Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jedah posted:

Berserk, 2017:

Resident Evil 2, 1998:

it's not fair to compare one of the greatest games of all time to a steaming piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Why does no one listen to me?!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Why does no one listen to me?!"

No one listens to Zathras.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A crowdfunded Lost Children anime would be good. It might actually be made if it's a movie and not a series, it's short and quite self contained and it's really good.
I say crowdsource it. Considering that it took nearly twenty years to get any animation beyond the most excellent, and still best animation thus far, 1997 anime, what difference does it make if a team is churning out 30min of material in six months? So they catch up with Miura in five years instead of two; who cares.

The best part? Someone comes along with a kick-rear end character design, they type `make` (on a real OS), and the previous episodes get rebuilt and rereleased. gently caress this one-time-buy poo poo.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

this is like some sort of stoner humor thing where it's bad on purpose. you have to put serious effort into being so mediocre

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is like some sort of stoner humor thing where it's bad on purpose. you have to put serious effort into being so mediocre

Tim and Eric's Berserk 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Band of the Shithawk.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
What if it was... ANGRIER?

*Guts in the foreground shoots Griffith who is in the middle ground.*
"Who killed Griffith?"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

The seasonal thread could help out with currently running ones, the chat thread for others ... hell, you could probably ask anywhere.

The best animation I've seen in a while was probably Flip Flappers (it's gorgeous), along with the Little Witch Academia OVAs. Currently running, Maid Dragon actually has very good animation and great sound design. Those are a couple recent examples, I'm tired and going to bed. I'm sure others will have more.

Can't believe you didn't mention March Comes In Like a Lion a bunch of months ago tut tut.

Nate RFB posted:

Couldn't help but play this when they started talking about "a bonfire of dreams..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZa0Yh6e7dw

:unsmith:

I love this choice of a theme song for Guts so much. It would've been so easy to go with some generic metal angry song but instead he captures the searching quality that Guts takes with him in his struggle so goddamn well.

Crabtree posted:

To be fair, at least the girls have had something of a prep course for The Eclipse in the Troll Arc, the Horse, The Pagan Cult from Conviction, probably some other terrible things I'm forgetting. It probably won't loving matter, because what they'll see, hear and possibly even feel in there IS GOING TO BE FROM CASKA'S PERSPECTIVE so - um - good luck with that.

Hey so, an interesting thought I came across while reading the thread was that while there was a lot of sexual violence against men in Berserk, we always approach it from their point of view - whereas when it's against women, it tends to be the outside view, and that this leads to it still feeling exploitative. Depending on how this next chapter goes in...eight? days, we could finally get to have that point of view!

Oh...oh no. :yikes:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cavelcade posted:

Can't believe you didn't mention March Comes In Like a Lion a bunch of months ago tut tut.

Sacrelidge, yes, but i haven't watched it yet.

Also yeah, the next few chapters are going to be ... harsh.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I felt like maybe....just a little less than half of this episode wasn't animated too terribly, but :lol: when it came to the big showdown on the beach. Goodness gracious.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stop watching this bad show you wierdos

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never want to hear about a Berserk Anime, Movie, Videogame, Pachinko machine or snack tie-ins ever again. I just wanna read the cool manga and listen to Death Metal and be happy forever.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
too bad, bitch

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Law Cheetah posted:

too bad, bitch

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I felt like maybe....just a little less than half of this episode wasn't animated too terribly, but :lol: when it came to the big showdown on the beach. Goodness gracious.

a lot of it was dodgy, but they delivered on Guts learning about Hanafubuku and Casca maybe not wanting to be healed so let's just say this was in the upper tier of CGIserk episodes because it got a thing right.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I never want to hear about a Berserk Anime, Movie, Videogame, Pachinko machine or snack tie-ins ever again. I just wanna read the cool manga and listen to Death Metal and be happy forever.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I hope the berserk show runs for 10 seasons.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Law Cheetah posted:

too bad, bitch

Auuuugh

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This season isn't going to end where I thought it was. I thought it was gonna end with them walking down the beach after killing those alligators but it's gonna go all the way to that city. Is this season 12 episodes or 24? If it's only 12 then it's gonna end in an awkward place.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's gonna end with them stepping on the boat and then no more anime will ever be made.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i would really prefer that

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

You know you want to see their attempt to animate the pirate sea monster as it eats a bunch of Roderick's crew

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it's not fair to compare one of the greatest games of all time to a steaming piece of poo poo

Thoughts on Episode 23? Schierke continues to be good and cool, the Puck/Ivalera jokes were funny, and Serpico even got to use air dash. Not bad. But yeah, obviously all the monsters looked hilariously bad, that's to be expected.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There was one hilariously composited shot with Guts slicing up alligators in the BG and then a a big expanse of ground, and things were sliding all over the place.

Other than that it was your typical "this is watchable but I wish it was better" episode of CGBerserk.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I have figured it out. The animators are pure genius.

You see, in Berserk '97 they have this awesome first-episode hook. Drawn into the series you watch and get distracted by the developing character, and then get slammed with this shocking ending and realize that you have to go back and watch it again because you weren't paying enough attention and you must have missed something.

