Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

KillHour posted:

I never thought I'd want to move to Delaware.

First state. First state of our hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

I've seen a lot of astoundingly stupid things from following this thread, but this is really worthy of note as possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read. This could win the Pulitzer of idiocy. A triumph.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Getting mad about an investigation being a "Witch Hunt" really loses its punch when the accused is hovering in the air on a broomstick, hurling balls of green flame, turning people into toads, then bragging loudly that they have the best hexes.

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice
Do these new Delaware laws affect any state incorporated there, or just to business that takes place in there? After all, a huge number of large US businesses are incorporated there. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_General_Corporation_Law

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Joe-Bob posted:

Do these new Delaware laws affect any state incorporated there, or just to business that takes place in there? After all, a huge number of large US businesses are incorporated there. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_General_Corporation_Law

Just business in the state.

States can't overrule labor laws in other jurisdictions.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

axeil posted:

So someone the other day recommended a documentary about the OKC Bombing/White Nationalism in the 80s/90s. It's insanely good and it's on Netflix. Definite pro-watch.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80169778?trackId=14170032&tctx=3%2C2%2C33cd317e-7c82-43c6-9b1e-98e1f0f07370-20842905

edit: Initially people wanted to point the finger at Islamic terrorism. Some things never change...

Initially? You sweet summer child.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090324214032/http://nefafoundation.org/miscellaneous/FeaturedDocs/OKC_ForeignConnection.pdf

Dana Rohrabacher in 2006, in congress posted:

There is serious, yet in some cases circumstantial, evidence that suggests a possible Middle Eastern connection to the Oklahoma City bombing (named “OKBOMB” by federal investigators)

[...]

According to Keating, President Clinton’s first comment to him after the bombing was “God, I hope there’s no Middle Eastern connection to this.” This mindset, described by Governor Keating, may or may not have influenced the original Oklahoma City bombing investigators

:argh: BILL! :argh:

And pages more.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah the US is fuckin' stupid. Almost no job postings come with salaries unless it's hourly. Then you have no way of knowing if they're lowballing you or if you're getting the standard company rate.

Some companies will ask to look at your tax returns when they verify your salary at your last job.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

juries being dumb is a confirmation bias thing because of course you don't hear about all the ones that do their job fine but man whoever hung that jury needs to be strung up.

the first time i remember thinking juries are dumb was when i was younger and they did an oj documentary and talked to some of the jurors. the ones that spoke seemed very dumb and even as a kid i realized how dumb they were to acquit even with the prosecution's gently caress ups (everyone gets hung up on the glove, but the blood evidence should've convicted him on its own).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 17, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

If we can't excise the cancer of the GOP from our body politic in a relatively short timeframe, I foresee a lot of these bundles of "gently caress the nazis" law packages happening in sane states that contain actual people instead of hate-poisoned bags of flesh.

Thread moves fast, but I love Jerry Brown's State of the State address where he says "California's not turning back. Not now. Not ever."

https://youtu.be/nIhfz9KzVFc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vedius Pollio posted:

I've seen a lot of astoundingly stupid things from following this thread, but this is really worthy of note as possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read. This could win the Pulitzer of idiocy. A triumph.

Can't spell triumph of stupidity without trump

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zwabu posted:

Will Trump get a primary challenge?

Trump somehow surviving until 2020 and then getting primaried by another Republican, who then lost to a Dem, would be the funniest thing ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

juries being dumb is a confirmation bias thing because of course you don't hear about all the ones that do their job fine but man whoever hung that jury needs to be strung up themselves.

the first time i remember thinking juries are dumb was when i was younger and they did an oj documentary and talked to some of the jurors. the ones that spoke seemed very dumb and even as a kid i realized how dumb they were to acquit even with the prosecution's gently caress ups (everyone gets hung up on the glove, but the blood evidence should've convicted him on its own).

