Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

watho posted:

I've seen their vid on DSP in my recommends but never clicked on it because the last time i watched something about him the person who made the video started talking about what great friends they'd found in the alt-right

As someone who clicked it because I didn't know anything beyond the name: it actually seems pretty well researched and stays rather clinical, even commenting when it needs that coming to some of this stuff late he has to go off of fallout and discussion of some of the original events that are now gone. I'd say give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

watho posted:

I've seen their vid on DSP in my recommends but never clicked on it because the last time i watched something about him the person who made the video started talking about what great friends they'd found in the alt-right

I mean that's kind of a silly reaction if this is an entirely different person, it's not like the topic is the positives of eugenics or something that guarantees a terrible person.

Also Phil being so proud of placing #4 in EVO in a really busted rear end version of Super Turbo, when a bunch of the actual big talent were boycotting the tournament over said jank port, will never stop being funny.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 16, 2017

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

My point was that videos about people with a large hate-following are usually made by the people in that group.

I did watch the video though and it didn't really tell me much that I didn't know but it was really good at keeping a somewhat neutral tone.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I liked down the rabbit hole. Too bad the guy is an alt-right guy.

Though some parts of the Chris-Chan video did give me pause. Where he says swatting is a 'questionable' way to prank someone.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I liked down the rabbit hole. Too bad the guy is an alt-right guy.

I think they were saying that someone else who also made a video about DSP was like that, unless there's something they've actually said too.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

I think they were saying that someone else who also made a video about DSP was like that, unless there's something they've actually said too.

Oh, nevermind then, I can continue to enjoy these internet videos without the taint of nazism.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

CineFix put out a list of their top ten sci-fi movies ever, and that just made me realize that sometimes I forget that Sci-Fi is actually a really, really broad definition for a genre, though I suppose if you tried basically any genre can be contorted into all sorts of interesting places. Like, where does one draw the line on what is "sci-fi" and what isn't? Is it the technology being used in the film? Or is it the specific subject matter? Regardless they end up with some pretty out there picks. And never once mention Star Wars or Star Trek, which is just... how?

Doesn't have Planet of the Vampires or Gojira so it's a bullshit list.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Where he says swatting is a 'questionable' way to prank someone.

he mentioned in the comments that he used 'questionable' sarcastically and that swatting is an extremely poo poo thing to do to anyone

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

financially racist posted:

he mentioned in the comments that he used 'questionable' sarcastically and that swatting is an extremely poo poo thing to do to anyone

Oh good. I mean, it kind of slipped past me since the whole vid is so neutral I didn't even clock a change in delivery.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, I also thought that was a very bizarre choice of words, he really doesn't have the delivery to nail deadpan irony.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looks like RLM knows something about SA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgq3k2qCZgg

I hope Jay never found out what proportion of this thread is certified Gay For Jay. Because it would blow my chances with him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
There was an entire megathread dedicated to RLM in GBS years ago before GBS went off the loving rails and crazy. So yeah I'm not surprised they are aware of SA.

Though you really can't do an in-depth analysis of Slenderman without bringing up SA because it specifically emerged from here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

There was an entire megathread dedicated to RLM in GBS years ago before GBS went off the loving rails and crazy. So yeah I'm not surprised they are aware of SA.

Though you really can't do an in-depth analysis of Slenderman without bringing up SA because it specifically emerged from here.

there still is a gbs thread

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

there still is a gbs thread

Is it the same one? I thought the old one was lost when Old GBS got nuked?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Is it the same one? I thought the old one was lost when Old GBS got nuked?

a new one i think? op is from 2016

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792290

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was lots of creepy posting about Jessi in the old thread. Probably in the new thread too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, the one I'm thinking of had an actual :effortless: OP and was from like 2013-ish. Also yeah, it does not surprise me bit that it devolved into :females: w/r/t Jessi. Goons are godawful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There was one in CineD I "helped" gas by not agreeing 100% with their Phantom Menace review.

Not my greatest moment, to be honest.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

On Metropolis: "...it is bold and beautiful and thematic and political."

Yes, that's how i'd describe a movie. "Thematic and political."

