Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

asur posted:

Unless you're planning on buying a house or a car it won't matter. I would apply for the card first because the rental company is unlikely to care about a small drop in your score.

Thanks! They (the landlord) haven't gotten around to sending me their form so that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does anyone know if online purchases from Sam's Club or Lowe's trigger the "Wholesale / Home Improvement" category bonus spend for Discover IT?

I have about 1k of bonus spend left for this quarter and I am not going to do it naturally. I'm thinking about getting a Mastercard Gift Card from Sam's website and then getting a money order to liquidate it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

2k more spend on my CIP and I'm getting my wife both Chase Southwest Cards so we can be companions.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Citi double cash card, and I recently joined Costco and got the Costco card. Does anyone know if I will be able to use the same Citi login as the double cash?

When i opened a second barclays card it popped up immediately. So far the Costco hasn't shown up in my Citi account.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a Citi double cash card, and I recently joined Costco and got the Costco card. Does anyone know if I will be able to use the same Citi login as the double cash?

When i opened a second barclays card it popped up immediately. So far the Costco hasn't shown up in my Citi account.

The "portal" for the Costco Citi is just the regular old Citi portal, but my card took a while to show up as activated and everything on my Citi account. It shouldn't be a problem. I do love that card though.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You have to do the costco setup once you get the card in hand to get it to show up in your portal.

It's the same for all their cards. When I got the Citi AA I had to set it up as well.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Great, thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Not really a credit card, but my wife and I want to open a checking account together. Should I convert one our our existing checking accounts into a joint account. Or should I open a new joint account? If I do open a new one, where can I see some good signing bonuses?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Open a new one.

BMO Harris had some good deals recently. I think Chase may still if there's a branch near you.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Open a new one.

BMO Harris had some good deals recently. I think Chase may still if there's a branch near you.

Yeah, chase is the easiest/fastest option, and you can churn them once a year.

Check doctorofcredit.com

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

Open a new one.

I did this with BMO Harris. No problem getting the bonus, but though the signup bonus is better, their offerings are worse than Chase's for the long haul.

This year so far, got 100k Chase Marriott points + 7500 for authorized user + silver status, 100k Hilton points + gold status (didn't get the free night offer), 40k Hyatt points plus 2 free nights, $250 BCP signup bonus, Amex Green $250 signup bonus. Planning a vacation in the fall where I should be getting 10 "free" hotel nights in the EU (actually cost around $250 for fees).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Hi there. I posted a couple months ago about issues I were having with stuff on my credit report, etc.

I just want to say I cleared everything off, even my student loans. I just have one outstanding medical bill I'm going to take care of when my next check comes in and that should be it for things in my history / debt owed.

I had an alert from Credit Karma that I could qualify for that Secured Capitol One card and applied and got an automatic denial, so I'm still having the same issue :

Credit score is like 540ish, I have no credit history because I've never had a card before, and I have no idea how to go about building this or what would be the best card that won't gently caress me that I can build on. I have no problem with a card I have to make a deposit on as a friend has extremely generously gifted me some money to get on my feet with in regards to credit.

So, what do, goons? Explain to me as you would a child because they never taught us about this in school.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Skoll posted:

Hi there. I posted a couple months ago about issues I were having with stuff on my credit report, etc.

I just want to say I cleared everything off, even my student loans. I just have one outstanding medical bill I'm going to take care of when my next check comes in and that should be it for things in my history / debt owed.

I had an alert from Credit Karma that I could qualify for that Secured Capitol One card and applied and got an automatic denial, so I'm still having the same issue :

Credit score is like 540ish, I have no credit history because I've never had a card before, and I have no idea how to go about building this or what would be the best card that won't gently caress me that I can build on. I have no problem with a card I have to make a deposit on as a friend has extremely generously gifted me some money to get on my feet with in regards to credit.

So, what do, goons? Explain to me as you would a child because they never taught us about this in school.

Congrats on getting out of debt.

If I were you I'd apply for a secured card like the capital one secured mastercard. https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/secured-mastercard/

Then whenever you can get an actual credit score/report (credit karma is better for monitoring your score trend than estimating your actual score) and when your score is high enough, get a discover it or a Chase slate, or some other low-requirements card that doesn't totally suck.

I haven't been following this thread for very long, so I don't know your story. I assume you had late or missed payments. Those stay on your report and keep your score down for a few years. An account or two in good standing should drag your score up in the meantime.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

theres a will theres moe posted:

Congrats on getting out of debt.

If I were you I'd apply for a secured card like the capital one secured mastercard. https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/secured-mastercard/

Then whenever you can get an actual credit score/report (credit karma is better for monitoring your score trend than estimating your actual score) and when your score is high enough, get a discover it or a Chase slate, or some other low-requirements card that doesn't totally suck.

I haven't been following this thread for very long, so I don't know your story. I assume you had late or missed payments. Those stay on your report and keep your score down for a few years. An account or two in good standing should drag your score up in the meantime.