Cases like these are part of the wage of white supremacy and not just dumb juries. There were plenty of people who believed Simpson was framed because the lead detective allowed himself to be recorded by a reporter saying that he hated black people and would love to frame a famous black person if he ever got the opportunity, and that tape was entered as evidence in the trial. The idea didn't just pop up out of nowhere. I've seen a similar phenomenon with Cosby, where people are willing to believe that there are white people out there willing to frame a famous black person simply because there are a huge amount of vicious white racists who clearly would. Don't blame the jurors in a vacuum. They are merely a very specific casualty of racism.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Trump somehow surviving until 2020 and then getting primaried by another Republican, who then lost to a Dem, would be the funniest thing ever.

On the other hand Trump would spend the rest of his life convinced he would have won the election and that he was betrayed by the party.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I looked into that case, and its got a lot of problems for the prosecutors. People can react to trauma in weird ways of course and we shouldn't condemn or exonerate someone just based on that, but the woman in this case called Cosby dozens of times after the incident, and had some long conversations running all the way up to 45 minutes. Older people on the jury are going to be like "if he raped you, why are you having long in-depth conversations with the man afterwards?"

There's a reason why the prosecutors declined prosecution initially years ago, and its not just because Cosby is famous.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 17, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

business hammocks posted:

Cases like these are part of the wage of white supremacy and not just dumb juries. There were plenty of people who believed Simpson was framed because the lead detective allowed himself to be recorded by a reporter saying that he hated black people and would love to frame a famous black person if he ever got the opportunity, and that tape was entered as evidence in the trial. The idea didn't just pop up out of nowhere. I've seen a similar phenomenon with Cosby, where people are willing to believe that there are white people out there willing to frame a famous black person simply because there are a huge amount of vicious white racists who clearly would. Don't blame the jurors in a vacuum. They are merely a very specific casualty of racism.

I've got a friend, who's Temple alum and has met Cosby. He thinks he's guilty as hell. He also thinks his net worth is even higher at $400 million.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Senor Tron posted:

On the other hand Trump would spend the rest of his life convinced he would have won the election and that he was betrayed by the party.

exactly

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lote posted:

I've got a friend, who's Temple alum and has met Cosby. He thinks he's guilty as hell. He also thinks his net worth is even higher at $400 million.

Well of course he's guilty. I'm saying that there are deep cultural reasons why jurors might be predisposed to ignoring his guilt.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah the US is fuckin' stupid. Almost no job postings come with salaries unless it's hourly. Then you have no way of knowing if they're lowballing you or if you're getting the standard company rate.

Some companies will ask to look at your tax returns when they verify your salary at your last job.

interviews for salaried positions often take that further by also asking you what salary you are expecting to make at the position so they can go "oh, gee well we're only able to offer (your answer -$5k)" even if they were planning on paying much more than what you stated.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Imagine how much better it would be to see him on election night if he loses re-election horribly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

What the fuuuuuuck.

The bomber ( I won't use his name as that brings remembrance to a disgusting traitor and mass murderer) all but confessed. He was proud of it, he bragged about it.

This country is so hosed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

The rest of his life will be like 5-10 years after this post, tops. Our country can withstand that particular blow. He'll probably fade slowly and be incapacitated for a while first, even. It's all the other hits we've taken as a result of his campaign and presidency that might do us in.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

axeil posted:

What the fuuuuuuck.

The bomber ( I won't use his name as that brings glory and remembrance to him) all but confessed. He was proud of it, he bragged about it.

This country is so hosed.

You can say Timothy McVeigh. The name brings about as much glory and positive remembrance as Adolf Hitler.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tim mcveigh confessed. he also said "168-1" in regards to his death sentence.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

juries being dumb is a confirmation bias thing because of course you don't hear about all the ones that do their job fine but man whoever hung that jury needs to be strung up.

