Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Meanwhile, in BWM news...

Article on underwater car loans:

https://jalopnik.com/a-record-32-percent-of-car-buyers-are-underwater-on-the-1789425396

Edmunds did a study where they found almost 1/3 of all vehicles offered for trade in 2016 were underwater. The average amount underwater was over 5k.

I knew it was bad, and we've seen plenty of anecdotal stories here, but I didn't realize how incredibly hosed it was. A third?! That many people are churning cars and piling on debt? It's an easy math problem to show why it's bad, so I can only imagine that greed/keeping up with the Jones's mentality is driving this. Or just plain vanilla stupid. Seems like a staggering house of cards being built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ixian posted:

https://jalopnik.com/a-record-32-percent-of-car-buyers-are-underwater-on-the-1789425396

Edmunds did a study where they found almost 1/3 of all vehicles offered for trade in 2016 were underwater. The average amount underwater was over 5k.

I knew it was bad, and we've seen plenty of anecdotal stories here, but I didn't realize how incredibly hosed it was. A third?! That many people are churning cars and piling on debt? It's an easy math problem to show why it's bad, so I can only imagine that greed/keeping up with the Jones's mentality is driving this. Or just plain vanilla stupid. Seems like a staggering house of cards being built.

I'm surprised it's only a (nearly) third. Welp, all we can do is sit by and await financial armageddon (again). :shrug:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ixian posted:

I don't see how it's so surprising. Underwater cars are cool, so it makes sense that there's so many loans for them.

e. Fixed hotlink

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 17, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Actuarial Fables posted:

I don't see how it's so surprising. Underwater cars are cool, so it makes sense that there's so many loans for them.

Submersibles, the new Horse in BWM.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ixian posted:

Submersibles, the new Horse in BWM.

The joys of owning a car and a boat, all in one!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Actuarial Fables posted:

The joys of owning a car and a boat, all in one!

All we need now is a carboat being pulled by a team of Clydesdales and we will have achieved peak BWM.

Bonus if they are all financed by underwater loans of course.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Ixian posted:

From the comments

quote:

Having said that, someone at my work just financed a new Dodge Caravan... over 96 months.

It’s absolutely stupid.

But since the deal was done, I didn’t bother saying anything.

An 8 year car loan.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

(Planning) was declined a parent plus loan and wanted to seek help

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6huccd/planning_was_declined_a_parent_plus_loan_and/

quote:

Hello r/personalfinance. Today I applied for a parent plus program with my father. A little background, my father has excellent credit, I however do not. Mine is mid 500's. I had a recent charge off dealing with a car that was in an accident.
In general I have these financial blemishes (gently caress ups) - maxed out boa credit card $500 line - maxed out citi credit card through Costco - 17k car-loan - 3k personal loan - a charge off from the previous car/2 months late on current car payment.
So I know the elephant in the room is yo square away the charge off and get current on the car payments. Beyond that, what are my options to pay for school? Have 1.5 years left, and previously had school taken care of with scholarship, and now am in nursing school and will be done in 1.5 years.

How can I get into more debt that I can't pay for? Kthx.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Motronic posted:

(Planning) was declined a parent plus loan and wanted to seek help

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6huccd/planning_was_declined_a_parent_plus_loan_and/

How can I get into more debt that I can't pay for? Kthx.

How does one gently caress up so bad with this setup? "...previously had school taken care of with scholarship, and now am in nursing school and will be done in 1.5 years?"

That's usually the ticket to being GWM. Get a scholarship, don't go into horrible debt, go into a well-paying field. How many bad decisions can one person make to eliminate all benefits otherwise?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

OctaviusBeaver posted:

From the comments

An 8 year car loan.

Well, see, house loans are 30+ so why can't cars go higher?

It's easy to blame financiers behind the scenes for taking advantage of stupidity, even encouraging it, but we're talking willful stupidity in so many cases. I want this thing, I must have this thing. The only cost that matters is what I pay every month....someone is making bank on this.

