Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derra
Dec 29, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wanted to see if I could try Omega, but uhm, does the Tame thing only work in the GBA version or something? It doesn't appear to do anything to him on SNES, and if that doesn't work I'm not sure how this fight would be possible.

Yeah it was a bug introduced in the GBA version. Don't try Omega on SFami FFV with this party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Congrats KharlanTree and Doom Goon! Two more berserkers for the tree :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Yeah it was a bug introduced in the GBA version. Don't try Omega on SFami FFV with this party.

Welp

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
At this point, the Berserker Tree is pretty much being placed under a waterfall.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

At this point, the Berserker Tree is pretty much being placed under a waterfall.

It's not even 150% saturated. Y'all can do better than that.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 16, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012
That being said, Omega isn't *impossible* with this party. I've done similar Fiestas before.

Bring Elixirs and levels. More levels = more damage, increased resistance to Encircle and an HP buffer for some attacks. Elixirs because you will need HP & MP.

Your primary source of damage is going to be the Dragoon, Jumping with a Trident equipped. Jumps always hit (getting past Omega's 95% evasion) and the electric element of the Trident penetrates Omega's 190 defense.

I *believe* Yellow Dragons should still do 9999 per !Release, right? Never done it myself but nothing is stopping that. Not enough to kill but takes off 40% of his HP.

Setup would be (with key equipment):
Dragoon w/ !White
Trident
Aegis Shield
Genji Armor (Gives confuse immunity, steal from Necrophobe Gilgamesh with the Thief Knife)
Hermes Sandals

WM with !Catch (Yellow Dragon)
Lamia Tiara (Bought in Phantom Village, immunity to confuse)
Hermes Sandals

Beastmaster with !White (Yellow Dragon)
No way for confuse immunity (well, the Bone Mail works, but seeing as you're reliant on !White...)
Some weak weapon, like a Knife or Dagger, in case you get confused so you deal 0 damage
Hermes Sandals

Berserker with whutever:
Any Dagger (You do NOT want your Berserker dealing damage, which they will do with a sufficiently strong Axe. Omega will counter and will likely screw you).
Aegis Shield
Whatever

Berserkers are naturally confuse-immune, so that's good. Hopefully they can soak or block some of Omega's attacks.

Confusing some cats to get your party floating pre-fight is highly recommended.

Keep everyone above 50% health and shelled up. Keep the Beastmaster from being confused. I'd release the dragons once he drops below 20k hp. Otherwise, it's a slow and steady burn, attacking when you can.

It may be better to have Catch on the Dragoon as well.

This is *not* a guaranteed kill setup. You will die a lot. Instantly, in many cases. It will take a large portion of luck as well as learning when it is safe to attack Omega (and the Jump delay makes this even harder).

But a win is possible.

derra fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 16, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I've done that kind of brute force and ignorance kill before. Not happening today.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

dis astranagant posted:

3 on !calm while your berserker takes him down with the rune axe.

Huh, don't know why I didn't think to use the Rune Axe...I used equip lances and used the trident on my berserker. :downs:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mikl posted:

Alright, here goes! Third time entering the Fiesta, and hopefully second time finishing. Random run, as last year.

And to make this more fun:

:toxx: I'll be watering the Berserker tree at the tune of $10 for each goon-completed run using The Run's jobs, between them being officially announced and The Run starting. (Once per goon, no total upper limit) :toxx:

Get those runs in :getin:

Not too late to stick another person with a zerker, I hope!

First fiesta run ever and also my first time actually beating FFV - I used to play it a lot as a kid but never finished, which is a weird trend I had going with FF games. I quit right before the final areas on IV, V, VI, IX, and X the first time I played them, and I have no idea why (probably because I used to be really OCD about collecting everything).

Finished just under the wire, but that was fun. Killed Shinryu too but like I dumbass I overwrote the screenshot on my clipboard with this one. Berserk + Blink spam made him a complete chump, he didn't hit me a single time and honestly didn't have nearly as much HP as I was expecting based on my experiences with other FF superbosses. Also played all the pianos, did all the Gilgamesh fights, and got all 12 legendary weapons.