They have followed this style almost exactly; sideways, but still. You keep watching hoping it'll get better and what they'll do is, on the very last episode, they'll reveal what is the most awesome, fully detailed version of a Berserk episode comparable to some miracle Miura clone itself. Then they'll announce they've planned this all along and they've decided to go back and rebuild the whole thing, starting with Lost Children.

I don't believe any of the last paragraph, of course.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

"We'll fix it in post," CG Berserk 2016/17.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i really do want to know what the gently caress the deal is with new berserk. people used to have charitable explanations like "the director is new to 3D" but we're way beyond that now. there surely isn't anyone who worked on it who think that they did a good job, right? what's the fucken story here? How did this happen?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At this point I'm pretty sure somebody's embezzling.

I hope someone with behind the scenes knowledge steps forward to talk, because there's potentially some juicy drama happening right now.

Otherwise it's honestly just nobody giving a poo poo, which is both a boring and depressing answer. I want the real story to have some blood in it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jedah posted:

Thoughts on Episode 23? Schierke continues to be good and cool, the Puck/Ivalera jokes were funny, and Serpico even got to use air dash. Not bad. But yeah, obviously all the monsters looked hilariously bad, that's to be expected.

Ctrl+F Hanafubuku and that post is about the summation of it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Law Cheetah posted:

i really do want to know what the gently caress the deal is with new berserk. people used to have charitable explanations like "the director is new to 3D" but we're way beyond that now. there surely isn't anyone who worked on it who think that they did a good job, right? what's the fucken story here? How did this happen?

They were the lowest bidder to make it and are probably being bullwhipped in the office to make TV deadlines.

Like, while still mostly looking horrible, the blu-ray of the first season did have a pretty stark difference in some scenes. If they were given extra time and a handful more money it'd probably be at least tolerable instead of the wreck it is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Certain parts of their pipeline are impressive. Fire, water, and cloth simulation in a TV series is rare. And there's a lot of compositing with the 2d bits and the sketchy shading they're adding on top of characters in post. But all of that crunches the schedule even more because the animation needs to be completed before those effects can be added. Leading to previs-level animation and rushed compositing.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

They were the lowest bidder to make it and are probably being bullwhipped in the office to make TV deadlines.

Like, while still mostly looking horrible, the blu-ray of the first season did have a pretty stark difference in some scenes. If they were given extra time and a handful more money it'd probably be at least tolerable instead of the wreck it is.

I linked a video earlier that showed a bunch of examples of how anime shows get touched up for the blu-ray release, but there is so much wrong here I don't know if they can salvage it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yardbomb posted:

Why is anime production like this? Like I understand the other ways it's different from western shows, what with private funding committees and having to pay stations to air it, but why is there this time crunch? Are the investors so incredibly impatient that they'd rather have an inferior product start to make money as soon as humanly possible, rather than waiting a couple months so everything can be properly finished before it airs?

Whole seasons of western cartoons are finished years before they air. According to the commentary, individual episodes of Venture Bros take months to finish. In what way does it make sense to have people kill themselves for a weekly deadline and then sometimes put out an inferior product to advertise that merch, which is how they actually make money?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Jedah posted:

Berserk, 2017:

Resident Evil 2, 1998:

That's clearly an inflatable crocodile.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Begemot posted:

Why is anime production like this? Like I understand the other ways it's different from western shows, what with private funding committees and having to pay stations to air it, but why is there this time crunch? Are the investors so incredibly impatient that they'd rather have an inferior product start to make money as soon as humanly possible, rather than waiting a couple months so everything can be properly finished before it airs?

Whole seasons of western cartoons are finished years before they air. According to the commentary, individual episodes of Venture Bros take months to finish. In what way does it make sense to have people kill themselves for a weekly deadline and then sometimes put out an inferior product to advertise that merch, which is how they actually make money?
Because the anime industry like old Studio Hollywood is incredibly backwards and has a massive population of people who see working on anime as a calling rather than just another job, who the execs can abuse. Same reason video games are produced so close to the wire and kills its employees through stress.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

This is a good question; I've seen Shirobako and thus have something of an idea of how it works, and was duly shocked because wow that's ridiculous (and that's a light, optimistic portrayal of it), but even that never got into why the industry's so weird and hosed up.

Tangent, anyone who watches an anime (like this one) and wonders "how the gently caress did this happen" should watch Shirobako, because you'll get to see exactly how things like this happen.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Probably has to do with cash flow, needing to recoup some of the costs through airing and presales on BDs before all the episodes are completed. Western companies that have more freedom with capital don't have this sort of crunch.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
It seems to me that many anime are just a cash-in on currently popular manga. Another way to squeeze a little more money out of the fans. Not that it is all like that, but Berserk 16/17 seems like a good example. Sell production to the lowest bidder, pump out some turds and watch fans desperate for more content buy the poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
From what i've heard lots of japanese dont watch anime, but they all read manga. Its probably because of poo poo like this.