Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

One thing I really hope they take away from all of this: Don't make solo instances for MSQ for leveling content anymore, or at the very least make them much much much later in the story. Ambushing random magitek armors should not be a bottleneck for story, jfc.

Also I'm not sure which is funnier, the angry people on reddit or the people defending it on reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're not going to change a thing because this is a problem that hopefully won't exist in a few days. All we can do is pray that they maybe spread things out a bit in 5.0 like in Heavensward (which I'm beginning to believe was just a fluke and not intentional), or perhaps that they use all the money they rake in from story skip services and advertising with Mrs. Freshley to upgrade their equipment.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

One thing I really hope they take away from all of this: Don't make solo instances for MSQ for leveling content anymore, or at the very least make them much much much later in the story. Ambushing random magitek armors should not be a bottleneck for story, jfc.

Also I'm not sure which is funnier, the angry people on reddit or the people defending it on reddit.

I'm not very hopeful, their big take away is more likely going to be "welp, infrastructure not good enough, sorry guys". Cargo cult game development :woop:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

They're not going to change a thing because this is a problem that hopefully won't exist in a few days. All we can do is pray that they maybe spread things out a bit in 5.0 like in Heavensward (which I'm beginning to believe was just a fluke and not intentional), or perhaps that they use all the money they rake in from story skip services and advertising with Mrs. Freshley to upgrade their equipment.

lol if they don't make a workaround this will persist all loving week, into launch, until people stop playing or they get through.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

To be honest, I thought it'd fix itself by this morning and it hasn't at all, so I think the scale of the problem is bigger than we think it is. This is a server problem created by a design problem, and I don't expect them to do much involving buying more servers because that's just stupid, but going forward keeping this problem in mind when they design content should be a thing that happens.

And it hurts a little to say this, but I agree with you that HW's smooth launch was likely to just have been a fluke. When was the first solo instance in that MSQ? The hearing?

Also, these loving treants are hilarious. There are so many people in one spot that the treants get brought over, do their slam that slows, and it takes several seconds for the debuff to ripple through the entire group.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

To be honest, I thought it'd fix itself by this morning and it hasn't at all, so I think the scale of the problem is bigger than we think it is. This is a server problem created by a design problem, and I don't expect them to do much involving buying more servers because that's just stupid, but going forward keeping this problem in mind when they design content should be a thing that happens.

And it hurts a little to say this, but I agree with you that HW's smooth launch was likely to just have been a fluke. When was the first solo instance in that MSQ? The hearing?

Maybe you don't have to buy more servers, but if they want their game to continue being successful for years to come, they might thing about modernizing their back end to be more scalable. Blizzard did a lot of work on that end over the last few years and it's paid dividends.

I think it's dumb to just give them a pass, part of what you pay for in sub money is maintenance of their infrastructure.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So did they take a nerf bat to WAR as much as it *feels* like they took a nerf bat to WAR?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Also, these loving treants are hilarious. There are so many people in one spot that the treants get brought over, do their slam that slows, and it takes several seconds for the debuff to ripple through the entire group.

What's even funnier is there's a mini-boss FATE that spawns on the bridge right next to where Raubahn is standing. Screen can't even render half the group fighting the drat bear.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Woke up at 6 EST to click the Raubbie and got a good fifteen minutes of clicking in before it disconnected me. Progress!

Now I'm at some wedding thing thinking bout that clicking I'm gonna do tomorrow.

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

What's even funnier is there's a mini-boss FATE that spawns on the bridge right next to where Raubahn is standing. Screen can't even render half the group fighting the drat bear.

The best part is that you can drag the boss over to Raubahn and cleave everyone standing there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ComposerGuy posted:

So did they take a nerf bat to WAR as much as it *feels* like they took a nerf bat to WAR?
We lost Bloodbath and that really sucks, but the Beast Gauge changes are great imo. Storm's Path is essential now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I was in a fate train and my friend was waiting in a stack, and he couldn't see the 3 story tall bear 5 feet away from him because of the culling.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Maybe you don't have to buy more servers, but if they want their game to continue being successful for years to come, they might thing about modernizing their back end to be more scalable. Blizzard did a lot of work on that end over the last few years and it's paid dividends.