Omega ain't happening, although it's pretty cool that there is actually a way to beat him on the SNES version with this party if you are dedicated enough. This game really is kind of mechanically incredible.

I think this run might have spoiled me, I don't know what I'm going to do without a white mage, it let me get away with so many sloppy mistakes. Not a bad party comp at all, though Dragoon was incredibly boring.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And here's my re-butt-al (Lurdiak!) run, fresh off a vacation day..

Just a normal win as I haven't played FFV in a long-rear end time and only two tablets because of Holy. Neo Exdeath nearly wiped me out when Almagest came at a bad time and left me with only Krile at ~30 HP. But Hermes Sandals and quick Item use got me out of that situation, followed by one more Holy each to the two remaining parts.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Congrats Grizzled Patriarch, and congrats Sage Grimm! :toot:

As a reminder, the deadline for my toxx is when The Run starts, which is tomorrow at 10 AM EST, so :siren: you have a little over twenty hours to get your run in! :siren:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Post-wind shrine save ready to go! I hope this goes live by Sunday, lots of time stuck in a car.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Also played all the pianos, did all the Gilgamesh fights, and got all 12 legendary weapons.
Oh yeah, I was also surprised how easy it was to get everything with The Run party. I think last year with berserkers I used elixirs/hi-potions every six steps or so in the Great Sea Trench, and I remember meatcastle taking forever too. Not this time!

Killed Shinryu too but like I dumbass I overwrote the screenshot on my clipboard with this one.
Speaking of, why doesn't mGBA support output of multiple screenshot files (it's one per game filename)? The only reason I got that Shinryu screenshot was because I had a portable backup on a USB.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Doom Goon posted:

Oh yeah, I was also surprised how easy it was to get everything with The Run party. I think last year with berserkers I used elixirs/hi-potions every six steps or so in the Great Sea Trench, and I remember meatcastle taking forever too. Not this time!

Speaking of, why doesn't mGBA support output of multiple screenshot files (it's one per game filename)? The only reason I got that Shinryu screenshot was because I had a portable backup on a USB.

Use Bizhawk with mGBA core. (Or OpenEmu with mGBA core, if on macOS). Solves all problems.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Rirse posted:

Awesome. I hope someone posts a example photo of how this looks ingame.

(https://freki.aerdan.org/fsrp.ups if you want Fiesta and sound restoration patches alongside.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Aerdan posted:

(https://freki.aerdan.org/fsrp.ups if you want Fiesta and sound restoration patches alongside.)

That does look good. I probably use it on my second run after I am done with the SNES version. Do you have a version with only the sound restoration?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Unfortunately the only PSP GBA emulator I could find had some pretty significant lag with FFV (which is a shame because it worked so good with Shining Force)... I'm probably going to just play it on my Kindle again this year.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

KataraniSword posted:

Even in FF4, Slow works on pretty much everything except the final boss and turns the game from a nightmare to beatable. Sap is pretty useful, too, and is the one reason Bio still sees use after Flare comes around.

Status in 6 and 7 are mostly bad because the games give you so many flavors of "do a boatload of damage" that you really don't need to bother looking at status effects. It's the Single Player Pokemon problem: "why would I waste time with things that are not Damage when the quickest way through a battle is to do damage constantly?"

Slow/Haste, Protect and Shell are still SUPER important in FF6 and 7, if not as great as Sap, etc.

Also, in Wutai Tower, it's practically required that you fit Yuffie out with ways to inflict status and buff herself.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/875876382772871168

Late breaking The Run™ News.

$10,000 - Must defeat Shinryu

$12,500 - Must defeat Omega

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Huzzah! posted:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/875876382772871168

Late breaking The Run™ News.

$10,000 - Must defeat Shinryu

$12,500 - Must defeat Omega

Effective at the start of the run, or when the first player gets to... I guess the entrance to the Rift?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Didn't the runners already agree that they would all go for Omega and Shinryu anyway?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Samuel Clemens posted:

Didn't the runners already agree that they would all go for Omega and Shinryu anyway?

Probably!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm sorry I have no idea how to take bigger than super-tiny screenshots with VBA-M :( But I got it done before midnight, that counts, right?

