Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Great now KJU is gonna be great at making deals.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chunkles posted:

watch danny ainge yank this trade off the table like lucy pulling the football away for the 1000th time

An ever escalating series of more and more interesting trade scenarios involving more and more picks until he finally collects an entire draft trades it in a 30 team apocalypse and it's canceled because devean george has a functional no trade clause

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

2017 has been wild

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
i've said it before and i'll say it again, rodman is going to cause the apocalypse

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/Salon/status/875890774143053825

hahahahaha

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TURN LEFT GARPAX

GhostOfMagellan
Mar 12, 2012
So if the Celtics somehow finally, truly get Jimmy Buckets this time, Hayward probably doesn't sign with them correct?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GhostOfMagellan posted:

So if the Celtics somehow finally, truly get Jimmy Buckets this time, Hayward probably doesn't sign with them correct?

Maybe tomorrow I can run the possibilities, but I think if Boston drafts someone at 3, signs them, waits 30 days, they can sign Hayward first and send the #3 contract and Amir Johnson or Jerebko and they can make the trade work after signing Hayward with space.

I think its very likely Boston could field a Horford/Hayward/Crowder/Butler/IT lineup and still have a pretty good bench. They are going to be in tax hell after next year though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lmao. The world is really strange.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Weed-backed cryptocurrency PotCoin needs to take over award duty from Kia. It has a certain ring to it.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DeimosRising posted:

I wouldn't be too worried either, but the team will be worse next year barring a really lucky signing and will likely continue to decline each year going forward, unlike the Big 3 Heat. Fortunately declining slowly from an all time top 5 team is still a way better next 3 years than any other team is likely to have. In 2020 the team will probably be a big three of Curry/Durant/Green at the end of their primes plus nothing but late rounders and exception vets, and that will still be over the tax even if Iggy's deal expires then, which would mean he didn't sign for length. It's all gravy but this was probably the peak.

I think next year will be the peak, and then the decline will happen. It took most of this season to fully integrate KD into the team. Curry subsumed his game to make KD more comfortable, they didn't have their timing down on switches, etc. By the late season Curry was currying, the defense was great, and they were a juggernaut - they ended on a 32-2 run. Absent injuries, I expect to see that level of play again next season.

After that, it will decline. The bench will get shallower, they might get bored, Klay will leave in FA or get traded, etc.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

chunkles posted:

i've said it before and i'll say it again, rodman is going to cause the apocalypse

Fam he will save the world.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I think it's beautiful that America can demonstrate it's not all supreme commander Breedlove maniacs, and spontaneously send good will to an isolated paranoid and hosed up country in the form of the best rebounder in NBA history and some guys whose names you remember because they were in NBA Jam

In NBA coverage news, Kelly Dwyer was fired from the Ball Don't Lie blog at yahoo, which used to be my default one stop NBA coverage source, but I had totally forgotten about, because yahoo did no promotion whatsoever and probably forgot about him in 2014 or so

After seeing his byline next to Zatch Loeb's, I realized Marc Stein is still producing stories for ESPN, I thought he was fired? Maybe contract not renewed?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 17, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is zatch loeb Ian's dad? Stein like the other "firings" is working till his contract expires. Part of me thinks loeb shared the scoop with him cus he felt bad

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 17, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So LeBron has been quoted as saying:

A) Didn't start the superteam trend
B) Does not flop, nor does he even know HOW to flop
C) Is not balding

This is why I can never respect this man.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

RCarr posted:

So LeBron has been quoted as saying:

A) Didn't start the superteam trend
B) Does not flop, nor does he even know HOW to flop
C) Is not balding

This is why I can never respect this man.

A is true
B is only somewhat false because in the context of big time NBA floppers I wouldn't include Lebron
C is false.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
well, noone knows what a flop is, thats why it works.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Femur posted:

Wow, really makes you think, instead of realizing that the NBA absolutely knows what a flop is and that's why they fine people for them

A completed pass in the devil's sport of football on the other hand

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 17, 2017

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I like this one dude on RealGM that keeps saying the Bulls should call Lebron and trade him Butler for unprotected future firsts because Lebron ain't gonna give a gently caress about it, he wants to win now.

What could the Cav's get for 20', 22', and 24' unprotected firsts (I think those are the first they can trade)?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Femur posted:

"Ah may not know the exact definition of flopography, Suh, but I knows it when I sees it."

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Wow, really makes you think, instead of realizing that the NBA absolutely knows what a flop is and that's why they fine people for them

A completed pass in the devil's sport of football on the other hand

well how many fines do they hand out? Is it a high percentage of how many actually occur? why not? it's all taped in HD? if you know.

Lebron, like all NBA player, thinks every foul he commits is a flop from the other person. so of course hes confused on floping, if he knew, he would go to the line every drive.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
like a move like Currys just prefalling to protect his ankles, all these flops could be same thing. You think something is about to happen and you protect yourself by going with the force you expect..

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Femur posted:

like a move like Currys just prefalling to protect his ankles, all these flops could be same thing. You think something is about to happen and you protect yourself by going with the force you expect..