Yeah this is why I'm pretty skeptical of jury trials. It's not a trial of your peers, it'd a trial of the stupid. If your called for jury duty it should basically be impossible to get out of it, as the system we have now ensures only the least qualified actually sit on a jury.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

business hammocks posted:

that's not really the jury it's the public reaction - i bet most black people celebrating oj's acquittal knew he was guilty as sin they just wanted to see the system get hosed for once.

cosby's mistrial likely has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with misogyny and he said-she said garbage.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Helen Highwater posted:

Reminder that Ted Nugent is such a loving personal coward that he deliberately poo poo himself for weeks himself to avoid the possibility of being drafted.

I don't know about you but if a draft were to be declared tomorrow and I knew that I could get out of it by making GBS threads my pants then I would poo poo my pants without even having to think about it. gently caress you if you think I'm a coward because I literally don't wanna be sent off to my death.

Doesn't matter which side owns the presidency either. I'm going to do everything I can short of self mutilation to get out of any draft, no matter the cause.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know about you but if a draft were to be declared tomorrow and I knew that I could get out of it by making GBS threads my pants then I would poo poo my pants without even having to think about it. gently caress you if you think I'm a coward because I literally don't wanna be sent off to my death.

Doesn't matter which side owns the presidency either. I'm going to do everything I can short of self mutilation to get out of any draft, no matter the cause.

Yeah, there's no moral shame in dodging a draft (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM )

But there is shame in dodging a draft and then calling for war afterwards.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

uhhh he's a coward because he's a gun nut who's all about violence and killing terrorists and supports the people that also want to bomb countries constantly and when he could've put his money where his mouth is he wussed out.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Lots of talk about the potential for Mueller to recommend some action for Congress that they might decide to ignore. What happens after Trump's term(s) ends? He is then a guy that was investigated by the FBI and if they found something worth pursuing, what stops them from moving forward? Same question to the rumored NY State investigation.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Lots of talk about the potential for Mueller to recommend some action for Congress that they might decide to ignore. What happens after Trump's term(s) ends? He is then a guy that was investigated by the FBI and if they found something worth pursuing, what stops them from moving forward? Same question to the rumored NY State investigation.

Historically speaking, the next president pardons him to avoid this happening.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

As others have noted, it's not the fact that he's a coward for dodging the draft. He's a coward that espouses that we should be killing people with military force but he doesn't want to get his own hands dirty because he was a MOTHERFUCKING BADASS ROCK GOD or some dumb poo poo at the time. gently caress him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhhh he's a coward because he's a gun nut who's all about violence and killing terrorists and supports the people that also want to bomb countries constantly and when he could've put his money where his mouth is he wussed out.

Isn't this always the thing, at least in America? All the right-wingers are crowing about Islamic terrorism and taking the fight to ISIS, but, given how ISIS got formed and expanded via foreign fighters and support, have any of them picked up a gun, a plate carrier, and ammunition and taken off to Syria? No. They'd rather have the U.S. military get involved.

Meanwhile, anarchists in the West have been flocking to Kurdistan to support Rojava like it was the Spanish Civil War.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ekeog posted:

Historically speaking, the next president pardons him to avoid this happening.

I have a distinct feeling that Trump will not accept the pardon, because accepting a pardon is an explicit statement of guilt. I very much doubt he will be willing to admit this, even with his own skin on the line.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I came across an interesting article that is a fascinating example of someone who is a mid-compaction (neither particularly high but certainly not really low) Narrativist trying to process all the Narrative dysphoria they are experiencing as a result of Donald Trump/Republicans slowly outing themselves as hollow conmen. The GOP Congress Better Get It's Act Together, Or It's Sunk. The entire article is for the most part a badly formatted polemic blaming the Republican Party for the Narrative dysphoria the author is experiencing, and further threatening a massive retaliatory compaction cycle. I decided to examine some portions of this article in depth with an eye towards both illustrating Narrative dysphoria as well as the authors unusually frank admittance of a concept I call "Victory by Destruction of the Enemy" when he flatly declares that his expectation is for the GOP to do only things that hurt Democrats because hurting Democrats is both what they were elected to do as well as the key to success.