That's the card I applied for that auto denied me, actually.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Skoll posted:

Discover is usually the easiest secured card to get.

You can call the recon line at Capital One and they will likely give you a second shot. They probably auto-denied you on a web application based on your score.

If you call the recon line and talk to them, there is a good chance they will give you a secured card with a very small limit.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Skoll posted:

Please pardon my bad reading comprehension skills

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can call the recon line at Capital One and they will likely give you a second shot. They probably auto-denied you on a web application based on your score.

If you call the recon line and talk to them, there is a good chance they will give you a secured card with a very small limit.

If that doesn't work you should see if your bank offers a secured card.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Echoing these steps. That secured card will help you over the next two years, and you may find the ability to have some additional lines of credit a year or two in.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks, I am going to do this when I have time.

theres a will theres moe posted:

Please pardon my bad reading comprehension skills

Hey, no problem. You were just being helpful and I appreciate it!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Chase told me to get hosed when I went there asking about a card.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I've seen a good amount of anecdotal reports of people with bad credit being denied for the discover secured credit card, I think they might be trying to aim it towards people with no credit rather than bad credit. However I think their secured card is the best one available so it's still probably worth applying for and calling reconsideration if you're denied.

As others have said calling capital ones reconsideration line is a good option too.

If you can't get either of those cards though you're not completely out of luck. Nerdwallet has a page on recommended secured cards and one of the options is the OpenSky Secured Visa which doesn't run a credit check for applications but does report to all three credit bureaus. It had a $35 annual fee which isn't ideal but not too bad.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Form a relationship with a local credit union if possible. They can be more flexible when it comes to these things.

A great way to get 2 positive trade lines on your report using a credit union

1- deposit money into your savings account, for example 500 dollars

2 - take out a secured loan for 500 dollars, using your 500 dollars to secure it (positive installment loan tradeline)

3- deposit borrowed 500 dollars into savings account

4- use borrowed 500 dollars to open 500 dollar secured credit card (positive revolving credit tradeline)

Watch credit score increase. Yeah you pay a little interest on the 500 dollar loan, and you pay it off over the course of a year (small hit to monthly cashflow), but it helps get your credit back on track.

I did something similar to this years and years ago, after 18 months they changed my secured card to an unsecured card and bumped the limit up to 8K. That was a turning point on getting to where I'm at today.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So I've got a credit card that I've only ever used on amazon for the amazon % and just got a fraud alert on it, someone made off with $4K in hardware in New Jersey. Do CC scammers just guess card numbers randomly until one works now, or is amazon about to announce the biggest hack ever? The physical card has never been used, and I just went through every online transaction and they were all amazon since getting this account #.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 17, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

So I've got a credit card that I've only ever used on amazon for the amazon % and just got a fraud alert on it, someone made off with $4K in hardware in New Jersey. Do CC scammers just guess card numbers randomly until one works now, or is amazon about to announce the biggest hack ever? The physical card has never been used, and I just went through every online transaction and they were all amazon since getting this account #.

There are so many ways to get card info these days it's impossible to keep track of them all. I've had two replaced in the last year alone.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The annual fee for my CSP is coming up and I haven't used the card in months between my CSR, freedom, and double cash.

Should I look to cancel or downgrade to either a freedom unlimited or no fee sapphire? My first thought was freedom unlimited but then I wouldn't be able to churn that card in the future for the bonus right

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Virtue posted:

The annual fee for my CSP is coming up and I haven't used the card in months between my CSR, freedom, and double cash.

Should I look to cancel or downgrade to either a freedom unlimited or no fee sapphire? My first thought was freedom unlimited but then I wouldn't be able to churn that card in the future for the bonus right

What are you planning to do with your CSR when that annual fee hits? You need to have either a CSP or a CSR in order to be able to transfer your URs to travel partners.

Downgrading to either a Freedom or a Freedom Unlimited shouldn't impact your ability to get a bonus because Chase awards those on the basis of your last receipt of a bonus for that product. Citi is the one that ties the bonus to how recently you've opened or closed the product, and Amex ties the bonus to whether or not you've ever had the product.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

What are you planning to do with your CSR when that annual fee hits? You need to have either a CSP or a CSR in order to be able to transfer your URs to travel partners.

Downgrading to either a Freedom or a Freedom Unlimited shouldn't impact your ability to get a bonus because Chase awards those on the basis of your last receipt of a bonus for that product. Citi is the one that ties the bonus to how recently you've opened or closed the product, and Amex ties the bonus to whether or not you've ever had the product.

I'm keeping the CSR for the long haul (unless something better pops up). Plan to continue churning Chase UR points

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

skipdogg posted:

Form a relationship with a local credit union if possible. They can be more flexible when it comes to these things.

