Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The 1.6.2 patch is 'current' for the game itself, the 1.7 version was using new multiplayer networking code that wasn't working as well as hoped and has been put back into beta. The change just reverts the game back to the old network code but all the updated features, mechanics and bug fixes are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Syrnn posted:

That IS damnably odd. Your incredibly handsome race seems to have a 48% attraction cap on Spiritualists, so the actual number of them can't be that far behind, while pacifism caps at 7% but they make up half of your politically active pops. It's pretty much 1:1 pacifist where you SHOULD have Spiritualists. Honestly if you didn't make an Ethics shift at any point in that game, I'd chalk it up as a bug. I mean, it's possible that if your governing Ethics includes (Fanatic) Pacifism, that all your +Governing Ethics Attraction is just RNGing towards them like mad, but that seems incredibly wrong. Like I said in my monster :words: post above, I'm fairly new to Stellaris, so I really can't say for sure, but I've never seen anything of the like. I hope someone who knows better can answer or that it works out for you in the long run. :ohdear:

There are a few requirements before certain factions can form beyond just having the ethic present in the population. A simple one is that say for the Xenophile faction, you need to have met another alien race. For spiritualist, you also need to have met another race (I'm not sure why) AND have one of the following:
-Robotic Workers Technology
-Surveyed a Gaia or Tomb world
-Subdermal Stimulation Technology
-Ascension Perk Flesh is Weak

You'll notice that none of those are very "spritualist" except for the Gaia/Tomb world one, so if you haven't found one of them yet, you might not see the faction appear for a while. I think the main rationale is that as a conservative faction, they form in OPPOSITION to those developments (except for the surveying one).

Also, although in this case he didn't have any slaves, I also want to point out that it's not enough to just have 5 pops with the ethic present in your empire for a faction to form; they have to also be eligible to join a faction (so slaves don't count, nor do nerve stapled pops). So you might have 100 egalitarian slaves but there's less than 5 egalitarian non-slave pops in your empire, the faction won't appear.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There are a few requirements before certain factions can form beyond just having the ethic present in the population. A simple one is that say for the Xenophile faction, you need to have met another alien race. For spiritualist, you also need to have met another race (I'm not sure why) AND have one of the following:

You'll notice that none of those are very "spritualist" except for the Gaia/Tomb world one, so if you haven't found one of them yet, you might not see the faction appear for a while. I think the main rationale is that as a conservative faction, they form in OPPOSITION to those developments (except for the surveying one).

Also, although in this case he didn't have any slaves, I also want to point out that it's not enough to just have 5 pops with the ethic present in your empire for a faction to form; they have to also be eligible to join a faction (so slaves don't count, nor do nerve stapled pops). So you might have 100 egalitarian slaves but there's less than 5 egalitarian non-slave pops in your empire, the faction won't appear.

I appreciate the insight into this, since I haven't had to struggle to make a governing ethic faction appear. I do think it's a bit odd that spiritualism forms in opposition to something, since at the very least it would be something concerned with death (not to get too simplistic about religion and culture). As far as the slaves thing, I think both Hryme and I already made note that slaves can't participate in politics, so they can't form factions. It is a bit curious why some things are explained in raw arithmetic while things like whether a faction's Issues are able to go green/red or not are left entirely under the hood, but in general it's a game that's pretty transparent about what things do, even if some of the interactions between them aren't as obvious.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Aha this expains it. I never did any of these things. No Gaia or Tomb worlds nearby and I never researched the Robotic Workers technology. I guess I should have read the wiki.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does anyone have any idea what the blue brain in this recent Stellaris dev LP indicates? Maybe we're getting another hive mind government?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Anticheese posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the blue brain in this recent Stellaris dev LP indicates? Maybe we're getting another hive mind government?

Probably some sort of Borg-equivalent.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Unlocks starting as just a giant planet-sized organic brain.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

GunnerJ posted:

This should have been an option at release, to be honest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nosfereefer posted:

This should have been an option at release, to be honest.
As should organic vs technological origins

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yo the OP is outdated, what mods are good? I've got the extra rooms and flags for flavor and variance, but it's hard to tell beyond that because it's all Stargate and weird poo poo Steam users care about.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Yo the OP is outdated, what mods are good? I've got the extra rooms and flags for flavor and variance, but it's hard to tell beyond that because it's all Stargate and weird poo poo Steam users care about.

