain in the rear end to fight, and quash any "intercept Amazon traffic" projects before they get off the ground.

It can't do that. It's a very, obviously, weak patent. If they actually wanted to do such a thing, it wouldn't stop them in the least.

In reality you don't bother to build such a system because if Amazon doesn't work right people are probably going to turn off the wifi, if they ever connected in the first place.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

fishmech posted:

That's not going to be standard practice because it is extremely illegal, especially since cell phone jammers often interfere with police communications.

The FCC refuses to license them except for the military and certain police agencies (and those can only be federal agencies, or contractors specifically doing work for federal agencies), thus making them illegal to operate. Additionally selling or importing any of these devices, unless you're an authorized agency is illegal even if you don't operate them. Fines for selling, importing, or operating the devices range from $16,000 to $112,000 per incident, and if you've been operating it for like a week you can bet you're getting hit for multiple "operating' infractions.

Similar laws are in place in most developed countries. Some of them allow authority for lower level government agencies than their respective national governments, but legal private business or consumer usage is very rare.

Part of the impetus for the FCC regs is also that early mass adopters of beepers/pagers were on-call EMTs and emergency personnel. Cell phone jammers could literally (indirectly) kill someone.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

axeil posted:

Wegmans is such a good grocery store I literally drive 40 minutes once a month to go to the one out in Fairfax instead of just walking to the grocery store down the street from my house. It's that much better.

We buy a half dozen boxes of wine at a time from wegmans because it's so much cheaper.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

asdf32 posted:

We buy a half dozen boxes of wine at a time from wegmans because it's so much cheaper.

A big part of the puzzle of your posting just fell into place

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fishmech posted:

Wasn't there some high school teacher who put a cell phone jammer in his class (because "damned kids always on their phones!") and ended up getting into a ton of poo poo because of it?

Edit: Yep, there was. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/florida-science-teacher-suspended-for-signal-jamming-students-cell-phones/

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 17, 2017

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
There was also a guy in Florida using one on his commute to and from work

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Active jammers are illegal.passive things like Filling the walls with cement and steel plates is legal.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Seems like covering the walls and ceiling with Faraday mesh would be a great science lesson.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I bet someone could eventually get in trouble for something like faraday cages. Where something exists just to block signals an EMT could need or whatever.

The funny thing is that a good way to block signals is to have a bunch of firewalls. The actual physical ones, not the network ones. Just throw a bunch of bricks and concrete in every wall and you are basically underground by a phone's perspective.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Active jammers are illegal.passive things like Filling the walls with cement and steel plates is legal.

Doing that is impractical for most retail locations, especially those in existing shopping centers.

Hell, a lot of big box stores and supermarkets have outright skylights these days over the main sales floor - it's a big trend recently.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Willie Tomg posted:

A big part of the puzzle of your posting just fell into place

I really recommend black box to anyone who still looks down on boxed wine.

Motronic posted:

Right, it's never occurred to me to look for store wifi in the last 5 years. Shared wifi is often worse than 4G anyways.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Doing that is impractical for most retail locations, especially those in existing shopping centers.

Hell, a lot of big box stores and supermarkets have outright skylights these days over the main sales floor - it's a big trend recently.

Sure. Most stores wouldn't want to block cell signals either. But if one did there are ways to build that in ways that aren't obvious you are trying to block cell signals.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Those fcc rules might not last forever, esp with repubs in charge willing to take corporate bribes to ease any restrictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The corporate entities paying for the spectrum being jammed would have a problem with it.