Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's just so insulting to the player that all this information about the "true story" is 100% withheld in Birthright and Conquest, and then it's just vomited on you at the first opportunity in Revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Wow.

I think the worst thing is... is...

There are too many worst things about this, I'm actually in awe.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Folks, the train to crazy town has just departed

Revelations has one of the worst stories I've played, but it has some neat gimmick maps

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...And why the hell did Azura not tell you this when you picked up Gunter in Conquest? Considering Garon has a boss, I'd think she'd realize that telling even one other person about Anankos when she has the chance would allow everyone to realize that they're celebrating prematurely.

Or hell, why not tell everyone when she's ALREADY dying after the last boss? It's not like she has anything to lose at that point, right?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If this friend of yours told you to jump off a cliff would you?

Duh! Of course!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Face, meet Desk. AND THIS IS FROM SOMEBODY WHO DOESN'T MIND THE BLOOD PACTS IN RD.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If Azura knew all this she should have shoved Ryoma off that bridge ages ago

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Out! Of! Nowhere! The entire existence of a third kingdom comes virtually out of nowhere, save for My Castle, which is completely ignored in the story! The first chapter of the true route, which requires you to complete the other two routes, just dumps on a whole lot of exposition about stuff you didn't even know, even when you could've been told about it. I just... How did I not notice this when I was playing the game? How has this game managed to keep surprising me with more dumb, even when it's a scene I've already seen several times? ...How could I buy all the DLC for this game? I'm not talking getting both Birthright and Conquest, the shop was selling a copy that had a code containing the other route. I mean, ALL the DLC, including Revelations. I spent so much money on a game where the three routes are: Bland and reeking of favouritism; offensively stupid and just a big advertisement for; one big plot dump out of nowhere that massively expands on a few sentences sprinkled throughout the previous two routes and contains multiple moments that I will touch on as we go and, from the looks of things, some things I didn't even notice. I'm angry, yeah, but I'm also really disappointed.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Taken on its own I think this actually works, though yea it very much makes the other two paths retroactively make no sense whatsoever.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
So all that stuff about Azura singing too hard was bullshit? If the reason Azura dissolves (or disappears) at the end of the first two games is because she lets something slip out that she shouldn't have, then that's a genuinely interesting twist. I'm gonna have to reread those updates because I didn't notice a drat thing.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

PassingPie posted:

So all that stuff about Azura singing too hard was bullshit? If the reason Azura dissolves (or disappears) at the end of the first two games is because she lets something slip out that she shouldn't have, then that's a genuinely interesting twist. I'm gonna have to reread those updates because I didn't notice a drat thing.

I'm gonna guess it's not bullshit, and that both things would make her dissolve.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

PassingPie posted:

It's not. In her supports with her son... did we do those in this LP? I thought we did, but I don't see them listed in the Birthright supports on the front page.

Anyway, she never sang the third verse in Birthright or Conquest, and that is the only one that has anything to do with Valla.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, she doesn't let anything slip.

She was telling the truth when she said overusing her special song would kill her. Completely separate death from speaking about Valla.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm gonna guess it's not bullshit, and that both things would make her dissolve.

If I remember my minerals right, Azurite dissolves in water.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Aaaaand here we go! The most irritating to me as consumer of media is that this doesn't make sense from the others. Like, if this is the ~*~true story~*~ then it should make the others make sense and be ultimately deducable from them.

And is anyone else creeped out by Azura's look over her shoulder as you fall that seems to say "did you really fall for my trick? Pitiful mortal." Or is it just me?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Out! Of! Nowhere! The entire existence of a third kingdom comes virtually out of nowhere, save for My Castle, which is completely ignored in the story! The first chapter of the true route, which requires you to complete the other two routes, just dumps on a whole lot of exposition about stuff you didn't even know, even when you could've been told about it. I just... How did I not notice this when I was playing the game? How has this game managed to keep surprising me with more dumb, even when it's a scene I've already seen several times? ...How could I buy all the DLC for this game? I'm not talking getting both Birthright and Conquest, the shop was selling a copy that had a code containing the other route. I mean, ALL the DLC, including Revelations. I spent so much money on a game where the three routes are: Bland and reeking of favouritism; offensively stupid and just a big advertisement for; one big plot dump out of nowhere that massively expands on a few sentences sprinkled throughout the previous two routes and contains multiple moments that I will touch on as we go and, from the looks of things, some things I didn't even notice. I'm angry, yeah, but I'm also really disappointed.

Don't beat yourself up too much, it was three games for 60$ all together. You're not the idiot who also bought gold and weapon farming DLC as well. :v:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This explains a lot about Azura.

Not only was she horribly treated in Nohr, but she saw her mother die suddenly and knows the same thing could happen to her if she says the wrong thing.
As a result, she develops the mindset that since taking action will kill her, and she doesn't quite know what the boundaries are for what will or won't trigger the curse, she must do nothing whenever possible.
This becomes more and more warped over time, leading her to go through with half-hearted plans and to ignore the great opportunities that fall into her lap.
Eventually, she takes actions that she knows will kill her and leave the world in a doomed state because that means she won't have to deal with all of this anymore, and she can't just spill her guts, die, and leave the world in a less doomed state because, again, she's very bad at planning and seizing good opportunities.

Her actions change on this path, not because she sees a chance (she didn't plan to have Corrine driven away from both sides), but because of Corrine shoving a different mindset in her face that Azura realizes is much more likely to work in the situation they're in.

