Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Chilichimp posted:

... The Cole? Did the Cole go down?

No, the Cole is still around.

And I think that guy was being dramatic. The ship was heavily damaged but I haven't heard anything about it possibly sinking.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

... The Cole? Did the Cole go down?

The Cole got repaired.

The last one to be counted as 'sunk' is most likely the USS Scorpion; unless you're going to allow 'I don't want to go to work at the shipyard so I'm count to start a $500m fire that causes a submarine to be retired rather than repaired' USS Miami.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Tatsuta Age posted:

https://www.wesearchr.com/bounties/laura-loomer-legal-defense-fund

How can I monetize right wing stupidity like this? honestly kinda jealous here

As of this post, 54 contributors, and $3800 raised, all of the donations except one is from "Anonymous" with various MAGA, etc. comments lmao

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I hope it's the Evans in June of 1969, which would make it Nixon.

Anyway, while not disputing the point being made, we have both an acting Ambassador to Japan and an acting Secretary of the Navy. That's definitely not how you want things to work, but in this particular case it means that both positions are currently held by career civil servants who were already familiar with the agencies they're acting heads of. That really hasn't been the pattern for Trump's appointees.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Eeyo posted:

There's people missing from the ship apparently? https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.cf3f574dfc4f

I thought this was just kind of a ha-ha 2 ships hit each other but the destroyer took a good hit.

It's a ~29,000 ton container ship carrying ~40,000 tons of cargo at full capacity and traveling at upwards of 20-25mph. An anti-ship missile would do as much or more damage, but really only by virtue of penetrating the hull and causing fires (and delivering its much smaller quantity of energy much faster). e: Compare to HSV-2 Swift (hit by missile, but rendered a loss by the resulting fires) or the USS Stark, hit by a couple Exocets, after which it was repaired and remained in service for another decade or so.

Eltoasto posted:

Is there any conceivable way this happened that doesn't involve the radar operator on the destroyer sleeping on the job?

Multiple people sleeping on both ships, I'd have to think.

Ballz posted:

No, the Cole is still around.

And I think that guy was being dramatic. The ship was heavily damaged but I haven't heard anything about it possibly sinking.

I read it's taking on water. The 'bulb' on the nose of the freighter probably hit the ship below the waterline (articles have mentioned damage there) and sprung things loose. Haven't seen anything saying "it might actually sink" though, other than this guy.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 17, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Covok posted:

The bigger news: we named a ship the USS Fitzgerald? Jeez.

Wikipedia to the rescue: named after Lt. William C. Fitzgerald who died in the line of duty in Vietnam, and received the Navy Cross posthumously for his service.
Seems a whole lot better than naming ships for presidents (the way the carriers are) to me :shrug:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Prester Jane posted:

I have been saying since the Scalise shooting that it would mark a change in how the right wing talks about and deals with everything associated with the left. This is an organized team of high-compaction Narrativists going out and confronting their hated Enemy. Note how they just shout out their Inner narrative at the top of their lungs over and over. Actions like the above are meant to inspire other Narrativists, and they will probably succeed. And as more Narrativists start going out to confront things associated with the left they will get increasingly confrontational and decreasingly rational.

Uh, dude, it's just some people screaming at a concert. We've seen people doing this for years. I mean, yeah, it's made to inspire others, but it's nothing new or different. They were doing it before. If he had pulled out a gun and shot people, then, yeah, I'd be with you there on things going south, but this is just an rear end in a top hat making an idiot of himself.

Chill.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

OddObserver posted:

Wikipedia to the rescue: named after Lt. William C. Fitzgerald who died in the line of duty in Vietnam, and received the Navy Cross posthumously for his service.
Seems a whole lot better than naming ships for presidents (the way the carriers are) to me :shrug:

Well, now I just feel like a dick.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

e: post is not edit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

I hope it's the Evans in June of 1969, which would make it Nixon.

Only half of the Evans sank though.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Chilichimp posted:

(load of links)

Ague Proof posted:

Jones literally demonised Obama.