Same person getting an 84 or 96 month loan probably also bitches about "the 1%" ruining the country with greed. Cognitive dissonance, it's not just for academics anymore.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6hu70b/would_it_be_wise_to_sell_my_car_for_a_cheaper_one/

quote:

I bought a 2015 SUV.
I have had the car for about 1 year. The price tag was 26,000. I owe about 22,00 now. The payments are set at 72 months. I make 33,000/yr
I put about 25k-30,000 miles on the car a year. It is currently at about 60,000.
Buy the time I pay off the car, should I expect a heavy financial burden regarding repairs? Would it be more wise to sell the car and buy something closing to $8k-$10,000 and have it paid off before I hit 150k-200k miles?
Thank you.

Whhhyyyyyy would you buy a car worth 80% of your annual salary?!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Because they deserve it you dummy. Only a few years back they were probably only making $23k/year. Don't you believe in the American dream?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What is the guidance there?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Title says it all:

quote:

Looking to invest in E-sports anyone know any companies or how I would be able to put my money in to the E-sports scene.

:canada:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a Canadian portfolio company in the e-sports space looking to raise money soon, put them in touch!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I have a Canadian portfolio company in the e-sports space looking to raise money soon, put them in touch!

How do you say "boiler room" in Canadian?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're profitable!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

I have not found any money :(

I found one dollar while jogging, on two separate occasions. More jogging = more money.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

OP seems cool

e: oh my god he's 16 :cripes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianInvestor/comments/69t3sw/as_a_16_year_old_my_dad_wants_to_open_up_an/

e2: aaaaaaa

bonus for the top reply being "40 is a very diverse portfolio" with no idea what those 40 even are

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 17, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pretty tempting to professionally touch the poop and see what happens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
How is a 16-year old putting more than 60k miles on a car in "about a year"?!?!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How is a 16-year old putting more than 60k miles on a car in "about a year"?!?!

Pizza delivery?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Weed, Biotech, and Lithium. Solid portfolio for any budding teenaged investor, HGH.

I am surprised at the lack of Buttcoin. Has that fallen out of favor with the young & trendy already?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ixian posted:

The only cost that matters is what I pay every month....

As an Australian, the first time I ever saw a live stream of American television that included the American advertisements in place, I was absolutely horrified by your car ads. Not a single one of them listed the actual total price of the car, it was universally what the payment rate was. If the only thing they care about is the monthly payment rate, that's because there's been a whole lot of training involved.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Breetai posted:

As an Australian, the first time I ever saw a live stream of American television that included the American advertisements in place, I was absolutely horrified by your car ads. Not a single one of them listed the actual total price of the car, it was universally what the payment rate was. If the only thing they care about is the monthly payment rate, that's because there's been a whole lot of training involved.

My favorite are the ads that say "starting at $27999" with very very small text at the bottom reading "as shown $46000"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Breetai posted:

And the best part is that it won't change until our country as a whole decides to care about the total price(aka 'never'). :capitalism:

ranbo das posted:

My favorite are the ads that say "starting at $27999" with very very small text at the bottom reading "as shown $46000"
Another good one is the NO MONEY DOWN!! ads. Who wouldn't want to be underwater from the start of the loan??

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Another good one is the NO MONEY DOWN!! ads. Who wouldn't want to be underwater from the start of the loan??

If you're not underwater at the start of a loan, then you're not in as good of a vehicle as you could be!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Ixian posted:

Weed, Biotech, and Lithium. Solid portfolio for any budding teenaged investor, HGH.

I am surprised at the lack of Buttcoin. Has that fallen out of favor with the young & trendy already?

eth is where it's at bruh

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Would a weed based ETF be BWM or GWM?

e: it actually exists, wow

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I saw a car for sale with a 10% discount for payment in cryptocurrency. It specified no Bitcoin, so I guess it's going out of favor?

Bonus BWM: the title said 10% discount for cryptocurrency. The price was listed at $5500. The ad said $4500 of paid in cryptocurrency.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hoo boy, sucks to be this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6hyiq6/nv_inherited_overwhelming_debt_from_a_brokerage/

quote:

I'm really overwhelmed right now and I don't even know where to begin. Google searching isn't helping at all.
My father passed away suddenly and he left his taxable brokerage account to me via a transfer on death policy. I presented the death certificate to the brokerage and took control of it a while ago. It took some time to go through the account and learn about stocks. A week after possessing the account it went negative $75k (from positive 50k~.) and the brokerage liquidated everything. The broker issued a margin call on the account. I had no idea at the time why this happened but doing some research it seems like my dad "short selled" some call options "naked" according to the broker. I think it means he was betting that a stock would go down but it went up instead and he risked unlimited losses.
The broker is demanding payment from me. This is really really crippling as I can't just come up with $75k and I don't know how it is possible to inherit debt. The broker told me I was responsible the day I did the transfer of death and should have known and managed the positions before doing so. To me it's really ridiculous that there could be these lurking time bombs. Do they have any legal responsibility to close out risky positions such as that?
I don't know what to do or who to turn to. Is it possible to get back the $50k and not have a debt? If not, is it possible to turn it back over to his estate so I'm not on the hook for a huge bill?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure how to feel about it. Boy is stupid to sign for poo poo he doesn't understand, but then again, I can see how an average uneducated person may not understand the situation. I guess it depends on the timeframe. If he had an entire week or month to close out the positions and he didn't, then yea, it is more on him. But if it took place within mere days, maybe less so.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice it was a week. Yea, not sure how to feel about it. Actually, now that I think about it, how can he even sign for it personally? Doesn't it have to go through probate and so forth to settle up everything?

John Smith fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 18, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Smith posted:

Edit: Oops, didn't notice it was a week. Yea, not sure how to feel about it. Actually, now that I think about it, how can he even sign for it personally? Doesn't it have to go through probate and so forth to settle up everything?

Having designated beneficiaries allows many accounts to bypass probate I believe.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

baquerd posted:

Having designated beneficiaries allows many accounts to bypass probate I believe.
I see. Well, I am well-known here for being a extremist, but even I wouldn't be too hard on him. I mean, it literally took place within a week if you believe him. I can certainly see how an uneducated person may not realize what he signed for.

He still go to take the financial hit, of course (unless he manages to wriggle out, which seems unlikely). But morally, shrug.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Breetai posted:

Before they got bailed out by the government, US car companies made all their money on leases and loans. If you walked into the dealership and paid for a new car up front, they probably lost money on the deal.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Breetai posted:

Canadian car commercials are the same, all about the payment rather than the price.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Canadian car commercials are the same, all about the payment rather than the price.

Only $49/month!

$8999 down

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's become such a big thing that when you walk into a car dealership and just ask for the price (like is it going for retail? below retail?) you can tell the dealer hasn't really used that part of his brain in a long time and it trips him up a bit. They are also usually barely able to conceal their annoyance and disappointment that they got stuck with one of those customers who actually wants to know the price. Yes this includes whatever lovely "no haggle" haggle dealer you have in your neighborhood.

I think about 50-60% of capitalism in the USA is this obfuscation horseshit that will some day be illegal. Hopefully.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think about 50-60% of capitalism in the USA is this obfuscation horseshit that will some day be illegal. Hopefully.

For all its faults, capitalism is very good at finding the "optimal" profit solution.

The problem is after you've cut costs down to diminishing returns territory, your next best options are monopolies and information asymmetry. I used scare quotes for "optimal" because without regulation and enforcement of those regulations there's nothing preventing things like price gouging, child and slave labor, negative externalities like dumping toxic waste, lying about the product, or providing a product that literally kills people when they use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

This is amazing. If you asked 100 people on the street if you can lose more than you invest in the market, 99 of them would say 'no' so I can completely understand why this guy ended up getting screwed. He should lawyer up, though I'm not sure if it will make a lick of difference.