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

By the power of mspaint 500% Resize:

Good run, is that 4 haste rings equipped?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Asimov posted:

By the power of mspaint 500% Resize:

Good run, is that 4 haste rings equipped?

:syoon: my hero

Yeah, went with the Hermes Sandals to increase damage output for Holy Lance !Jumps, Rune Axe zerking and !White Holy

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Right... shoes not rings. Are there other good accessory alternatives? I am aware of the elemental absorption items but haste seems like a pretty solid choice in general.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm not a pro at this by any means but I found Elven Mantles super useful until I could buy the Hermes Sandals. Mantles + Aegis / Ice / Fire shields made a ton of hard-hitting boss attacks completely whiff.

There were a few other handy ones, namely Wall Ring, which lets you cheese at least one boss (probably more).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Asimov posted:

Right... shoes not rings. Are there other good accessory alternatives? I am aware of the elemental absorption items but haste seems like a pretty solid choice in general.

Elven Mantles are pretty top tier for most of the game since they provide a 33% chance to nullify physical attacks. Reflect Rings are also good accessories for certain portions due to the initial Reflect status it gives you.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asimov posted:

Haste shoes are probably the best in general, but the elemental rings and angel rings are better in specific fights or to cover weaknesses in party composition.

For example, if you don't have a white mage but you do have a black mage, you can equip everyone with flame rings to turn your fire spells into healing spells. This can also let you heal someone wearing the bone mail.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Rirse posted:

That does look good. I probably use it on my second run after I am done with the SNES version. Do you have a version with only the sound restoration?

https://freki.aerdan.org/srp.ups

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

*dives across the finish line*

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I made it! Just in time!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
One more at the last minute:

And also two of my favorite moments:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Y'all are awesome :)

Right now people who've completed The Run are derra, Supremezero, Samuel Clemens, ZiegeDame, Dwall, plot.lost, Huzzah!, Detheros, ssmagus, Kliff, KharlanTree, Doom Goon, Grizzled Patriarch, Sage Grimm, oldskool, StrangeAeon, Twelve by Pies, and Bregor. That's eighteen, unless I've missed someone.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 17, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwarzwald posted:

Haste shoes are probably the best in general,

To clarify on this, since the game itself isn't forthcoming about it, technically Hermes Sandals do one thing, give a character "Always: Haste".

On a more nitty-gritty level, that means they prevent absolute anything else that has an effect on ATB speed from hitting. Slow and Stop are the obvious ones there, but the less obvious are Sleep and Paralyze. Coincidentally, these are all statuses that the Ribbon does not block. (Ribbon in FF5 blocks Instant KO, Petrify, Frog, Blind, Poison, Old, Berserk, and Silence)

The Hermes Sandals are amazing and generally you'll want a full team wearing them once you can get to World 3 outside of incredibly niche situations (needing Reflect or elemental absorbtion against a boss, typically in non-standard Omega or Shinryu strategies)

Until then, Elven Mantles are great since they give an added chance to evade physical attacks (and it stacks with the Samurai's Shirahadori, shields, and Main Gauche/Sasuke's Katana blocking, for what it's worth). Outside of job-specific accessories (Thief's Glove, Kornago Gourd) you generally will only use other accessories to fill an empty slot. Most of them aren't good.

tl;dr: Hermes Sandals are best, Elf Mantles are second best, Reflect Rings and Elemental/Angel Rings are good for unusual setups. Everything else is trash garbage.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Mikl posted:

Right now people who've completed The Run are derra, Supremezero, Samuel Clemens, ZiegeDame, Dwall, plot.lost, Huzzah!, Detheros, ssmagus, Kliff, KharlanTree, Doom Goon, Grizzled Patriarch, Sage Grimm, oldskool, StrangeAeon, Twelve by Pies, and Bregor. That's eighteen, unless I've missed someone.

its for the children

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is it true that combat speed doesn't affect your party, so always put it on 6?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So I haven't played FF5 since the first fan patch game out for the SNES game, but this year I thought I'd give the Fiesta a try. I signed up for a PureChaos run, because why not?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mikl posted:

When are you calling it for last minute entries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bruceski posted:

Is it true that combat speed doesn't affect your party, so always put it on 6?

That's correct.

• Locked thread