Ventana posted:

I can't pick a favorite, just choose anything from these videos. Well okay, maybe the bit where he yells about Hilary being an intergalatic interdimensional
body-possessing world-invading demon (first clip of 2nd vid) is quintessential Alex Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQrMCDVx1lU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntWieh7YIgY
Holy cow, thank you. The more mainstream stuff is appreciated too. And no thanks to everybody who posted farts and super saiyans. Instead I shared some videos about the Obamas that make Jones sound like he has both schizophrenia and rabies and my friend wanted to know if I actually watched that crap (I tried to watch each of the videos and got through none of them). Don't know if my point got through but after seeing all that stuff I now think that Democrats should up the rhetoric even more. I won't be happy until a Trump restaurant is stormed by armed women in pantsuits demanding Trump's tax returns, Pizzagate shooter style.

skylined! posted:

Nope. gently caress ted nugent.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Haha good, gently caress her, and gently caress NBC for giving her a lucrative contact just cause Trump hates her too.

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress off, Greg.

You made your own name a loving verb for assaulting the press.
It warms my lovely heart that the Democrafts/left hate prominent conservatives when they try to move more to the center. drat. Nugent is a chickenshit. Also, don't dish it out if you can't take it, don't pull a thing out unless you plan to bang, can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding, etc.

MacheteZombie posted:

I visited a buddy in prison earlier this year and even there they didn't put a photo of trump on the wall. it was just an empty spot, my buddy said they took down obama's pic right after the results for tormp came in
Eh, they'll see plenty of Trump's face when he ends up there.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

eviltastic posted:

It depends on what kind of case is up for trial, and approaches vary. And it's much more art than science. What you're trying for in voir dire (at least, with respect to actually selecting jurors) should be identifying biases that are problematic for your case; demographics can help you guess at that, but that should be secondary to engaging with the jurors actually in the room.

I recall hearing about at least one study out there finding that there wasn't a bias against juror educational level in the cases they looked at.

When I was impaneled for a sexual assault case last week, the defense attorney spent a lot of time asking questions that were (to me at least) obvious defenses he could have used. It definitely ended up weeding out people who answered or reacted "wrong" to them.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

trickybiscuits posted:

It warms my lovely heart that the Democrafts/left hate prominent conservatives when they try to move more to the center. drat. Nugent is a chickenshit. Also, don't dish it out if you can't take it, don't pull a thing out unless you plan to bang, can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding, etc.

It's not that they're moving to the center, it's that they're slowly realizing that the left will loving fight back, and now they suddenly don't have the stomach for a fight.You can claim they're "moving to the center" when they start espousing sensible policies, and not just going "y-y-y-y-you mean the next person I bodyslam/threaten with murder/slander might pull a g-g-g-g-g-g-gun on me?? CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? :qq:"

The right can be shot at, and threatened, and afraid for a good long time, as far as I'm concerned. To quote Sir Arthur Harris,

quote:

The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put that rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

As much as I like making fun of everything the orange golem does I think it's a long bow to pin this on him

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lid posted:

As much as I like making fun of everything the orange golem does I think it's a long bow to pin this on him

Nobody is trying to say he made the accident happen. It should be chilling to you that we are missing key people we need to respond to a crisis.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

At about 0300 on August 7, 1967, Coastal Defense Group Sixteen's compound came under vicious attack by two Viet Cong battalions. The assault began with an intense mortar barrage followed immediately by the advance of troops. Fitzgerald, the senior American commander, immediately ordered a retreat of the civilians within the compound. Because of the compound's location adjacent to a river and the aggressors' position, the only escape route was via water in small boats.

Lieutenant Fitzgerald and three others delayed their retreat as long as possible in order to provide covering fire and to direct fire from surrounding friendly forces. Many calls were made to orbiting gunship aircraft, artillery units, and Fast Patrol Craft to provide defensive fire. The Viet Cong attack, however, was swift and well coordinated. It soon became apparent that the South Vietnamese forces were decimated and that the American bunker was the sole remaining source of resistance. As the situation deteriorated, Fitzgerald ordered his last three remaining defenders to retreat while he used arms fire to cover their escape. Fitzgerald was mortally wounded in this action.

A good man. I hope his boat survives.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The ship isn't going to sink and it's making it's way back to port. The bigger concern is the 7 sailors missing and the loss of a BMD platform.

Damage will be assessed and repairs will be costly I'm sure.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 17, 2017

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nemo2342 posted:

When I was impaneled for a sexual assault case last week, the defense attorney spent a lot of time asking questions that were (to me at least) obvious defenses he could have used. It definitely ended up weeding out people who answered or reacted "wrong" to them.

Yea that's the point of it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Cole got repaired.

The last one to be counted as 'sunk' is most likely the USS Scorpion; unless you're going to allow 'I don't want to go to work at the shipyard so I'm count to start a $500m fire that causes a submarine to be retired rather than repaired' USS Miami.

Hadn't heard of that one.

quote:

On 15 March 2013 Fury was sentenced to over 17 years in federal prison and ordered to pay $400 million in restitution

:lol:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

mango sentinel posted:

It should be chilling to you that we are missing key people we need to respond to a crisis.
Trump is waiting until he can star in a new season of The Apprentice, where each episode has a half-dozen washed up and b-grade celebrities competing to fill an absolutely vital government position just in time to hopefully avert some catastrophe caused by utter neglect. (Spoiler: it'll be too late to matter) The show will have huge ratings, and with Trump will also be a producer, he gets two paychecks for it. Sorry, three paychecks, since it'll be filmed at Mar-A-Lago.

Yeah, I'm joking... But in another six months this is all going to sound more realistic than whatever the gently caress is actually happening.

Seriously, why is Trump's complete disinterest in filling government positions not a huge goddamn news story?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

Seriously, why is Trump's complete disinterest in filling government positions not a huge goddamn news story?
because the congress republicans and to a very slightly lesser extent the rest of capital want government to be hamstrung to fund their own tax cuts and parachute packages in the event of society's collapse

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Is there any conceivable way this happened that doesn't involve the radar operator on the destroyer sleeping on the job?

One of the ships involved can stop in a ship length. The other is a container vessel. I bet the poor Filipinos on the container ship were just going nuts on the radio.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Isnt the whole Caesar thing another great example of people getting upset over something really dumb?

Showing the President getting murdered is a big loving deal, but doesn't his assassination end up leading to a civil war and most of the main characters dying? It has been a long time since I read Shakespeare but I thought thats what happened.

I get that people are upset at that depiction but isn't this a case of the play showing "Hey violent action is just going to get us all killed in the end?"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

OxySnake posted:

Isnt the whole Caesar thing another great example of people getting upset over something really dumb?

Showing the President getting murdered is a big loving deal, but doesn't his assassination end up leading to a civil war and most of the main characters dying? It has been a long time since I read Shakespeare but I thought thats what happened.

I get that people are upset at that depiction but isn't this a case of the play showing "Hey violent action is just going to get us all killed in the end?"

Critical Thinking is the devils work son.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

OxySnake posted:

Again, this is the perennial fallacy of thinking that Republicans will apply the same standards to us as we apply to them. They won't, they will apply the dumbest, most self-serving hypocritical interpretation to our actions while also insisting that what they've done is totally patriotic and cool. Imagine it like this: the Republicans share the same blame-assigning philosophy as your girlfriend

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

because the congress republicans and to a very slightly lesser extent the rest of capital want government to be hamstrung to fund their own tax cuts and parachute packages in the event of society's collapse

a part of government unstaffed is a part that can't advocate for its budget.

But more likely he's just stupid.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Critical Thinking is the devils work son.

The Texas board of education said this.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Robot Hobo posted:

Trump is waiting until he can star in a new season of The Apprentice, where each episode has a half-dozen washed up and b-grade celebrities competing to fill an absolutely vital government position just in time to hopefully avert some catastrophe caused by utter neglect. (Spoiler: it'll be too late to matter) The show will have huge ratings, and with Trump will also be a producer, he gets two paychecks for it. Sorry, three paychecks, since it'll be filmed at Mar-A-Lago.