A great way to get 2 positive trade lines on your report using a credit union

1- deposit money into your savings account, for example 500 dollars

2 - take out a secured loan for 500 dollars, using your 500 dollars to secure it (positive installment loan tradeline)

3- deposit borrowed 500 dollars into savings account

4- use borrowed 500 dollars to open 500 dollar secured credit card (positive revolving credit tradeline)

Watch credit score increase. Yeah you pay a little interest on the 500 dollar loan, and you pay it off over the course of a year (small hit to monthly cashflow), but it helps get your credit back on track.

I did something similar to this years and years ago, after 18 months they changed my secured card to an unsecured card and bumped the limit up to 8K. That was a turning point on getting to where I'm at today.

Interesting, are you claiming that in some cases of particularly bad credit, intentionally paying interest on loans (and for no other purpose) is beneficial enough to your credit score to recommend? A good credit score enables more access to credit in general and lets you get past credit checks for apartments and jobs. It also also provides access to negative-cost credit lines like rewards cards with signup bonuses. That's all super valuable, so I have no problem believing a rapid credit score increase is desirable, but do these actions really provide that?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

baquerd posted:

Interesting, are you claiming that in some cases of particularly bad credit, intentionally paying interest on loans (and for no other purpose) is beneficial enough to your credit score to recommend? A good credit score enables more access to credit in general and lets you get past credit checks for apartments and jobs. It also also provides access to negative-cost credit lines like rewards cards with signup bonuses. That's all super valuable, so I have no problem believing a rapid credit score increase is desirable, but do these actions really provide that?

I don't think you need anything besides consistent on time credit card payments in order to establish excellent credit, but if someone wants to do this here's how. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/strengthen-credit-installment-loan-using-secured-loan-technique/
Important things to note: Credit mix makes up only 10% of your FICO credit score, so don't expect this to have a dramatic effect and it won't do anything for anyone who already has a mortgage, car loan, or other installment loan.

edit: It also helps with another credit factor called Amounts Owed which I didn't know about. If anyone wants to read more there's a very thorough post here. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Und...ht/true#M106741

THF13 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 18, 2017

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
On the free FICO scores I get with my credit cards the only negative thing I get shown is a lack of installment loans, so I think it definitely helps.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What will happen to my credit if I get a card with a 0% intro APR and only pay the minimum payment for a few months? Overall utilization will still be pretty low. Last I checked my score was in the high 700s.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Splinter posted:

What will happen to my credit if I get a card with a 0% intro APR and only pay the minimum payment for a few months? Overall utilization will still be pretty low. Last I checked my score was in the high 700s.

Not much.

Utilization is not a huge part of your score and it can be changed instantly.

As long as you aren't trying to buy a house or get a large car loan during the 0% APR period it will have no impact on your life and your long-term score.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Splinter posted:

Depends what it does to your income/debt balance ratio. Probably not much. What is the card limit? Also are you completely clear on how the 0% intro APR works? More often than not those are traps for the unwary.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discover IT has a 5% cashback bonus for Wholesale Clubs this quarter and there is a Discover Deals for an additional 5% back on Sam's Club's website.

The deal terms say that certain products are excluded, like pharmaceuticals and gift cards, but is there a way for Discover to verify that your purchase contained gift cards?

If you order several things and some Sam's Club gift cards in one purchase through the deal portal, then would Discover be able to automatically tell? I doubt they have 3rd level merchant ID info for online sales, but I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Does CC autopay in full do the last statement balance or the total balance as of the payment date? Like if I made a purchase that cleared January 2nd, would it be included in the autopay on January 3rd?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Virtue posted:

Does CC autopay in full do the last statement balance or the total balance as of the payment date? Like if I made a purchase that cleared January 2nd, would it be included in the autopay on January 3rd?

Depends which card/issuer.

Most of them have separate options for pay in full and pay full statement.

Usually, it will specify the payment terms when you set up autopay.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ixian posted:

Also are you completely clear on how the 0% intro APR works? More often than not those are traps for the unwary.
I assume there's no interest on any balance carried during the promotional period, but once the promotional period ends any remaining balance is subject to the real APR. Is that not how it works?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Splinter posted:

I assume there's no interest on any balance carried during the promotional period, but once the promotional period ends any remaining balance is subject to the real APR. Is that not how it works?

Often - maybe not in every case, but it is common - if you don't pay the entire thing off interest is applied to the entire balance retroactively.

I.e., if you get the card, put 5k on it, and over the 90 day (or whatever) 0 interest period pay 3k of it, at the end of the period you aren't charged the going APR for the remaining 2k (said APR is likely to be high, check) - you are charged it on the full 5k.

I don't know that every card works like this but it is certainly not rare when it comes to "intro" 0% APR so check.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Splinter posted:

Also for a lot of 0% balance transfer cards, you lose the grace period on any new purchases as you're technically carrying a balance between statement periods, which means you'll be charged interest on any new purchases.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Alright, I'll definitely read the fine print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Splinter posted:

Alright, I'll definitely read the fine print.

What card is it?