Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think a lot of the point of tanks is that their HP buffer allows them to go in first and initiate. Reinhardt, Winston and D-Va can all charge into the enemy team and start dealing damage, Zarya can bubble up a DPS hero or go in with high energy and Roadhog can land a pick with his hook. Orisa can't really do anything like that, she's extremely passive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think they made Orisa as a reinhardt replacement for people who can't stand using melee attacks in fps games (like me). From that lens shield increase makes some sense.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it seems like the concept is supposed to be that tanks are meant to soak damage but offense heroes are the ones to deal it, except most of the tanks are relatively decent at doing damage in the first place and all the offense heroes have lower health pools so it's kind of all screwed up. see: them loving with roadhog's hook and cook next patch

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I've tried playing orisa again a couple times recently and here's my hot take: orisa isn't so bad. she's better on defense or payload attack because of lack of mobility and she benefits nicely from shooting into tight chokes the red team is going to move through, she can put sustained pressure on red barriers, and using halt to grab someone trying to disengage around a corner to secure the kill is useful and handy. plus just halting people in general is fun to do and irritates them so give orisa a whirl and halt them all and shoot at their heads there's my orisa-pinions good day

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

it seems like the concept is supposed to be that tanks are meant to soak damage but offense heroes are the ones to deal it, except most of the tanks are relatively decent at doing damage in the first place and all the offense heroes have lower health pools so it's kind of all screwed up. see: them loving with roadhog's hook and cook next patch

Tanks in Overwatch are largely about applying pressure, especially when people wind up out of position. They don't really draw aggro in an MMO sense, you can't force anyone to focus on you (ask anyone whose team refuses to shoot Reinhardt's shield), so if tanks had high health pools but did really weak damage they'd be fairly easy to ignore. So instead they have hard-hitting weapons and abilities which generally come with more tradeoffs and conditions than something straightforward like an assault rifle or rocket launcher...they tend to all be closer range like D.Va's shotguns or have hoops to jump through like Zarya's charge, Winston does low single-target damage but his attacks cleave, Roadhog is infamous for his hook combo but it's on an 8 second cooldown, etc.

phthalocyanine posted:

I've tried playing orisa again a couple times recently and here's my hot take: orisa isn't so bad. she's better on defense or payload attack because of lack of mobility and she benefits nicely from shooting into tight chokes the red team is going to move through, she can put sustained pressure on red barriers, and using halt to grab someone trying to disengage around a corner to secure the kill is useful and handy. plus just halting people in general is fun to do and irritates them so give orisa a whirl and halt them all and shoot at their heads there's my orisa-pinions good day

We had a game yesterday where someone on our team switched to Orisa on Gibraltar defense and it worked super well, but part of that was the enemy team was running 0 flankers as I recall. Their entire strategy revolved around attempting to just brute-force their way through the shield and that didn't work for them and they didn't make any real changes to try and get around that. As soon as anybody on the enemy team starts playing Tracer or Genji Orisa's usefulness starts taking a sharp nosedive because her gun is awful at tracking small, quick-moving targets, it's easy for mobile characters to get behind her and drill through her still quite sizable and easy to hit head, and she has no mobility whatsoever. Even Reinhardt can desperately attempt to charge away or back away with his shield up or something.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

yeah both the good orisa games I had involved the red team not running any flankers, and the latter one we ended up losing because someone went pharah to take advantage of our lack of hitscan

Still, playing her a little more convinced me she's not necessarily bad at all times and is also kind of fun to play

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

One nice thing about Orisa vs other tanks, is that she can leave her shield up protecting the front while turning to deal with a flanker. You can use Halt like a mcree grenade and line up headshots while they are rubberbanding over.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean it's physically possible to do that yes but in practical terms her gun is pretty bad at actually threatening mobile flankers while they in return get to shoot at a big and, thanks to how her gun works, slow-moving target with comparatively little health for a tank.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Personal experience here, but I find her gun to still be pretty powerful. I can't mow down Tracers before they recall back or whatever, nor while I have quite as much murder as the relatively comparable Soldier but I have a shield to hide behind and basically infinite ammo, as well as a fairly low recharge "GOT ARMOR NOW" button. She doesn't melt people like Reinhart, but she also does it at range and can do it while shielding, as well as while having a miniature Zarya ult. She's good imo.

