Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

StoicFnord posted:

Just finished watching FoldableHumans "review" of the Book of Henry and I am pissing myself in laughter at the car crash of it. (the film, not the review)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO4o-gYkr7E

:staredog: I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't that the movie that had that trailer that completely bizarrely switches its tone half-way in?

EDIT: Haha yes it loving is, everyone should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

Holy poo poo that twist. It starts off as a sickening "look at this precious, precocious, perfect boy who helps his weary mother" movie.

I thought the twist was going to be he loving bites it. Honestly, I'm almost tempted to see it, though Henry seems insufferable. The twist does put his insufferability and his mother's reliance on him in a totally different, sinister light.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
nothing I love more than a film about jesus-like children

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That Rabbit Hole Video on DarkSydePhil gives me the impression he is some kind of tragic literary character whose name I can't remember; he screws up badly and ends up in financial jeoaordy, but is delivered from debt by making a deal with a new company, only to screw up once more having not learned nothing. But, in the book there's no screaming at video-games and the act of masturbation is only alluded to instead of captured on webcam.

Ignacius C. Riley is a blueprint for nearly all internet losers

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynFWZvCrLg

Man all Todd's reviews of popular songs involve nitpicking the lyrics and inserting his boring movie opinions to the exclusion of most anything else, nowdays huh

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

They have always been that.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Mr. Fowl posted:

Holy poo poo that twist. It starts off as a sickening "look at this precious, precocious, perfect boy who helps his weary mother" movie.

I thought the twist was going to be he loving bites it. Honestly, I'm almost tempted to see it, though Henry seems insufferable. The twist does put his insufferability and his mother's reliance on him in a totally different, sinister light.

Go see it. Gawk. Stare. Let your jaw go slack with bewilderment.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

They have always been that.

Well I'm noticing it now then

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

FoldableHuman posted:

Go see it. Gawk. Stare. Let your jaw go slack with bewilderment.

If we all see it, we may double the gross.

It's listed as opening next week in the UK. I don't know how I can wait in suspense for so long.

Edit : don't want to double post but this is from "The Numbers"

"One last result worth looking at is The Book of Henry, which opened with $508,000 in 579 theaters. It won’t open below the Mendoza Line, but it will come awfully close. The film’s box office numbers, plus its reviews, are so bad that more than a few people are talking about whether or not Colin Trevorrow, the director, will keep his Star Wars Episode IX job."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Anyway, did anyone ever figure out why judging literary only based on its prose is derived from upper-class snobbery? I'm still confused about that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well I'm noticing it now then

Him nitpicking the lyrics to bad and boujee was hilarious but not the way he intended.

Lmao

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really interested because it's such a philosophical house of cards.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't that the movie that had that trailer that completely bizarrely switches its tone half-way in?

That's amazing. You'd think it would at least have the same tone throughout, so it's either a weird dark comedy or paints the situation as unsettling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol

Anyway, did anyone ever figure out why judging literary only based on its prose is derived from upper-class snobbery? I'm still confused about that.

lol shut up u baby

EDIT: ok that was mean but seriously nobody cares that was like a year ago dude get with the times man

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 18, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
more importantly is who the hell wrote the movie anyway? who thought people want to watch a movie about a literal know-it-all kid?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tired Moritz posted:

more importantly is who the hell wrote the movie anyway? who thought people want to watch a movie about a literal know-it-all kid?

Presumably to take the audience down that hard-left turn into :wtc:.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MiddleOne posted:

How the hell did Dean Norris get roped into this? Did he already blow through his Breaking Bad money?

E: I read the spoilers and this goes straight into :psyboom: territory. In case anyone cares (you should because what the gently caress)

The kid dies of a tumor early in the movie. BUT WAIT, he left a bunch of tape recordings detailing the crime next door and how to catch the abusive father -- this is why Naomi Watts is wearing the earbuds in that trailer. So not only is this insufferable shitface of a kid the focus of the movie, he's even the focus from beyond the grave.

Dan Olson was right, I have to see this now.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 18, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dean Norris is cursed, go watch Under the Dome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbyhhVkrKG0

Nash has upgraded from cats to literal muppets hanging out in the background of his show now. WTFIWWY has taken a weird turn man...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Benne posted:

How the hell did Dean Norris get roped into this? Did he already blow through his Breaking Bad money?

E: I read the spoilers and this goes straight into :psyboom: territory. In case anyone cares (you should because what the gently caress)

The kid dies of a tumor early in the movie. BUT WAIT, he left a bunch of tape recordings detailing the crime next door and how to catch the abusive father -- this is why Naomi Watts is wearing the earbuds in that trailer. So not only is this insufferable shitface of a kid the focus of the movie, he's even the focus from beyond the grave.

Dan Olson was right, I have to see this now.

That's not even the spoiler, that's just straight up the premise. Apparently there's an even more :wtc: thing that I didn't spoil myself on

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
What did Naomi Watts did to have so many terrible movies

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How many critics even judge literature only based on its prose? It seems like a pointless worry.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

What did Naomi Watts did to have so many terrible movies

She 's one of my favorite actresses but she should def' get a new agent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tired Moritz posted:

What did Naomi Watts do to have so many terrible movies

Movie 43 :v:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How many critics even judge literature only based on its prose? It seems like a pointless worry.

Where the hell is this coming from?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Darth Walrus posted:

A BOTL post.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

James Gunn and Chris Pratt didn't hurt from that though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

He's stuck in a feedback loop, just ignore him

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sarcopenia posted:

She 's one of my favorite actresses but she should def' get a new agent.

