Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Phone posted:

What's a good/accurate/SRL approved SNES emulator for Mac? It looks like higan doesn't work out of the box and SNES9x doesn't have Mac binaries from what I've seen.

e: nm found a 1.53 dmg

Dude if you are on a Mac you should be using OpenEmu for EVERYTHING. It is the best emulation software out there for any platform period IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Djarum posted:

Dude if you are on a Mac you should be using OpenEmu for EVERYTHING. It is the best emulation software out there for any platform period IMO.

Alright, this looks to be not-poo poo.

Now to just loving unzip all of these roms (why did you make a rar of zips, you piece of poo poo you loving gently caress)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
CEN64 is the standalone cycle-accurate N64 emulator project, and MAME has their own cycle-accurate emulator for the N64 in progress. Both work and MAME's driver can load most ROMs at this point, but they often run quite slow since they''re aiming for accuracy first before they get to improving performance.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, it's worth noting that, even if the tech is a clusterfuck, PJ64 and Mupen64Plus can play the vast majority of commercial games without serious glitching. We've got a ways to go before we can reasonably say "N64 emulation is in a good state," esp. when it comes to stuff like archival/making romhacks that work on real hardware/etc, but we're already at the point where you can play N64 games on your computer without poo poo results.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, it's worth noting that, even if the tech is a clusterfuck, PJ64 and Mupen64Plus can play the vast majority of commercial games without serious glitching. We've got a ways to go before we can reasonably say "N64 emulation is in a good state," esp. when it comes to stuff like archival/making romhacks that work on real hardware/etc, but we're already at the point where you can play N64 games on your computer without poo poo results.

Are the Rare games working? Last i heard, they had some issues with freezing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Willo567 posted:

Everything is "working" on those earlier emulators, but freezing at random comes with it. Nothing you can really do about it til CEN64 and MAME's N64 driver are further along.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Willo567 posted:

The Banjo games and DK64 are janky (the latter almost unplayably so), but Blast Corps, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are fine last I checked, and I'm totally unsure about CBFD or Jet Force Gemini (I played CBFD on PJ64 over a decade ago and it seemed to run well, but I was also a kid).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Is it really issues if that behavior is accurate to the original games?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure there's dedicated emulators so you can use mouse and keyboard with GE and PD. Pretty sure they have both games running at better framerates too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

Is it really issues if that behavior is accurate to the original games?

The problem is it's actively worse than in the originals, at least with the Banjos and DK64.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mariooncrack posted:

I'm pretty sure there's dedicated emulators so you can use mouse and keyboard with GE and PD. Pretty sure they have both games running at better framerates too.

They're just normal emulators pre setup with certain plug-ins you can get elsewhere. You can even use those plug-ins with other N64 games though they won't always feel good.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I stumbled across a rather minty SNES Mini at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show last weekend for the very reasonable price of $65:

First thing I did when I got home was mod that sucker for S-Video. These pixels are crispy! :swoon:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dragged my SNES out of boxes to play some games I picked up recently, and realized that I don't actually have a good AV cable for this thing. All I can find is an old Madcatz Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 RF adapter and that's not gonna cut it anymore. What's the recommended S-Video cable for SNES? I'm seeing lots of mixed reviews on Amazon for any of them I look at and googling it hasn't gotten me anywhere really.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

This is the best S-video cable I've found under $20: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-...n0AAOSwEppUPd4d

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

Dragged my SNES out of boxes to play some games I picked up recently, and realized that I don't actually have a good AV cable for this thing. All I can find is an old Madcatz Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 RF adapter and that's not gonna cut it anymore. What's the recommended S-Video cable for SNES? I'm seeing lots of mixed reviews on Amazon for any of them I look at and googling it hasn't gotten me anywhere really.

I think I got this one from Ebay, and I've had quite satisfactory results with it.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft-/131859379599

It might seem a little pricey, but the description talks a good talk that suggests the seller knows what they're doing and why the price is justified. There might be cheaper variants of it on Ebay, if you want to roll the dice.

EDIT: Beaten by Monitor Burn, but I guess since we linked to the same seller you can take my post as a second testimonial.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

All New Sonic posted:

I stumbled across a rather minty SNES Mini at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show last weekend for the very reasonable price of $65:

First thing I did when I got home was mod that sucker for S-Video. These pixels are crispy! :swoon:

Fine work and a wise decision. Did you also mod the RGB output back in?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/spacecoyotl/status/876066110017200129

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drat, Mandrake is expensive. I'll point out that it's that much for a low grade copy, too.

I wonder if there's a particular reason that Virtual Bart is so expensive. Obviously being a western developed game on a dead platform in Japan meant that it sold very few copies but that's usually a couple of hundred dollars (see Battletoads sitting next to it on the shelf or the Spider-Man beat-'em-ups).

Anyhoo, I got mildly curious about old hobbyist game maker platforms; the kind of thing where you'd buy some software that would let you make your own games. Basically, I was wondering if anything that people made survived. Are there Adventure Construction Set games still out there? What about The Bard's Tale Construction Set (which is what actually got me looking)? Unlimited Adventures?

From my cursory search of platforms that I knew, it seems that nothing pre-1990 survives. :( It's not a huge shock, since people would be making these things on their own and they might, possibly let their friends try them. Still, I was hopeful that one or two disks might have been dumped somewhere and we could check out the game some 12 year old made in his bedroom back in 1985.

I did find two(!)complete Bard's Tale Construction Set games out there. They're by the same author, but something survived from that release.

Apparently there's still a community out there making modules for Unlimited Adventure, though that I suspect has to do with its D&D license.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Seattle retro game expo is still tiny without a ton of vendors, but I found a surprising number of games this year. I almost bought a Hello Kitty Dreamcast, but it was the blue and not the pink one, so I passed.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Random Stranger posted:

I wonder if there's a particular reason that Virtual Bart is so expensive. Obviously being a western developed game on a dead platform in Japan meant that it sold very few copies but that's usually a couple of hundred dollars (see Battletoads sitting next to it on the shelf or the Spider-Man beat-'em-ups).

Yeah.. there are several Acclaim games from the late 16-bit era, almost all of which are licensed titles (across both Super Famicom and Mega Drive), that have inordinately expensive ($600-1500) Japanese releases. They've been this way for several years, and all I've been able to come up with is speculation along the lines of what you've posted: Low print runs on moribund consoles, franchise ties that lead to high desirability among completists, etc.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Chainclaw posted:

The Seattle retro game expo is still tiny without a ton of vendors, but I found a surprising number of games this year. I almost bought a Hello Kitty Dreamcast, but it was the blue and not the pink one, so I passed.

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game is something I hope to one day own I'm pretty jealous.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I knew the arcade and console versions were different, but I had no idea the arcade one was developed by the Golden Tee guys. :pwn:

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Fine work and a wise decision. Did you also mod the RGB output back in?

Unfortunately, I'm still poor-ish and don't have any devices that accept RGB, so I didn't bother. Some day, though! :retrogames:

Chainclaw posted:

I have a feeling those are the very same carts I was eyeing at the NW Pinball and Arcade Show in Tacoma. Did you catch the name of the vendor?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I knew the arcade and console versions were different, but I had no idea the arcade one was developed by the Golden Tee guys. :pwn:

They're also the Time Killers and Bloodstorm guys! SF:TM looks like Virtua Fighter next to those two pieces of poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're also the Time Killers and Bloodstorm guys! SF:TM looks like Virtua Fighter next to those two pieces of poo poo.

I was going to strongly disagree with you, but then I remembered you were talking about the arcade version. I would still rather play Time Killers than Street Fighter: The Move, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy Father's Day

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I wish I had attended Sega high school.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

I wish I had attended Sega high school.

I played for their football team, the Nomads.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

univbee posted:

it's a shame you never won a game though :allears:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Hey that kind of makes sense since they were one of the few places with a digitization setup.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

All New Sonic posted:

Unfortunately, I'm still poor-ish and don't have any devices that accept RGB, so I didn't bother. Some day, though! :retrogames:

I have a feeling those are the very same carts I was eyeing at the NW Pinball and Arcade Show in Tacoma. Did you catch the name of the vendor?

