Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm gobsmacked, but as I recall there was a mandatory instance in HW as well, wasn't there? Why didn't this happen then?

More players, longer instance, PS4 limitations... there's plenty of reasons why it could be more of an issue now than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm gobsmacked, but as I recall there was a mandatory instance in HW as well, wasn't there? Why didn't this happen then?

because you could start in two different zones

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

More players, longer instance, PS4 limitations... there's plenty of reasons why it could be more of an issue now than before.

It makes this doubly concerning that they do back-to-back instances though. You'd think this would have been caught in testing surely

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It makes this doubly concerning that they do back-to-back instances though. You'd think this would have been caught in testing surely

There's nothing to catch. They intentionally reduced the number of players that can enter instances because of the load on the servers, which means they probably just underestimated how many people would be playing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still think Fister was on to something with the 4% exp food promotion luring in new players. My favorite thing about it is that it has +1 piety just as piety got deprecated.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Made it past Raubahn, thought things would get better, but nope, there's just a handful of fetch quests and then you get another story battle. It's really astounding how badly they hosed this up.

There's a third one not all that long after that. Please look forward to it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Only so much that can be tested and modeled. Nothing beats a live environment, especially with millions of concurrent users. While their structure should support scalable/cloud server capacity, even that can be vulnerable to DDoSes. Either way, "testing" only gets so far.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

What also upsets me is the lack of communication.

We've heard nothing for six hours.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well if they are artificially restricting access, and it's because there's too many people playing, then it's sheer failure to anticipate the amount of users. Even still, they had the same sorts of problems (to a far lesser degree) with HW. They really should have anticipated slightly better.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So I've been pretty all right with how things have gone, frankly

but now I think my character may be stuck in a hellish limbo wherein I 90k every time I try to login because they're stuck between a story instance (the rdm 50) and reality

so uh

Ither posted:

What also upsets me is the lack of communication.

We've heard nothing for six hours.

That said, there's still only so much to say. They're looking into it and will try to resolve it, and YoshiP has already done a mea culpa. There's not much more to say and they can't give an ETA to a fix probably because they have no real idea when that might come, nor do they want to tie themselves to fixed times and disappoint people even more (and thus also encourage more traffic spikes).

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Since trying to go into any sort of instanced content ends super poorly, I just gave up for the night. I have other games to play, I don't need to play the one that is currently determined to kick me in the teeth. gonna try early in the morning when hopefully all the more stubborn people have passed out.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I apologize to the 7 other goons I convinced to do Ramuh Hard mode with newbie bonus. It started a black screen and now it says lost connection to server whenever I get past the login queue. Hope you don't have the same thing!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

this works really well on loop

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At least with Raubahn Savage earlier in the day I could just keep clicking until I won. Now I get booted back to the lobby server any time I try to enter a solo duty. This is kind of dumb.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well if they are artificially restricting access, and it's because there's too many people playing, then it's sheer failure to anticipate the amount of users. Even still, they had the same sorts of problems (to a far lesser degree) with HW. They really should have anticipated slightly better.

I feel like even a one-day beta test would have figured this out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

We're playing it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Exmond posted:

I apologize to the 7 other goons I convinced to do Ramuh Hard mode with newbie bonus. It started a black screen and now it says lost connection to server whenever I get past the login queue. Hope you don't have the same thing!

fwiw logging into another character seemed to fix this issue for me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

hobbesmaster posted:

We're playing it.

And here I thought Japanese studios were supposed to be really sensitive to apparent losses of face and so putting out a clear beta marked as a finished product would embarass them.

The more you know.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mordiceius posted:

I can't wait for you guys to get to the Susano fight.

That boss is so loving fun.

But dear god DO NOT RUN IT WITH PUBBIES. That fight is going to be a goddamn pubbie destroyer.

Eh, after Raubahn (Extreme), Susano could essentially be A3S guest starring Ozma Super Extreme and I would still prefer it over my only options being Instance Hell or running PotD until your eyes bleed.

And after another set of failures to get past the Bull, only to find out that his loving son is going to run the assist play 30 minutes afterwards, Yoshi-P, I get it. It seems like you do not want me to play your game right now. I'm just going to play Tekken and Fire Emblem if you ever decide to unfuck yourself.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 17, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I mean either you have the beta be invite-only or lottery-based in which case all the people who don't get in will throw a shitfit, or you have it be open in which case you get the same thing you do with 'early access'.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
And I thought the Burden of the Father and the Burden of the Son were in Heavensward!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If they smooth it all out by the 20th I imagine nobody will make too big a deal about it. But I suppose I'm glad I only spent $40 for the expac instead of 60.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

And here I thought Japanese studios were supposed to be really sensitive to apparent losses of face and so putting out a clear beta marked as a finished product would embarass them.

The more you know.

What.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Farg posted:

And I thought the Burden of the Father and the Burden of the Son were in Heavensward!

Uuuuuugh.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

May not be killing Garleans in Ala Mhigo, but at least I can pretend I am.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Square-Enix has been throwing its overseas subsidiaries (Eidos) under the bus for years for "underperforming" rather than admit that JRPGs don't sell like they used to, everything's about saving face

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey only a 360 person queue I think this is a good sign

I'll just get all the instances done and then everybody else can deal with it. Brilliant strategy!