I think it's dumb to just give them a pass, part of what you pay for in sub money is maintenance of their infrastructure.

I don't give them a pass, but I'm being pretty realistic about what their options really are. The design team probably doesn't have very much control over how the servers are structured and, more importantly, very much control over buying and implementing More Server (my term to show ignorance for all of the things involved). I have no loving clue what their server architecture is and, most importantly, even if I did I wouldn't understand any of it. I don't criticize the server people because I have no way of understanding what their problem is, but I do have some understanding about game design, and when you design a game without taking into account things like hardware limitations and likely issues from server slams, that's something I classify as a design problem, not a server problem.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
PvP owns owns owns now, so at least there's that to do in the meantime.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

How is Sam for pvp? Might dick around doing that if I hit 60 and can't get through the hell gate still.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Hello I have come to join you in this dead gay anime catgirl simulator. I play Johanna Nyave.

Is it worth buying one of the skip potions and if so which one do you recommend prioritizing? I am tempted to skip over ARR because holy god there is a lot of filler but the actual main story is pretty decent.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hella good. you poo poo out damage.

a note for anyone playing melee in pvp: please just use safeguard and the self heal. please.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
The big problem I have is just that the MSQ blocks off the entire rest of the area.

Man all I wanna do is spearfish but that's in the ruby sea which means I need to get through raubahns wild ride.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reene posted:

Hello I have come to join you in this dead gay anime catgirl simulator. I play Johanna Nyave.

Is it worth buying one of the skip potions and if so which one do you recommend prioritizing? I am tempted to skip over ARR because holy god there is a lot of filler but the actual main story is pretty decent.

For the love of god don't buy a story skip until they fix the MSQ bottleneck.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do any of the DPS classes not involve micro managing a 4 combo buff? Restarted for the expansion and suddenly remembered why I was getting tired of Dragoon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Combo buttons are cool, they should bring that over to PvE

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

We lost Bloodbath and that really sucks, but the Beast Gauge changes are great imo. Storm's Path is essential now.

The penalty for changing stances means we lost a gigantic amount of durability (or damage) despite technically losing only one cooldown. It also just makes it feel really bad to stance dance, which removes one of my favorite parts of playing WAR.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Fister Roboto posted:

The bottleneck is just SB content, right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I really don't get why the charge in costs best gauge. It's a charge in... But I can't use it to start a fight? It should generate.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

They take some getting used to, but they wouldn't work for every class. Monk can freely weave between combos in PvE after all.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

It's "fine" on Omega. Or it was, briefly, in the morning :v:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Augus posted:

I thought they were going to when I saw the notes for pvp. I guess it gets semi complicated with branching combos, but you would basically just make the icon for the finisher I guess.

I did the opening quests for SAM and RDM, SAM seems strong but not nearly as interesting as RDM is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hunter Noventa posted:

They take some getting used to, but they wouldn't work for every class. Monk can freely weave between combos in PvE after all.

Sure as hell would work for Dragoon and Samurai tho, and my hotbar would be very grateful for it.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

I got SAM to 60 yesterday and now I, too, am cockblocked by cold steel. Can you get in if you keep spamming? Trying to decide if I should go for that, or level SAM other ways, or just go gather.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
was that a game of thrones in the 54 RDM quest?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kaempfer0080 posted:

I got SAM to 60 yesterday and now I, too, am cockblocked by cold steel. Can you get in if you keep spamming? Trying to decide if I should go for that, or level SAM other ways, or just go gather.

Don't try to spam it if you value your time or sanity. Just do something else, whether in game or irl.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I thought I was making a mistake not finishing the HW quest content and doing it on a RDM... kind of glad I did.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't try to spam it if you value your time or sanity. Just do something else, whether in game or irl.