The script and novel of Metropolis was written by Thea von Harbou at a time when she became a supporter of the Nazi party. And in the drafting process inserted blatant Fascist economic themes into the film. It even ends on what would become a slogan and image used by the German Workers Front. Even the prose of the intertitles is Fascist.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Baka-nin posted:

The script and novel of Metropolis was written by Thea von Harbou at a time when she became a supporter of the Nazi party. And in the drafting process inserted blatant Fascist economic themes into the film. It even ends on what would become a slogan and image used by the German Workers Front. Even the prose of the intertitles is Fascist.

drat her, for inserting the Thematic and Political into the movie.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

It also literalises the Madonna-whore dichotomy in a way that I don't think I've seen in any other movie. I mean, come on, people, I'm pretty sure that when he coined the phrase, Freud meant that seeing women that way was bad and abnormal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, the whole "heart" thing at the end is such a cop-out to not come out as wanting to blow up the status quo. I really want to see a remake of Metropolis that goes full Marxist.

The Moroder version is the best anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8MtzRK2ZY

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That Rabbit Hole Video on DarkSydePhil gives me the impression he is some kind of tragic literary character whose name I can't remember; he screws up badly and ends up in financial jeoaordy, but is delivered from debt by making a deal with a new company, only to screw up once more having not learned nothing. But, in the book there's no screaming at video-games and the act of masturbation is only alluded to instead of captured on webcam.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That Rabbit Hole Video on DarkSydePhil gives me the impression he is some kind of tragic literary character whose name I can't remember; he screws up badly and ends up in financial jeoaordy, but is delivered from debt by making a deal with a new company, only to screw up once more having not learned nothing. But, in the book there's no screaming at video-games and the act of masturbation is only alluded to instead of captured on webcam.

Sisyphus?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DSP Plays Rock of Ages

"What? I pushed the boulder up the hill! It rolled down again? That's such bullshit, dude. Zeus is such a hack designer."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, the whole "heart" thing at the end is such a cop-out to not come out as wanting to blow up the status quo. I really want to see a remake of Metropolis that goes full Marxist.

That's why I prefer Die Nibelungen - way better ending.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pAcJ0lFu94

Just saw this pretty good analysis of Taxi Driver. It makes me think of how that movie makes for a good commentary on Red Pill type communities. Even if it was made almost 40 years before them.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
Just finished watching FoldableHumans "review" of the Book of Henry and I am pissing myself in laughter at the car crash of it. (the film, not the review)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO4o-gYkr7E

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm in the middle of watching Lupa's big series on Charmed, I'd forgotten how bad everything got so quickly, Leo being a constant punching bag, Phoebe being such a hag to everyone, good lord.

Playlist for it.

But even if Charmed got terrible fast, at least the intro song is still a neat sounding cover.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

StoicFnord posted:

Just finished watching FoldableHumans "review" of the Book of Henry and I am pissing myself in laughter at the car crash of it. (the film, not the review)

I already read a review of this on Vox that ends with "I dare you to go see it" now this makes me want to actually go see it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I 100% want to see that. I'm completely broke though so I probably won't. Still skipped the spoiler though.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I'm in the middle of watching Lupa's big series on Charmed, I'd forgotten how bad everything got so quickly, Leo being a constant punching bag, Phoebe being such a hag to everyone, good lord.

Playlist for it.

But even if Charmed got terrible fast, at least the intro song is still a neat sounding cover.

I think I've watched that full playlist like 10 times now. I watched a lot of it when I was younger but stopped because I had this feeling of something very unfair going on. It makes total sense why looking back at it.

...and The Elders are gigantic dicks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

StoicFnord posted:

Isn't that the movie that had that trailer that completely bizarrely switches its tone half-way in?

EDIT: Haha yes it loving is, everyone should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sarcopenia posted:

I think I've watched that full playlist like 10 times now. I watched a lot of it when I was younger but stopped because I had this feeling of something very unfair going on. It makes total sense why looking back at it.
...and The Elders are gigantic dicks.
:byodame: Phoebe :byodame: HyiHyiHyiHyiHyiHyiHyiHyiHyi

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

StoicFnord posted:

Hachi machi

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't that the movie that had that trailer that completely bizarrely switches its tone half-way in?

:wtc:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

That honestly looks kind of amazing

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm so watching it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
loving Colin Treverrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU