Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I've been playing games since Uptime floppies and had an apple 2e version of Wizardry. My unpopular opinion is that grinding is good. Video game narrative is generally garbage in any game with grinding. If you remove battles from the Final Fantasies or any rpg and the games are boring 3 hour slogs moving from one bad dialog maguffin to the next.

Grinding is fun, it triggers the lizard brain. It allows you to see progress, and adds a sense of danger and stakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

An A press is an A press. You can't say it's only half

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Wild posted:

I've been playing games since Uptime floppies and had an apple 2e version of Wizardry. My unpopular opinion is that grinding is good. Video game narrative is generally garbage in any game with grinding. If you remove battles from the Final Fantasies or any rpg and the games are boring 3 hour slogs moving from one bad dialog maguffin to the next.

Grinding is fun, it triggers the lizard brain. It allows you to see progress, and adds a sense of danger and stakes.

progression is good, grinding is not. you do not have to grind in final fantasy games, they are balanced such that you will gain enough levels by playing normally to have a good challenge throughout the game. if you grind you are spending time to decrease to challenge of the battle system.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I can't max out GTA V at 1080p, even with 2 1080s Ti... I guess I'm CPU limited?

CPU are misaligned

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolphin posted:

The stereotypes about people who call themselves gamers are all true. Don't invite them to parties, or engage them at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtAitss3XMM

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

what is it that i am observing

who are these fat and balding man-dorks

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Mario 64 gets grandfather-clause'd--and rightly so given the influence it has had on setting the standard for 3D platformers--but as a game in its own right it hasn't aged well. The physics are clunky, the levels are more frustrating than challenging, and the aesthetics feel like a random sampling of default polygon skins (which they pretty much are). It's still good, it just feels like it's on too high a shelf.

the real true early masterpiece of 3d platforming is rayman 2. like they literally keep releasing it on new platforms with zero changes even to this day and the general response isn't 'this game hasn't aged well' its 'i already own this game on the dreamcast why are you selling the same game with a different name'

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

what type of hosed up human being scoffs at a tomato, not because of its taste, but because its red

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The only good 3D platformer was Jumping Flash.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
how the gently caress do you get that fat and still have incredibly specific eating habits and refuse to eat things based on color alone

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

nigga crab pollock posted:

how the gently caress do you get that fat and still have incredibly specific eating habits and refuse to eat things based on color alone

quite easy if all you eat is chicken nuggets

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zorodius posted:

Mario Galaxy actually sucks compared to 64. Although Galaxy has a lot of creative, colorful ideas in it, 64 has a wider space of actual gameplay. Galaxy is literally on rails half the time.

I'm triggered.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

This thread is Fuckjng stupid

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nigga crab pollock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bob NewSCART posted:

This thread is Fuckjng stupid

They said unpopular opinions haha lol

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Sid Vicious posted:

They said unpopular opinions haha lol

I hate that

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This forums poster asked people for their WORST video game opinions. You won't believe what happened next!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

everyone who plays dota or league should be executed on live television

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Maya Fey posted:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

:yeah:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zorodius posted:

Mario Galaxy actually sucks compared to 64. Although Galaxy has a lot of creative, colorful ideas in it, 64 has a wider space of actual gameplay. Galaxy is literally on rails half the time.
mario galaxy 2 is an excellent game, but it has more of a "point A to point B" level design like original Super Mario Bros. than a Mario 64-style open world. been kind of craving the latter for a while but it looks like Mario Odyssey will be just that

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i'm just stoked there's weird real-world-inspired places because that kind of weird poo poo was the best part of the best mario games

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
2D mario is better because goombas and koopas are an actual threat when you can't just walk around them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dolphin posted:

The fact that 90% of videogame characters are deformed sex monsters for gamers to jack off to is an artistic decision and not at all misogyny bro

Dont talk about mario that way

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

there is no such thing as misogynistic art. furthermore,

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The custom Silent Hill campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 is the best Silent Hill game since 4 by a wide margin

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Dreamcast's Power Stone was the last good fighting game.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Snk kept making fighting games after that so you are wrong.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

Harsh but fair

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

The Doom Guy could beat Link to death.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was part of a Facebook group that all they did was pitch the most insane "who would win" scenarios and one of the best I ever saw was Kratos vs Dante and everyone in the thread was like 10/1 Kratos to Dante but I valiantly championed Dante, mostly by proving that the Greek Gods and the Titans are basically punks.

My unpopular opinion is that Dante (OG, obviously) would effortlessly style on any other video game protagonist ever. Doom Guy, Gordo Freemo, Adam Jensen, 2B, literally every final fantasy character at the same time. It would be a SSSlaughterhouse all the way to the top.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Goku would style on all your poo poo.

Oh wow you can beat giant monsters?? *Destroys the entire universe*

He even got a new game coming out soon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

goku kratos and all those turdlords that never stop scaling their power to ever rising threats and just up the ante every time like oh i need to kill ginyu force!! so hard! Oh no! Now Vegeta!!! that was harder but i came through!! Frieza!!! I had to bleach my hair but i pulled it off! Cell! gently caress! So hard. I can't fart without blowing planet earth off course so to keep the narrative reasonably paced i temporarily "die" now and then so the minor players can give us some perspective for a bit while I... COME BACK TO SAVE THE Ddayyy! Triumphant return! So hard!!!!! but Iiiiii Did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Actually Goku couldn't beat Cell. Gohan beat cell

educate yourself, kiddo :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

half my seed beats any breed - goku

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fartbox posted:

Actually Goku couldn't beat Cell. Gohan beat cell

educate yourself, kiddo :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Uh Goku wanted Gohan to beat him so that maybe Gohan could pick up some of the slack of saving the Galaxy and maybe Goku can take a loving three day weekend for once and bang his wife and maybe try his hand at being an involved father for a change.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Silent Hill 2 and 3 are borderline unplayable because the controls are so bad. Also, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the best Silent Hill game.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

My unpopular opinion is that Dante (OG, obviously) would effortlessly style on any other video game protagonist ever. Doom Guy, Gordo Freemo, Adam Jensen, 2B, literally every final fantasy character at the same time. It would be a SSSlaughterhouse all the way to the top.
Bayonetta

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GTAV is worth 60 bucks for the SP alone, and 13 year olds spamming bad reviews on steam is lolworthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Normally I'd support mod communities but you know if those same mod developers had TakeTwo's legal dept they'd be sending C&D's to everyone who made a mod sharing a name with the same vowels in it.