Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Those still seem enormously playable somewhere in Modern

why would you play these over the bicycle lands anywhere unless you care about the desert type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Elyv posted:

why would you play these over the bicycle lands anywhere unless you care about the desert type

Cycling lands is slow in standard, it is beyond glacial in Modern. If it weren't for dredge Life from the Loam would be unplayable.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I started MTGO again, and in my very first sealed tournament, I accidentally figured out that you can add basic lands to your deck and send them all to your sideboard.

So your entire sealed deck is a 5 color deck of your choosing between rounds.

Is this known? It has to be.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

I started MTGO again, and in my very first sealed tournament, I accidentally figured out that you can add basic lands to your deck and send them all to your sideboard.

So your entire sealed deck is a 5 color deck of your choosing between rounds.

Is this known? It has to be.

I'm pretty sure you can straight up add basic lands during sideboarding, so you don't even have to pad your sideboard with them. I'm not positive though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Anyone get the Archenemy set? It looks like a neat idea, but I don't want to drop $60 on it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am gonna get hella confused about what is eternalized and what is embalmed bc i never play this game completely sober

so yeah drafting's gonna be fun if i ever have a friday off again

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

BJPaskoff posted:

Anyone get the Archenemy set? It looks like a neat idea, but I don't want to drop $60 on it.

Played it a couple times tonight. If you're the Bolas player it gets out of hand very quick (in your favor). A ton of spot destruction and the schemes can be really insane. Like doubling the scheme that lets you draw three cards, have no max hand size until the end of your next turn and play three non-land cards from your hand for free.

If you're not the Bolas player then it can be rough, even with three of you. Granted this is with the pre-cons

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Entropic posted:

lol at common cycling lands that are strictly worse than both previous sets of common cycling lands.

Oh wait, I guess they have the Desert type, which presumably will matter for something...

Nice flavor/art win here, it's the old monuments, wasting away into desert.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/875455885379686400

either huey is a giant or gaby is a midget

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mandatory lesbian posted:

either huey is a giant or gaby is a midget

It's both.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Didn't see this? 4-mana ramp not the most interesting, but a one-shot ramp of 2 into a 7 drop on turn 5 in limited is fun.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Didn't see this? 4-mana ramp not the most interesting, but a one-shot ramp of 2 into a 7 drop on turn 5 in limited is fun.

Second set is notorious for slowing the format down, wouldn't be surprised if it was quite good.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I know I'm late to the party on this but losing Cheon to literally anything is fine. Dude is incredibly boring and doesn't even seem to know what he's doing. Which is probably also the reason he never seems to place well in events.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Players meeting 9 am tomorrow for gpvegas modern? Its not exactly clear by the website or twitter.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Marketing New Brain posted:

Second set is notorious for slowing the format down, wouldn't be surprised if it was quite good.

Maybe, but afflict seems to punish blocking much like exert did, so I wouldn't be surprised if the combined format was still aggressive.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mikujin posted:

I know I'm late to the party on this but losing Cheon to literally anything is fine. Dude is incredibly boring and doesn't even seem to know what he's doing. Which is probably also the reason he never seems to place well in events.

Paul Cheon played in 24 Pro Tours and finished in the top 32 of them 4 times. Saying Cheon sucks or doesn't know what he's doing is just dumb.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Paul Cheon played in 24 Pro Tours and finished in the top 32 of them 4 times. Saying Cheon sucks or doesn't know what he's doing is just dumb.

He also probably would have top 8ed one of the PTs that LSV top 8ed had he not come down with the plague during his second draft - he top 16ed that one and during his Chlog for it he did not look good at all. Dude's fine.