I like the auto auto explore mod, because gently caress waiting until midgame to automate a dumb chore (surveying systems.) I'm also a fan of the 1080p UI overhaul mod, it's great.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Send this guy 30 clams and he'll make you the mod of your dreams: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933055903

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

"Pathetic human race: arranging their knowledge by category just made it easier to absorb! Dewey, you fool, your decimal system has played right into my hands! Hahahaha!"

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
This should also include a romance option with the Infinity Sphere.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Romance option with the Unbidden that's like that Futurama episode where everyone marries another universe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was curious about the Prethoryn so I used the console to summon them. Their fleets seem to expand exponentially. :eyepop:

I'm not sure how the mechanic works. Do they infest a planet and then the planet disappears and turns into fleets?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
No, not quite. They will infest a planet to take territory (and ruin the planet) and that will allow them to spawn more fleets at that location, but so long as they hold any planets fleets will continue to spawn; more planets just equals more fleets. They do not need to take over a new planet to spawn a new fleet though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Why do their planets disappear, then? They take over territory for a while, then the planets and territory color vanish and it's just empty systems full of military stations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume because they ate everything.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Do the planets disappear? It's been a while since I last saw them.

I know they will 'occupy' the planet while they purge all the pops then it turns into one of those goo/pus covered planets. If you bombard it clean then it switches to barren and I don't think you can terraform it back. There's also a lot of glitchy poo poo that goes on with them though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

This also immensely annoyed me in a previous game; I was using hyperlanes, and had a system which was completely cut off because all the outgoing hyperlanes passed through a hostile empire, but I could still make full use of the minerals and whatnot that planet was producing. I can understand why the research was getting out, and arguably the energy credits, but how was I able to use those minerals to build ships in other systems?

Smuggling!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Isn't that one of the civic-options for normal hiveminds?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

WampaLord posted:

I like the auto auto explore mod, because gently caress waiting until midgame to automate a dumb chore (surveying systems.).

Yeah, at first I was like "ah this is interesting" and then in my third game after that change I realized it loving sucked.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Egh, the auto-explore mod is kind of eh I used it once and found it to be annoying, as it ends up exploring areas I don't care about. In the beginning I like to map things myself anyway and self direct the science vessels to where I want to survey, it really isn't until it starts showing up as a researchable tech that it even matters to have them auto explore and by that point I'd rather actually have it as a researched tech than a modcheat.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 17, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I use an auto explore mod, but I always manually​explore the surrounding systems before sending my guys out to auto explore everything.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
I think a mod adding an auto explore button to military ships would be way more useful. Queuing up those early corvette scouts are the true horror.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

MilkmanLuke posted:

I think a mod adding an auto explore button to military ships would be way more useful. Queuing up those early corvette scouts are the true horror.

Since my construction ship doesn't do much in the beginning has no leader and very little cost associated with it, I usually send it scouting, that way if it runs into the old guard or something in some inescapable way I don't lose my whole fleet and fresh faced leader in a scouting mission. By the time that the science ships are done surveying it can come back home and make stations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Syfe posted:

Since my construction ship doesn't do much in the beginning has no leader and very little cost associated with it, I usually send it scouting, that way if it runs into the old guard or something in some inescapable way I don't lose my whole fleet and fresh faced leader in a scouting mission. By the time that the science ships are done surveying it can come back home and make stations.

You don't have to send the whole fleet, you can split it into three fleets and unassign the admiral.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

You don't have to send the whole fleet, you can split it into three fleets and unassign the admiral.

Yeah, I'm aware. So little happens early game that I think for me that would be overkill anyway, the only plus to sending military out to me is to get my fleet admiral the scouting trait. But beyond that I don't need to explore in more than a quick circular pattern or two around my home world. But it's nice to see how everybody handles this in different ways.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Let's face it whether you need to rebuild a single corvette or a single construction ship the cost is pretty minimal.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rougey posted:

So Reddit yielded a funny this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

Hah, that's pretty great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've got a fairly extensive mod collection that's all compatible with each other (and there's a surprising amount of mods that are not compatible), if anyone wants to give it a try. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=931238053 Doesn't include any outright cheating mods.

