Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Pretty sure it's a law of some kind to have those thin mats at every register just because standing on hard floor for extending periods of time can gently caress up your back. Got some new work shoes recently though that were actually a big help in relieving the pain in my feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Working at CompUSA during its years of solvency in high school/college actually makes me appreciate teaching every time I reminisce about it. Having to push extended warranties was obnoxious as gently caress, both for me and for the customer, and I'd rather hit standardized test percentages than sales goals any day of the week. I'd at least rather sell worthwhile poo poo instead of telling someone why they needed to pay 5 bucks extra for that 30 dollar wireless mouse.

I do remember the time Dave Attell's brother came into the store. Looked just like him. I was like, "hey man, your brother's a pretty funny guy" and he responded with "I'm glad you think so" so that was the day I learned Dave Attell may not have the best relationship with his brother.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 16, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tbh at this point a Dave Attell reference is slightly more dated than a CompUSA reference

(up all night was a great show)

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Kelp Me! posted:

Tbh at this point a Dave Attell reference is slightly more dated than a CompUSA reference

(up all night was a great show)

You mean Insomniac?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

berth ell pup posted:

You mean Insomniac?

I do!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i worked at a gas station for about a year, and i'm one of those poor bastards who always has kind of a dry monotone even when i'm trying really hard to do that faux-happy professional voice that 40 year old mothers insist on every retail slave having for some reason. anyway, occasionally i'd get complaints for having an 'attitude' from random people but its whatever. everyone gets those.

this same lady would come in every single saturday and complain about how i always have an attitude with her, to my face, for like 3 months straight. eventually i was like 'lady i talk in the same tone of voice to everyone, every day. this is just how i talk. i don't know what you want me to do'. anyway long story short i got written up because this lady called the manager 3 times a day for two weeks because i gave her 'lip'

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

i worked at a gas station for about a year, and i'm one of those poor bastards who always has kind of a dry monotone even when i'm trying really hard to do that faux-happy professional voice that 40 year old mothers insist on every retail slave having for some reason. anyway, occasionally i'd get complaints for having an 'attitude' from random people but its whatever. everyone gets those.

this same lady would come in every single saturday and complain about how i always have an attitude with her, to my face, for like 3 months straight. eventually i was like 'lady i talk in the same tone of voice to everyone, every day. this is just how i talk. i don't know what you want me to do'. anyway long story short i got written up because this lady called the manager 3 times a day for two weeks because i gave her 'lip'
Lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ElectricSheep posted:

I do remember the time Dave Attell's brother came into the store. Looked just like him. I was like, "hey man, your brother's a pretty funny guy" and he responded with "I'm glad you think so" so that was the day I learned Dave Attell may not have the best relationship with his brother.

Alternative explanation: he was sick every bozo he came across in public talking about his famous brother.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Alternative explanation: he was sick every bozo he came across in public talking about his famous brother.

Goddamn that must really loving suck, now that I think about it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I just tell people I have a brain disorder that makes me talk like this

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I lost my voice for a few days on the job once, I had a note to show the customers that said "credit or debit?" and on the reverse side, "Bottom debit is the real debit." I rather enjoyed the experience other than people asking me why I wasn't speaking and not understanding when I pointed to my throat, "Can't you just TELL me why you're not speaking?" Eventually I got a handful of cough drops and would pull those out instead.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

spite house posted:

*checking big bill with counterfeit pen*
:haw: "I just printed that this morning!"

Uggghhh. Every time I hear this, I die a little more on the inside. :suicide:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Kelp Me! posted:

I dunno mang it seems pretty obvious they were looking for a powder you sprinkle on your carpet and that's basically the only option

unless they're doing cocaine on Nightmare difficulty

It's a deep allegory

The carpet sprinkle represents the Ottoman hordes and the floor represents Constantinople

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

When I worked retail pharmacy I got nearly spot on being able to tell if someone was going to be a pain in my rear end from 30 feet away. I was in the middle of helping somebody when I saw a dude, early twenties, undoubtedly going to be a huge jerk off beelining down an aisle, comes up to me and yells "I NEED TO USE THE BATHROOM" while I'm mid sentence with the other person. We had to have someone enter a code for people to use the bathrooms to prevent theft since the store was in a bad area.