I do not want to watch his streams though.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I don't know if anyone saw this, but the Planeswalker Deck is Nissa so we have yet another god damned Nissa legal in standard, bringing the count up to 5.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I like watching Paul Cheon draft and play UW in cube

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
2 Sheltered Thicket
3 Spirebluff Canal
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Aether Hub
4 Forest
2 Island
2 Mountain

4 Nissa, Steward of Elements
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

4 Attune
4 Harnessed Lightning
3 Magma Spray

4 Refiner
4 Servant o/t Conduit
4 Longtusk Cub
4 Whirler Virtuoso
3 Bristling Hydra
3 Glorybringer

SB

4 Sweltering Suns
3 Confiscation Coup
3 Negate
3 Uncaged Fury

Running Circles around the cofused meta on mtgo with this Temur Energy build. Crap just keeps flying at you from every direction. Very excited to mirror with paper cards and play some PPTQs, I have a lot of confidence in this deck, that is before HOD drops...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Players meeting 9 am tomorrow for gpvegas modern? Its not exactly clear by the website or twitter.

Yeah, all the others have been at nine.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Doing sealed of older formats is so whiplashing with regard to card power levels. I think I built this right though.

e: Went 3-0 so can't complain.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 17, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Thermal Navigator is a three-mana 2/2 that, late-game, you can start feeding lands to fly over to peck in for two damage. It also seems good with Carapace and Strata Scythe. Cut Arcbound Fiend or Hoversail for it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Thermal Navigator is a three-mana 2/2 that, late-game, you can start feeding lands to fly over to peck in for two damage. It also seems good with Carapace and Strata Scythe. Cut Arcbound Fiend or Hoversail for it.

If I had artifact lands I would. But I need to keep metalcraft online and rarely have artifacts to spare. I did side it in a couple times though.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Listerine Hangover posted:

2 Sheltered Thicket
3 Spirebluff Canal
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Aether Hub
4 Forest
2 Island
2 Mountain

4 Nissa, Steward of Elements

4 Attune
4 Harnessed Lightning
3 Magma Spray

4 Refiner
4 Servant o/t Conduit
4 Longtusk Cub
4 Whirler Virtuoso
3 Bristling Hydra
3 Glorybringer

SB

4 Sweltering Suns
3 Confiscation Coup
3 Negate
3 Uncaged Fury

Running Circles around the cofused meta on mtgo with this Temur Energy build. Crap just keeps flying at you from every direction. Very excited to mirror with paper cards and play some PPTQs, I have a lot of confidence in this deck, that is before HOD drops...

I'll preface this by saying a few nights ago I saw Nissa was sub 3 tickets and picked up 12, but do you think 4 is excessive or works? I've really liked Radiant Flames over Sweltering Suns in Temur just due to mana issues. I also can't for the life of me figure out what Uncaged Fury is for, but I'm curious.

A lot of these lists are running Cut//Ribbons, never flashing it back they just need more answer to T2 Snake and clean answers to Glorybringer, but with that many Planeswalkers I feel like you might just want to go ham and play Oath of Chandra.

I was going to basically play the old Temur Energy list and just swap out negates for Censor, but now I kind of want to find room and throw some sweet Nissa in there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Grind//Dust seems to play very nicely with Archfiend of Infir. I'm thinking a Mardu Reanimator revision where you cast or reanimate Archfiend, discard Grind//Dust with Tormenting Voices or something, then Dust 'em.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

why is the intro deck walker for HoD a Nissa when Nissa was in AKH and not HoD(I'm assuming she's not in both)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Seems weird to complain about the intro decks "adding more of planeswalker X to a format" when you know full well they'll never be played in serious decks in that format

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Seems weird to complain about the intro decks "adding more of planeswalker X to a format" when you know full well they'll never be played in serious decks in that format

I don't care about that, I just think it's weird that the intro deck walker isn't a walker in the set

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Borachon posted:

I hadn't played Standard on MTGO yet and used this as a cheap deck to use with my new player points. It's a thing of beauty fogging and fumigating aggro decks for 10 turns to plop down approach in successive turns. Thanks for this.