I like her more then Rein certainly, but soldier is also my offensive character of choice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she doesn't melt anything at all, period. orisa's damage is low enough that people can easily escape her and she's completely incapable of chasing a kill so there's not a lot she can do about it. she also has no burst damage to speak of and her weapon fires projectiles, making it hard to land hits on any of the smaller heroes, especially at range (which is where you want to be as orisa). it's hard to actually confirm a kill with orisa unless you're abusing her alt fire to pull people off a cliff. she's also squishy and can't defend herself from any flankers, ranged heroes, pharah, other tanks... hell, lucio can take orisa in a fight a lot of the time

Kerrrrrrr posted:

not true anymore, damage to barriers is a separate stat now

....this might be on ptr that's coming next week i forget

it is true on live but you're right that it will change once the ptr patch hits

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

holeh moleh i just had a comp game, im 3700 and just got the tar beaten out of me by a 4400 rank 109 player

why was i even in that match

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably because you had someone on your team who was also 4400, or sr decayed with true MMR of 4400, or because your team average was 3900 and thus they had a lot of 3500-3700s to make up for the 4400

I played against 4 pros + 2 masters the other day and we stomped them because the masters were so hilariously bad; a couple high ranks on the other team is never the whole story!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

because there are maybe 200 actual top 500 players (alts are everywhere up there) per region and it's really hard to actually get a full game with even just grandmasters together

I'm surprised you've not seen that happen more often at master tbh. hell, even diamond players will get sucked into top 500 games every now and then

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i was the bad master in this situation :(

every time i stepped out of cover to get a few shots in id get melted in 2 seconds after which the enemy team would do a merry jig on my flopping corpse

oh well learning opportunity as they say

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
re: Orisa is a bad character:

A while back I posted a guide on Orisa in the Tryhard thread. I've collectively put in close to 100 hours on the goofy robo-cow-cop (and you can tell she's a cow and not a horse because she has horns) so I like to think I at least know half the poo poo I'm saying, even if I'm just a lowly Diamond.

tl;dr, though, the most attractive parts about Orisa is that, while her weapon isn't as strong as Soldier's, her shield isn't as strong as Reinhardt's, and her HP isn't as large as D.Va's, she's one of the only characters that has the flexibility to do all of their jobs, even if she's not as good as having the real thing. No, her shield isn't as good as Reinhardt's, but it's not supposed to be, and if it were, there would be no reason to pick Reinhardt. No, Halt isn't as good as Graviton Surge, but it's an ability with an eight-second cooldown and Graviton Surge is a once-per-push Ultimate. You shouldn't judge Orisa on her individual parts against other characters because they aren't supposed to stack up; you should be judging her as a whole.

I'm not trying to convince Orisa is the best character in the game, far from it, and she gets absolutely buttblasted by Tracer and Genji. I'm just trying to convince people that she's not useless.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

both times i played her was because i was filling for comps that lacked a shield tank and a lot of long range damage and i had good results with her doing fill in that role

im sold on cow horse cop, halt the world

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
a good buff for orisa would be to change her into a robo dog

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean anyone can do good with any character so I don't think Orisa is USELESS but in a game where you can freely pick your lineup having Orisa be a Jack of all trades but master of none doesn't strike me as a solid foundation for a character. Sombra is a bad character but she at least has some kind of attempt at identity as a "support DPS" even if the execution is lacking. Orisa to me really does feel like a character slapped together from everyone else's leftovers and not in a good way. I'd like for them to find a stronger identity to mold her kit around, though the ship may have sailed on that, because right now it feels like the primary reason people pick Orisa is "we need a Rein but nobody wants to play Rein."

From a purely personal perspective I find her clunky and unsatisfying to use. Her gun looks cool but it feels sludgy to shoot, Halt feels kind of finicky, and Fortify is all right but it doesn't have the dramatic impact that a Zarya bubble does both in terms of mechanical impact or visual pop. On the other hand you being diamond places you higher than most folks who post here so idk maybe you're an early adopter of what's gonna wind up being the new hotness.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Was going to do a post on the robot horse cow but I'll just point at Maple Leafs post. She rules and is a blast to play.

Only thing I would disagree with is Genji as he is never really a problem, it's freaking Sombras that cause me the most pain.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Doesn't the robo horse have a whole lot of horse- related emotes :colbert:
Efi will not be happy about this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

orisa is a moose

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Orisa is a majestic snuggle-bug.