Someone was asking about automating station construction, the autobuild mod has that option. One of the few things I use it for (the other is autobuilding robot pops), since the added mod buildings aren't taken into account by its scripting.

E: Some of the mods will complain about versions, but they all work fine for at least the last official update (haven't tested with 1.7 yet, but it should work too).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 18, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Rougey posted:

So Reddit yielded a funny this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

I wanna hear what filk about Stellaris would be like now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I've got a fairly extensive mod collection that's all compatible with each other (and there's a surprising amount of mods that are not compatible), if anyone wants to give it a try. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=931238053 Doesn't include any outright cheating mods.

Someone was asking about automating station construction, the autobuild mod has that option. One of the few things I use it for (the other is autobuilding robot pops), since the added mod buildings aren't taken into account by its scripting.

E: Some of the mods will complain about versions, but they all work fine for at least the last official update (haven't tested with 1.7 yet, but it should work too).

Question for you and everyone else; what trait mods are definitely balanced? I've got my eye on these three but looking at some of the traits I get the feeling I might get more than I should from them.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683175110
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681576508
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850721710

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Are migration treaties still broken? Cause I'm getting gently caress all from the empires I've signed them with.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I was getting people in one of my games a little bit ago. It was really nice because I was getting someone's proles, so I was able to slap them on mineral deposits and get those extra bonuses.

Are you getting them with people who have similar habitability? People won't migrate to low habitability planets.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, I've used droids to populate their planet preferences. Could it be an effect of playing a xenophobe empire? I'd been running pacifist/xenophobe for the unity cheese, but got enough rep with two empires to sign the treaties with.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Black Griffon posted:

Question for you and everyone else; what trait mods are definitely balanced? I've got my eye on these three but looking at some of the traits I get the feeling I might get more than I should from them.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683175110
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681576508
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850721710

In terms of balance it goes Svafa > United > Additional, though none of them are really that overpowered. The Additional Traits in particular are a little bit unbalanced compared to the vanilla ones, yeah.

You can use them together but they won't fit all in your modify species menu. Probably the only issue I haven't been able to get around, but you can still select most of them which is enough for me.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

So today my wife and I learned that there is no such thing as a Federation victory with AI allies. We had been cultivating a very nice game over a few days not where we had been largely sticking to playing nice as a duo of egalitarian materialist empires. We were the two top-dogs outside of Fallen Empires and all our buddies were top of the Relative Power list beneath us, so we were well on our way to a nice galactic unification. Then the Fanatic Spiritualist Fallen Empire awakened.

They blew up the Materialst FE and quickly started picking poo poo with smaller empires. One of those was a member of our Federation, so immediately outside of our terms: War. We each had fleets of roughly 40K+ with the Federation fleet rivalling our personal fleets by a good factor. All together, we easily had the firepower to deal with the Fallen Empire's 250K deathball... if our allies would show up at all, that is. My wife pointed out quickly to use the "take point" button, which I hadn't honestly ever known was a thing until today, but even under its auspices the AI only undocked the Federation Fleet to go bombard a planet of mine that was occupied, waiting for us to go liberate it. As fast as you could say "Planet Liberated", they were halfway across the galaxy with over half our firepower going to dock uselessly in the safety of their capital while the FE pumped out more and more fleets to bolster their numbers; this left us to fight a 300K fleet with little more than harsh language and rude gestures. Needless to say, there is simply no winning a war like that.

We honestly didn't want to wait around and try to draw things out for a white peace because we knew that from this point forward the rest of the game was going to be this exact struggle of any battle that we could not take with just the two of us being a futile effort as the AI mismanaged fleets and failed to give a poo poo about any offensive we tried to mount. Playing nice in Stellaris simply doesn't work. I'm sad, as this is a bit limiting on how much I'd ever want to play a Pacifist empire in the future, but we've basically had to realize that insofar as our games without other players, a Federation is only big enough for two.

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
So I'm pretty new to the game and all, but I take it that this isn't generally meant to happen right?

That's right, we've burnt a quarter of the galaxy fighting these fuckers and they vote one in as leader.

The worst part is that it made my personal hive fleet useless because it wouldn't grow without its leader and it can't be reassigned in any way.

• Locked thread