Yeah, I'm joking... But in another six months this is all going to sound more realistic than whatever the gently caress is actually happening.

Because as humans we react. Proactive thinking as a group is not our strong suit. Individuals can be proactive but humans function differently in groups. It also requires specialized knowledge to know that A: Those positions haven't been filled. B: Normally they should have been filled or be going through the process of being filled. C: That not having people in charge at the highest levels is bad and only gets worse as time goes on.

As time goes on a crisis will erupt and Trump will attempt to point fingers at people in positions who only have acting authority and were not only not chosen for their competence but not chosen at all. At this point people will begin to react and that reaction will be blame, and as humans we're very good at hindsight.

The longer these positions are unfilled the more likely that some crisis will damage him politically. People will rightly ask, "Who's in charge?" and, "Who's responsible?" And he'll attempt to point the finger at people who do not exist. All of the wounds so far to his administration have been self-inflicted. We haven't seen what happens when they're not. It's only a matter of time until we see how he reacts to situations not of his own creation. My guess will be poorly, as he barely has enough people to cover for him right now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

OddObserver posted:

I always really disliked how we eventually reached a point where all (most) of our carriers are named after presidents. They used to have awesome and iconic names like Yorktown, Hornet, Wasp, Ranger. Now the only CVN not named after a person is the new Ford-class Enterprise, and she won't be launched for another 6 years.

Oh, and Jimmy Carter got a submarine named after him instead of a carrier, because he was a submariner.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What I want to know is how two massive loving ships hit each other. A quick google tells me cargo ships go about 33 mph and destroyers go about 40 mph. It's not like there's a whole lot of cover and concealment on the loving ocean so maybe turn next time?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No its the warship that sped ahead to try cut off the container ship when it should have slowed and let the cargo ship pass.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 17, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

OxySnake posted:

they also seem to completely ignore that there *were* productions of Julius Caesar that portrayed him as an Obama-esque figure during his presidency as well. Not to mention all those tea party rallies with the lovely little effigies of The President of the United States of America being hung. But I'm sure those had some sort of great artistic merit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

So yeah they violated rules by trying to pass in trying rather than giving way by turning and passing behind.

:thunk:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Synthbuttrange posted:

[quote="M_Gargantua" post="473485065"]
So that gps track plus the post-collision photos show that the crystal turned ~15 degrees to port about 10 minutes before the collision. 10m is a small time frame for ship maneuvers (1nm). Then the Fitzgerald (likely)tried to increase speed to pass in front by a reasonable amount .

So yeah they violated rules by trying to pass in trying rather than giving way by turning and passing behind.

So the cargo container violated the rules? What'll happen to them? Who prosecutes? Their home nation? Us? Japan?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
:grin:

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Lote posted:

President Trumbull is not going to get an invite anytime soon to the USA. He certainly won't get a scoop of ice cream for dinner.

This is about the only positive thing Turnbull / LNP have done in the years since they were elected. Don't be confused by the "liberal" in the party name. They're a bunch of regressive 1%ers who would love to take us down the same path as the USA.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

It's technically Saturday I just lost a bet because between Sessions and Mueller nobody was fired on petty and/or flagrantly illegal pretenses by the end of the work week. Now I owe my friend a beer. This really is the worst timeline. :(

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/slyphon/status/875872316789600260

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The ship crash reminds me a bit of the lighthouse joke. Hopefully we get some amusing radio chatter out of it...

Also the navy really needs to stop crashing into things around Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Again, this is the perennial fallacy of thinking that Republicans will apply the same standards to us as we apply to them. They won't, they will apply the dumbest, most self-serving hypocritical interpretation to our actions while also insisting that what they've done is totally patriotic and cool. Imagine it like this: the Republicans share the same blame-assigning philosophy as your girlfriend

:thunk:

• Locked thread