:hfive:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

I don't care about that, I just think it's weird that the intro deck walker isn't a walker in the set

fair enough, that is weird. I was more responding to this nonsense

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I don't know if anyone saw this, but the Planeswalker Deck is Nissa so we have yet another god damned Nissa legal in standard, bringing the count up to 5.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am annihilating these Energy lists running Luxa. Considering switching out magma sprays with Incendiary Flow

I'll preface this by saying a few nights ago I saw Nissa was sub 3 tickets and picked up 12, but do you think 4 is excessive or works? I've really liked Radiant Flames over Sweltering Suns in Temur just due to mana issues. I also can't for the life of me figure out what Uncaged Fury is for, but I'm curious.

A lot of these lists are running Cut//Ribbons, never flashing it back they just need more answer to T2 Snake and clean answers to Glorybringer, but with that many Planeswalkers I feel like you might just want to go ham and play Oath of Chandra.

I was going to basically play the old Temur Energy list and just swap out negates for Censor, but now I kind of want to find room and throw some sweet Nissa in there.

I've never had issues with getting 2 red mana when I need to so I think the suns are better due to cycling.

The oaths suck I've playtested every single one of them, they usually just sit there.

Nissa is crazy slept on. I'd much rather have nissa late game than chandra due to her minus ability. There's also the advantage of ppl don't expect her or know what to do about her

Uncaged Fury is gas and usually ends games with bristling hydra/ whatever you put it on. Also a nice surprise to put on a servant, cub or refiner early on. It's not so hot against decks with heavy removal, control decks and turbofog obviously so I SB em.
's

Listerine Hangover fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 17, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Borachon posted:

I hadn't played Standard on MTGO yet and used this as a cheap deck to use with my new player points. It's a thing of beauty fogging and fumigating aggro decks for 10 turns to plop down approach in successive turns. Thanks for this.

It only gets better once Marvel is officially banned. I played Temur Energy last night at FNM 2 times and a Temur Ramp into Ulamog deck and easily went 3-0, they have no answer for this Fog. My last round was against a GB Energy player that I think I would have beaten but we just decided to split the FNM 4-0 payout of store credit.

Fog is going to poo poo all over these aggro decks for the next few weeks. Just make sure you SB well in-case UR Control is in your meta, it's the toughest matchup you'll face.

This was my last week playing this deck since I've been playing it since Kaladesh came out. I've been heavily playing the Mardu Reanimator deck I think Sickening or Angry Grimace posted a few pages back on XMage and love it so I ordered the cards Friday and look forward to that as my deck in the post Marvel world.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Scorpion God is cool and good.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I was thinking of adding a Nissa to my list as well, but I wouldn't remove Tireless Trackers for her.
How have you found not having an Negates main board? They still seem useful for dealing with Gideons and removal in G/B.

I think I may go down to 2 negates and add a Nissa. I was even thinking of trying out the 5 mana version.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm guessing all three nuked gods will have his return to hand at end of turn if it died as their equivalent to god indestructible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

is it possible none of the gatewatch have walkers in this set? i mean that'd be weird to me since it is the big conflict but also kinda makes sense for ol' bolas to be the only walker, makes him even more of a headliner

oh wait samut is a walker i just remembered, hmmm now i don't know what's up

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I am gonna make so many Scorpion God decks

Even in Commander, the good and true format :smug:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So the real question is can there be a new Rock deck that features the Scorpion God?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

80s James Hetfield posted:

It only gets better once Marvel is officially banned. I played Temur Energy last night at FNM 2 times and a Temur Ramp into Ulamog deck and easily went 3-0, they have no answer for this Fog. My last round was against a GB Energy player that I think I would have beaten but we just decided to split the FNM 4-0 payout of store credit.

Fog is going to poo poo all over these aggro decks for the next few weeks. Just make sure you SB well in-case UR Control is in your meta, it's the toughest matchup you'll face.

This was my last week playing this deck since I've been playing it since Kaladesh came out. I've been heavily playing the Mardu Reanimator deck I think Sickening or Angry Grimace posted a few pages back on XMage and love it so I ordered the cards Friday and look forward to that as my deck in the post Marvel world.

List?