Yeah, I've tried off and on between last night and this morning and haven't had luck (though people seem to get in eventually). Luckily I'm going to a wedding for the weekend this afternoon and hopefully things are sorted out when I get back on Monday.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, I've tried off and on between last night and this morning and haven't had luck (though people seem to get in eventually). Luckily I'm going to a wedding for the weekend this afternoon and hopefully things are sorted out when I get back on Monday.

It's frustrating for me because early access is basically the only time I had to play and now I can't.

I got home from work at 3:30 EST and tried again at different times throughout the morning. The crowd has only grown larger.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
I don't know how they plan to grow and retain new subscribers if they can't even handle the ones that they currently have.

The only way an issue like this is going to resolve itself is if more people stop playing and that's not really a good fix. They should really look into a built-in instance queue to these quests or actually deploy more servers with the new data center they moved into. I know theres a ton of posts about entitlement but this is bad PR and poor business sense.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Did the first dungeon. I never get motion sickness, but for some reason the area on the first pull made me a little queasy. Just a warning for anyone with a sensitive stomach, since another goon mentioned one of the quests giving him problems, too.

I checked out the new housing area. It's really pretty, but I don't think it's necessarily better than the other ones. A lot of the houses are facing in weird directions (plots on the beach don't face the water, but the back of the house next to them, for example). It has a lot of fun details and a lovely atmosphere though.

Personally I'm going to stick with the Mist I think. Sorry Mara, if I change my mind you'll be the first to know so you can snag my old place.

Good luck to everyone on the walls. I played for a while, would stop for 30 mins to spam, then would play again. I eventually got through when I just sat my rear end down in front of Pippin for two hours while watching a movie. Don't spam if that's the only thing you're doing imo, it's going to drive you nuts that way.

That said, the amount of stuff that opens up after Pippin is pretty cool and it's a good "stopping point" as far as unlocking stuff now instead of waiting goes. I personally am going to stop here for a bit and do other things until the instance server is no longer getting hammered.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 17, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Reene posted:

Skip ARR, do Heavensward, IMO. You'll have a solid week of content do quest through and by the time you're caught up, Stormblood should hopefully be functional.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

a queue wouldn't really help the pipin/raubahn wall

you'd be number 1,603 in a queue. you'd leave for two hours, do some shopping, get home and be number 1,579 in a queue.

yes, there's literally only about 10 people an hour getting past the raubahn/pipin roadblocks.

that is, the number of people in post fringes content is anything to go by.

basically until they decide to do something drastic (disable the two quests, give everyone credit, post youtubes of the two quests on their website) or somehow fix their mangled mess of infrastructure to let more than 3 people at a time do the instance, it will literally take weeks to get better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Minrad posted:

you'd be number 1,603 in a queue. you'd leave for two hours, do some shopping, get home and be number 1,579 in a queue.

yes, there's literally only about 10 people an hour getting past the raubahn/pipin roadblocks.

basically until they decide to do something drastic (disable the two quests, give everyone credit, post youtubes of the two quests on their website) or somehow fix their mangled mess of infrastructure to let more than 3 people at a time do the instance, it will literally take weeks to get better.

If third party rumors are to be trusted, the instance servers blew the gently caress up when the patch first went live. To keep it from happening again, each data center is limited to 11 people in an instance at a time. The Raubahn one is around 7 minutes long.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the pipin one's even longer, and it doesn't account for people who die/get d/ced inside the instance. so, lol

At this point it's just an echo chamber of anger but this really is the worst MMO launch I've seen. Like yeah I appreciate RDM and SAM, reworked pvp, etc, but the fun part of MMO launches is seeing the storyline and running dungeons and chatting about new content. I've never seen an MMO get figuratively stonewalled and just be unplayable for an actual 99% of the playerbase for more than a few hours, let alone over a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid

Minrad posted:

Yeah but if there was a queue then they could increase the limit to exactly the number they know the server can handle, unless the instance server can only handle 10 people at a time then that's a whole another logistics issue and kinda disappointing on all accounts.