First off let us start out with the opening paragraphs of this article because even as badly written as this article is the opening at least does a good job of setting the tone.

A Delicate Snowflake posted:

“Everything’s fine,” smiled Captain Paul Ryan smarmily as he steered the Titanic into an iceberg. “Now, let me get back to shafting our own voting base via my incomprehensible determination to cancel the tax deductions that Republicans use instead of cutting handouts to Democrat-voting freeloaders!”

We are sailing toward disaster in 2018 and no one seems to want to acknowledge it. Let’s look at the facts and evidence.

Data Point One: We scraped by in a couple of House special elections so far, including Punchy McSlugahack’s in Montana, but that Daily Kos reader-funded-12-year old non-resident Democrat dork is going to beat the charisma-free Republican in the Georgia 6 race next week. Our enemy is motivated and smells blood.

Data Point Two: Because she is a droning non-performer, Theresa May took a 24 point advantage and turned it into a loss in Britain.

Data Point Three: Our GOP Republican legislators are droning non-performers who have a 10 point disadvantage going into 2018.

The theme underlying these opening paragraphs is that the author is experiencing quite a bit of Narrative dysphoria because of the contradictions between what her Inner narrative is telling her should be happening now that Trump is in power and the reality of what is happening now that Trump is in power. In fact in just 8 sentences this author references seven separate sources of Narrative dysphoria that are obviously causing her stress. (In point of fact the opening of this article is barely more than a list of sources of Narrative dysphoria with barely any attempt to relate them to each other.) Let us take a moment to briefly examine each of these sources.

• “Now, let me get back to shafting our own voting base via my incomprehensible determination to cancel the tax deductions that Republicans use instead of cutting handouts to Democrat-voting freeloaders!”: Paul Ryan's actions will hurt Republicans and Democrats and that puzzles this Narrativist. Narrativists can only conceptualize improving society by harming their Enemy (a theme this author shall return to later in this article) so the fact that Ryan's actions will harm both Democrats and Republicans disagrees with the expectations generated by the Inner narrative, thus Narrative dysphoria is experienced.
  • ["i]We scraped by in a couple of House special elections so far[/i]": Now that the country has risen up and elected the champion of the people the GOP should be crushing every single election.
  • " including Punchy McSlugahack’s in Montana": Behaving like a brazen thug and being rewarded for it is something that this Narrativist is certain only the Enemy would do. Seeing it come from his own side (which is supposed to be made up only of pure-hearted "good guys") is clearly disconcerting.
  • "but that Daily Kos reader-funded-12-year old non-resident Democrat dork is going to beat the charisma-free Republican in the Georgia 6 race next week.": Weak intellectuals are not supposed to defeat manly/heroic good guys, even if they are "charisma free".
  • " Because she is a droning non-performer, Theresa May took a 24 point advantage and turned it into a loss in Britain.": Narrativists will almost instinctively flock to and support Narrativist leaders no matter where in the world those leaders are or what group they represent- see for example the rights strange love affair with Vladimir Putin. (Putin knows how to appeal to Narrativists) Seeing even a foreign leader who is associated with Narrativism take such an unexpected defeat is a source of Narrative dysphoria in this case.
  • "Our GOP Republican legislators are droning non-performers who have a 10 point disadvantage going into 2018.": Now that Trump has won and the GOP controls all three branches we should be being ushered into a glowing Conservative utopia. (As seen on the documentary Leave it to Beaver.) Instead deadlock has continued and little has changed despite all the power in the hands of the Republican party at the oment.

From here on out the article is more or less just pure lashing out at Narrative dysphoria. None of these bits are particularly worth diving deeply into (although you can see other portions of the Narrativist Framework at play here there are better examples to use to illustrate them) so I will simply quote a couple examples.

[Bracketed comments are mine.]