Dude comes out of the bathroom and interrupts again saying he needs to buy syringes for his insulin. We only sold by boxes of 100 instead of 5 packs since again, we're in a bad area and used heroin needles used to litter the parking. When I told him we only do boxes he had an absolute melt down and started screaming "SO WHAT YOU WANT ME TO BREAK THE VIAL, USE THE BROKEN GLASS TO CUT MY WRIST OPEN AND POUR THE INSULIN IN THERE?! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!" in front of a ton of people

Yep, exactly what I just said to you homie. Have a great day. Absolute gold

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kazr posted:

When I worked retail pharmacy I got nearly spot on being able to tell if someone was going to be a pain in my rear end from 30 feet away. I was in the middle of helping somebody when I saw a dude, early twenties, undoubtedly going to be a huge jerk off beelining down an aisle, comes up to me and yells "I NEED TO USE THE BATHROOM" while I'm mid sentence with the other person. We had to have someone enter a code for people to use the bathrooms to prevent theft since the store was in a bad area.

Dude comes out of the bathroom and interrupts again saying he needs to buy syringes for his insulin. We only sold by boxes of 100 instead of 5 packs since again, we're in a bad area and used heroin needles used to litter the parking. When I told him we only do boxes he had an absolute melt down and started screaming "SO WHAT YOU WANT ME TO BREAK THE VIAL, USE THE BROKEN GLASS TO CUT MY WRIST OPEN AND POUR THE INSULIN IN THERE?! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!" in front of a ton of people

Yep, exactly what I just said to you homie. Have a great day. Absolute gold

thats what happens when you go into the restroom and realize you ran out of heroin needles

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Shockingly I'm pretty sure that dude was actually telling the truth and did legitimately need them for insulin.

Also got pretty good at spotting an addict from 30 feet away because addict and pain in my rear end go hand in hand

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Not retail, cars. Just had a lady come into our store swearing up and down that the redline painted on her tachometer wasn't there before and her brand new Mercedes is broken. It took every single one of us including the Gm and owner to tell her she's crazy before she left.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I used to work for an electric company in Texas who sold prepaid electricity.

gently caress you Texas. That poo poo should be illegal.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That's how a lot of apartments in China do it, and it's awesome. It requires smart meters, though.

How did they turn it into a scam? Because just being prepaid isn't actually bad.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
had one dude come in looking like dr robotnik. pants with suspenders and no shirt, thinning red afro hair. curled up in the fetal position next to the bibles. he was being way too weird so we called the cops, who dragged him out of the store after he refused to cooperate.

guy came up and shyly asked for books on the g-spot. I showed him where the sex books were and told he would have to poke around until he found what he was looking for.

i once told a man in a wheelchair that we rearranged the store just to keep him on his toes.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Standing in one place is worse on your body that any other job at the supermarket. You can stack drinks all day and you might get exauhsted but you dont get sore like you do on a checkout.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I went to a retail store one day and I was wearing a uniform that closely resembled the ones the employee wears. And I love it when people try to be rude to me even though I do not work there. :smug:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I worked in a big adult bookstore back during college, they had a pretty awesome "The customer is always wrong." policy. We were nice to everyone until you tried to steal or we caught you pissing in the theaters. There was one guy who would get blackout drunk in the theater and then piss in the ash can in there, I caught him one night and banned him from the store. A few months later I found him working a kroger pushing carts and I yelled Pisser! for a good twenty minutes at him. There was another dude that left the theater with cum on his beard, I promptly called the guy upstairs by the main exit to let him know so he could see it too. Cumbeard had a tanline where he took his wedding ring off before he came in, I like to imagine he went home to his wife and had to explain why he had cum in his beard. One time i made a tip cup and sat it by my register it basically said "Tip and I wont laugh about what you bought here to my friends later tonight.". I would usually get 10 to 15 bux a night, management gave no fucks either.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

DemonDarkhorse posted:

guy came up and shyly asked for books on the g-spot. I showed him where the sex books were and told he would have to poke around until he found what he was looking for.
:golfclap:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

I went to a retail store one day and I was wearing a uniform that closely resembled the ones the employee wears. And I love it when people try to be rude to me even though I do not work there. :smug:

You don't even have to have to be wearing anything close to the store uniform, just be dressed in business casual and look like you're in your twenties. Stopping anywhere on the way home from work sucks. I've had people not believe me when I tell them I don't work there and threaten to get my manager.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arven posted:

I've had people not believe me when I tell them I don't work there and threaten to get my manager.

i wish this would happen to me. it would be very cathartic to take out my years of retail frustration on an irate customer that has zero power over me

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Arven posted:

You don't even have to have to be wearing anything close to the store uniform, just be dressed in business casual and look like you're in your twenties. Stopping anywhere on the way home from work sucks. I've had people not believe me when I tell them I don't work there and threaten to get my manager.

I just ignore rudes when I'm off the clock. If someone gently says "excuse me" and just wants direction I usually give it to them unless I'm desperately trying to get out, but if someone just starts shouting "HELLO? HELLO?" trying to get help at an empty service desk and continuing to scream this at me as I'm already done and walking off thirty feet away... they're gonna be SOL.

If anything not even acknowledging a person's existence should give the hint that you don't even remotely have a reason to speak to them (stranger to stranger, that is, not stranger to actual retail worker)

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Starman Super DX posted:

I just ignore rudes when I'm off the clock. If someone gently says "excuse me" and just wants direction I usually give it to them unless I'm desperately trying to get out, but if someone just starts shouting "HELLO? HELLO?" trying to get help at an empty service desk and continuing to scream this at me as I'm already done and walking off thirty feet away... they're gonna be SOL.

If anything not even acknowledging a person's existence should give the hint that you don't even remotely have a reason to speak to them (stranger to stranger, that is, not stranger to actual retail worker)

Whats funny is I don't even work in retail. I'll be in black slacks and a sweater with a collared shirt underneath and I'll get the "HELLO!" guy running at me from across Walmart. I'm too nice to gently caress with anyone :downs:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Arven posted:

Whats funny is I don't even work in retail. I'll be in black slacks and a sweater with a collared shirt underneath and I'll get the "HELLO!" guy running at me from across Walmart. I'm too nice to gently caress with anyone :downs:

I wish I wasn't the jaded rear end in a top hat that retail turned me into :(

sometimes :twisted:

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I learned a lot of invaluable skills as a teenager working retail. How to deal with people, be professional, etc. Some days were hard but that's because I was 16.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

I learned a lot of invaluable skills as a teenager working retail. How to deal with people, be professional, etc. Some days were hard but that's because I was 16.

I agree with this. Again, it's not the absolute worst place to be in the world. I'm even looking at a TV right now- granted it's CNN but baggers can't be juicers. (Little retail humor for you there) :grin:

srsly tho, it's just that meeting these terrible people, if you have any sense of pride or dignity at all, is a soul sucking and youth destroying experience. Before working here, I had no idea that normal seeming people can turn into monsters for no reason at all other than that the bread was in the wrong place because someone left it in the wrong spot.

But I've only got a little bit more school left to go, and they pay me okay, so personally I'm just trying to stick it out a bit longer.

tl;dr nobody is here to dispute the validity or lack thereof in a low level retail job- that's not the point of this thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arven posted:

It's not just retail, I think it happens in all types of customer service. A friend of mine works in a library and he recently went interstate and visited another library and people started asking him reference questions.

A female friend of mine was walking home from the supermarket carrying several shopping bags and just happened to pass through a red light district and a curb crawler asked what her prices were. :v:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Just finished reading through the whole thread and by far the funniest part is the shithead that came in here and implied that retail people are poor by choice and that you could always hand write bibles for a living instead.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's not just retail, I think it happens in all types of customer service. A friend of mine works in a library and he recently went interstate and visited another library and people started asking him reference questions.

A female friend of mine was walking home from the supermarket carrying several shopping bags and just happened to pass through a red light district and a curb crawler asked what her prices were. :v:

Well, you know, sometimes your girlfriend won't give you a celery job.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

du -hast posted:

Just finished reading through the whole thread and by far the funniest part is the shithead that came in here and implied that retail people are poor by choice and that you could always hand write bibles for a living instead.

the Lord helps those who help themselves

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

TYPICAL CUSTOMER :jerkbag:

e: content edit. I forgot that I have a poop story of my own!