The snuggle is halt and a face full of laser machinegun.

Megasoma = best skin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

World Famous W posted:

Was going to do a post on the robot horse cow but I'll just point at Maple Leafs post. She rules and is a blast to play.

Only thing I would disagree with is Genji as he is never really a problem, it's freaking Sombras that cause me the most pain.

the difference between a good and bad genji is bigger than pretty much any other hero in overwatch

idk what a sombra could do to frustrate orisa tho. the hack will always be annoying for anyone but that's one damage race she can actually win

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mostly I get annoyed by her emp. It will eat the shield that is up (and shut down the ult if out to) and shut down all the utility skills. A skilled Sombra will infuriate me to no end.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 16, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I like playing as Orisa when my team actually pushes with me. It's really easy to constantly break down the enemy shield and just move up every 8 seconds. I usually play healers in comp tho so I haven't tried doing that in a non-QP setting

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think Orisa is fine at the level most people play at. She's dodgy if you have a high-skill offense character on the opposing team, of course, but a lot of folks love to go over meta trends and tier list stuff that many only matters at a pro level, and then only mostly so.

That's not to say people's concerns aren't legit, but people sure love to jump from "character that has competitive weaknesses" into "OMG trash fire never pick".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think Orisa is fine at the level most people play at. She's dodgy if you have a high-skill offense character on the opposing team, of course, but a lot of folks love to go over meta trends and tier list stuff that many only matters at a pro level, and then only mostly so.

That's not to say people's concerns aren't legit, but people sure love to jump from "character that has competitive weaknesses" into "OMG trash fire never pick".

Even in the gold leagues Orisa's pretty questionable in a lot of cases, is the problem. Sometimes a character can be bad (or suboptimal or undertuned, pick whichever adjective you want to avoid a derail about the subjectivity of "bad" and "good" because someone's a top 500 Orisa main) without it being reliant on the other team having some kind of insane DPS hard carry going on. Orisa's an extremely generous target...all the tanks are, really...with a fairly small health pool for the role and a clunky weapon that slows her down when firing. Even a mediocre Soldier can farm high ground headshots off of her and even if she yanks him down to ground level it's a fight she still might not come out of on top of.

Like I said earlier, just the other day we had one of our team switch to Orisa and it worked out super well, it was the right call and it contributed to us winning the game, and I don't want to take anything away from our tank player who certainly wasn't just asleep at the wheel but a large part of why it worked and why it was the right call was because the other team didn't really do anything to challenge it. If they'd started bringing flankers to bear backed up by a Pharah, if they adopted any sort of approach that wasn't simply "bash our heads against the barrier and hope we can brute-force our way through this chokepoint"...and bear in mind this was the second point of Gibraltar, the hangar with tons of vertical space and multiple catwalks and cubbyholes for high mobility characters to play with...then I don't think it would have worked out nearly so well.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I play one game of comp. First three rounds I play zenyatta, we are down 1-2 and largely because their monkey is bit of a problem. I switch to Lucio and we win 3-2.

Masteroverwatch gives 1-0 to Zen and 0-1 to Lucio. Que?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Ignore master overwatch

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Armacham posted:

Ignore master overwatch

Well ok, whatever, looks exactly the same on Overbuff.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ignore 3rd party sites

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Bolivar posted:

I play one game of comp. First three rounds I play zenyatta, we are down 1-2 and largely because their monkey is bit of a problem. I switch to Lucio and we win 3-2.

Masteroverwatch gives 1-0 to Zen and 0-1 to Lucio. Que?

It uses your public stats so it'll look like that directly in Overwatch too. Their stats API needs changes, beyond those coming in the PTR patch I mean.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
6v6 elim lockout is amazing

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

lol I came here to post this exact thing, this should be comp mode IMO

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lockout is a really good rubberbanding mechanic. I wonder if you could adapt the game mode into something long enough to be a competitive match.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

hell, lucio can take orisa in a fight a lot of the time

My personal experience verifies this, but my personal experience also says that, to be perfectly fair, since they buffed his damage Lucio can take quite a lot of people in a fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're right but orisa has 400 health, half of which is armor, and can give herself 50% damage reduction. it's not like tracer where you can oneshot her with a full burst of headshots

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

easily my favorite mode

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This thread desperately needs a title change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

RCarr posted:

This thread desperately needs a title change.

We're still waiting for the Internet to freak out about another Overwatch thing.