On paper it makes a kind of sense. But it doesn't feel genuine for some reason.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm maintaining my 'azura is the secret villain' stance

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

RareAcumen posted:

Don't beat yourself up too much, it was three games for 60$ all together. You're not the idiot who also bought gold and weapon farming DLC as well. :v:

No, when I said all the DLC, I meant ALL the DLC. Gold, weapon farming, exp farming, the Awakening trio, the children, not to mention the witch, ballistican and vanguard DLC. I got all of it. All that money spent on this game. :suicide:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i'm maintaining my 'azura is the secret villain' stance

As Azura has the same name as Aqua from Konosuba in Japan, I'm leaning towards "She is just that loving stupid", myself.

We just tragically wound up with Corrin instead of Kazuma, so the plot is a continuing spiral of idiocy.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Inferno-sama posted:

Speaking as someone who also got tricked into buying all the other routes (although not any other DLC) I feel this. I dunno, I started with Conquest and kept hearing how Birthright was the better story (which it... technically is) so I guess I kept hoping that MAYBE this poo poo was going to come together at some point.

Honestly, there are other Fire Emblems with worse game design, but Revelation is still probably my least favorite, and I'm a pretty easy lay for strategy rpgs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

The whole "Nobody can talk about Valla outside of Valla or they explode" is, IMO, the funniest part of Revelation's batshit insane "reveals".
What's worse is that they frame it (as well as this game's writing has been, mind) so saying the name "Valla" is the trigger for the curse to kick in. Which means that as long as Corrine never says "Valla", she doesn't have to worry about the curse. So yes, the entire curse, aka the overhanging roadblock for the next several chapters, can be sidestepped by just simply giving the kingdom of Valla a different name and continuing the conversation normally.

It is amazing how one of the biggest overarching plot points for Fates can be shut down by applying basic logic to the problem. And even more amazing is that the writers and editors thought everyone would buy the excuse completely.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:psyduck:
I think my brain just walked away in disgust here from the sheer idiocy.

As a side note, when was Arete mentioned?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

we're going to have to convince both royal families to literally jump off a cliff, aren't we

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Omobono posted:

:psyduck:
I think my brain just walked away in disgust here from the sheer idiocy.

As a side note, when was Arete mentioned?

Birthright Chapter 22c

Conquest Chapter 16a

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015
They don't even wait for the revelations, eh ?

With that said, do you guys think it's still worth it to get Revelations if I just want to play using Nohrian characters ? I had wanted to grab all three for ~complete story~, but this LP made me rethink that decisions. gently caress the story

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

systemchronos posted:

With that said, do you guys think it's still worth it to get Revelations if I just want to play using Nohrian characters ? I had wanted to grab all three for ~complete story~, but this LP made me rethink that decisions. gently caress the story

Nope. Get Conquest if you wanna play with the Nohrian characters. (Oh, and the LP doesn't really go into it, but there's an online function where you can recruit characters from other players so you can technically get Xander into your Birthright game if you reaaally wanted to, although he won't support obviously.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

systemchronos posted:

conquest is a way better game than revelations even with my criticism of its gameplay. revelations has some of the worst gameplay design in the series. it's basically the world's first fire emblem fates romhack. and not the good kind.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This reads like badly wedged in DLC developed a year after the game shipped. Except that it was apparently planned as the canonical truth-behind-the-scenes from the very beginning. Which makes the whole thing doubly baffling. Somehow the writing manages to keep lurching in surprising directions without ever elevating the plot at all.

What really sticks out to me is that they introduced this whole invisible, unreachable kingdom which is nonetheless completely unrelated to your invisible unreachable castle, and the invisible, unreachable pocket dimensions where everyone raises their kids. The level of disconnect is downright surreal.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Conquest is really fun if you just skip all cutscenes. Revelations is complete and total garbage with no redeeming qualities.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

RevolverDivider posted:

Conquest is really fun if you just skip all cutscenes. Revelations is complete and total garbage with no redeeming qualities.

Yep! All of these posts really cemented how good of a decision it was not to buy any of the other versions besides Conquest.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rangpur posted:

What really sticks out to me is that they introduced this whole invisible, unreachable kingdom which is nonetheless completely unrelated to your invisible unreachable castle, and the invisible, unreachable pocket dimensions where everyone raises their kids. The level of disconnect is downright surreal.

It defies logic for Valla and My Castle to be completely unrelated. I think they just never bothered saying aloud the obvious conclusion that Valla is a My Castle-like space made by Anankos, in the same way yours was actually made by Lilith the fish-dragon.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You're right about the 'defies logic' bit. Anything more than that bespeaks a faith in the writers they've done nothing to deserve. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I probably should've added the MyCastle intro segment because it's been a long while, but Jakob is introduced to the MyCastle by Lilith literally at the end of the last chapter.

So literally about five lines after being shown the mechanics of Mycastle, Azura says "Then... I know a place where no one will find us. We should be safe there."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I mean, how safe is the MyCastle dimension if you can still get invaded while you're in there?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, how safe is the MyCastle dimension if you can still get invaded while you're in there?

Given that we're getting attacked in the place Azura claimed is safe RIGHT AFTER GETTING THERE...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rangpur posted:

This reads like badly wedged in DLC developed a year after the game shipped. Except that it was apparently planned as the canonical truth-behind-the-scenes from the very beginning.
It actually wasn't. The original drafts Kobayashi sent in didn't have anything at all about valla or mycastle or water demons. That's part of why Azura has like two separate backstories, one that kinda makes sense and one that doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The plot hurts worse than that magic trick where a guy sits in a barrel while the magician sticks swords into the sides of the barrel, except with actual swords sticking into the barrel guy.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Junpei posted:

The plot hurts worse than that magic trick where a guy sits in a barrel while the magician sticks swords into the sides of the barrel, except with actual swords sticking into the barrel guy.

The plot hurts worse than that analogy.

• Locked thread