People are allowed to have up to two beers while in our department, part of the whole "tavern" license thing we're restricted to. In order for us to meet the seating requirement though people are allowed to sit outside. Every so often this can be a problem if I don't actually know that they're taking whatever they bought outside to drink it.

Anyway, this older lady has been kind of a problem with this before although this was the first time I ever had deal with her myself- she has some kind of problem with her, definitely some kind of issue controlling motor skills, probably something mental too but idrk.

Anyway, she buys a six of Mike's from me and goes outside. It's pouring, by the way.
An hour or so later I notice she's been sitting out there under an umbrella table, three mikes in the pack that have been emptied, and her on her fourth. Of course I panic for a few minutes worrying that it was my fault for not paying enough attention, but eventually I get two store managers that I liked, a younger guy and the lady who used to be my beer manager, in order to handle it since I had no clue what to do at this point.

Eventually they call the police after they figure out her mental faculties are clearly not in order. After the group effort of my managers and the cops attempting to get her into the car, the managers come back in. The guy is laughing, the woman looks pissed.
I ask in confusion what the hell happened, the young guy is laughing too hard to get it out, and the lady whispers to me through clenched teeth "she loving poo poo herself as soon as she got in the car"
Like this old woman pooped EVERYWHERE in the back of the cop car.

Say what you want about the police, but they've seen some poo poo :shrek:

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 17, 2017

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Nowadays I can clock people who have never worked in the service industry at a hundred paces and even though I'm not in the service industry anymore I still won't work with them if I have any choice about it at all. I just passed on putting someone in the way of a position he's otherwise perfect for, because he's incapable of dealing with people if the situation isn't completely to his liking and he thinks Customer Service Face is inauthentic and disingenuous. He had one retail job in his twenties, from which he got fired in under a month. His work is otherwise excellent, but sorry bruh, no cushy gig for you.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
That's because after enough time in (a) service industry, most specifically retail you just can't turn off that subtle vibe that says "I'm here to help you sir and/or ma'am in any way I can!"

Use this to your advantage to gently caress with random strangers.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

spite house posted:

Nowadays I can clock people who have never worked in the service industry at a hundred paces and even though I'm not in the service industry anymore I still won't work with them if I have any choice about it at all. I just passed on putting someone in the way of a position he's otherwise perfect for, because he's incapable of dealing with people if the situation isn't completely to his liking and he thinks Customer Service Face is inauthentic and disingenuous. He had one retail job in his twenties, from which he got fired in under a month. His work is otherwise excellent, but sorry bruh, no cushy gig for you.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and I'm not contesting whether or not the guy is a douche, but I think I can kind of see what he means about customer service. Again, it's that misstep between "polite conversation" and "life story". Management would prefer that everybody smiles literally all of the time (like there was literally a rule where you had to smile at a customer you became within ten feet of) and you MUST be engaging and nice to everyone you meet even if there isn't a reason why you should other than being in a service position, and I think that's where the whole "soul owning" thing comes into play. It sounds minor, but i don't think it's unreasonable to expect everyone, customers and employees, to just treat each other like human beings and not mindless happiness drones that are required to give you interaction when given input. Otherwise you get situations like the guy who threatened myself and others with getting us fired because we didn't want to indulge him (he even tried to reach out and grab my shoulder from behind when I went to go to lunch- that's a big no no in my book), or how it took months for them to finally throw out the guy who followed me home, or like darkedemonhorse mentioned OR like any of the other girls who have to let some old dude be creepy to them and all we're expected to do is respond to any of that with a smile.

I think that customer service would appear more genuine if managers actually fostered an environment of genuine human behavior. Nobody should be outright rude when they get pissed off, but we shouldn't be expected to just suck it up either.

I like my dep. manager because he wants me to help people, but won't take poo poo from the crazies or nasties, and that makes me feel less like I have to put up a "Hello, how are you today?" type of facade.

Fake edit: of course, I'm not saying thin-skins should be doing my job either. like the dude who, in his late thirties, walked out on the job TWICE (after begging for it back the first time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

du -hast posted:

your username, av, and text are amazing

edit: can you link to me said shithead? no way I'm reading this whole thread

• Locked thread