A Delicate Snowflake posted:

“But stuff is getting done!” the GOP leadership insists, which might be true but is definitely irrelevant. It doesn’t matter if “stuff is getting done” if your voters don’t know it and support you. Now, when Paul Ryan talks directly to us on Hugh Hewitt's show or elsewhere, he actually makes sense. He explains his strategy, so we can sigh “Oh, there’s a reason for all this and a coherent plan. Phew.” But then Ryan says something unbelievably stupid along the lines of, “As Speaker, my job is to pass legislation, not to go out and sell our agenda to voters.” No, that’s a steaming pile of Harry Reid.

Stop failing. Start doing what we sent you to do and letting us in on the plan. Let us see you are intent on winning and you’ll start to rebuild the confidence your incompetence has shattered.

You must get the President’s agenda passed, but, at the same time, you must keep us in the loop. See, we don’t trust you. You haven’t earned our trust. We know you hate the idea that we are going to hold you accountable for what you do and fail to do and you don’t like it. Too bad. Because now we’re watching, so you better communicate with us to explain what we see and why it’s not surrender or failure. As the hep kidz say, we’re woke. [Note the threatened compaction cycle here.]

So stop wasting time and effort cavorting with the Democrats about their fake Trump/Russia obsession. Those crusty senators with their “We must uncover the truth about these questions” nonsense need to stop. We all know the truth. It’s all a liberal lie.

Cut our taxes, like the GOP promised.

Rebuild our military, like the GOP promised.

Fix infrastructure (wisely), like the GOP promised.

Build a wall, like the GOP promised. [The wall with Mexico is a physical manifestation of the Bypass of Perfect Safety which is why Narrativists cling to it so much.]

Kill Obamacare, like the GOP promised.

The Democrats are out there recruiting military vets – there’s one jerky liberal everyone finds annoying in every big unit, and that’s who they pick. They’ll preen and pose and get elected and then salute General Pelosi and vote as ordered on every item of Democrat soldier-shafting liberal hackery. That’s the threat – are you ready for it? You need to spend some time and effort on candidate selection and grooming; you need to make sure that in every district our money is on a winner. Are you doing that? Who is doing that? Why do none of us know about how you are doing that?

Finally we come to probably the best demonstration of the Narrativism benchmark of "Victory by Destruction of the Enemy" that I have yet found. I will first quote the relevant portion of the Narrativist Framework and then quote the article's much more succinct summation of my ideas.

Narrativist Framework posted:

Victory by Destruction of the Enemy: All Narrativist models for changing society involve destruction of an identified "other", and nothing else. "If we just got rid of X, everything would be fine." When I was a conspiracy theorist, I believed that simply eliminating the globalists and getting out of humanity's way would basically fix everything. When I was a David Icke-loving UFO nut, merely destroying the Reptilians and their agents would have resulted in humanity raising its vibration to a heavenly level and fix everything. When I was a fundamentalist, I believed that converting (or destroying) all the unbelievers would fix every problem on Earth. Objectivists believe that getting rid of all regulations would result in the emergence of a new golden age of prosperity for all. For racists, crime and social ills would disappear if we just stopped coddling blacks or illegal immigrants (or killed them all).

No thought is given to actual policy or the reality of a given situation. Much like all Narrativist battle plans boil down to "fight big, fight hard", all Narrativist strategies for fixing society's ills boil down to "destroy the other". Nothing is planned beyond that. There is no "what do we do when we win?" because that question is pointless. If they win, they have already won, you see? They believe that the simple non-existence of whoever or whatever they chose as their enemy would result in a natural order emerging or reasserting itself and harmony would ensue.

In short, the one weird trick that will give them everything they want is always "destroy the enemy". And the way to destroy the enemy is always in a big battle.

(Italics in original)

A special Snowflake posted:

And we need to stop jamming our own voters in the name of some arbitrary, D.C. think tank g-generated conception of good policy. Good policy is what wins. How about not imposing anything upon us that hurts the GOP base? You see, you're there to represent Republicans. Some goofs and wusscons have the idea that you're there to represent all voters, but that's nonsense.