She had one of the best scenes in nu-Twin Peaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qOkfWBdUpU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbyhhVkrKG0

Nash has upgraded from cats to literal muppets hanging out in the background of his show now. WTFIWWY has taken a weird turn man...

I always forget about WTFIWWY, but when I do remember to watch it, it's always fun because Nash and Tara have such great chemistry. I haven't seen it since he got those red curtains which make it look like he's broadcasting from the black lodge though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I always forget about WTFIWWY, but when I do remember to watch it, it's always fun because Nash and Tara have such great chemistry. I haven't seen it since he got those red curtains which make it look like he's broadcasting from the black lodge though.

It's actually a green screen and the red is part of the show broadcast background. It's really noticeable when his cat starts playing around in the background and it looks like he's just floating in midair behind Nash's head.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Well I'm glad he's not actually broadcasting from the Black Lodge. That would probably make things unpleasant.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So, lost a job, falling back onto da Youtubes, so here's a video on Everworld #4 - Realm of the Reaper. This is the book where the Norse underworld goddess Hel tries to magic rape three teenage boys. It's a bit gross.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm going back through some of Noah Caldwell Gervais's older reviews, and I just finished his System/Bioshock video. Pretty good overall but I disagree with him a whole lot on Bioshock Infinite. To me that game falls into the same trap of The Last of Us in that its story and presentation only serve to highlight how mundane gameplay mechanics can gut the enjoyment of a game's story. The storytelling in Last of Us and Infinite are both excellent, but then you ask "what is the point of playing this?" when both games are just bog standard 3rd person survival with sluggish controls and linear corridor shooter respectively. I feel like the trouble with a lot of game stories is that they don't synergize well with the actual gameplay, which is where games can define themselves from books, films or television. So I disagree with Noah's assessment that Infinite was one of the most important games of the decade, because they accomplished a compelling plot at the expense of the mechanics and complexity that the 'shock games are praised for.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's the opposite. The below-average gameplay dulls your brain to the point where you think anything about the story actually makes sense because hey, at least it isn't more boring gauntlets of running around in circles and shooting generic enemies.

I've been replaying Opposing Force recently and it's making me bitter about modern FPS-design. Has there been anything good besides Prey so far this year?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not this year, no. Last year you had DOOM and if you like stop and pop Gears 4.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe I'm showing my age here (will turn 30 next month! Real geezer here!) but I've rapidly lost interest in games with a heavy "storytelling" emphasis, because most of them don't actually have a compelling story and age poorly as a result . Just give me something with fun gameplay, good controls and strong replay value, and I'll probably enjoy it. Everything else is window dressing.

I'm still playing Super Mario World after 20+ years, and that barely pretended to have a story. Just saying. I'm probably yelling at clouds here, so judge my hot takes accordingly.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Benne posted:

Maybe I'm showing my age here (will turn 30 next month! Real geezer here!) but I've rapidly lost interest in games with a heavy "storytelling" emphasis, because most of them don't actually have a compelling story and age poorly as a result . Just give me something with fun gameplay, good controls and strong replay value, and I'll probably enjoy it. Everything else is window dressing.

I'm still playing Super Mario World after 20+ years, and that barely pretended to have a story. Just saying. I'm probably yelling at clouds here, so judge my hot takes accordingly.

On the flip side, MGS2 aged fairly well in some ways, with the addition of postmodern readings and the odd prescience some of what it had to say ended up having. MGS ages pretty well as a whole outside of how it portrayed women, where it floundered pretty hard.

And of course the further we get from any single KH release the more it's clear that it overthrows Shakespeare, what with such amazing writing as "I'm already half-Xehanort!"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm going back through some of Noah Caldwell Gervais's older reviews, and I just finished his System/Bioshock video. Pretty good overall but I disagree with him a whole lot on Bioshock Infinite. To me that game falls into the same trap of The Last of Us in that its story and presentation only serve to highlight how mundane gameplay mechanics can gut the enjoyment of a game's story. The storytelling in Last of Us and Infinite are both excellent, but then you ask "what is the point of playing this?" when both games are just bog standard 3rd person survival with sluggish controls and linear corridor shooter respectively. I feel like the trouble with a lot of game stories is that they don't synergize well with the actual gameplay, which is where games can define themselves from books, films or television. So I disagree with Noah's assessment that Infinite was one of the most important games of the decade, because they accomplished a compelling plot at the expense of the mechanics and complexity that the 'shock games are praised for.

The problem with Infinite is that the storytelling is also not very good. And I say that as someone who kinda likes the ending reel that everyone else hates. The same lack of depth to the gameplay creeps into the story since the Shock games have always heavily intertwined them using the environment; if there's nothing to explore then there's no story to find. And then as a cherry on top they did incredibly dumb things like turn audio logs into an easter egg hunt achievement collectible, which meant that a fair few players didn't even get the whole story, which made the metaphysical stuff all the more confusing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

The problem with Infinite is that the storytelling is also not very good. And I say that as someone who kinda likes the ending reel that everyone else hates. The same lack of depth to the gameplay creeps into the story since the Shock games have always heavily intertwined them using the environment; if there's nothing to explore then there's no story to find. And then as a cherry on top they did incredibly dumb things like turn audio logs into an easter egg hunt achievement collectible, which meant that a fair few players didn't even get the whole story, which made the metaphysical stuff all the more confusing.

The problem with Infinite is it's three disparate script drafts stapled together with portals.

• Locked thread