Come on man.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I don't know why this wasn't reported at the time, but Brandon Jennings told a story about the Knicks' secret santa on BOMM. The gift had to be at least $500, Marshall Plumlee bought one of those magic trick fire tables that Kyle O'Quinn ended up with, and Ron Baker got a dashiki. One player got 2 pairs of shoes on his Nike free merchandise card and used that as a gift

Marshall Plumlee likes close up magic

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
LeBron cut way back on the egregious flops because it takes you out of the play if it's not called. He's not Lionel Messi Who Never Dives or anything but nowadays it goes the other way--players get away with a lot of fouls on him because he's usually trying to play through contact and the other mortals aren't powerful enough to impede his progress. He's so god damned strong a lot of his normal motions look like clear-out offensive fouls.

Also I was thinking about that BruhReport LeBron > Jordan rant and the part where the ranting dude accidentally calls Michael Jordan "Michael Jackson" and how it was a sensible mistake because back then Magic Johnson Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson were working on some kinda convergent path, and Jordan's Marketing was so far beyond LeBron's marketing it's not even a discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHI1yI1Ndk
MJ couldn't write a bad song even for some corny cross-promotion, hah.
closest thing LeBron got to that was his guest spot in Trainwreck and it's hard to argue Bill Hader + Amy Schumer have the same pull as the King Of Pop

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Marshall Plumlee likes close up magic

The close-up magic scene is dominated by pro-athletes going forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjTTjaNSyY

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Butler was involved in all this, why wouldn't Boston just trade the #1 for him? Why involve Philly at all?

I still don't think this happens because I don't think the Bulls will do a full rebuild for financial reasons. And I think GarPax are lazy and probably don't want to do a bunch of extra work.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bulls are going to trade Jimmy Butler for the #3 pick and draft Luke Kennard

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I think they want to basically turn the dollar bill of the #1 pick into smaller pieces so they can get Butler for like 80 cents and keep the change for themselves.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My best guess as to Ainge's possiblee motives, other than his unquenchable thirst for assets:

1) He likes Jackson just as much as, if not more than, Fultz, and so there's no reason not to move down and get more pieces while still picking your favorite guy

2) He likes Jackson nearly as much as Fultz, and he thinks it's worth a marginal downgrade in talent to accumulate more pieces that keep Boston's roster-building options wide open. They can move any future picks they get, along with the Brooklyn 2018 pick and their unending stock of wings, at any time. If they need to do so now to woo a big free agent, they can do that. If they're doing really well in the regular season and Cleveland looks vulnerable, they can do it at the deadline. And if they want to wait until next offseason, sure, why not?

Basically, I think there's probably not a "next move" already etched into stone. It could materialize quickly, or it could never happen because Ainge can't bring himself to pull the trigger. And it might be fun to laugh at Boston for not pushing its chips forward, but it seems like "getting a bunch of lottery picks while your team is still good" isn't a terrible outcome either

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

I think they want to basically turn the dollar bill of the #1 pick into smaller pieces so they can get Butler for like 80 cents and keep the change for themselves.

Perhaps. Can't fathom Philly gives up that Lakers or Kings pick in this deal. So is Boston doing this to just add a few more 2nd round picks?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Niwrad posted:

Perhaps. Can't fathom Philly gives up that Lakers or Kings pick in this deal

Why can't you fathom that, that's what literally everyone is reporting

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I feel terrible for all the Bulls fans here who predict every franchise decision by saying, "Garpax is stupid, so they'll do the most harebrained, mediocre thing they can" and then it happens

Cool Buff Man posted:

Maybe his pole's too short, don't be disrespectful

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Kinda OT, but with the mention of 2nd round picks I am wondering if teams that are in the luxury tax and sell picks have to pay the tax on the money they get or if they can use it to offset their tax bills? If so, this would be a good idea for some teams.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Maybe his pole's too short, don't be disrespectful

Fair enough. I didn't mean to insult your pole Niwrad, please forgive me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

The Bulls are going to trade Jimmy Butler for the #3 pick and draft Luke Kennard

I know you're joking but they probably have their eyes on one person and will do anything to get him because scouting other players is a pain in the rear end. And that player is likely much lower on everyone else's draft board than where the Bulls will take him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

They just seem incredibly valuable. Unprotected picks from bad teams. There's a decent chance that Lakers pick is top-5 next year and that Kings pick is top-3. And this doesn't seem like a draft with a huge gap between players on top to move up two spots.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Niwrad posted:

They just seem incredibly valuable. Unprotected picks from bad teams. There's a decent chance that Lakers pick is top-5 next year and that Kings pick is top-3. And this doesn't seem like a draft with a huge gap between players on top to move up two spots.

I'm well aware of how valuable they are and that's exactly why the Celtics are interested in the trade, they're not trading down to 3 for 2nd round picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Someday Zogo and I will find the paper trail that proves Boston is paying off Prokhorov to keep the Nets rock bottom terrible

Michael Corleone posted:

Kinda OT, but with the mention of 2nd round picks I am wondering if teams that are in the luxury tax and sell picks have to pay the tax on the money they get or if they can use it to offset their tax bills? If so, this would be a good idea for some teams.

They don't have to pay tax, the cap only applies to player contracts and unsigned draft picks, not the pick itself as a slot in the draft. There's a cap at 3m per pick I think, and the money maybe? probably? goes to BRI, which means they have to pay half of it to the players.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 17, 2017

• Locked thread