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

So I've been pretty all right with how things have gone, frankly

but now I think my character may be stuck in a hellish limbo wherein I 90k every time I try to login because they're stuck between a story instance (the rdm 50) and reality

so uh

That said, there's still only so much to say. They're looking into it and will try to resolve it, and YoshiP has already done a mea culpa. There's not much more to say and they can't give an ETA to a fix probably because they have no real idea when that might come, nor do they want to tie themselves to fixed times and disappoint people even more (and thus also encourage more traffic spikes).

Even if they can't say anything new, reiterating that they're still working, even through the night, would be comforting IMO.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Game might be hosed, but PvP has earned me a swag new healer set

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Farg posted:

This actually made me smile in this dark time. Thank you.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

vOv posted:

I mean either you have the beta be invite-only or lottery-based in which case all the people who don't get in will throw a shitfit, or you have it be open in which case you get the same thing you do with 'early access'.

yet a majority of American companies do them just fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ither posted:

Even if they can't say anything new, reiterating that they're still working, even through the night, would be comforting IMO.

Something like this perhaps? http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/48c587aa8049a3ec3d6ba5970e25fa2b39ff28eb

quote:

06/16/2017 11:39 PM
[Important]Regarding Congestion for Instanced Battle Content: Follow-up
FFXIV Producer and Director Yoshida here.

This is a follow-up regarding difficulty in accessing certain instanced battle content.

The development team has changed the process for dealing with this issue so that as many players as possible can be moved to instanced areas for certain main quests and instanced battles.

As a result, players have become able to transition to instanced areas faster than originally estimated, but at the same time, players are now gathering at certain areas in large numbers, and this is causing the servers go down on some Worlds as a result.

Currently, the development team is making detailed adjustments by adjusting the speed at which players are transferred to instances on each World so that areas do not continue to go down and to ensure that all players can continue to play as comfortably as possible.

Although these measures were taken to help alleviate the difficulty in transitioning to instances, we apologize about zones going down as a result.

Congestion in the “Rhalgr's Reach” area is especially intense, so to prevent zones from continuously going down, we are carefully controlling the logins to each World and transitions to the Rhalgr's Reach zone. Due to this, it will take some time to login to any of the Worlds.

Everyone on the team will continue to put in our full effort to ensure everyone can enjoy early access.

According to reddit balmung has queues over 4000 players. :lol:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Maybe, but -

1) SE doesn't really do extensive external betas, at least the FFXIV team doesn't.
2) Warlords had a significant beta period and over a month in the pre-expansion preparation patch, and the launch was ghastly for the first few days.

I don't disagree that this sucks and that expectations were higher, but this is (to my recollection) the first major miss on estimating server load since ARR launch. I do think they should look into more easily scalable server tech for the next expansion, if players are equally/more engaged with Stormblood as we were in Heavensward (but even then, that remains vulnerable to the aforementioned DDoSes). They have some smart folks, so they're probably already exploring this if they haven't already. Comes down to budget, security, some bureaucratically entrenched rear end in a top hat they need to convince, etc.

*edit -

The Black Stones posted:

They've had 2 launches now to realize their game gets SUPER popular and busy at launch. Now, I'm 100% admitting I don't know if it's possible but if it is, they should add some temporary sever storage to account for that spike and then lower it down to whatever they expected the needed for the normal routine.

To be fair, the HW launch was mostly smooth, a few minor snags. But yes, it is possible - Amazon (for example) rents out their servers so it's a matter of the security/budget/etc. concerns I noted above.

isk fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 17, 2017

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

It's still not working for me, but I guess that's something.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It's not surprising. This happened at 2.0 launch as well where everything was poo poo for a few days but at least when you could login you could actually do poo poo.

They've had 2 launches now to realize their game gets SUPER popular and busy at launch. Now, I'm 100% admitting I don't know if it's possible but if it is, they should add some temporary sever storage to account for that spike and then lower it down to whatever they expected the needed for the normal routine.

At the very least they should should come out and go "okay things were poo poo, here's a couple free days of game time." At least then people feel they've gotten something for wasted man hours instead of a "sorry go do something else" apology. I get that it's a poo poo situation for S-E but you need to keep your player base happy and I saw nothing but rage online today.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hobbesmaster posted:

According to reddit balmung has queues over 4000 players. :lol:

Yeah I've gone through a 4400 queue. Took like 20-30 minutes, but it wasn't really that bad. I spent my time going through reddit finding the salt and asking people stuck at raubhan's hellgate if futa was gay. Some philosophers on balmung, let me tell you.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raubahn is the most successful primal in Eorzea's history

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Sinteres posted:

I still think Fister was on to something with the 4% exp food promotion luring in new players. My favorite thing about it is that it has +1 piety just as piety got deprecated.

You know, the funny thing is you don't even need to buy an irl Honey Bun to get them. You just have to use this AR app on your phone to scan one, or a picture of one if you're being extra tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Minrad posted:

Game might be hosed, but PvP has earned me a swag new healer set

The Caster gear is pretty nice this go round, shame the DoW gear is nowhere near that good.

Also seriously,

this new gpose poo poo is cool.