I picked these up spread across 4 vendors, I don't remember any of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same, I have to imagine most of those vendors go to both.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just got off a cruise, here's Wii Sports being played on a giant screen via composite.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wizgot posted:

it's a shame you never won a game though :allears:

univbee posted:

It didn't help that when they went on the road they would run out of players before halftime...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Some of the players would drop the ball if an opponent even slightly bumped into them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Still playing Might and Magic. My characters have reached level 7 and I've reached a point where the explosion of directions I can go in has become pretty overwhelming. Every dungeon and town has portals to other dungeons and towns and you can wander all of the place. I've got a dozen maps less than half filled in from sticking my nose into places and then getting kicked out. I found the merchant pass that lets me into castles to get quests, but the first quest I took seems to be pretty nasty to get into. I also found a hermit that offered to trade; saying yes took all of my inventory items away and gave me some pirate maps. Since I had significant items in my inventory when that happened, I just had to reload.

There's too many useless spells in the game. I've gotten spells that do 1d30 damage, but there's plenty of spells that do something like (level)d4 damage and are statistically better.

I have a real problem with mapping:

I actually have two cats and they fight over getting to sleep on my maps and pad.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 18, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/876509625067220996

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

Just got off a cruise, here's Wii Sports being played on a giant screen via composite.

Lmao holy poo poo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Random Stranger posted:

Still playing Might and Magic. My characters have reached level 7 and I've reached a point where the explosion of directions I can go in has become pretty overwhelming. Every dungeon and town has portals to other dungeons and towns and you can wander all of the place. I've got a dozen maps less than half filled in from sticking my nose into places and then getting kicked out. I found the merchant pass that lets me into castles to get quests, but the first quest I took seems to be pretty nasty to get into. I also found a hermit that offered to trade; saying yes took all of my inventory items away and gave me some pirate maps. Since I had significant items in my inventory when that happened, I just had to reload.

There's too many useless spells in the game. I've gotten spells that do 1d30 damage, but there's plenty of spells that do something like (level)d4 damage and are statistically better.

I have a real problem with mapping:

I actually have two cats and they fight over getting to sleep on my maps and pad.

I feel this post, I had a binder full of Might and Magic 2 maps. Which led to mapping out EverQuest, such was a nightmare.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

Cat functioning as intended

Please pet belly and report results

My only experience with CRPGs before adulthood was SNES Eye of the Beholder. NP, as with nearly everything else, made it look neat and enticing and had maps of several levels, so I traded a friend-of-a-friend for it. Cool game, it was so vastly different than the jRPG stuff I was used to. I specifically remember enjoying character creation and all those possibilities. I don't recall if I finished it, but I think I got pretty far - the game was kicking my rear end with teleporter floors and stuff.

Trading someone I didn't know wasn't wise, it nearly ended in disaster. I had to press our mutual friend for quite a while before I managed to get my game back. On the bright side, someone out there got to play Chrono Trigger when it was current who might not have otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

My only experience with CRPGs before adulthood was SNES Eye of the Beholder. NP, as with nearly everything else, made it look neat and enticing and had maps of several levels, so I traded a friend-of-a-friend for it. Cool game, it was so vastly different than the jRPG stuff I was used to. I specifically remember enjoying character creation and all those possibilities. I don't recall if I finished it, but I think I got pretty far - the game was kicking my rear end with teleporter floors and stuff.

Eye of the Beholder is a tough game on its own due to the way that it hides required buttons and the like. As rough as that can be on the computer, it must be positively nasty on the SNES.

The sequels are even crueler since they're designed to challenge parties that completed the game in series. There's also a roguelike version called Dungeon Hack, though I think the fun of this kind of CRPG is figuring out puzzles and the clever dungeon design that one is not so much fun. If you want to play them, GOG has the whole series on sale today for $3.

If you like that style of game, Dungeon Master also got a SNES release (and a TG-16 CD, too). It uses pre-generated characters and you build your party out of a group of those, but I think the dungeon exploration is better.

• Locked thread