You are there to represent the people who voted for you, not the liberal whiners and welfare cheats who didn't and who hate you and us. So we're not going to close off deductions that help Republicans and we're not going to increase taxes on Republicans and we're not gonna do other things that hurt Republicans. We're going to hurt Democrats.

That's called politics. Try it. It’s amazingly effective.

If you do, we win. If the economy is cranking in November 2018 and health insurance premiums are under control – and they will be if you keep your promises – then you’re fine. Otherwise, you’re gone.

As demonstrated above this Narrativist can only conceive of advancing his agenda by harming those he deems to have lost a struggle against his side. There is no "Do good things for Republicans" step in the above, rather the above author is operating from the logic of "If the Democrats are harmed then Republicans are helped by default and if we harm the Democrats enough then the economy will boom. There isn't any thought given to how harming Democrats will help Republicans, it is simply accepted as a patently obvious truth that Republicans/society benefits when Democrats are harmed. Note how there isn't any thought given to how to harm Democrats, it is simply accepted that if they are harmed then it is good for Republicans.

Or to put it another way the above quotation is just a really angry way of saying "Lottery in June, Corn be heavy soon." (Assuming of course that only a particular group of people were drawing folded pieces of paper out of hat.)

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

Isn't this always the thing, at least in America? All the right-wingers are crowing about Islamic terrorism and taking the fight to ISIS, but, given how ISIS got formed and expanded via foreign fighters and support, have any of them picked up a gun, a plate carrier, and ammunition and taken off to Syria? No. They'd rather have the U.S. military get involved.

Meanwhile, anarchists in the West have been flocking to Kurdistan to support Rojava like it was the Spanish Civil War.

It's also an underlying thought process of American military strategy for some US politicians. None of them will openly admit it because sending our troops to their death for some political cause doesn't play well on TV. But who the hell cares if they die on the battlefield because they volunteered for military service? They might have signed up for technical training in the hope that it leads to better career potential after their enlistment ends but we've told them repeatedly that they could be killed in the line of service so gently caress em!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Grapplejack posted:

I have a distinct feeling that Trump will not accept the pardon, because accepting a pardon is an explicit statement of guilt. I very much doubt he will be willing to admit this, even with his own skin on the line.

He will accept the pardon because he is terrifying of losing his wealth and going to jail, and then he will lie about the pardon. "You see, the lawyers said I had to do it -- and they're great lawyers, these guys, they're the best -- because otherwise it's all this money going into this witch hunt and wasting everybody's time -- and that's all this is, a big waste of time. And meanwhile Crooked Hillary is out there making millions from Wall Street, and immigrants are blowing everything up, and the Democrats kept us from fixing it up. Pathetic, I tell you. Sad."

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He will accept the pardon because he is terrifying of losing his wealth and going to jail, and then he will lie about the pardon. "You see, the lawyers said I had to do it -- and they're great lawyers, these guys, they're the best -- because otherwise it's all this money going into this witch hunt and wasting everybody's time -- and that's all this is, a big waste of time. And meanwhile Crooked Hillary is out there making millions from Wall Street, and immigrants are blowing everything up, and the Democrats kept us from fixing it up. Pathetic, I tell you. Sad."

Then he'd be commiting perjury as a private citizen. They can also hold him in contempt if he outright refuses. Can't plead the Fifth if you have immunity.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Trump won't be pardoned or stand trial.

He might be impeached but his mental and physical deterioration is progressing (he managed to forget what day it was in a speech this week and think it was his birthday when it wasn't) and by the time this all gets to a courtroom, if it does, he will have either died from the stress or become sufficiently incompetent that his lawyers will manage to get him ruled incapable of standing trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

A bit late but

quote:

- Bans all employers from asking applicants about their criminal history

How is that something you'd want as a person? If you committed fraud previously, would you really want somebody like that working your books?

• Locked thread